GUILTY MI - April Millsap, 14, Armada, 24 July 2014 #1

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Or possibly driven over by a motorcycle and the wheel crushed her neck? That would crush a persons neck as much or more than stomping on it...

I'm still wondering if April was killed where her body was found or if she was murdered elsewhere then moved to this location. :waitasec:

The autopsy of April Millsap revealed she was killed with blunt force trauma – her neck compressed so violently it caused asphyxiation, Fox 2 reported. From the time the suspect started the assault, Millsap was dead just minutes later.

http://www.voicenews.com/articles/2014/08/09/armada_times/doc53e4d16a32d9e459201498.txt

I hope that Dr. Daniel Spitz' autopsy findings are accurate as this is likely to be a high profile case if/when the perp is eventually apprehended and goes to trial. The young Dr. Spitz has faced some tough courtroom challenges regarding his post mortem reports. I hope his autopsy of April Millsap was thorough and that there won't be any opportunities for a defense lawyer to fault Dr. Spitz' findings.

Blunders at the morgue

Macomb County medical examiner on the hot seat

http://www.metrotimes.com/detroit/blunders-at-the-morgue/Content?oid=2147928

What an interesting thought since there seems to be a lack of DNA found where AM was found.

It could also be reason for the multiple vehicles seen in the area (perhaps the van to bring her there) though I'm skeptical that this was a crime committed by multiple people unless they were trying to hush her up.

interesting comment from a local under the above linked story about having personally called in complaints in the past about the use motorized vehicles on the trail in the very area April was found. comment was made about 4 hrs ago by a poster whose username starts with R and is the name of a town in MI.

That comment was me the other day. I saw this thread earlier and registered here so I could respond.

The sheriff in his quote seemed to make it sound as though they would see this case to the end but afterwards it would be business as usual. That's why I mentioned the complaint I called in. It was well over a year ago and the only time I've ever felt I needed to but yes I called. They were friendly with me I guess, but it was made clear they likely wouldn’t be sending anyone to check on my complaint. I suppose I might have read too much into the sheriff’s comments the other day but I've taken this whole thing kinda hard especially since I never met April or her family. I was a little PO'd when I read that. Here's why I feel the way I do.

I went through this entire thread but I haven’t seen anyone mention this yet: In 2009 an 87 year old woman was killed in Armada Township (a few miles west of the village) and the killer dumped her body on the north side of the trail about 100 yards west of where the trail crosses Coon Creek Road. She was not killed on the trail but that’s where she ended up. Her family placed a small memorial where her body was found and I see it every time I pass it. Her killer was convicted and sentenced to life in prison. My point is….I’m sure police presence was increased then also, but then it went away. Both of these killers had something in common….They knew they had time to do what they wanted to do because there is no police presence there. I know you can’t stop everything but all I’m saying is that everyone would go 90mph if you knew police weren’t on the roads. I’ve never seen officers out there on patrol (maybe others have?) and I have biked well over 1000 miles on it in recent years. Most of that has been coming from Richmond, turning around at Fulton St in Armada and going back to home. I actually took that exact route today and all I saw the whole trip was an Armada police cruiser near where I turned around in Armada. I have friends who’s property is adjacent to the trail and they complain that there’s plenty of riffraff that goes on out there that no one ever hears about (although usually after dark)

Anyway. Like I said I rode the trail today and it was the 1st time since the murder. The day April was killed I was thinking all day at work about how nice it was outside for a bike ride when I got home. I ate something quick at home so I could leave and got my bike out of the garage. Then I saw my tent sitting there. I was going camping Aug 1-3 and I hadn’t sprayed waterproofing on my tent yet. I quickly checked the coming weekend’s weather (July 26 & 27) on my phone and rain was in the forecast so I set up the tent instead and put my bike back in the garage. Now you see why I took this so hard! I might have been there! Here’s why today’s ride was important to me though: I took for granted just how thick the trees and brush are this time of year where April was found until I went by there today. I don’t believe I would’ve been able to see her or her attacker that night if they were not actually on the pavement and I think I’d feel even worse than I have been if I had gone right by them while she needed help. I guess if anything, I could have been another set of eyes as I went through. If the timeline is correct though, I probably would’ve been right there the same time as the joggers who found her -- which btw that dog truly is a hero. Seriously, 15-20 feet doesn't sound like much but it would’ve taken days for them to find her had it not been for Penny getting their attention.

Sorry for the novel but I feel so bad for that poor girl. :-(

:wagon: RichmondM19. Thank you so much for sharing your knowledge of the trail as a user. You must let go of any guilt. That tent may have caught your eye because you simply were not meant to be on the trail at that time. Shoulda Coulda Wouldas will mess with your head but you must not allow it.

There has not been much news recently and I hope that April's murder will be solved and not go cold. The community seems a nice one and I hate to see this case go cold.

Article talking about interview with April's mother. She will have April's dog Penny at the interview.

