Mexico Mexico - Jenny Chen, 26, Oaxaca, 11 April 2016 #1

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't think there's any evidence of mental illness. I think we should also keep in mind that the Chinese have a very different culture from ours, and also every marriage is different. Maybe there was some love, but also convenience? Maybe they are both just independent people.

I agree with you about their marriage. My focus is on her travel in Mexico. The connection between risk-taking and bipolar disorder is well-documented, so it doesn't seem unreasonable for the thought to cross one's mind. :) That doesn't mean there is evidence, and there's no shame if she is bipolar. However, researching risk-taking Chinese I was surprised to learn that the Chinese are actually more willing to take risks (in investing at least) than Americans. So what seems like Jenny's highly risk-taking behavior in Mexico may, in fact, be somewhat cultural. I wonder how Chinese would view it. Personally, I think it's over-the-top risky regardless of culture and very concerning. JMO

"Compared with those in an individualistic society," say Hsee and Weber, "people in a collectivist society may be more likely to receive help if they are in need. As a result, the adverse outcome of a risky option may not seem as severe to them.

https://www.chicagobooth.edu/capideas/sum98/hsee.htm

Maybe she met her true love after she married hubby and became a citizen. Maybe it was that guy in the picture whom had his arm around her (even though I truly think he was one of the couch surfing rental host) Cough Cough. Trusting culture or not. This was a bipolar moment. Jmo.

Idk. But hubby said she contacted her family everyday but she didn't have a cell phone so it was through skpe. Idk.

A husband in wife living in Seattle got bills to pay on a monthly basis. Now she could afford a 3 month trip around several countries. But he needs a fund me to go to Mexico for 3 days and a investigator that has no more leads besides her getting in a Corona truck.

Now her notepad was supposedly found which was proof that she was there. Idk.

Certain things seems off. On both sides. Jmo.I

Oaxaca city where no tourist would ever visit

Really? :thinking: Except for President Obama’s daughter maybe? I know she has got good security, but still. If it’s good enough for the president’s daughter, it’s probably good enough for tourists to visit.

A Class Trip Meant Much to Mexico

MEXICO CITY — After weighing the risks of traveling to Mexico, the parents of one American teenager decided to allow her to join a school trip to Oaxaca, where students volunteered at an orphanage, visited archaeological sites and sipped vanilla milkshakes on the honey-colored town plaza.

The fact that the parents were President Obama and the first lady, Michelle Obama, and that the teenager was their daughter Malia, thrilled Mexican tourism officials, who are trying to redefine the country’s image as it has struggled with drug violence.

Really? :thinking: Except for President Obama’s daughter maybe? I know she has got good security, but still. If it’s good enough for the president’s daughter, it’s probably good enough for tourists to visit.

Perhaps punctuation caused the misinterpretation, but just to ease your mind, :) Satchie wasn't referring to Oaxaca City. Satchie actually said:

In that remote corner of Mexico (a days drive from Oaxaca city where no tourist would ever visit)...

The reference was to the area quite a distance away from Oaxaca city, not to the city, itself. It would have helped if the parentheses had closed after the word city, but quoting the full sentence in context makes it clear that the comment was about the quality of LE in that remote corner of Mexico, not Oaxaca City.
JMO

Mails Obama does not just have security, she has a dedicated Secret Service detail. We all might let our kids go places with the SS guarding them, that we would not allow otherwise. IMO.

That notebook to me looks like a drug ledger. "Kilos de tortilla" with the frequent dates is very odd to me. That's a lot of tortillas to buy in such a short amount of time. One kilo of tortillas has about 20 tortillas in it. ~200 tortillas really stands out to me, especially with the lack of accompaniments, like meat or cheese or vegetable.
"El Sacudo" means "the Mosquito", which sounds like a cartel nickname.
She also mentions "descontar de cta", which means "taken/deducted from credit". She also mentions an "Antonio's" account, meaning that the balance would be taken from whatever funds or arrangements or stockpiles he has. Makes me think of a dealers account.
"Cacahuates" means peanuts. Peanuts are super cheap in Mexico. Cacahuates is also slang for methamphetamines, which are super popular in MX right now. She further does not mention a weight (peanuts are usually sold by the kilo) or by measure (1-2 packets), which is odd to me.
Her note mentions 18 "medias". Medias are pantyhose, while socks are "calcetines" or "calcetas". I don't know why she would need 18 pairs of pantyhose.
This note is very, very odd, and I fear she may have been mixed up with, or has found herself preyed upon by unsavory characters.

I grew up in a more dangerous part of Mexico. I don't mean to offend or anger anyone. This is just what my experiences tell me. I hope I am wrong.

