Mexico Mexico - Jenny Chen, 26, Oaxaca, 11 April 2016 #1

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
That weibo link used to go to Jenny's account, but now it seems to show several different people's pages. I wonder if her account was taken down. I think it was the screenshot in English that was mod-removed from the post, as we can't post screenshots from SM. Her husband lived in China, but he may not be fluent if he was associating with people who wanted to practice their English, like Jenny. Chinese is one of the most difficult languages to learn, per my googling.

weird,I wonder if it was weibo that disabled the link? the cached version can still be read if you do a google search of the whole link.

Backpacking, hitchhiking and couchsurfing through Mexico? Does not sound safe at all...jmo.

I first read about this case yesterday and this keeps sticking in my brain. I've traveled quite a bit in Mexico and know a lot of adventurous travelers. Not one of them would ever backpack and hitchhike their way around Mexico. I don't think any sane person would, especially a female traveling alone. And her husband was OK with her doing this? The thought of it just really blows my mind. IMO something is "off" about this whole story.

The Husband said he was going to file a Missing persons report - searching here https://mp.waspc.org/ I do not find any record of Jenny Chen ?!? Why has this not been filed, another piece that doesn't add up.

The Husband said he was going to file a Missing persons report - searching here https://mp.waspc.org/ I do not find any record of Jenny Chen ?!? Why has this not been filed, another piece that doesn't add up.

I looked under his name too. The only thing I can think of is that, because it was already filed in Mexico, LE didn't see the need to file it in Seattle. She didn't disappear from there. Husband did say he had called and local LE were coming the next day to talk to him. This was before he left for Mexico last week.

OT--Every time I see your screen name I read it as cougarBRAIN. Makes me chuckle every time. :)

I first read about this case yesterday and this keeps sticking in my brain. I've traveled quite a bit in Mexico and know a lot of adventurous travelers. Not one of them would ever backpack and hitchhike their way around Mexico. I don't think any sane person would, especially a female traveling alone. And her husband was OK with her doing this? The thought of it just really blows my mind. IMO something is "off" about this whole story.

I don't think it would even be safe in the U.S. honestly. But in Mexico it's even more dangerous. I know some women think they "should" be able to go wherever they want without being fearful and without taking reasonable precautions, but it just isn't realistic in today's world. That goes for men too. I can't wrap my head around their thinking...or lack of it. It just flies in the face of rationality. JMO I hope she comes out of this OK.

OT--Every time I see your screen name I read it as cougarBRAIN. Makes me chuckle every time. :)

You wouldn't believe how many times I get "Brain" in written form, even on badges when I first showed up in corporate America after college :).

Back on topic - my understanding though is that you should file with your local authority, for which would open up the timeline to obtaining legal rights to access records of your spouse (phone, credit, bank, etc) by not doing this he is delaying that possibility as well as it would also put into play the flagging of her records in all passport systems which would alert if her passport was used, although her citizenship is probably an issue here?

Also I haven't read it anywhere, but are they "Married" within a US jurisdiction?

He Lists his relationship status as "Single" on Facebook?

You wouldn't believe how many times I get "Brain" in written form, even on badges when I first showed up in corporate America after college :).

Back on topic - my understanding though is that you should file with your local authority, for which would open up the timeline to obtaining legal rights to access records of your spouse (phone, credit, bank, etc) by not doing this he is delaying that possibility as well as it would also put into play the flagging of her records in all passport systems which would alert if her passport was used, although her citizenship is probably an issue here?

Also I haven't read it anywhere, but are they "Married" within a US jurisdiction?

That's funny! At least Brain is complimentary. :)

I can see that filing with local authorities would be advantageous. I hope he did and that it just hasn't made it onto the current list yet. I'm not sure where they married.

I wonder if their relationship is a marriage of convenience? Maybe she met someone down there and decided to not come back - probably unlikely, but you never know.

I'm also curious about their marriage, but we aren't really allowed to discuss it. Just seems really odd that a young married woman would go off on this type of adventure alone. Combined with the how unsafe it is to do this in Mexico, just adds to my suspicion. Husband's FB posts almost sound like he is enjoying the attention and excitement. Odd, definitely odd.

