MI MI - Arthur Ream, Convicted Rapist/Murderer & Suspected Serial Killer

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
If you look at that timeline, there are some missing years in there. Wonder what he was doing during that time. There could be more?

I agree, there could be more. Some additional threads I bumped with the dig articles, but none of these names have been mentioned in the press:

Kathy Wilcox: https://www.websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?120180-MI-Kathy-Wilcox-15-Otsego-17-July-1972

Deanie Peters: https://www.websleuths.com/forums/s...Deanie-Pyle-Peters-13-Grand-Rapids-5-Feb-1981

Shaunda Green: https://www.websleuths.com/forums/s...-Shaunda-Renne-Green-13-Ypsilanti-15-Oct-1983

Joan Mason: https://www.websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?370169-MI-Joan-Mason-19-Highland-Park-25-Apr-1983

Some of these might be outside his known area of Wayne County but he was convicted for raping a 15 year old girl who was hitchhiking. He might have cruised around looking for runaway girls at first then started getting more confident and choosing girls closer to home that he had a known connection to like Cindy. JMO.

I didn't even look at the early 90's yet. He was free until 1996 but I don't know an exact date.

If they find more bodies (and the way they are talking they seem to know they will) do you think there is enough evidence left to tie him to the murders? How was the one girl buried? was she wrapped in something or just placed in the ground? And I hope that they check his other properties. He mentioned a relative that used to point to a map and he would say hot or cold if there was a body there. Can she be used?

If they find more bodies (and the way they are talking they seem to know they will) do you think there is enough evidence left to tie him to the murders? How was the one girl buried? was she wrapped in something or just placed in the ground? And I hope that they check his other properties. He mentioned a relative that used to point to a map and he would say hot or cold if there was a body there. Can she be used?

BBM. Not a relative-- it was a female detective/LEO* who questioned him before the trial for Cindy's murder. What was interesting is that he gave up no specific info during that long interview session but the investigator said she knew he was guilty of murdering Cindy from that whole conversation because of the way he talked about where she might be buried. She said an innocent person isn't going to talk about where bodies could be buried. An innocent person wouldn't have even entertained the notion or talked about it. He seemed to enjoy playing games with the female detective. JMO.

*ETA: I went back to watch part of the documentary again and her name was Jen Lebo (guessing at spelling). She was not a police officer but she was an Intern at a Law Enforcement Consulting Firm in Chicago. She took an interest in the case and helped the Michigan detective do computer based searches-- like looking up Cindy's old classmates on Myspace (sounds like she did things like we do now on Websleuths but this was in the early days of the internet). She did work the detective did not have time or computer skills to do for years before she got to question Art Ream. LE let her question Art Ream the longest because he seemed to like to talk to her more than the male detectives. The documentary compared Jen to the character of Clarice in the movie "The Silence of the Lambs".

I'm not sure if Cindy was wrapped in anything, but she had a necklace buried with her that was not hers. Ream's ex-wife identified the necklace as having previously belonged to Ream. Investigators think that he put it on Cindy's neck before he buried her as a symbol that she was his possession. If he did that with other girls they will find evidence like that with their remains too that can be linked to him. Plus they have him bragging in prison and failing a polygraph.

Imprisoned killer bragged about killing others, police say at Macomb Township dig site

Convicted child murderer Arthur Ream bragged to fellow inmates about killing other people but flunked a polygraph test, police said Wednesday as the search for human remains in a wooded area in Macomb Township continued for a third day.

“The suspect in this case did brag about murdering four to six other people,” Warren Police Commissioner Bill Dwyer told reporters along the edge of a 24-acre parcel south of 23 Mile, west of North Avenue, near the excavation site...

http://www.macombdaily.com/general-...hers-police-say-at-macomb-township-dig-site/1

Like I posted in the Kimberly King thread, this entire situation is nuts. I live and grew up about 5 miles from the dig site and crazy how this stuff can kind of hit so close to home in a way.

I remember as I was growing up in the 80s and 90s, hearing about all these cases and reading up on them as I got older and its crazy (and sad) that they all could be related to one monster. You sometimes think in the back of your mind, “maybe they somehow are all related”, but then you tell yourself, “nah, too, convenient”.

Similar to the Oakland County Child Killer, these horrible cases have remained in the minds of people in Metro Detroit over the years and kind of haunted Southeast Michigan. I just hope for all these families, that they obviously can get SOME kind of closure and peace. Just crazy all around.

BTW, to give people an idea of the dig site, it’s kind of strange. I’ve seen some news publications describe it as this vast “forest” and it’s really not. The square mile or so that the dig site is in, is one of the last few areas that “feel” rural and “woodsy” and feels kind of secluded but is surrounded by modern, BUSY suburbs. In the1970s and early 80s, rural and “in the woods” is DEFINITELY what the area was. It was the boonies. But today, the area surrounding, is complete Suburban expansion, big box stores, traffic like crazy, etc. A complete 180 from what it was like 30-40 + years ago. But in a strange way, that little area of the dig, still does feel like it’s isolated and harboring a “secret” if you will. Hard to explain, but you’d know if you’ve been around there.

I live on the other end of 23 mile road but grew up in Warren at that time frame then in Harrison Twp in the 80s. I never heard of these cases. (52 years old -me)

[h=1]Macomb Township dig for girls' remains stretches into 4th day[/h]
Trucks loaded with equipment, Warren police, FBI agents and others drove into the Macomb Township dig site on Thursday morning as the efforts to recover the remains of what authorities believe could be up four to six missing girls stretched into a fourth day.

