Mexico Mexico - Jenny Chen, 26, Oaxaca, 11 April 2016 #1

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
OK thanks, that says she was a bank teller for Bank of America. That could mean that she worked there one day.

That’s the article that I read too. It says she wanted to go on one last adventure before she put herself in the job market and started working in Seattle. Thats important I think. There is a big difference between her quitting her job to go on a trip, and her going on a trip because she didn’t have anything else to do.

Right, it doesn't indicate that she quit her job in order to travel. But she had worked more than a day. Here's a paraphrase of the full quote below the brief one saying she "was a bank teller":

She says she moved to the U.S. in 2013 when she was 24. She worked in the bank for a year. Because she was not happy and passionate about the job, she quit. Now she tries to do things she always wanted to do, like traveling alone. She wants to learn to confront fear by traveling.

https://www.couchsurfing.com/people/jenny-poo

I don't think the article was completely accurate indicating that "she struggled to find work" because she actually had worked and quit. Perhaps she struggled to find work she loved and an actual career. I'm not sure how to interpret what her husband said, but her profile on couchsurfing and his statement aren't necessarily as contradictory as I thought at first glance:

"She's younger and she wanted to go on one last adventure until she puts herself in the job market and starts working in Seattle," said Reinhard. "It was a backpacking trip before she started getting serious with her life and finding herself a little bit."

http://komonews.com/news/local/seat...oes-missing-during-backpacking-trip-to-mexico

Why does the husband not seem upset at all? I'm telling you.... This is all a scam to get money from the ******** account.. Don't trust him at all.

It all seems very scripted. She's probably hiding In a place in Mexico that they both agreed on until it's safe to be "found"

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Why does the husband not seem upset at all? I'm telling you.... This is all a scam to get money from the ******** account.. Don't trust him at all.

It all seems very scripted. She's probably hiding In a place in Mexico that they both agreed on until it's safe to be "found"

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well, of course anything is possible, but I hope you are wrong. I'm already more cynical than I want to be about strange cases. I think he's kind of an "odd duck" so I'm not sure what to think about how he is acting. Innocent people can seem strange. :) I always try to err on the side of giving the benefit of the doubt in case something terrible has happened. That way I don't have to feel guilty for being suspicious of someone innocent. But my thoughts do wander...

I don't think I've known Jenny's Chinese name on her passport before. Her husband said on a 4/26 post that it's Qundan Chen. I don't know if that helps us with sleuthing, but you never know.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/helpfindjenny/permalink/606072052901176/

I've followed this case off and on. I rarely believe that human trafficking or abduction for sex/labor is involved. But this time I suspect that it is a stronger possibility here.

Right, it doesn't indicate that she quit her job in order to travel. But she had worked more than a day. Here's a paraphrase of the full quote below the brief one saying she "was a bank teller":

She says she moved to the U.S. in 2013 when she was 24. She worked in the bank for a year. Because she was not happy and passionate about the job, she quit. Now she tries to do things she always wanted to do, like traveling alone. She wants to learn to confront fear by traveling.

https://www.couchsurfing.com/people/jenny-poo

I don't think the article was completely accurate indicating that "she struggled to find work" because she actually had worked and quit. Perhaps she struggled to find work she loved and an actual career. I'm not sure how to interpret what her husband said, but her profile on couchsurfing and his statement aren't necessarily as contradictory as I thought at first glance:

"She's younger and she wanted to go on one last adventure until she puts herself in the job market and starts working in Seattle," said Reinhard. "It was a backpacking trip before she started getting serious with her life and finding herself a little bit."

http://komonews.com/news/local/seat...oes-missing-during-backpacking-trip-to-mexico

OK I stand corrected again. Then she worked from June 2013 to June 2014, That still means she has not worked for almost two years. That’s a difficult employment situation. It makes me think she was just chronically unemployed, and she was bored, with staying at home. So she wanted to take a trip and meet people.

I'm confused now whether this is some sort of fundraising hoax, or an actual missing person. In reality, it strikes me as extremely odd that a woman from China, married and employed as a banker in the US, would suddenly quit her job for a hitchhiking adventure in Mexico. Additionally, she apparently had a near miss with two men shortly prior to her disappearance, and that did not scare her enough to play it safe. None of that sounds right.

Did she have any type of psychological disorder? The above actions and decisions almost sound like a death wish.

She was employed as a banker in the US? Is this new information? I thought she went to Mexico to "find herself" because she couldn't find employment in the US.

Well, of course anything is possible, but I hope you are wrong. I'm already more cynical than I want to be about strange cases. I think he's kind of an "odd duck" so I'm not sure what to think about how he is acting. Innocent people can seem strange. :) I always try to err on the side of giving the benefit of the doubt in case something terrible has happened. That way I don't have to feel guilty for being suspicious of someone innocent. But my thoughts do wander...

