MI - Active shooter at Michigan State University. Fatalities Reported. 13 Feb '23

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
The senseless victimization and MURDER of our children must stop!!

My eleven year old does active shooter drills. It makes me sick that it’s become a necessity at a place of learning to review how to attempt to hide from a person with a gun, looking to kill you.

My child has a watch that allows them to contact me - the idea behind it was for while at friends homes or if something should change for after school pickup. But one reason we didn’t discuss? So that if someone should go to their school and decide to gun down defenseless babies, we could be together in some form for their comfort.

I worry far too often about their safety while at the one place, aside from home, that they should always.be.safe.

How do we stop the senseless slaughter of the innocent? It is, as quoted in an article above, a “uniquely American” issue. My heart goes out to the parents, the students, those who lost their lives, those injured, and those that will carry this new found trauma with them for the rest of their lives.

Before we can stop it, we must understand it. Everything you've heard about mass shootings is nonsense, including what you heard about this one. There were NOT 8 victims yesterday. There were tens of thousands. Every single kid on that campus was a victim of trauma they will live with for the rest of their lives, and so were their families. We do a good job of accounting for those bleeding or dead. That is an inaccurate victim count and until we learn that and start accounting for the severe abuse that was unleashed on every person there -- those in hiding, those barricading, those cowering in corners in the dark, and even the cops -- we continue to enable the narrative that these are rare events that affect a small minority of people. In my professional experience, it's absolute and total BS.

Sounds like he had no friends, no spouse, no kids and was pretty severely isolated..
His mother died 2 years ago and his dad says he’s been bitter ever since. His brother who hasn’t seen him since Mom’s funeral is in shock and “never in a million years” did he see this coming from his brother.

the suspect did have various weapons charges and seemed to like shooting a semiautomatic in his father’s back yard
A loner, per the article.

Two of the deceased victims have been identified as the following:

• Brian Fraser, Sophomore, Grosse Pointe
  • Alexandria Verner, Junior, Clawson
With respect to the family’s wishes, we will not be releasing the third victim’s name at this time. We sincerely ask the media and community members to respect the families’ privacy.

The three victims who were killed in a shooting at Michigan State University were high graduates from Grosse Pointe and Clawson, school district officials and police confirmed Tuesday.

Brian Fraser was an MSU sophomore from Grosse Pointe and Alexandria Verner was an MSU junior from Clawson, according to MSU police. The third victim's name hasn't been publicly released.

Five other MSU students are still in the hospital in critical condition...

Before we can stop it, we must understand it. Everything you've heard about mass shootings is nonsense, including what you heard about this one. There were NOT 8 victims yesterday. There were tens of thousands. Every single kid on that campus was a victim of trauma they will live with for the rest of their lives, and so were their families. We do a good job of accounting for those bleeding or dead. That is an inaccurate victim count and until we learn that and start accounting for the severe abuse that was unleashed on every person there -- those in hiding, those barricading, those cowering in corners in the dark, and even the cops -- we continue to enable the narrative that these are rare events that affect a small minority of people. In my professional experience, it's absolute and total BS.
You are spot on. My husband was a victim of a mass shooting in 2000 before we met and married. He was lucky in that he survived, but that shooting changed our entire community and the effects still come up in our daily lives 23 years later.

EAST LANSING, Mich. – It’s an unimaginable, terrifying, life-changing experience that no one should have to go through. And, yet, some students in Michigan have experienced not one, but two mass school shootings in less than two years.

On Monday, Feb. 13, three Michigan State University students were killed and five were critically hurt after a gunman opened fire in two buildings on the East Lansing campus. Less than two years earlier, four students were killed and seven people were injured in the Oxford High School shooting.

Rarely have mass school shootings occurred in the same state more than one time, according to Associated Press reports -- but they keyword here is “mass.” There is no universal term to define a mass shooting; different news outlets, law enforcement agencies and government bodies can all use different definitions...

CLAWSON, Mich. – Michigan State Police identified biology and anthropology student Alexandria Verner as one of the victims who was fatally shot at Michigan State University on Monday night.

According to an email sent out to Clawson Public School families, the superintendent Billy Shellenbarger wrote that Verner, a 2020 Clawson High School student, passed away on campus...

I agree wholeheartedly - hence me mentioning all of those that will now carry the trauma for the rest of their lives. Of course every single student, parent, siblings, those in the area the suspect was seen outside of campus, LEO’s etc are going to be traumatized at various levels.

The fallout that we don’t talk about is what happens to those who experience trauma and have residual PTSD and other stress-related mental health issues. How many lives have been spun in a new direction; how many will develop an addiction to substances to cope, how many will sink into depression or agoraphobia. If we did a study and followed x amount of students who have been through a mass shooting, I think we would see an increase in substance abuse, mental health issues, suicide, and more. The fallout is massive, as you said tens of thousands.

