Mexico - Kaleo Skye, 3 & Roxy Rain 10 mos, killed by dad, Rosarito, 10 Aug 2021 *arrest in CA*

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
@Seattle1 - still getting Error 404 when I try the Judge's link. And it is frustrating - as I have to bother you again - any updates? TIA!
Waving White Flag Smiley

U.S. District Court​

Southern District of California (San Diego)​

CRIMINAL DOCKET FOR CASE #: 3:21-cr-02627-CAB-1​

Case title: USA v. Coleman

Date Filed: 09/08/2021

Assigned to: Judge Cathy Ann Bencivengo

Defendant (1)
Matthew Taylor Coleman

Continuation of Docket as at 5/4/24:

Date Filed#Docket Text
03/29/2024
59​
MINUTE ORDER of Judge Cathy Ann Bencivengo as to Matthew Taylor Coleman: Based upon further request from the treating physician for a brief continuance to submit the completed report, the status report shall now be completed and submitted to the parties by Friday, April 5, 2024. The telephonic status hearing currently set for April 8, 2024 at 11:00 AM shall remain as scheduled. (no document attached) (lmh) (Entered: 03/29/2024)
04/08/2024
60​
Minute Entry for proceedings held before Judge Cathy Ann Bencivengo: Status Hearing re Competency as to Matthew Taylor Coleman held on 4/8/2024. Competency Restoration Report received from BOP and ordered sealed on the docket. The report recommends the defendant is still incompetent to assist counsel. With no opposition from defense, a further Telephonic Status Hearing is set for 5/3/2024 11:00 AM in Courtroom 15A before Judge Cathy Ann Bencivengo, to allow government time to determine next steps in proceeding. Excludable(s) started as to Matthew Taylor Coleman: XN - Period of mental or physical incompetence of defendant to stand trial 4/8/2024 to 5/3/2024. (Court Reporter/ECR Chari Bowery). (Plaintiff Attorney Peter Ko and Billy Joe McLain, AUSAs). (Defendant Attorney Cuauhtemoc Orteda and Elena Sadowsky, FDs). (Sean Kennedy, Learned Counsel). (no document attached) (lmh) (Entered: 04/08/2024)
05/03/2024
62​
Minute Entry for proceedings held before Judge Cathy Ann Bencivengo: Telephonic Status Hearing as to Matthew Taylor Coleman held on 5/3/2024. The government advises the Court the desire to proceed with a Sell Hearing. Court sets the deadline of 5/10/2024 for a Joint Statement of Counsel to be filed with a proposed briefing schedule. Court will take it under review and follow up. Excludable(s) started as to Matthew Taylor Coleman: XN - Period of mental or physical incompetence of defendant to stand trial 5/3/2024 to 5/10/2024. (Court Reporter/ECR Chari Bowery). (Plaintiff Attorney Peter Ko and Kevin Butler, AUSAs). (Defendant Attorney Christine O'Connor, FD). (no document attached) (lmh) (Entered: 05/03/2024)

@Niner

Nothing in May with the defendant decided. Maybe in August. See Order #64 below.

1717318154303.png
1717318295028.png

Last edited:

U.S. District Court
Southern District of California (San Diego)

Date Filed#Docket Text
05/10/2024
STATUS REPORT and Proposed Briefing Schedule (Joint) by USA as to Matthew Taylor Coleman (Ko, Peter) (anh). (Entered: 05/10/2024)
05/10/2024
ORDER Setting Briefing Schedule; Excludable(s) started as to Matthew Taylor Coleman: XN - Period of mental or physical incompetence of defendant to stand trial 5/10/2024-. Signed by Judge Cathy Ann Bencivengo on 5/10/2024. (anh) (Entered: 05/10/2024)
05/28/2024
MOTION for Order Directing BOP to Provide Involuntary Medication Plan by USA as to Matthew Taylor Coleman. (Ko, Peter) (anh). (Entered: 05/28/2024)
05/30/2024
ORDER Directing BOP To Provide Involuntary Medication Plan 65 as to Matthew Taylor Coleman (1). Signed by Judge Cathy Ann Bencivengo on 5/30/2024.(ddf) (Entered: 05/30/2024)

Here's an article on the Fed's motion re involuntary medication.