As for the murder of her daughter, Jennifer chokes up. “I just want to know why. I want to know who.”

She continues, “What could a 14-year-old girl do so bad that it cost her life?”

You can watch 7 Action News Investigator Jonathan Carlson’s interview with Jennifer Millsap tonight, at 5 & 6.

http://www.wxyz.com/news/one-on-one...ear-old-april-millsap-speaks-to-7-action-news

That comment was me the other day. I saw this thread earlier and registered here so I could respond.

The sheriff in his quote seemed to make it sound as though they would see this case to the end but afterwards it would be business as usual. That's why I mentioned the complaint I called in. It was well over a year ago and the only time I've ever felt I needed to but yes I called. They were friendly with me I guess, but it was made clear they likely wouldn’t be sending anyone to check on my complaint. I suppose I might have read too much into the sheriff’s comments the other day but I've taken this whole thing kinda hard especially since I never met April or her family. I was a little PO'd when I read that. Here's why I feel the way I do.

I went through this entire thread but I haven’t seen anyone mention this yet: In 2009 an 87 year old woman was killed in Armada Township (a few miles west of the village) and the killer dumped her body on the north side of the trail about 100 yards west of where the trail crosses Coon Creek Road. She was not killed on the trail but that’s where she ended up. Her family placed a small memorial where her body was found and I see it every time I pass it. Her killer was convicted and sentenced to life in prison. My point is….I’m sure police presence was increased then also, but then it went away. Both of these killers had something in common….They knew they had time to do what they wanted to do because there is no police presence there. I know you can’t stop everything but all I’m saying is that everyone would go 90mph if you knew police weren’t on the roads. I’ve never seen officers out there on patrol (maybe others have?) and I have biked well over 1000 miles on it in recent years. Most of that has been coming from Richmond, turning around at Fulton St in Armada and going back to home. I actually took that exact route today and all I saw the whole trip was an Armada police cruiser near where I turned around in Armada. I have friends who’s property is adjacent to the trail and they complain that there’s plenty of riffraff that goes on out there that no one ever hears about (although usually after dark)

Anyway. Like I said I rode the trail today and it was the 1st time since the murder. The day April was killed I was thinking all day at work about how nice it was outside for a bike ride when I got home. I ate something quick at home so I could leave and got my bike out of the garage. Then I saw my tent sitting there. I was going camping Aug 1-3 and I hadn’t sprayed waterproofing on my tent yet. I quickly checked the coming weekend’s weather (July 26 & 27) on my phone and rain was in the forecast so I set up the tent instead and put my bike back in the garage. Now you see why I took this so hard! I might have been there! Here’s why today’s ride was important to me though: I took for granted just how thick the trees and brush are this time of year where April was found until I went by there today. I don’t believe I would’ve been able to see her or her attacker that night if they were not actually on the pavement and I think I’d feel even worse than I have been if I had gone right by them while she needed help. I guess if anything, I could have been another set of eyes as I went through. If the timeline is correct though, I probably would’ve been right there the same time as the joggers who found her -- which btw that dog truly is a hero. Seriously, 15-20 feet doesn't sound like much but it would’ve taken days for them to find her had it not been for Penny getting their attention.

Sorry for the novel but I feel so bad for that poor girl. :-(

Hi RichmondM19. Welcome to Websleuths. I'm sorry your community has experienced this horrific crime.

I wanted to offer a quick observation regarding police presence on the trail. Three departments cover the trail: Shelby Twp, City of Richmond, and Macomb County Sheriff's Dept. Obviously Shelby and Richmond cover their jurisdiction and the rest falls to the county. The townships of Armada, Bruce, Ray, and Richmond don't pay tax dollars to cover police patrol, and have rejected millage increases to cover the cost of contracting the Macomb County Sheriff's Dept. As a result they receive minimal protection from the sheriff's staff. There is one patrol car per shift to cover the four townships which is roughly 140 square miles according to the Macomb Daily. The townships with more patrols, (Washington, Macomb, Harrison etc.) have a voter approved millage that covers the additional cost. Sadly, I don't see matters improving any time soon; Macomb Sheriff's budget has decreased by over 2 million dollars within the last couple of years while expenses have increased.

aw, thank you SieSie. That was heartbreaking. Her poor mama, just trying to be patient and waiting for answers.

:wagon: RichmondM19. Thank you so much for sharing your knowledge of the trail as a user. You must let go of any guilt. That tent may have caught your eye because you simply were not meant to be on the trail at that time. Shoulda Coulda Wouldas will mess with your head but you must not allow it.

There has not been much news recently and I hope that April's murder will be solved and not go cold. The community seems a nice one and I hate to see this case go cold.