<modsnip> I’m well aware that the 8 victims we often focus on are not the only ones whose lives have been changed forever.

Last edited by a moderator:
The three students killed by the 'evil and bitter' gunman who stormed onto the Michigan State University campus have been identified.

Alexandria 'Alex' Verner, a 2020 graduate of Clawson High School, was killed in the shooting, according to an email sent by CPS school officials. She was a biology and anthropology junior at MSU and set to graduate in 2024.

Brian Fraser, 20, who graduated from Grosse Pointe South and was studying business at MSU, was identified as the second victim of the massacre, the university's police department confirmed.

Flavor of Love reality TV star Deelishis revealed her niece, Arielle Diamond Anderson, 19, was the third victim.
The family has now given the 'o.k.' to identify the third victim, per her aunt.

Rest in peace, Alexandria, Brian, and Arielle !

Lives cut short and now we will never know what they might have accomplished ?
The article is correct in describing the killer as "evil and bitter".
With no connection to the campus, it's not clear why he chose that location, unless he felt it was a 'soft target' ?
The survivors, both the wounded and those who witnessed this atrocity, will go on with their lives.
But they will be forever altered.
It's so sad and pointless.

If the shooter's goal was to die, why not start with himself and leave innocent young people out of it ?
Or maybe consider getting professional help ?
His family will be impacted by this as well, not only do they have to grieve his passing, but under the heavy burden of the actions he chose !
Imo.

EAST LANSING, Mich. – All three students who were killed in the mass shooting at Michigan State University have now been identified.

Eight students were shot after 8 p.m. Monday when a 43-year-old man opened fire at two locations on the Michigan State campus. Three students died from their injuries, and five others were taken to Sparrow Hospital in critical condition.

Early Tuesday afternoon, MSU Police revealed sophomore Brian Fraser, of Grosse Pointe, and junior Alexandria Verner, of Clawson, were among those who died from their injuries.

Grosse Pointe school officials revealed about two hours later that the third fatal shooting victim has been identified as Arielle Anderson...

So sad :( All three victims are from metro Detroit, one in Oakland County, where I live.

Another instance in this country when a predictably unpredictable person commits a mass shooting. Alexandria, Brian and Arielle are the names on my lips this afternoon. They were just kids trying to build adult lives. And we do not yet even know the names of the people fighting for their lives in the hospital. So many families and friends are devastated <modsnip>

My heart also breaks for the killer's family. I know that it is not easy to be on the "other side" of all of the thoughts and prayers that are always so much more easily sent the other way. When someone you love is mentally ill and a danger to themselves <modsnip> there is so little you can do besides hope you don't watch a nightmare like this play out.

All JMO

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you Spartygirl and everyone else who offered help. My daughter is doing ok, she is sad. I think she is in shock, we just went through this being a part of the Oxford/Lake Orion Community and to have it happen again feels like a nightmare.will be heading out there soon and I just want to hug her and hold her in my arms. Again thanks sleuthers for your support and I apologize if my texts were erratic.

I am not far so while they are saying nobody allowed on campus right now, I can run there in the morning if allowed for you.
I am glad she is in contact with you and praying for all of you.

I can only imagine a young adult and the fear she and her friends and the students are having.
Everything shut down right now, but one of my best friends lives there and I am not far away so if you or she need anything, just le

8 innocent lives and families affected
and for what??
The shooter is dead, killed himself.
How on earth was it worth it to this criminal. He's dead. I'll never understand whatever motive this guy had.

My heart goes out to all the victims and their loved ones.
I haven't read the whole thread, but in the meantime, his father, who is beyond devastated, said that this man was just never the same after his mother died a couple years ago. That's about all I know about it.

Post of the day. Too bad it had to be made.

Every time something like this happens, especially at a college, it always reminds me of this incident. I did not know any of the victims, but I recognized 3 of them because I had taken physics the previous semester. I will admit that I was grateful that my professor, and our very well-liked lab assistant, were not directly involved. There's a book about it called "Deadly Scholarship" that I have read but it honestly isn't very good. I just wish we could have found some way to prevent more of these things from happening in the intervening 31 years.

My friend's daughter got her own bachelor's degree from there a few years ago, and never knew about it until I mentioned it on Facebook; that night, her mother hosted a Halloween party at her house with her roommates, which I attended with my own roommate, but it goes without saying that nobody had much fun and we didn't stay very long.

University of Iowa shooting - Wikipedia

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Clue Keeper
Back