GUILTY MI - Ashley Young, 32, dismembered, Kalamazoo, 29 Nov 2018 *arrests*

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Since I can't access Michigan court site - I'm going to post this here until I hear anything different. Maybe a video conference??

Wednesday, April 1st:
*Sentencing Hearing for both (@ am ET) – MI – Ashley Regina-Maria Young (31) (last seen Nov. 29, 2018, Oshtemo Township, Kalamazoo County, found Dec. 2, 2018) – for *Barbara Louise Chance (63/now 64) (Jared’s mother) charged (12/10/18), arrested (12/11/18) & arraigned (12/12/18) with accessory after the fact of a felony & perjury. Plead not guilty. $25K bond. (released on 12/12/18). Bound over from Kent County to Grand Rapids Circuit Court
1/6/20 Update: Barbara Chance plead no contest to charges of accessory after the fact to a felony & perjury the morning of Jan. 6, as her husband James, watching from the courtroom gallery, prepared to go to trial for the same charges. She will be sentenced on Feb. 19. The judge said based upon his evaluation, Barbara’s maximum sentence would be one year in the county jail, unless new information comes to light during the pre-sentence investigation that affects the evaluation. She has a ‘clean prior criminal history per Judge. James' trial started with jury selection Monday. 2/19/19 Update: Sentencing changed to April 1.
ALSO:
for *James Howard Chance (76/now 77) (Jared’s father) charged (12/10/18), arrested (12/11/18) & arraigned (12/12/18) with accessory after the fact of a felony & 2 counts of perjury. Plead not guilty. $25K bond. (released on 12/12/18). Bound over from Kent County to Grand Rapids Circuit Court
Trial began on 1/6/20 for only James with jury selection. Jurors: 7 women / 5 men. Trial ended on 1/13/20: Total deliberations (Day1-2) 13 hours 15 mins.
Trial info from 1/6/20 (Day 1) thru 1/13/20 (Day 6) reference post #186 here:
GUILTY - MI - Ashley Young, 32, dismembered, Kalamazoo, 29 Nov 2018 *arrests*

1/13/20 Day 6 Trial/Day 2 Deliberations: Prosecution & defense agrees the jury is deadlocked. Prosecution wants to accept verdict on charges(s) jury has decided on. Judge Denenfeld decides to allow verdict(s) will bring jury in to hear their verdict. Jury finds Chance guilty of acceptance after the fact, not guilty of one count of perjury (of lying about the time of day the family returned to Holland), hung on the other count of perjury (lying about the route they took home). Accessory after the fact carries a maximum sentence of 5 years in prison. Guidelines call 0-6 months in jail for Chance for accessory after the fact. He remains free until sentencing March 11. Sentencing rescheduled to April 1.
*Jared James Chance (29) – Trial was 9/9/19 & found guilty. Sentenced to 100 to 200 years.

@inmyhumbleopinion - I have your name in my notes for reference - anything on the court site about sentencing for these 2? TIA!
animated-smileys-waving-003.gif

@inmyhumbleopinion - I have your name in my notes for reference - anything on the court site about sentencing for these 2? TIA!
animated-smileys-waving-003.gif
17th Circuit Court does have a “name search” website, but record searches are $6.00 per name, and docket/register of actions cost an additional $2.50 per case ;).

And I was unable to find anything indicating that their sentencings took place on April 1st.

I was also unable to locate either one of them at Kent County Jail or in the Michigan Department of Corrections system:
Online Services - Kent County, Michigan
Offender Tracking Information System (OTIS)

It doesn’t appear that either one has a hearing coming up in the next two weeks, either:
Online Services - Kent County, Michigan

And according to the 17th circuit court homepage:
17TH CIRCUIT COURT PUBLIC NOTICE - COVID-19
Due to the Governor’s ‘Shelter in Place’ Executive Order in following the guidance of the Michigan Supreme Court, Administrative Order 2020-2, beginning March 17, 2020 through at least April 14th, 2020 the 17th Circuit Court is open and providing service but all face to face areas have been closed except for Personal Protection Orders, and, in the extremely rare case, certain essential hearings.”
17th Circuit Court - Kent County, Michigan

So I believe that the sentencings have been pushed back once again, but just in case, I sent an email to a reporter with the Holland Sentinel, who has been covering the case for a long time. I will let you know as soon as I hear back from her.

