Mexico Mexico - Jenny Chen, 26, Oaxaca, 11 April 2016 #3

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
This is her Weibo page. Btw. Once you go to her page. You have to click on the link thats right below her profile heading pic for it to open up her full comments page for you.

Which is weird. Because before it used to go straight there.

I wonder if someone is messing with the settings and tried to privatize the page at first. Idk.

http://m.weibo.cn/u/1723208662?uid=1723208662&featurecode=20000180

But I missed where she mentioned a car accident and JR telling her about wearing a seat belt.

Thanks Dex. That helps. But I think what I'm also looking for is a journal from earlier. Maybe it's not weibo. Part of it is a 20? Day challenge to be grateful or look for good things. That's where I saw the car accident. I probably can find it on the first thread. Just being lazy. :)

Thanks Dex. That helps. But I think what I'm also looking for is a journal from earlier. Maybe it's not weibo. Part of it is a 20? Day challenge to be grateful or look for good things. That's where I saw the car accident. I probably can find it on the first thread. Just being lazy. :)

I think most of her detailed conversation was with her friend in China that screenshot some of their last conversations. But I forgot which forum they were originally conversing on. Like when she mentioned needing to go back to her psychiatrist and stuff like that. Idk

The article (linked in post 594) states:

"...already invested 200 thousand dollars, between viatical and private investigations."

Anyone have a guess for what "viatical" means?

I remember CN on the HFJ Facebook site stating that the PI continued to work even though he hadn't been paid all he was owed.

"...already invested 200 thousand dollars, between viatical and private investigations."

I remember CN on the HFJ Facebook site stating that the PI continued to work even though he hadn't been paid all he was owed.

200,000 pesos equals $10, 500 roughly.

So maybe the article meant pesos and not U.S dollars. Idk.

But Jonathan doesn't have 200k. Jmo. So the pesos may be it.

The point that she didn't give him her phone number, in addition to be galavanting without him, pretty much sums this up.

Agree !! I have been following this case from the start and at first I thought she did meet up with danger not by her choice, but I took a break from this and now re-reading, I think she just left and doesn't want to be found. If something did indeed happen to her, my first thought was JR did something and just said that she didn't meet up with him when actually she did and, well, something happened between them. He has a lot of anger and is so wishy-washy that I just don't trust or believe him and I haven't from the start. I am still praying and hoping that she just left on her accord to escape the troubled life she was living with him. JMO and thoughts this afternoon as I recap :)

200,000 pesos equals $10, 500 roughly.

So maybe the article meant pesos and not U.S dollars. Idk.

But Jonathan doesn't have 200k. Jmo. So the pesos may be it.

I think you are right about this, Dex. Maybe just an errant translation.

The word "viatical" must be a wonky translation. It doesn't apply to an investigation. It has to do with selling your life insurance policy for cash when you have less than two years to live. Learn something new all the time on WS!

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Viatical_settlement

Agree !! I have been following this case from the start and at first I thought she did meet up with danger not by her choice, but I took a break from this and now re-reading, I think she just left and doesn't want to be found. If something did indeed happen to her, my first thought was JR did something and just said that she didn't meet up with him when actually she did and, well, something happened between them. He has a lot of anger and is so wishy-washy that I just don't trust or believe him and I haven't from the start. I am still praying and hoping that she just left on her accord to escape the troubled life she was living with him. JMO and thoughts this afternoon as I recap :)

It's nice to see you back Spartygirl! :seeya: I've been reading previous threads and appreciating your comments back then. I hope she just left, although I'm just running on hope, not evidence. JR's "issues" really complicate how we see this case. I've tried not to entertain the "something happened in Cancun" scenario, and after a year I think he would have bailed on the investigation if that was true. So at the moment, subject to change, I do think she took one risk too many. :( But I'd certainly be happy if Jenny surfaces somewhere.

The word "viatical" must be a wonky translation. It doesn't apply to an investigation. It has to do with selling your life insurance policy for cash when you have less than two years to live. Learn something new all the time on WS!

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Viatical_settlement

I tried putting the text through Bing Translator, and it says it is "travel expenses":

"as soon as they learn of the news support search Qoudan Chen, in which already invested 200 thousand dollars between travel expenses and private investigations."

I tried putting the text through Bing Translator, and it says it is "travel expenses":

"as soon as they learn of the news support search Qoudan Chen, in which already invested 200 thousand dollars between travel expenses and private investigations."

Well his gofunfme raised 10k whick is near 200,000 pesos. So that sounds about right.

Btw. Why does every Chinese translation refer to males as she and females as he?

Because they say she when talking about her brother and some Chinese article translation. And they refer to Jenny as he. Lol

I be confused sometimes. Lol

That's funny! But it definitely makes more sense than the definition of selling your life insurance policy right before you die. :D

Well his gofunfme raised 10k whick is near 200,000 pesos. So that sounds about right.

Btw. Why does every Chinese translation refer to males as she and females as he?

