Found Deceased MI - Brendan Santo 18, visitor, Michigan State University campus, East Lansing, 29 Oct 2021

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
It is frustrating when LE is claiming there is no foul play even before the young man's remains were recovered.

This is especially true when there apparently is no video of BS around the time he went missing. I get saying there is not foul play if you have video of or witnesses to him accidentally falling into the river. I do not believe that is the case here...IMO.

Now, even before a cause or manner of death is determined or toxicology reports are back, LE still claims no foul play. That may turn out to be the case, but what are they basing that determination on?

The body will not be in good shape after being in the water with a swift current and lots of debris for 80 days, even if the water is cold. The condition of the body when found is critical to the investigation.

Next, they need to screen for GHB in the tox, along with the other normal panels for controlled substances.

This young man had a pretty easy walk to navigate between where he left and where he was going, even with a river nearby. That alone should merit some scrutiny.

I assume thousands of "impaired" students walk the same path all the time during any given night on campus. Unless they are having kids fall in the river all the time and it is routine, it seems like you might want a little more evidence before determining there was no foul play?

See the Chris Jenkins case in Minnesota.

IMO

He was a freshman visiting from another University so chances are high he didn’t know his way around and they know his phone died so he didn’t have that to navigate. It’s easy to get lost on that campus with your navigation going off. My own grandson went with a couple friends this same weekend to visit 1 of his friends older brothers. Thats how they navigated around MSU by using their phone maps. They arrived Friday night to, actually stayed through Sunday night as there was tons of activity the entire weekend. It’s extremely common in Mi for kids to visit each other at other Universities my own kids use to do this all the time. Big game when MSU plays UofM. It’s not the 1st time that someone has fallen in this river.

LE has spent much time on this case, lots of pressure on MSU to, cameras not working, could have been intoxicated and he was not of legal drinking age. I assume they have covered the bases on what he was doing prior to disappearing and they have good reason to believe foul play was not a factor. With that being said MSU has done it’s share of covering up stuff including the recent past, always that possibility. Details have been kept quiet and it leads me to believe he most likely was either intoxicated or he slipped down where they should have had a barrier and MSU wants to keep it quiet. It’s tragic regardless cause this could have been any kid including my grandson. .

Why did it take them three months to search this area if they've had "a very strong suspicion" because it's a log jam and a body can get trapped there? Sorry, can you post the article in particular you are referring to? Thanks.

Sure! Here you go:

MSU police find body believed to be Brendan Santo in Red Cedar River

"Friday's efforts were focused on a "complex and dangerous" point in the river where a "significant" log jam was located, Rozman said. Search partners, including arborists from MSU, cleared trees and brush to allow divers to get a boat into the river, he said.

Rozman noted that searchers had been interested in that section of the river and had talked about how to search it safely. He did not explain what specifically led them to that area on Friday."

It is frustrating when LE is claiming there is no foul play even before the young man's remains were recovered.

This is especially true when there apparently is no video of BS around the time he went missing. I get saying there is not foul play if you have video of or witnesses to him accidentally falling into the river. I do not believe that is the case here...IMO.

Now, even before a cause or manner of death is determined or toxicology reports are back, LE still claims no foul play. That may turn out to be the case, but what are they basing that determination on?

The body will not be in good shape after being in the water with a swift current and lots of debris for 80 days, even if the water is cold. The condition of the body when found is critical to the investigation.

Next, they need to screen for GHB in the tox, along with the other normal panels for controlled substances.

This young man had a pretty easy walk to navigate between where he left and where he was going, even with a river nearby. That alone should merit some scrutiny.

I assume thousands of "impaired" students walk the same path all the time during any given night on campus. Unless they are having kids fall in the river all the time and it is routine, it seems like you might want a little more evidence before determining there was no foul play?

See the Chris Jenkins case in Minnesota.