June 7, 2024
Thank you @Niner. From the quoted MSM link:

[..]
The U.S. Supreme Court has ruled that involuntarily medicating a defendant is legal under certain conditions, though a judge must first rule that four specific requirements are met before ordering such treatment. In a motion filed about a week ago asking a judge to launch that decision-making process, the U.S. Attorney’s Office in San Diego began laying out arguments for why Coleman should be involuntarily medicated.

Coleman’s attorneys have the opportunity to challenge the request.

Coleman, 43, has pleaded not guilty to federal charges of murdering U.S. nationals on foreign soil for the 2021 slayings of his 2-year-old son, Kaleo, and 10-month-old daughter, Roxy. According to statements outlined in court records, he has admitted to the killings in detailed confessions during several interviews with law enforcement. According to the court records, Coleman’s wife told investigators that the couple had delved into the sprawling QAnon conspiracy together, and that Coleman eventually became paranoid by a mix of conspiracy theories, even believing that his wife was compromised and had passed serpent blood from “lizard people” on to their children.

[..]

In October, U.S. District Judge Cathy Bencivengo ordered Coleman to be committed for treatment after undergoing a mental competency examination. That order is sealed, but prosecutors wrote in a motion filed last month that Coleman was committed because “evidence suggested he has a mental disease or defect and cannot understand the proceedings or help his defense.”

According to online Bureau of Prisons records, Coleman is currently in custody at a federal medical center prison in Springfield, Mo.

Is his wife still supporting Matthew? I haven't kept up on this case, TIA.

Is his wife still supporting Matthew? I haven't kept up on this case, TIA.
I recall she left CA immediately, and don't believe she's seen MC since he was transported to CA three years ago. Reportedly, she changed her name and has never spoken about the case. MSM link cites her residing in TX. Community and friends still believe he suffered and continues suffering from a psychotic break. MOO

1717876913065.png

2/28/24

Matthew Taylor Coleman, the California man accused of killing his two kids in Mexico, is still delusional — and sometimes doesn’t even comprehend his children are dead, sources told The Post.

“He talks about them in present tense sometimes,” a family friend who has been in contact with Coleman said. “There are times that he just doesn’t seem to grasp that they’re gone.”

[..]

The Post has learned Coleman has undergone intensive psychological testing over the past several months, including interviews with multiple psychiatrists.

His defense team has also ordered psychological assessment of their client.

[..]

After Coleman’s arrest, his wife, Abby, left California and returned to her home state of Texas, where she currently lives, surrounded by her family.

She now goes by another name, but there is no record she has divorced her husband. She has never spoken publicly about the murders.

The murders have rocked Coleman’s tight-knit community in Santa Barbara, who knew him as an outgoing, friendly surf instructor who was passionate about his faith and doted on his wife and kids.

“He’s my friend and I want what’s best for him,” says his childhood friend. “I really want him to face trial, because maybe that’s the only way we’ll get the answers to why he did what he did.”

Interesting. I don't think it had been published before that MC is being treated/housed in Springfield, MO.
From the 2/28/24 MSM link (post #592), confirming they were still reporting him at an undisclosed federal prison medical facility in Southern CA.

Interesting. I don't think it had been published before that MC is being treated/housed in Springfield, MO.

I too did not realize he wasn't being housed in California. Surprise. I shall put that in my notes. Thanks for that article on his wife. I do remember when she moved back to Texas.

In October, U.S. District Judge Cathy Bencivengo ordered Coleman to be committed for treatment after undergoing a mental competency examination. That order is sealed, but prosecutors wrote in a motion filed last month that Coleman was committed because “evidence suggested he has a mental disease or defect and cannot understand the proceedings or help his defense.”
^^rsbm

This is such a tragic case. By all accounts, it's undisputed that MC appears to have mental disease or defect and the Court has Ordered an involuntary treatment plan for him by the BOP, and his defense has until August 7 to respond to the plan.