Because they say she when talking about her brother and some Chinese article translation. And they refer to Jenny as he. Lol

The raised 8,740 dollars which is 164,397 pesos.

The article, which might have meant 200,000 pesos, was published on April 30th 2016, when the peso was 17.17 to the dollar. I don't know exactly what the had raised at that point ($6K?), but on that day 200,000 pesos was 11,648 dollars. The peso has fluctuated over quite a range in the last year and at one point it was almost 22 to the dollar.

Source: XE
http://www.xe.com/currencycharts/?from=USD&to=MXN&view=1Y

The article, which might have meant 200,000 pesos, was published on April 30th 2016, when the peso was 17.17 to the dollar. I don't know exactly what the had raised at that point ($6K?), but on that day 200,000 pesos was 11,648 dollars. The peso has fluctuated over quite a range in the last year and at one point it was almost 22 to the dollar.

Source: XE
http://www.xe.com/currencycharts/?from=USD&to=MXN&view=1Y

Going with 200,000 pesos ....

Because they say she when talking about her brother and some Chinese article translation. And they refer to Jenny as he.
Lol

BBM: a) because Chinese (we probably should say Mandarin, because "Chinese" has MANY different forms) does not differentiate 3rd person pronouns for male/female in speech, & while pinyin ((standardised written form of the language) does - sometimes, the characters are very similar so ...

b) automatic translation software has problems with it.

This isn't just a problem with translation software from Chinese to English, it happens frequently with other languages too.

As for people posting in Spanish & Chinese on the FB page, it's possible that said people may understand English well, but are not at ease writing it.

Well it's obvious that JR doesn't want to answer any real questions pertaining to Jenny's case. Because he is not posting nor answering questions on any forums such as here. Plus I haven't seen him being ask nor answering any real questions on the Helpfindjenny page.

He loves the Corona questions. But he deletes or clams up on questions about what he did out there for 4 days. Or how many times and which ways did they communicate while she was out there. Etc, etc.

Well it's obvious that JR doesn't want to answer any real questions pertaining to Jenny's case. Because he is not posting nor answering questions on any forums such as here. Plus I haven't seen him being ask nor answering any real questions on the Helpfindjenny page.

He loves the Corona questions. But he deletes or clams up on questions about what he did out there for 4 days. Or how many times and which ways did they communicate while she was out there. Etc, etc.

I have seen family members treated harshly in some forums, and perhaps he wishes to avoid being further wounded. I can't blame him. He's got enough going on without SM attacks. But your points are well taken. The whole thing is extremely hinky from the get-go. Hinky!

I have seen family members treated harshly in some forums, and perhaps he wishes to avoid being further wounded. I can't blame him. He's got enough going on without SM attacks. But your points are well taken. The whole thing is extremely hinky from the get-go. Hinky!
BBM

I agree about the harsh treatment given to some families (which certainly can keep mods on WS busy!). Someone hijacked Jenny's personal FB page to launch attacks on JR, as well as bringing them here briefly, so I understand his hesitance to post elsewhere. However, JR acted "wounded" on his very own HFJ group early on over a legitimate suggestion (not a criticism) that he eventually followed (with no apology to the OP). This type of behavior certainly contributed to JR setting off hinky meters.

Oh, how I would love to see a tenacious reporter dig into this case and publish some independently verified information! Of course, it's possible a reporter wouldn't get any further than we have, unable to chop through the thicket of obfuscation.*

* I love having a chance to use that word! :D

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Obfuscation

Lilibet, the 21 day gratitude challenge is in her Weibo, I've actually been reading through her whole Weibo little by little, the last few days. The car accident is mentioned in one of the gratitude posts. Sometimes her page kind of gets " blocked" (??), and I can't access all of the posts. But later I can. Maybe it's the server (?). Remember to clic on the text under the profile photo as Dex mentioned :)
It feels sad to read her posts, knowing that she has been missing for a year now. I think many (not all) of the things we feel are strange to us (behavior, comments) comes down to cultural differences.
BTW, at the end of her second cycle of the gratitude challenge, there is a post called "Hi anonymous" directed to someone who has been reading her gratitude entries anonymously, and she states that she will make her next gratitude cycle private. She was planning on doing the gratitude posts for a whole year.

It's nice to see you back Spartygirl! :seeya: I've been reading previous threads and appreciating your comments back then. I hope she just left, although I'm just running on hope, not evidence. JR's "issues" really complicate how we see this case. I've tried not to entertain the "something happened in Cancun" scenario, and after a year I think he would have bailed on the investigation if that was true. So at the moment, subject to change, I do think she took one risk too many. :( But I'd certainly be happy if Jenny surfaces somewhere.[/QUOTE

Hello there !! I have to say I am very confused with this one !!! And I have to agree that if something did happen in Cancun, he probably would have bailed by now but you never know. Reading up more on her "Free spirit" "wanting adventure" ways, she may have got more than she bargained for while traveling alone.
I am stumped !!:thinking:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member