IMO
I agree that authorities should wait for the autopsy results before declaring that there's "no foul play". It seems disrespectful to Brendan's family and to Brendan IMO. Don't they deserve a full investigation? The police had to publicly apologize to Chris Jenkins' family for announcing his cause of death prematurely.

Minneapolis Murder Mystery

MSU Police Find Body That Is Believed To Be Brendan Santo In Red Cedar River

Brendan-Santo.jpg

Jan 21, 2022

Today, police recovered a body from the Red Cedar River in Lansing at about 12:30 p.m. They found the body approximately 1.5 miles from where Santo was last seen.

Although the body is believed to be Santo, identification is still pending.

Police say they will continue to investigate and still believe there was no foul play involved or that Santo intended to harm himself.

Brendan Santo, a student of Grand Valley University, was last seen while visiting friends at MSU. Police say he was last seen leaving Yakeley Hall shortly before midnight on Oct. 29.

MSU Police: Tip From Private Investigator Led To Discovery Of Body Believed To Be Brendan Santo

Jan 22, 2022

(CBS Detroit) — In an update on Saturday, Michigan State University police said a private investigator working with Brendan Santo’s family notified them of what is believed to be Santo’s body located in the Red Cedar River after reviewing underwater video.

[..]

Police said identification is pending.

They said the area was of significant interest to authorities and Santo’s family. A search was scheduled for the week of Jan. 24 that would involve clearing logs and debris to make it safer for divers and get a boat in the water. Police said the family was also aware of the scheduled search.

However, at about midnight on Jan. 21, authorities were notified by private investigator Ryan Robison that while reviewing the video, he spotted something submerged in that area and suspected it was Santo’s body.

[..]

Police say that additional information was not initially released because they weren’t sure if Robison or the Santo family wanted it public.

“Our original news release said that we have worked collaboratively with the Santo family and their supporters, and that partnership was essential in our effort to find Brendan,” they said. “Not only is that statement true, we cannot thank Ryan enough for his relentless efforts. Ryan shared with responders that morning that he was in awe of the totality of the response on January 21 from divers and rescue teams from multiple departments.

Do we know who were the actually last people to see him? It says he was last seen leaving Yakeley Hall. Who was the last to see him? Do they have him on actual camera leaving? Was it the people (girls?) that he was visiting in the all girl dorm. Were they the actually last ones to see him?

11-15-21

On Friday, President Samuel Stanley said a camera at the entrance of Yakeley Hall was not working on the night of Santo’s disappearance.

“We are fixing that,” said Stanley, who added that he has ordered 300 new cameras throughout campus.

“Those cameras should be here in about a week and crews will begin installing them immediately,” he said.

Distress Grows 2 Weeks After GVSU Student Brendan Santo Disappeared From Michigan State Campus

Brendan is the 5th GVSU student to die tragically since 12/2020. I hope the school has very good grief counseling. I'm sure this is overwhelming for the students at GVSU.

Muskegon police conclude Grand Valley State University student drowned accidentally, close investigation
[Taleah] Lowe drowned Oct. 14 in Lake Michigan off Pere Marquette Park beach in Muskegon. She was with other GVSU students.

It was late, around 10:45 p.m., and the water was rough, with wind directions changing throughout the night, according to police. Witnesses reported a swimmer caught in a rip tide.

Alcohol, hypothermia caused Grand Valley student Taylor DeRosa's death
Taylor DeRosa, an 18-year-old freshman from Royal Oak, was found dead on the morning of Dec. 12 in an area near the intramural fields and cross country trail on the university's Allendale campus.

GV responds to student death on campus
Grand Valley State University has shared funeral information and resources for students struggling with the death of GVSU student Quentin “Quinn” Campbell, who died by suicide on Thursday, Dec. 9

Developing story: Two GV student deaths in October
On Oct. 22, GVSU students were notified via email that another student, Katelyn Nylund, had died in a vehicle crash on Oct. 21.

