Mexico Mexico - Jenny Chen, 26, Oaxaca, 11 April 2016 #1

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't know how shy she is meant to have been, but many times in my life I've had people ask me to use their camera to take a photo of them. I would say it's very likely that the person who took the photo had nothing to do with her at all.

Welcome, TheAutomaton :)

:welcome5:

Search continues for missing woman
Jenny Chen left Oaxaca for Cancún on April 11 but didn't show up

- See more at: http://mexiconewsdaily.com/news/search-continues-missing-chinese-woman/#sthash.o9lAS5LL.dpuf

"A private investigator has identified the route taken by a missing Chinese woman who was last seen in the city of Oaxaca 16 days ago."

Snip

"But he*worries that she has been picked up by a human trafficking ring. “The worst possible scenario is she’s been humanly trafficked and she’s out of the country already, by the cartels because she’s cute, and she’s young, and she can make money for wrongdoers,” he told KING 5 News."

Snip

"Before leaving Oaxaca, Chen told a friend she was going to hitchhike to Cancún. Reinhard said he urged her not to and sent her money for bus fare, but doesn’t know if she took his advice."

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oaxaca

"Oaxaca is located in*Southwestern Mexico.[10]*It is bordered by the states of*Guerrero*to the west,*Puebla*to the northwest,Veracruz*to the north,*Chiapas*to the east. To the south, Oaxaca has a significant coastline on the Pacific Ocean."

Snip

"The state is located in the south of Mexico, bordered by the states of Puebla, Veracruz, Chiapas and Guerrero with the Pacific Ocean to the south. It has a territory of 93,967*km2*(36,281*sq*mi), accounting for less than 5% of Mexico's territory.[27][28]*Here several mountain chains come together,[16]*with the elevation varying from sea level to 3,759*m (12,333*ft)*asl,[28]*averaging at 1,500*m (4,921*ft) asl.[16]*Oaxaca has one of the most rugged terrains in Mexico, with mountain ranges that abruptly fall into the sea. Between these mountains are mostly narrow valleys, canyons and ravines. Major elevations in the state include Cempoaltepetl (3,396*m or 11,142*ft asl), El Espinazo del Diablo, Nindú Naxinda Yucunino and Cerro Encantado.[28]*Oaxaca's has 533*km (331*mi) of coastline with nine major bays.[12]"

*more at link

Snip

"The state has a total population of about 3.5*million, with women outnumbering men by 150,000 and about 60% of the population under the age of 30. It is ranked tenth in population in the country. Fifty three percent of the population lives in rural areas."

In the article I just posted above, her husband said she enjoys hiking. I wonder if she might have planned a hike along the way to Cancun, or had planned to go there directly without stopping. The Wikipedia link also mentions some National Parks:

Lagunas de Chacahua National Park
Benito Juárez National Park
Huatulco National Park
Tehuacán-Cuicatlán Biosphere Reserve

"The state has a total of 18,933.4*km (11,764.7*mi) of roadways. Most of these roadways are in the Papaloapam, Mixteca, Isthmus and Coast Regions.[65]*The primary highways in the state include Oaxaca (city)-Cuacnopalan toll road and the Pan-American highway, which crosses the state completely from Puebla to Chiapas.*Federal highway 200*hugs the coast connecting communities such as Puerto Escondido, Salinas Cruz and Huatulco with Acapulco and Chiapas.*Federal highway 185, also called "Transístmica," crosses the state from the Veracruz border to the coast at*Salina Cruz.*Federal highway 125*runs from the Puebla state line along the western part of the state.*Federal highway 135*leads from Puebla to Oaxaca City then down to Pochutla.*Federal highway 175runs from the Veracruz border to the city of Oaxaca. Other highways include*Federal highway 147*and*Federal highway 182.[66]"

Snip

Local transportation services

"Local public transportation is offered various local business using pickup trucks, buses and small cargo trucks.(eumed) Oaxaca city has separate first class and second class*bus*stations, offering services to most places within the state of Oaxaca, including the coastal resorts of*Huatulco,*Puerto Escondido,*Puerto Ángel*andPinotepa Nacional, and also long-distance services to*Puebla*and*Mexico City*and other Mexican locations such as*Veracruz. Intercity bus services is provided by companies such as ADO, Cristòbal Colòn, SUR, Fletes y Pasajes and AU. Smaller providers provide service in vans, especially between the city of Oaxaca and the coast. These operators have existed only semi-legally in the past but legal issues have since been resolved."