That notebook to me looks like a drug ledger. "Kilos de tortilla" with the frequent dates is very odd to me. That's a lot of tortillas to buy in such a short amount of time. One kilo of tortillas has about 20 tortillas in it. ~200 tortillas really stands out to me, especially with the lack of accompaniments, like meat or cheese or vegetable.
"El Sacudo" means "the Mosquito", which sounds like a cartel nickname.
She also mentions "descontar de cta", which means "taken/deducted from credit". She also mentions an "Antonio's" account, meaning that the balance would be taken from whatever funds or arrangements or stockpiles he has. Makes me think of a dealers account.
"Cacahuates" means peanuts. Peanuts are super cheap in Mexico. Cacahuates is also slang for methamphetamines, which are super popular in MX right now. She further does not mention a weight (peanuts are usually sold by the kilo) or by measure (1-2 packets), which is odd to me.
Her note mentions 18 "medias". Medias are pantyhose, while socks are "calcetines" or "calcetas". I don't know why she would need 18 pairs of pantyhose.
This note is very, very odd, and I fear she may have been mixed up with, or has found herself preyed upon by unsavory characters.

I grew up in a more dangerous part of Mexico. I don't mean to offend or anger anyone. This is just what my experiences tell me. I hope I am wrong.

Welcome to Websleuths, spots! :greetings: Great post! Thank you for shedding light on the mysterious writing in the notebook, based on your experiences. The content has been really puzzling, especially since some dates are later than 4/11. I'm not at all convinced that any of the writing is Jenny's, other than her name in Chinese. Her husband indicated that he recognized some of it, but another member here said that the writing is not similar to the writing of someone used to writing Chinese characters. Her name indicates that she was there, so I hope the rest of it was written by others unconnected to Jenny. That being said, she seems quite naive and into soaking up experiences, so I don't think it's farfetched to wonder if she might consider it to be "confronting her fears" to help drug dealers transport drugs in some way. I hope not!
JMO

Welcome to Websleuths, spots! :greetings: Great post! Thank you for shedding light on the mysterious writing in the notebook, based on your experiences. The content has been really puzzling, especially since some dates are later than 4/11. I'm not at all convinced that any of the writing is Jenny's, other than her name in Chinese. Her husband indicated that he recognized some of it, but another member here said that the writing is not similar to the writing of someone used to writing Chinese characters. Her name indicates that she was there, so I hope the rest of it was written by others unconnected to Jenny. That being said, she seems quite naive and into soaking up experiences, so I don't think it's farfetched to wonder if she might consider it to be "confronting her fears" to help drug dealers transport drugs in some way. I hope not!
JMO

Thanks! It's only taken me four years to work up the nerve to post. :hilarious:

But furthermore, I forgot to mention, Mexico has a lot of Chinese nationals. Oaxaca is a mining state, and many Chinese companies operate there. A lot have been accused of having cartel ties as well. A few years ago, the US arrested a prominent Chinese businessman for drug smuggling between Mexico and China. Maybe she met someone?

The lack of a phone is a little odd, though, and also indicative of a drug connection. After the arrest of "El Chapo" due to cell signals, many of the cartels have issued orders to discontinue cell phone usage. My .02.

Perhaps punctuation caused the misinterpretation, but just to ease your mind, :) Satchie wasn't referring to Oaxaca City. Satchie actually said:

In that remote corner of Mexico (a days drive from Oaxaca city where no tourist would ever visit)...

The reference was to the area quite a distance away from Oaxaca city, not to the city, itself. It would have helped if the parentheses had closed after the word city, but quoting the full sentence in context makes it clear that the comment was about the quality of LE in that remote corner of Mexico, not Oaxaca City.
JMO

Thanks, yes I have myself been to Oaxaca city, and down to the coastal beaches of Oaxaca, travelling as a female alone without any security detail! I travelled by bus, in the daylight and it's very safe and many tourists including many young women on their own.

As best I can tell, Jenny's been traced to an area north Salina Cruz, a days drive from the city of Oaxaca, and not a tourist destination, tho people do pass through on long-distance buses. If she had just been willing to take the bus, none of this would have happened.

The new missing persons poster, looks a little like an ad for Corona.

It’s not surprising that it’s taking Corona a long time to respond. There must be a thousand trucks like that in Mexico.

d6ANHiL.jpg

Thanks, yes I have myself been to Oaxaca city, and down to the coastal beaches of Oaxaca, travelling as a female alone without any security detail! I travelled by bus, in the daylight and it's very safe and many tourists including many young women on their own.

As best I can tell, Jenny's been traced to an area north Salina Cruz, a days drive from the city of Oaxaca, and not a tourist destination, tho people do pass through on long-distance buses. If she had just been willing to take the bus, none of this would have happened.