Last edited:
Update: Body found in Michigan confirmed to be missing teen Brendan Santo

Posted: JAN 21, 2022 / 02:04 PM CST | Updated: JAN 22, 2022 / 04:05 PM CST

(NewsNation Now) — A body found in Lansing, Michigan Friday was confirmed as that of missing 18-year-old Brendan Santo, Michigan State University police confirmed Saturday.

Santo, a freshman at Grand Valley State University, went missing in October when he was visiting friends at the Michigan State campus for Halloween.

“At approximately midnight on January 21st we were notified by Ryan Robison, a private investigator working with the Santo family, that while reviewing underwater video he saw something completely submerged in the water at (a) logjam that he strongly suspected was the body of Brendan Santo,” police wrote.

The logjam was located about 1.5 miles from where Santo was last seen, police previously told NewsNation affiliate WLNS-TV.

Body found in search for missing college student Brendan Santo

"Thank you so much for all your support and kindness to bring Brendan home. This is not the outcome we had hoped but we do have closure now," Brendan's family posted online.

"We are deeply saddened by this tragic loss and our thoughts and prayers go out to the Santo family and all those who knew Brendan," Michigan State University Police Department spokesperson Chris Rozman said in a statement.

Teen Vanished From Mich. Campus 3 Months Ago — and Family Is 'Desperately Begging' for Answers - PEOPLE

Jan 18, 2022

[..]

Throughout their investigation, an area of focus has continued to be the Red Cedar River, which is located near the area where the missing student was last seen. Unfortunately, searching the river has proved difficult.

"The water search is complex and challenging," police wrote in a case update last month. "We have used sonar, canines, and other underwater technology as part of the river search to identify areas of interest in the water."

Rozman told WDIV that in addition to having a current of about 5-6 mph, the "depth of the river is 8-12 feet, at times, and the visibility is 0-2 feet."

"There are also a lot of obstacles present in the river and other underwater entanglement hazards that present a lot of danger for the divers," the investigator noted.

[..]

Update: Body found in Michigan confirmed to be missing teen Brendan Santo

Posted: JAN 21, 2022 / 02:04 PM CST | Updated: JAN 22, 2022 / 04:05 PM CST

(NewsNation Now) — A body found in Lansing, Michigan Friday was confirmed as that of missing 18-year-old Brendan Santo, Michigan State University police confirmed Saturday.

Santo, a freshman at Grand Valley State University, went missing in October when he was visiting friends at the Michigan State campus for Halloween.

“At approximately midnight on January 21st we were notified by Ryan Robison, a private investigator working with the Santo family, that while reviewing underwater video he saw something completely submerged in the water at (a) logjam that he strongly suspected was the body of Brendan Santo,” police wrote.

The logjam was located about 1.5 miles from where Santo was last seen, police previously told NewsNation affiliate WLNS-TV.
50 FBI personnel, MSUPD, East Lansing PD, Ingham Co. Sheriff's Office, Michigan Attorney General, Michigan State PD, Oakland Co. Sheriff's Office all involved in the search...yet a PI with an underwater camera made the discovery. I think the authorities should hire Ryan Robinson.

IMO local LE can get warrants to track vehicles and obtain electronic data and they do not involve the FBI under most circumstances to obtain these warrants.

FBI also does not assist in cases were someone is believed to have accidentally fallen into a river.

If there were 50 people from the FBI at the search, there is something else at play. Perhaps the Feds are finally looking into all the young college age men that have ended up dead in rivers along the I-94 corridor?

Many of those cases had unusual circumstances and there may have been GHB involved in some as well...IMO.
Search continues for Brendan Santo | wzzm13.com

"An additional team of 50 FBI personnel have continued a ground search away from the river. " -wzzm13

I am still really interested in knowing why 50 FBI personnel appear on-site in a/any particular missing person case. I know local authorities can request assistance from the FBI due to its access to resources but 50 agents on the ground seems big. I'm not asking for speculation but am wondering if anyone has come across any official procedural information on why the feds would do this.

