MI - Active shooter at Michigan State University. Fatalities Reported. 13 Feb '23

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
LE said at the press conference that the first shootings were at Berkey Hall where there were two fatalities. And then the shooter went to the MSU Student Union and there was one fatality at the Student Union.

Did the shooter have some connection to Berkey Hall? The Student Union is an obvious place to randomly shoot students, but why Berkey Hall?

Soon we will find out if the shooter was a student or employee. Or a former student, or former employee.

Kudos to LE and FBI and all the responders that were so quick to get there and able to find the shooter tonight,
I could tell while listening to the Interim LE speaker that he is feeling very emotional tonight with this tragedy.
Prayers for all the students and their worried parents having to live through this nightmare and for the families who lost their children and families that are sitting beside a hospital bed tonight praying for their children who were shot also.

Such a senseless tragedy !!

A bit more information:

The 43-year-old suspect was located off campus and died of a self-inflicted gunshot wound, MSU Police Interim Deputy Chief Chris Rozman said. A campuswide shelter-in-place order was lifted shortly after midnight Tuesday.

"This truly has been a nightmare that we are living tonight," Rozman said at a 12:30 a.m. press conference.

The suspect was not affiliated with MSU as a student or employee, Rozman said.

3 killed, 5 wounded at Michigan State campus shooting; suspect dead

At least 3 killed, 5 wounded in shootings on Michigan State campus; suspect dead​

Last Updated: Feb. 14, 2023 at 6:49 a.m. ETFirst Published: Feb. 13, 2023 at 10:04 p.m. ET

EAST LANSING, Mich. — A gunman who opened fire at Michigan State University killed three people and wounded five, setting off an hourslong manhunt as frightened students hid in classrooms and cars. The shooter eventually killed himself, police announced early Tuesday.

Officials do not know why the 43-year-old man, whose name was not immediately released, targeted the campus. He was not a student or employee and had no affiliation with the university, according to campus police.

The shooting began Monday night at an academic building and later moved to the nearby student union, a popular gathering spot for students to eat or study. As hundreds of officers scoured the East Lansing campus, about 90 miles (145 kilometers) northwest of Detroit, students hid where they could. Four hours after the first shots were reported, police announced the man’s death.

Praying for the 5 in critical condition right now… sending love and strength to these victims, their hospital care teams and their families.

What is even the solution for this??? I fear it has already spiraled out of control so far we cannot stop it :(

The senseless victimization and MURDER of our children must stop!!

My eleven year old does active shooter drills. It makes me sick that it’s become a necessity at a place of learning to review how to attempt to hide from a person with a gun, looking to kill you.

My child has a watch that allows them to contact me - the idea behind it was for while at friends homes or if something should change for after school pickup. But one reason we didn’t discuss? So that if someone should go to their school and decide to gun down defenseless babies, we could be together in some form for their comfort.

I worry far too often about their safety while at the one place, aside from home, that they should always.be.safe.

How do we stop the senseless slaughter of the innocent? It is, as quoted in an article above, a “uniquely American” issue. My heart goes out to the parents, the students, those who lost their lives, those injured, and those that will carry this new found trauma with them for the rest of their lives.

State officials Tuesday identified 43-year-old convicted felon Anthony McRae as the attacker who shot and killed three people and wounded five others at Michigan State University.

McRae, who was found off-campus after dying of an apparent self-inflicted gunshot wound, was identified less than nine hours after police lifted a campus-wide shelter-in-place order following the mass shooting.

McRae has a history with firearms.

He was sentenced to 18 months in state prison in November 2019 after being convicted of possessing a loaded firearm in a vehicle. He was released from supervision in May 2021...

Previous offense is also firearms

Offense:
Weapons - Firearms - Poss. Loaded Firearm in or Upon Vehicle
Minimum Sentence:

MCL#:
750.227C
Maximum Sentence:
1 year 6 months
Court File#:
19-496-FH
Date of Offense:
06/07/2019
County:
Ingham
Date of Sentence:
11/26/2019
Conviction Type:
Plea
Discharge Date:
05/14/2021

Discharge Reason:
Offender Discharge

[...]

He lives in a 960-square-foot home on the north side of Lansing, east of Capital Region International Airport. The home is owned by his father MM. A chain link fence blocks off the front driveway.

MB and TB, who live on the same street as Anthony McRae, said he moved in with his father about a year ago. They said Mm, Anthony's father, is a scrapper well-known in the neighborhood.

“He’s never done any harm to anyone,” Mb said. “He’s just an old man, minds his business.”

But police had been called to the residence before because of the sound of gunshots, MB said. MB said Anthony McRae would fire out of the back door of the home, she believed for target practice.

Based on where Anthony McRae was found, MB believed he was headed home. She had been listening to the scanner for most of the night and when she heard where police had said the suspect had died and later traffic indicating they were being dispatched to her street, she felt relieved Anthony McRae hadn’t made it back to the neighborhood.

[...]

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Clue Keeper
Back