Out of curiosity, when did you travel there? I don't know about this particular region, but in general I think the Mexico today is vastly different in safety than it was 15-20 years ago. The intentional homicide rate in Mexico is almost five times that of the US, and that's just the murders that are reported. I bet the particular areas make a huge difference in crime though - some areas are affected by the drug wars and some aren't.

Out of curiosity, when did you travel there? I don't know about this particular region, but in general I think the Mexico today is vastly different in safety than it was 15-20 years ago. The intentional homicide rate in Mexico is almost five times that of the US, and that's just the murders that are reported. I bet the particular areas make a huge difference in crime though - some areas are affected by the drug wars and some aren't.

It’s all relevant. The intentional homicide rate in the United States is 12 x higher then Japan or Iceland. Are you ready to leave the US because of that fact?

Thanks! It's only taken me four years to work up the nerve to post. :hilarious:

But furthermore, I forgot to mention, Mexico has a lot of Chinese nationals. Oaxaca is a mining state, and many Chinese companies operate there. A lot have been accused of having cartel ties as well. A few years ago, the US arrested a prominent Chinese businessman for drug smuggling between Mexico and China. Maybe she met someone?

The lack of a phone is a little odd, though, and also indicative of a drug connection. After the arrest of "El Chapo" due to cell signals, many of the cartels have issued orders to discontinue cell phone usage. My .02.

:welcome4: spots! :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It was 10 years ago. I've been to other parts of Mexico since, and would go back to Oaxaca except they've been having ongoing strikes that occupy the central square.

The drug violence doesn't threaten me - like the mafia, it's between the drug gang members, with some innocent Mexicans being used as pawns.

I feel there's more risk from a few individuals (locals, or other tourists) who might see a solo female as an opportunity to get money/sex. But that's true anywhere.

The company has given the info about the trucks that were on the road in the area where Jenny was, but no names. JR says to keep the pressure on.

I'm not sure to whom JR expects them to give names other than LE. Certainly not to him or his PI's. That could endanger innocent drivers, given that JR is referring to the driver as a suspect and saying that "Jenny was taken." There is no proof of that. Very inflammatory IMO.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/helpfindjenny/permalink/618220611686320/

Everything about this disappearance is hinky to me. The statement "The investigation is heading toward final stages" strikes me as just so very strange from the husband. I don't think I've ever heard anything like it in a situation like this. The almost immediate criticism of "authorities", also seems odd to me, especially without giving any real details of what was asked, the response, etc. Ditto traveling to "confront fear". I love to travel, have followed many, many travel blogs and know quite a few inveterate travelers. I can't think of any whose main reason is to "confront fear".

Likewise, the strange statement about "almost being raped" and nothing more, only to pick up immediately afterward intending to get into more strangers' vehicles. If I'd "almost been raped", I wouldn't get within 100 yards of a stranger's car. Then again, it seems unreal for anyone to be traveling about, hitch hiking through desolate country by themselves these days, let alone a diminutive woman through..... Mexico. I don't care if she lived her entire life in a rural village in China, she's been on the internet for years now. It's not possible to not know about the dangers of such. Simply not possible. Then again, my husband has employees who will tell him with a straight face that certain things are "their reality" -reality is what they want it to be. If one thinks that, I suppose one could relentlessly get into stranger's vehicles after nearly being raped.

It's an odd case, but I don't think it's quite the case we've been presented.

Just some thoughts on hitchhiking: I lived in a different region of Mexico for a couple years recently and hitchhiking was very common there. In parts of the world without a lot of wealth cars are considered much more luxury than necessity and people will often hitchhike as a necessity, to get to work etc. It's especially common to see people hopping into the bed of a pickup to get a ride. The main thing though is that (in my experience) hitchhikers in Mexico are pretty much always 1) men or teenage boys if Mexican or 2) backpackers of both genders from the States, Australia, etc who hear that hitchhiking is "safe" in Mexico and do it to save money but mostly for the adventure. Like it seems like a fun, adventurous thing to do that they couldn't do back home, and it kind of feels like being a hippy in the States back in the 60's or 70's when hitchhiking was still somewhat popular. Like living out a Kerouac fantasy. I can totally see a naive (IMO) Chinese girl who loved adventure seeing that local men and possibly backpackers of both genders hitchhiked and choosing that over the (very cheap and efficient!) bus, just for the adventure and story. It's hard for many of us to imagine, but young people often haven't been through enough bad stuff yet to develop caution and self preservation instincts and choose fun over common sense. I wouldn't have hitchhiked alone as a 30-something married woman in Mexico but I very well might have if I'd been younger and less risk-averse and saw others doing it. There is a lot that's strange or hinky about this case but I don't find the hitchhiking to be all that odd. MOO.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DeeDee214