Mexico Mexico - Jenny Chen, 26, Oaxaca, 11 April 2016 #1

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jeny%20Chen_1461632945363_1915182_ver1.0.jpg

her last message to her friends was 'I'm going hitching,'

Her husband says Chen's citizenship makes it difficult to get help from the U.S. State Department. He's been talking with US & Chinese consulates and Mexican authorities. But he gets no sense that any agency is doing anything to find her.

http://www.king5.com/news/local/seattle-woman-disappears-hitchhiking-through-mexico/153002008

Some things I'd like to know:
1. Did her husband go to Cancun as planned, to meet her? I haven't seen confirmation.
2. I would like to know how they met.
3. What is her educational background?
4. I find it odd that in some posts, she comes across as being quite the penny pincher and possibly even short on cash (or maybe just overly frugal?) but in other posts she seems to have a lot of cash. I wonder if she planned her funds enough to be gone so long.

The two met while he was living in China in 2008. It wasn't love at first sight, he admitted. "We met at a place where everybody practices English. And she asked me if I liked Kentucky Fried Chicken," Reinhard said. "Just a very warm and dedicated person. And I'm not the easiest one to get along with and we just stayed the course. Yeah. Just fell in love," he added.

The two eventually moved to the U.S.. Chen was was granted permanent residency and was working toward becoming a citizen. But she struggled to find work. One last adventure on her own seemed like the perfect way to refocus. On March 1, she ventured down to Mexico.

They kept in close contact through Skype and Facebook as his wife posted photos of her adventures in different cities along the way.

The two agreed to meet up at the Cancun airport on April 15, but Chen never showed up. The last time family and friends heard from her was four days earlier.

http://komonews.com/news/local/seat...oes-missing-during-backpacking-trip-to-mexico

he gets no sense that any agency is doing anything to find her

Sigh, harsh dose of reality for this young couple. I think of the story of Icarus, his father made him wings, but warned him not to fly too close to the sun. Icarus was so excited he flew higher and higher, but the sun melted the wax his wings were made of, and he crashed to earth.

Another possibility is that maybe she wanted to disappear. She seems like such a free spirit and apparently was taking this trip to figure out what to do with her life. Her last contact with her husband was not long before they planned to meet up in Cancun. So it does seem possible that she got cold feet, and decided to go off the radar. At any rate, I sure hope she that she hasn't met with foul play.

Another possibility is that maybe she wanted to disappear. She seems like such a free spirit and apparently was taking this trip to figure out what to do with her life. Her last contact with her husband was not long before they planned to meet up in Cancun. So it does seem possible that she got cold feet, and decided to go off the radar. At any rate, I sure hope she that she hasn't met with foul play.

The problem is, she hasn't contacted any friends, either. It would be much easier to just let her go, in fact to let all missing persons go and just say, hey, maybe it was their choice. But are you willing to let murderers get away with it? Because that's exactly what they're hoping will happen.

So true. I just find this situation rather odd. She left her husband behind for a 3-4 month solo backpacking trip to "clear her head and figure out what she wants to do with her life" according to her husband (KOMO news 4/24). I truly hope that nothing bad has happened to her and that she is found soon.

BTW, I am new here. Am I supposed to provide a link if I quote from a news article?

Ever since seeing the news and the Facebook group "Help Find Jenny" something isn't adding up, I have a gut feeling that the relationship between the husband and Jenny wasn't good and she is executing a plan to leave him. He isn't operating with a sense of urgency in his posts. If it were my wife "missing" I would be in Mexico right now, not "I'm going Friday" also he is not quickly perusing phone records, or filed a missing person report locally which would help pave the way to getting access to those records if he is not on the accounts.

She talked of moving on to Cuba and NYC next for "1 month and 8 days" for each part of the trip.....he now says that he will "check to see if she got on a flight," but again no urgency noted.

This smells off to me.

One of the groups Jenny was a member of on Facebook is called Mochileros en Mexico. I found the following entry on Wikipedia (you may have to hit the translate button) https://es.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mochilero

Let's skip ahead... from her facebook photos...there us a bus.. the eCPNA MN is an activist movement in MX Oxaca. She was concerned with the ndigenous coming in to protest police... all of this can be found on Facebook.

She states that they come by bus to protest the police for help, but she doesn't express concern that I can tell. She doesn't speak of concern or being scared at all. Have you read the Husbands comments on the Facebook group? Seems to be a lack of urgency happening, if it were my wife I would have reported missing, filed report, started the process to obtain phone records, flight records, etc....he states "I should check flight records" but there is no fire from the comments that I can tell. Troubled relationship? Who leaves for 4+ months across the globe alone? Did he actually go to mexico to meet her, it is never stated anywhere that I have read.

if it were my wife I would have reported missing, filed report, started the process to obtain phone records, flight records, etc.....

How would you file that missing person report? Go to your local police station? They'd tell you, "can't help, Mexico's outside our jurisdiction" - Go to Mexico? Do you speak Spanish, can you figure out the Mexican bureaucracy? They'd tell you, "contact her consulate" - but the US consulate says "can't help, she's not a US citizen", so now you'll have to go to the Chinese embassy, which he has done to try to get them concerned with her case. Meanwhile only police can obtain cell data or flight records, and then only within their own country unless Interpol takes it on, and that's not going to happen unless the Chinese government makes it happen.

Like many of you, I am very worried about her. So many things could have happened to her. Her FB page is so fascinating, yet scary. She trusted so many people - praying she's found safe.

I don't think anyone has posted the link yet to the "Help Find Jenny" page:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/helpfindjenny/?fref=nf

It sounds like her husband has hired an investigator and they are tracking her last known route and trying to get access to any video cameras. He has reached out to police, news agencies, consulate, etc. and is posting updates on all that...

From other cases in Latin America I have followed, what they are doing, plastering the route with posters and getting onto local TV is the best bet. The local people are observant and she would have been memorable. Or someone might recognize her backpack, etc.

Typically the relatives and friends of a missing person need to make a strong and passionate plea to engage local and police sympathies and a sense of urgency in her case. IMO If no one seems to care, they won't stick their neck out and volunteer info. I wonder where her parents are in all this. They would probably be more succesful in rousing the Chinese consulate staff.

Here is her couchsurfing.com account https://www.couchsurfing.com/people/jenny-poo/ - no mention of her husband and she mentions seattle but wouldn't you list that as your current location if you intended that to be? Also there are a lot of people asking if he has contacted her family in China, and I have not seen a response yet.

Here is her couchsurfing.com account https://www.couchsurfing.com/people/jenny-poo/ - no mention of her husband and she mentions seattle but wouldn't you list that as your current location if you intended that to be? Also there are a lot of people asking if he has contacted her family in China, and I have not seen a response yet.

In her interests

4) place super cold feet on my husband's warm belly on winter and hearing his vulnerable screaming

She mentioned in the "about me" section on the couchsurfing.com site that I find odd because she's married:

"Now I try to do things that I always want to do which is traveling alone."

I find from the pictures and comments on her FB page that she seems very trusting and I really hope that hasn't gotten her in trouble.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SusyQ