Yes, I believe that's why it was a good thing that I was out there yesterday. With the way those woods are so thick and overgrown, the timing would have had to have been absolutely perfect for me to have helped her and even then, who knows what I could have done. I am not home from work until 6:30 each night so after I had my quick dinner the earliest I would have been through that stretch is about 7:30 and most likely closer to 8:00. By all accounts I've seen, April was probably gone by then. It doesn't make me feel a whole lot better but those are the facts I need to look at....and you're right -- the shoulda coulda wouldas have been messing with my head! I don't remember ever being this saddened by the death of a complete stranger.

Something I forgot to mention last night: On the map on the north side of the trail along Depot St between Fulton and Church, there is an area for people to park a vehicle and use the trail. It's rare to go through there and not see something parked although I'm not sure on weeknights during late afternoon like it was. People unload their bike, strap on roller blades there and go for a walk -- heading one direction or the other from that point. That particular section of the trail is busy most of the time because of that. I find it really hard to believe that NOBODY saw anything.....someone knows something. Yeah I've been beatin myself up a bit for being a little lazy and not riding out there since Memorial Day (until yesterday anyway) but there's a whole lot of people that may have seen something not only that night, but maybe the days leading up to it if someone was truly stalking her and waiting for the perfect moment.

Hi RichmondM19. Welcome to Websleuths. I'm sorry your community has experienced this horrific crime.

I wanted to offer a quick observation regarding police presence on the trail. Three departments cover the trail: Shelby Twp, City of Richmond, and Macomb County Sheriff's Dept. Obviously Shelby and Richmond cover their jurisdiction and the rest falls to the county. The townships of Armada, Bruce, Ray, and Richmond don't pay tax dollars to cover police patrol, and have rejected millage increases to cover the cost of contracting the Macomb County Sheriff's Dept. As a result they receive minimal protection from the sheriff's staff. There is one patrol car per shift to cover the four townships which is roughly 140 square miles according to the Macomb Daily. The townships with more patrols, (Washington, Macomb, Harrison etc.) have a voter approved millage that covers the additional cost. Sadly, I don't see matters improving any time soon; Macomb Sheriff's budget has decreased by over 2 million dollars within the last couple of years while expenses have increased.

Yes Shellbee you are correct. In fact those townships were the biggest obstacle in getting approval for the trail in the first place a few years back. I understand why they aren't out there more but it's frustrating after something this tragic. I do know this.....there will be many more people bringing along pepper spray and other "equalizers" during future usage of that trail because of this. Not only for personal safety but to protect others around us too. NEVER AGAIN!

Last night on WDIV 11:00 News, reporter mentioned that LE is still awaiting forensic test results on evidence in April's homicide.

Last night on WDIV 11:00 News April's boyfriend (AA) mentioned he thought April wrote the text, he texted right back and called but she didn't answer. April texted "I think I almost got kidnapped!OMFG". Sounds like she didn't recognize him. And she thought she got away from him but didn't. And she thought she was going to be kidnapped, not murdered. I wonder if Penny knew him but April didn't. April's mom said she didn't think it was anyone April knew. It's just so awful.

17 year old male Gabriel Gaeta sexually assualted and murdered 6 year old Jenise Wright, WA.
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...-beat-six-year-old-death-attending-vigil.html

COD: Blunt force trauma to the head and strangulation. Body dumped in marshy bog / wooded area.

Seems unlikely to be related to this case, but similar, and could be ruled out with a quick look. Hard to know if AM was sexually assaulted or not, LE has contradicted itself a lot of times to the public so far on various details.

17 year old male Gabriel Gaeta sexually assualted and murdered 6 year old Jenise Wright, WA.
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...-beat-six-year-old-death-attending-vigil.html

COD: Blunt force trauma to the head and strangulation. Body dumped in marshy bog / wooded area.

Seems unlikely to be related to this case, but similar, and could be ruled out with a quick look. Hard to know if AM was sexually assaulted or not, LE has contradicted itself a lot of times to the public so far on various details.

BBM:
Jenise's tragic rape and murder was in the state of Washington - April is in Michigan. No connection possible, in my opinion, because of the distance between the two cases.

agreed, not connected. But the similarities in COD are interesting. Makes you wonder if the perp in Jenise's case had caught any of the news (even just in passing) about April's killing and COD.

Last night on WDIV 11:00 News April's boyfriend (AA) mentioned he thought April wrote the text, he texted right back and called but she didn't answer. April texted "I think I almost got kidnapped!OMFG". Sounds like she didn't recognize him. And she thought she got away from him but didn't. And she thought she was going to be kidnapped, not murdered. I wonder if Penny knew him but April didn't. April's mom said she didn't think it was anyone April knew. It's just so awful.

That makes me think that she saw a vehicle on that path. If I were walking on a trail and saw a vehicle driving slowly by, I would think the same thing. Maybe she sent that text after the vehicle passed her by thinking she was out of danger.

Then I think about the motorcycle they mentioned. Maybe a guy on a motorcycle rode up behind her, tried to grab her and she ran away. Then texted when she thought she was safe? But why wouldn't she just CALL her bf instead of text?

I really wish LE would communicate more with the public.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GibsonGirl