I checked with a family liaison, there was no sentencing this week in the case (boo)

A new sentencing date has yet to be scheduled.

We have to wait (sigh)

Last edited:
Just bumping up for @Nina Michigan - any news on a sentencing date, now that Michigan is "opening" up? And the April 14th closed deadline has passed?

TIA! :)

Finally found some "new" news - but no sentencing date yet...

Speedy justice: Another victim of COVID-19

April 22, 2020

GRAND RAPIDS, Mich. (WOOD) — Justice delayed is often referred to as the time it takes to solve and try a criminal case, but now that term has a whole new meaning as courts struggle with delays caused by the COVID-19 pandemic.

You may remember some of the serious cases that were making their way through the criminal justice system just a few weeks ago.

Barbra and James Chance await sentencing for their part in helping their son, Jared Chance, move evidence after he killed dismembered Ashley Young.
[.....]
Judge Mark Trusock is the chief judge in Kent County, which is essentially closed except for a few emergency hearings and non-contact business.

“I don’t want to put anyone in the public at risk. I don’t want put the staff at the courthouse at risk,” Trusock said Wednesday. “We’re just going to have to take this one step at a time. There’s no bench book for this. It’s not anything we can pull in from our experience and we don’t know how long this is going to go on.”

Kent County is only doing emergency hearings and proceedings that can be done with briefs and no in-court appearances will be done through at least May 15.
[.....]
Some criminal cases in West Michigan that have been delayed include:

Finally found some "new" news - but no sentencing date yet...

Speedy justice: Another victim of COVID-19

April 22, 2020

GRAND RAPIDS, Mich. (WOOD) — Justice delayed is often referred to as the time it takes to solve and try a criminal case, but now that term has a whole new meaning as courts struggle with delays caused by the COVID-19 pandemic.

You may remember some of the serious cases that were making their way through the criminal justice system just a few weeks ago.

Barbra and James Chance await sentencing for their part in helping their son, Jared Chance, move evidence after he killed dismembered Ashley Young.
[.....]
Judge Mark Trusock is the chief judge in Kent County, which is essentially closed except for a few emergency hearings and non-contact business.

“I don’t want to put anyone in the public at risk. I don’t want put the staff at the courthouse at risk,” Trusock said Wednesday. “We’re just going to have to take this one step at a time. There’s no bench book for this. It’s not anything we can pull in from our experience and we don’t know how long this is going to go on.”

Kent County is only doing emergency hearings and proceedings that can be done with briefs and no in-court appearances will be done through at least May 15.
[.....]
Some criminal cases in West Michigan that have been delayed include:

Michigan is closed pretty tight, no new date yet.

From the Justice for Ashley Young page on FB - James and Barbara got a year's probation, 30 days in jail, house arrest for the remainder of their probation and some fines.....

Unbelievably light sentence IMO

Here's a more accurate sentencing for James & Barbara Chance:

Killer’s parents get jail time in Ashley Young case

June 5, 2020

GRAND RAPIDS, Mich. (WOOD) — The parents of a man who murdered a woman and mutilated her body in 2018 were sentenced for their roles in the case.

James Chance, 78, was sentenced to a month in jail, a year of probation and house arrest with tether for 11 months for accessory after the fact.

Chance’s wife Barbara Chance will spend 45 days in jail for accessory after the fact and perjury. She took a plea deal rather than go to trial like her husband who was acquitted of perjury.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Maineguy1961
Back