Snip

There appear to be an infinite number of Tourist Attractions:
*See Landmarks and tourist attractions

*As I mentioned before, I am afraid this is an absolute needle in a haystack, as far as me sleuthing from the states is concerned. She literally could be anywhere, and if she got in the car with the wrong person....I feel powerless and helpless. I hope that the PI/authorities/agencies/government(s) can ascertain just what happened to Jenny. This will be a very tough case, I think.

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• 250px-Oaxaca_in_Mexico.svg.png
    250px-Oaxaca_in_Mexico.svg.png
    22.6 KB · Views: 316
  • 250px-Oaxaca_regions_and_districts.svg.png
    250px-Oaxaca_regions_and_districts.svg.png
    30.4 KB · Views: 318
attachment.php

Source: google.com

Attachments

• downloadfile.jpg
    downloadfile.jpg
    33.6 KB · Views: 341
Yep, my first hunch. Unfortunately she most likely got lured by the wrong person and would be a perfect candidate for a human trafficking. Her hubby does seem pretty positive on FB though but IMO, it is hard to save her if she really did get trafficked into a sex trafficking ring unless hubby can fork out a ton of money and find the 'right' people.

- See more at: http://mexiconewsdaily.com/news/search-continues-missing-chinese-woman/#sthash.o9lAS5LL.dpuf

"A private investigator has identified the route taken by a missing Chinese woman who was last seen in the city of Oaxaca 16 days ago."

Snip

"But he*worries that she has been picked up by a human trafficking ring. “The worst possible scenario is she’s been humanly trafficked and she’s out of the country already, by the cartels because she’s cute, and she’s young, and she can make money for wrongdoers,” he told KING 5 News."

Snip

"Before leaving Oaxaca, Chen told a friend she was going to hitchhike to Cancún. Reinhard said he urged her not to and sent her money for bus fare, but doesn’t know if she took his advice."

Snip

Snip

The husband is thinking along the lines of human trafficking, not the PI. What makes the husband think that this has anything to do with human trafficking?

"Reinhard has hired a private investigator in the search for his wife. But he worries that she has been picked up by a human trafficking ring. “The worst possible scenario is she’s been humanly trafficked and she’s out of the country already, by the cartels because she’s cute, and she’s young, and she can make money for wrongdoers,” he told KING 5 News."

- See more at: http://mexiconewsdaily.com/news/sea...-chinese-woman/#sthash.o9lAS5LL.66wcbjnO.dpuf

Personally, I think husband is hoping that she is with a human trafficking ring because that means that she is alive, but I don't think he has any foundation for thinking that her disappearance has something to do with human trafficking.

My guess is that Jenny's husband suspects this as a possibility due to its prevalence, and as Otto mentioned, because it's hope that she could still be alive. I would guess authorities have reiterated this scenario as a possibility as well. If she got into a car with the wrong person, etc, I imagine whoever took her and brought her to traffickers might get paid a fee.

Human trafficking in Cancun
https://becausewecanmx.wordpress.com/2012/10/19/human-trafficking-in-cancun/

"Human trafficking is the third most lucrative crime in the world. The purpose of human trafficking is quite simple: prostitution and slavery. In other cases it involves organ extraction. Mexico as a country is the #1 supplier of sex slaves in America. Cancun ranks number 3 in the country as the place with the most cases of human trafficking. Internationally, Cancun is getting to be known as America’s Thailand when it comes to human trafficking."