There have been no real updates for a couple of days, except to say that things are positive in Oaxaca. Jenny's husband has said that he's been advised not to post details of his activities on SM, which I can understand. I see that donations have stopped for a couple of days also. Just reporting. No opinion. :) I hope Jenny is found.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/helpfindjenny/

I wonder if their relationship is a marriage of convenience? Maybe she met someone down there and decided to not come back - probably unlikely, but you never know.

Well, it doesn’t seem like a marriage of convenience for him. Otherwise I doubt he would be spending this much time and effort to find her.

I'm confused now whether this is some sort of fundraising hoax, or an actual missing person. In reality, it strikes me as extremely odd that a woman from China, married and employed as a banker in the US, would suddenly quit her job for a hitchhiking adventure in Mexico. Additionally, she apparently had a near miss with two men shortly prior to her disappearance, and that did not scare her enough to play it safe. None of that sounds right.

Did she have any type of psychological disorder? The above actions and decisions almost sound like a death wish.

Here's the latest post on FB from Jenny's husband summarizing his trip to Oaxaca. It looks like he is home in Seattle.

Mostly he met with people, including a Chinese business group and embassy security, Oaxaca police, got lots of publicity and traveled the area extensively. He says all this should produce results.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/helpfindjenny/permalink/609705225871192/

I see from FB that he left home 4/29 and arrived home 5/4. So he had four days in Mexico apparently. I suppose he has to work, but I can't imagine leaving there without Jenny or answers. I wish he had spent more time there. JMO

This could be the perfect crime, but how could you convince your spouse to hitchhike across Mexico?

BBM

This is what concerns me, maybe she had no worries or was very very very naive... but I cannot imagine someone who cares about another person, ESPECIALLY a significant other, ever allowing someone to travel through mexico like that. It's almost sending them to their deaths, look at the surfers a couple months ago...and they traveled in a group and in their own van.

If he wasnt so active in the search I'd almost think she was encouraged in hopes she disappeared. I mean who does that??

I'm confused now whether this is some sort of fundraising hoax, or an actual missing person. In reality, it strikes me as extremely odd that a woman from China, married and employed as a banker in the US, would suddenly quit her job for a hitchhiking adventure in Mexico. Additionally, she apparently had a near miss with two men shortly prior to her disappearance, and that did not scare her enough to play it safe. None of that sounds right.

What is your source that she suddenly quit her job, or that she was employed as a banker? I have not read that anywhere.

Did she have any type of psychological disorder? The above actions and decisions almost sound like a death wish.

46% of people have some type of psychological disorder. So the odds are about 50/50.

What is your source that she suddenly quit her job, or that she was employed as a banker? I have not read that anywhere.

46% of people have some type of psychological disorder. So the odds are about 50/50.

I must have read it here in the last 10 pages, because I haven't been reading about this case anywhere else.

<snip>
BBM

I must have read it here in the last 10 pages, because I haven't been reading about this case anywhere else.

The information about working in a bank (Bank of America) is in her Couch Surfing profile. She says she worked there for a year and quit because she wasn't passionate about it.
https://www.couchsurfing.com/people/jenny-poo

However, a MSM article mentions that she had trouble finding work and took this trip to "refocus."
http://komonews.com/news/local/seat...oes-missing-during-backpacking-trip-to-mexico

BBM

The information about working in a bank (Bank of America) is in her Couch Surfing profile. She says she worked there for a year and quit because she wasn't passionate about it.
https://www.couchsurfing.com/people/jenny-poo

However, a MSM article mentions that she had trouble finding work and took this trip to "refocus."
http://komonews.com/news/local/seat...oes-missing-during-backpacking-trip-to-mexico

OK thanks, that says she was a bank teller for Bank of America. That could mean that she worked there one day.

That&#8217;s the article that I read too. It says she wanted to go on one last adventure before she put herself in the job market and started working in Seattle. Thats important I think. There is a big difference between her quitting her job to go on a trip, and her going on a trip because she didn&#8217;t have anything else to do.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member