The dig began Monday, and Warren Police Commissioner Bill Dwyer told media at a press conference on Wednesday that the search could go on longer, because they're taking a "systematic" approach.
https://www.freep.com/story/news/lo...18/05/10/arthur-ream-kimberly-king/597748002/

does anyone know if they found anything concrete, they seem confident. As though they might already have physical evidence.

I agree, there could be more. Some additional threads I bumped with the dig articles, but none of these names have been mentioned in the press:

Kathy Wilcox: https://www.websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?120180-MI-Kathy-Wilcox-15-Otsego-17-July-1972

Deanie Peters: https://www.websleuths.com/forums/s...Deanie-Pyle-Peters-13-Grand-Rapids-5-Feb-1981

Shaunda Green: https://www.websleuths.com/forums/s...-Shaunda-Renne-Green-13-Ypsilanti-15-Oct-1983

Joan Mason: https://www.websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?370169-MI-Joan-Mason-19-Highland-Park-25-Apr-1983

Some of these might be outside his known area of Wayne County but he was convicted for raping a 15 year old girl who was hitchhiking. He might have cruised around looking for runaway girls at first then started getting more confident and choosing girls closer to home that he had a known connection to like Cindy. JMO.

I didn't even look at the early 90's yet. He was free until 1996 but I don't know an exact date.

We may want to check Toledo area as well. It’s close enough.

does anyone know if they found anything concrete, they seem confident. As though they might already have physical evidence.

They have stated they found something but won't say what it was. No word on if they found remains yet but they might be keeping it quiet if they did until they can remove whatever they find.

My opinion is they may also have evidence previously seized from Ream's warehouse during the Cindy investigation. Maybe they just figured out something was connected to other missing girls. Watch the documentary here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lMi6H5-05k8
About 38 minutes into part 1 they are searching the warehouse and the find bucket with a box that has jewelry and a clipping of a missing person ad from a milk carton. The missing person ad was for Cindy's disappearance and published in 1996. They later presented that Missing ad as evidence in court that Ream had kept it as a "trophy". But they glossed right over the jewelry that they found in the same box-- it didn't belong to Cindy. I want to know who did it belong to-- other victims?

Did they not employ cadaver dogs at the site? Seems like a no brainer to narrow down the search area.

The other thing that stands out in all this...if it is indeed him who committed all these horrible acts...is how widespread he was. He was on the east side of Metro Detroit...Eastpointe and Warren are next door to each other, Macomb Twp 10-15 minutes up to the north...and then the west side of Metrot Detroit if he was involved with Kim Larrow (Canton), Kellie Brownlee (Novi), Nadine ODell (Inkster) and Cynthia Coon (Ann Arbor). Metro Detroit is huge and that’s a LOT of area to cover. Scary.

He even committed one of his crimes that he was convicted for in Gladwin County. So he traveled around so he didn't get caught. Strangely enough, when Arthur Ream lived in Roseville he lived within a few blocks of where I lived. I used to have some of the Macomb County undercover officers come in wheremy sister and I worked and one day my sister saw one parked a block from our house. When she drove by later, he was still there. The next time he came in where we worked, she asked him what he was doing parked there. He told us (this was 1994) that they had a man under surveillance for a missing girl from 1986. I knew it was Cindy. Our other sister lived in East Detroit where Cindy was kidnapped from. It's really a shame that there was so many missed opportunities to catch him through the years and he went on hurting other girls.

[h=1]Search for cold case bodies hits day 5 in Macomb Township[/h]
MACOMB TOWNSHIP, Mich. - Crews will be digging again Friday as the search for the remains of girls connected to convicted killer Arthur Ream continues in Macomb Township.

This is the 5th day of the dig. Nothing has been found.
However, over the course of a week officials have been able to narrow down their search to three acres near 23 Mile Road and North Avenue. Several agencies are joined in the search for the remains of four to six girls who went missing decades ago.
These are the cold cases that may be connected to Ream:

• The case of 12-year-old Kimberly King, from Warren, who disappeared in 1979
  • The disappearance of Kellie Brownlee, from Novi, when she was 17 in 1982
  • The case of Kim Larrow, who disappeared from Canton Township in 1981, when she was 15
  • The case of Nadine O'Dell, from Inkster, when she was 16 in 1974
  • The disappearance of Cynthia Coon, from Washtenaw County, when she was 13 in 1970
Police sources told Local 4 they are positive Ream is responsible for other crimes, but they aren't certain he's responsible for the disappearances of these girls.
https://www.clickondetroit.com/news/search-for-cold-case-bodies-hits-day-5-in-macomb-township

Warren police are confident they will find the bodies in a wooded area in southeastern Michigan now being called a burial site after recently reopening the investigation, Commissioner William Dwyer tells PEOPLE.

Ream is serving a life sentence for murdering 13-year-old Cindy Zarzyck in 1986. In 2008, he led investigators to her body in the same wooded area currently being searched.

Kimberly King went missing in September 1979 and was last seen trying to hitchhike in Warren to see some friends, Dwyer says.
“His profile fits,” Dwyer says of Ream. “All of these murders were random type pick-ups that turned into rapes. He would be patrolling [the area] for young girls and he’d see one out there maybe hitchhiking, offer them a ride or something, get them in [his vehicle], rape them and then murder them.”
Authorities are labelling the 68-year-old a suspected serial killer and rapist, Dwyer says.
He tells PEOPLE there is no connection between the girls.
http://people.com/crime/murderer-al...rch-same-area-where-a-body-was-already-found/

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maxnum
Back