FTR, in so many cases here on WS, trafficking often comes up as a possibility. While I am doubtful that this is the case in some of these other cases, I am not doubtful as to this being a strong possibility in Jenny's case. Jmo. Again, as others have stated, it could be that she encountered the wrong person, who is not affiliated with trafficking. Definitely a strong possibility. But I am afraid that trafficking is on the table here too imo. And slavery, particularly sex slavery. Why? Because of the statistics and the location. I understand that trafficking occurs in the States as well, and that some major US cities are HUBS for this...wherever Jenny is, I do not think it is good. I'm hopeful a ransom call might be made...sigh. :(

It seems QR has a history of "gender violence":

Series of femicides cast a dark shadow over Mexico's 'sunshine state'
Horrific murders of Mexican women in region that includes Cancun and Playa del Carmen has community demanding justice
http://www.theguardian.com/world/20...sts-a-dark-shadow-over-mexicos-sunshine-state

"Quintana Roo is Mexico’s sunshine state, a booming tourists’ playground which draws record numbers of holiday-makers to its golden beaches, coral reefs, Mayan ruins and all-inclusive package deals.

But in recent weeks, the Caribbean region has been badly shaken by a string of brutal murders of women – which authorities have seemed keen to downplay."

Snip

"Within the space of three weeks, seven women have been murdered, bringing the total to 18 so far this year. At least two of the victims were strangled, and several had been sexually assaulted before their bodies were dumped in public places. All the women were Mexican.

This latest surge in murders has renewed tensions between activists against gender violence, and government officials who accuse them of trying to derail tourism and economic progress."

Snip

"Quintana Roo still has one of the highest rates of human trafficking in Mexico,according to UN’s World Tourism Organization. The state law against trafficking remains stuck in Congress due to a party political deadlock.

Quintana Roo also has the highest level of reported sexual violence in the country. It has no DNA lab and only one women’s refuge."

My guess is that Jenny's husband suspects this as a possibility due to its prevalence, and as Otto mentioned, because it's hope that she could still be alive. I would guess authorities have reiterated this scenario as a possibility as well. If she got into a car with the wrong person, etc, I imagine whoever took her and brought her to traffickers might get paid a fee.

Human trafficking in Cancun
https://becausewecanmx.wordpress.com/2012/10/19/human-trafficking-in-cancun/

"Human trafficking is the third most lucrative crime in the world. The purpose of human trafficking is quite simple: prostitution and slavery. In other cases it involves organ extraction. Mexico as a country is the #1 supplier of sex slaves in America. Cancun ranks number 3 in the country as the place with the most cases of human trafficking. Internationally, Cancun is getting to be known as America’s Thailand when it comes to human trafficking."

I can see an uneducated, naive woman from South America getting caught up in human trafficking, but an educated woman from the US is not a good candidate for human trafficking because she is not going to prostitute herself to compensate her traffickers.

I've never heard of a banker from the US being caught up in human trafficking.

I think I've driven my point home about the specific dangers of Mexico (yes anywhere can be dangerous), but one more article; again, this subject is infinite:

Texas warns students against going to Mexico on spring break
http://www.nydailynews.com/news/wor...break-partiers-avoid-mexico-article-1.2129178

"Spring break revelers should avoid Mexico because of the danger of drug cartel violence, Texas officials announced.

Kidnappings, shoot-outs, decapitations and mass grave sites have been reported in resort areas including, Guadalajara, Cancun, Puerto Vallarta and other tourist sites.

The Texas Department of Public Safety has advised students against traveling to Mexico in recent years as drug cartel members increasingly engaged in kidnapping and ransom demands as a standard form of their violent business."

Again, hoping for a ransom demand.

I can see an uneducated, naive woman from South America getting caught up in human trafficking, but an educated woman from the US is not a good candidate for human trafficking because she is not going to prostitute herself to compensate her traffickers.

I've never heard of a banker from the US being caught up in human trafficking.

I know what you mean. I'm thinking more along the lines of being held against her will as a sex slave.

She's too bright, too knowledgeable to keep alive.