Great post, Lilibet. Thanks for putting things into perspective. After looking through the pictures on Jenny's FB page and reading her Couchsurfing profile I've changed my thoughts on the situation. I agree with your assessment of hubby being an "odd duck" and think some of us are/were reading too much into his reaction to her disappearance. I'm afraid something horrible has happened to Jenny and this is not going to end well. There is vast nothingness in Mexico between Oaxaca and Cancun. Unless they get a strong lead on where she was when she disappeared, it is very likely that she will never be found.

There is a big age difference between her and the husband, twenty years or so.

Maybe she had a change of heart. IDK.

OK I stand corrected again. Then she worked from June 2013 to June 2014, That still means she has not worked for almost two years. That’s a difficult employment situation. It makes me think she was just chronically unemployed, and she was bored, with staying at home. So she wanted to take a trip and meet people.

Not to correct you again :)...I agree that she was unemployed for quite awhile, but just for the sake of accuracy in the timeline, we don't know that she started working the exact month she arrived in Seattle, June 2013. She doesn't say that, so it could have been a long stretch of not working at both ends of the year she worked...whenever it started. It seems she was bored working too. She's an adventurer.

She was employed as a banker in the US? Is this new information? I thought she went to Mexico to "find herself" because she couldn't find employment in the US.

Her Couch Surfing profile with the information about the bank job was linked earlier somewhere in the thread, but the bank job part of it probably wasn't discussed on the thread, so it seems new. After she quit the bank job because she wasn't passionate about it, she apparently couldn't find employment. It could be that no one was hiring or that she was looking for a job she would love or didn't know what she wanted. We don't know. So her husband said the travel was a good way to find herself before entering the job market. Her husband never mentioned the job at Bank of America IIRC.

The links to all this info is a few posts upthread.

For those of us who couldn't find our way to Jenny's Weibo page (Chinese version of FB) using the link upthread, here is a link I found showing her last few posts. They are rather alarming IMO. She talks about almost being raped deep in the mountains by two cartel men and facing her fears by planning to hitch to Cancun.

I think the screenshot to this info was mod-snipped because we can't do screenshots of SM. So I'm just paraphrasing.
http://m.weibo.cn/d/jennycqd?jumpfrom=weibocom

Not to correct you again :)...I agree that she was unemployed for quite awhile, but just for the sake of accuracy in the timeline, we don't know that she started working the exact month she arrived in Seattle, June 2013. She doesn't say that, so it could have been a long stretch of not working at both ends of the year she worked...whenever it started. It seems she was bored working too. She's an adventurer.

OK then for the sake of accuracy, she has possibly been employed for one year out of the last three years.

OK then for the sake of accuracy, she has possibly been employed for one year out of the last three years.

She may have also had other jobs that she didn't mention in her profile. A few months here, a few months there and nothing was satisfying so she never stuck around. Since she moved to the US in 2013, she might have spent the first year or so just getting acclimated. The bank teller job might have been her most recent. It would be more accurate to say that she worked as a bank teller some time in the past three years, but we don't know about the rest of her employment history.

There is a big age difference between her and the husband, twenty years or so.

Maybe she had a change of heart. IDK.

The marriage may be just for convenience, so she could get her green card. It really isn't all that uncommon.

She may have also had other jobs that she didn't mention in her profile. A few months here, a few months there and nothing was satisfying so she never stuck around. Since she moved to the US in 2013, she might have spent the first year or so just getting acclimated. The bank teller job might have been her most recent. It would be more accurate to say that she worked as a bank teller some time in the past three years, but we don't know about the rest of her employment history.

Best as I can tell from reading her blog, the bank job was her first year in the US. The last two years were spent either traveling, or staying at home. Which is pretty consistent with the account given by her husband in the news articles. Except he doesn’t even mention her bank job.

The marriage may be just for convenience, so she could get her green card. It really isn't all that uncommon.

I've thought that too but was afraid to say it. It would also provide a (non-sinister) explanation for her husband coming across to some of us as less concerned than he should be, and for why he was okay with her going on such a long trip alone in the first place.

For those of us who couldn't find our way to Jenny's Weibo page (Chinese version of FB) using the link upthread, here is a link I found showing her last few posts. They are rather alarming IMO. She talks about almost being raped deep in the mountains by two cartel men and facing her fears by planning to hitch to Cancun.

I think the screenshot to this info was mod-snipped because we can't do screenshots of SM. So I'm just paraphrasing.
http://m.weibo.cn/d/jennycqd?jumpfrom=weibocom

Wow...my first instinct tells me she didn't write this...jmo

Eta: maybe I'm wrong, idk.

Strangely quiet on this case, nothing new posted by the husband or friends on Facebook.

Has anyone been able to dig up any statements or posts by the family in China?

Not sure that we can't rule out that she just left and went home as I have not seen anything from them.

Also the husband has never posted any of his previous conversations with Jenny or her family between him and her/them - just a few posts between her and her "friends".

Hmm...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members