Last edited:
https://www.fox17online.com/news/lo...-believe-the-body-they-found-is-brendan-santo

Who found Brendan? Was it this volunteer, Mikaela Bray, or Ryan Robinson?

'Volunteers out there Friday evening said they gave officials a tip on Sunday of an overnight backpack found near the body.
"I just... I kept getting pulled to this area too," Mikaela Bray said.

MSU student and volunteer Bray never lost hope in finding Brendan Santo. She even saw a medium for help in her efforts.'s

"It's just funny because he kept saying, 'You're not going to spot me from the side. You're going to spot me from across.' And you can see like they went across to get him", Bray told FOX 17.
For months many questioned what had happened and where Brendan was.

One of those answers is possibly solved because of a tip from Bray.

"It was enough to be an overnight bag. And it's just important for us that we get the message across that we're not here for the reward. We're not here for the money; we want that to be given to the family, Bray told FOX 17. "I just hope the best for his family, and I truly hope that we can get some kind of memorial out here." '

Last edited:
Search continues for Brendan Santo | wzzm13.com

"An additional team of 50 FBI personnel have continued a ground search away from the river. " -wzzm13

I am still really interested in knowing why 50 FBI personnel appear on-site in a/any particular missing person case. I know local authorities can request assistance from the FBI due to its access to resources but 50 agents on the ground seems big. I'm not asking for speculation but am wondering if anyone has come across any official procedural information on why the feds would do this.

I don't interpret "50 FBI personnel have continued a ground search away from the river" to literally mean on-site at one time. I think the news network more likely provided 50 agents assigned to this missing case and searching for BS.

https://www.fox17online.com/news/lo...-believe-the-body-they-found-is-brendan-santo

Who found Brendan? Was it this volunteer, Mikaela Bray, or Ryan Robinson?

'Volunteers out there Friday evening said they gave officials a tip on Sunday of an overnight backpack found near the body.
"I just... I kept getting pulled to this area too," Mikaela Bray said.

MSU student and volunteer Bray never lost hope in finding Brendan Santo. She even saw a medium for help in her efforts.'s

"It's just funny because he kept saying, 'You're not going to spot me from the side. You're going to spot me from across.' And you can see like they went across to get him", Bray told FOX 17.
For months many questioned what had happened and where Brendan was.

One of those answers is possibly solved because of a tip from Bray.

"It was enough to be an overnight bag. And it's just important for us that we get the message across that we're not here for the reward. We're not here for the money; we want that to be given to the family, Bray told FOX 17. "I just hope the best for his family, and I truly hope that we can get some kind of memorial out here." '
I wonder which Sunday MB's tip was provided to officials -- Oct, Nov, Dec, etc., and when was the backpack located? I recall a video featuring his dad citing that none of his property had been located -- not even his hat.

From the link:

Volunteers out there Friday evening said they gave officials a tip on Sunday of an overnight backpack found near the body. "I just... I kept getting pulled to this area too," Mikaela Bray said.

Last edited:
...This young man had a pretty easy walk to navigate between where he left and where he was going, even with a river nearby. That alone should merit some scrutiny.

I assume thousands of "impaired" students walk the same path all the time during any given night on campus. Unless they are having kids fall in the river all the time and it is routine, it seems like you might want a little more evidence before determining there was no foul play?...IMO

<respectfully snipped>

After Brendan left Yakeley Hall and headed back to the Brody neighborhood, he texted someone that he "was lost". He obviously didn't know exactly where he was or where he was headed that dark and rainy night. Brendan was not a student at MSU and probably didn't know his way around the sprawling campus. I don't want to speculate about whether or not Brendan was "impaired", but he was not accustomed to walking around the MSU campus because he wasn't a student there.

Last edited:

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ezinu
Back