Say hypothetically someone is holding her as a sex slave. If she's successfully drugged and/or restrained her smarts are not a threat to the person(s) holding her as they have total control and could care less about her academic abilities. Hard to explain, but what I'm trying to say is that they might just view her as a commodity, and perhaps might not realize/understand or even care what her educational and vocational background is. To them, she might just be another female sex slave. They might not discriminate, especially if she is being confined. I would venture further to guess that there have been educated people who have become victims in the past. Again, this is all hypothetical discussion, brainstorming and speculation.

I see what you guys mean about her not possibly being the ideal victim for them, but remember she was naive and vulnerable from the beginning, traveling alone, etc. Maybe she is someone they would not keep alive, then again maybe she is. Being asian would make her more unique and perhaps desirable/profitable. They also might be considering a ransom situation, which I'm hoping for.

Then again, the fact that she could bring unwanted heat to them (if the word is out on the streets, which it sounds like it is), she could be considered a liability, which would not lend itself to being kept alive.

I'm hoping that if she is being held against her will, the fact that she is Asian might make her stand out more as far as someone calling in a tip.

Maybe it is as basic as her just encountering the wrong person, with no aspects of trafficking, cartels, kidnapping for ransom, sex slavery...but these thoughts can not help but cross my mind considering this is Mexico. Again I've stated anything can happen anywhere, and does happen. But Mexico has been on my list as a place NOT TO travel to due to all the crazy, crazy violence I've heard about over the past few years. I used to travel there frequently (resort destinations). It is obvious that the latest violence does carry over to the resort destinations.

I just envision something like the movie "Taken" as a strong possibility. Jmo. Again, anything could have happened here.

I definitely don't think there is anyway she left on her own. This is a person who loved sharing her life with social media. I've seen at least 3 sites she updates regularly.... Plus the crowdsourcing website hasn't been logged onto since.

So that leaves bad options.... Kidnap for random (best case scenario), or other terrible possibilities.

Is there any way they have the capability in Mexico to find out where your last phone last pinged?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Her husband's Facebook page is linked on msm, but not sure if that makes it within TOS to link it here? There's an ironic comment dated March 7..sad irony.
http://mexiconewsdaily.com/news/woman-missing-on-oaxaca-cancun-trip/

There are also comments on the fundraising page, not linkable here, as far as some details re who all have been notified (senators, gov't, press, local congressmen...) It also says he's raising money for the PI, search as well as possible ransom.

I just envision something like the movie "Taken" as a strong possibility. Jmo. Again, anything could have happened here.

I've been so confused with these trafficking scenarios coming up, now I realize it's because I don't pay attention to Hollywood thrillers.

The guy who the plot of Taken was based on, made the whole thing up as a way to pass himself off as a hero and get lucrative work. "Hillar aged 67, was sentenced last year to 21 months in prison followed by three years of supervised release. His daughter, neither kidnapped nor involved in human trafficking is alive and well." http://www.digitaljournal.com/article/327330#ixzz47TbsNSNp

There's a video imbedded in this article that give an idea of trafficking in southern Mexico http://fusion.net/story/17321/is-rape-the-price-to-pay-for-migrant-women-chasing-the-american-dream/ Not at all thrilling, just dreary cheap bars and thousands of girls from poverty-stricken, overcrowded Latin American.

Jenny Chen arrived in Oaxaca on April 2 from the State of Puebla.

The last time knowledge of her whereabouts was held last April 11, when she resumed her journey to the southeast of the country. The Oaxaca Attorney investigates two routes that could be taken: Oaxaca-Tuxtepec or Oaxaca-Istmo. Since then, nothing is known about it.

Joaquín Carrillo, General prosecutor of Oaxaca, indicates that there are three points where at least she was last seen, we want to confirm whether hse boarded the bus, if she boarded a vehicle to take her to the destination stating that would be addressed and that this route or this research will allow us to establish with certainty whether or not she went out of the state of Oaxaca.

http://seunonoticias.mx/2016/05/01/...-estadounidense-identificada-como-jenny-chen/

Do we have the bus schedules and stops yet? If she did board a bus, maybe she was taken from a stop when they stopped for a break? I hope they have flyers up in all these areas.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DeeDee214