IMO, involuntary Rx usually involves psychotropic versus psychoactive medication.

Following involuntary Rx, I'm afraid that what we will eventually see seated in court next to his defense is an overweight, zombie man with that empty stare. A yes, no, nod your head, shell.

So here we are. Which does the Court want/need for the show to go on-- the delusional man rendering nonsense or the empty shell?

I'm not sure what the law requires of MC mentally to allow him to consciously enter an insanity plea that the Court can accept and sentence him to lifetime commitment. I ask because I don't think going to trial will serve anybody when MC's fate appears to be spending the remainder of his days in a mental institution-- be it Springfield, MO or Southern, CA.

Prior to this mental break where MC drove his babies across the border and slaughtered them with a spear, and confessed to it, he was very much loved and respected as an active member of his community, but more important, witnessed as a caring and loving father to his children. Healing prayers for the mother and their extended families. MOO

@Seattle1 - So we are now in August - any updates for Coleman yet? I tried again to get into the court site - but no-go... TIA! :)

@Niner
Since last update -- appears there was a defense document improperly withdrawn which may have resulted in withdrawal of MC's counsel. And Court granted the joint Motion for Extension of Time to File Proposed Treatment Plan by Bureau of Prisons to 8/26. Order for Medication Plan by BOP was dated 5/30 but not clear if Rx plan and 'Treatment Plan' are one in the same. In other words -- I see a continued delay happening here.

U.S. District Court​

Southern District of California (San Diego)​

Date Filed#Docket Text
05/30/2024
ORDER Directing BOP To Provide Involuntary Medication Plan 65 as to Matthew Taylor Coleman (1). Signed by Judge Cathy Ann Bencivengo on 5/30/2024.(ddf) (Entered: 05/30/2024)
06/12/2024
**Withdrawn per doc. no. 70 ** NOTICE for Ex Parte Application for Appointment of Christy O'Connor as CJA Co-Counsel; Declarations of Counsel by Matthew Taylor Coleman (Attachments: # 1 Proposed Order)(O'Connor, Christine) QC Email: Improperly withdrawn document (anh). (Entered: 06/12/2024)
06/12/2024
NOTICE of Errata by Matthew Taylor Coleman re 67 Notice (Other) (Karlin, Amy) (anh). (Entered: 06/12/2024)
06/12/2024
NOTICE for Ex Parte Application for Appointment of Christy O'Connor as CJA Co-Counsel; Declarations of Counsel by Matthew Taylor Coleman (Attachments: # 1 Proposed Order)(Karlin, Amy)QC Email: Proposed order. Event Modified to add motion event (anh). (Entered: 06/12/2024)
06/13/2024
NOTICE OF WITHDRAWAL OF DOCUMENT filed by Matthew Taylor Coleman (Karlin, Amy)(anh). (Entered: 06/13/2024)
07/08/2024
Joint MOTION for Extension of Time to File Proposed Treatment Plan by Bureau of Prisons by USA as to Matthew Taylor Coleman. (Ko, Peter) (anh). (Entered: 07/08/2024)
07/09/2024
ORDER on Joint Motion for Extension of Time as to Matthew Taylor Coleman (1). Signed by Judge Cathy Ann Bencivengo on 7/9/2024.(anh) (Entered: 07/09/2024)
07/15/2024
ORDER on Ex Parte Application Appointing Christy O'Connor as CJA Co-Counsel as to Matthew Taylor Coleman (1). Signed by Judge Cathy Ann Bencivengo on 7/15/2024.(anh) (Entered: 07/15/2024)
07/18/2024
NOTICE Of Withdrawal of Counsel by Matthew Taylor Coleman (Ortega, Cuauhtemoc) (anh). (Entered: 07/18/2024)

End of docket entry 74 at 8/4/24

Last edited:

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lockett