Found Deceased MI - Brendan Santo 18, visitor, Michigan State University campus, East Lansing, 29 Oct 2021

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
MSU police consulting with water experts to aid in river search efforts for Brendan Santo

“We have investigative leads that are pointing toward the river,” he said. “We don’t want to lock ourselves into an absolute with that situation, you know? We have used sonar as well as canines in our search of the river, which has increased our interest level in the river.”

MSU police have explored multiple options to enhance the search around the river, Rozman said. One of the ideas at one point was damming the river to make things easier for Michigan State Police divers, he said, but that option was quickly ruled out due to potential flooding damage that would occur across the MSU campus.

The challenges in finding Santo in the water include the river’s fast current, depth and lack of visibility, Rozman said. Most challenging, he said, has been the debris and obstacles underwater that are “entanglement hazards” for divers, and possibly Santo if he did indeed fall in the river. “There’s concrete piled upon concrete,” Rozman said. “Bikes and barricades and all kinds of stuff. Trees and limbs and just this big heap of mess that the divers consider entanglement hazards.”

Rozman also warned that if Santo did fall in the river, the recovery of a body may takes months. He pointed to the New Year’s Eve 1997 disappearance of 21-year-old Ryan Getz. It took three and a half months to find Getz’s body attached to a fallen tree in the Red Cedar River (Footprints at The River's Edge: 12/31/97: Ryan Getz, 21, East Lansing, MI)

MSU police consulting with water experts to aid in river search efforts for Brendan Santo

“We have investigative leads that are pointing toward the river,” he said. “We don’t want to lock ourselves into an absolute with that situation, you know? We have used sonar as well as canines in our search of the river, which has increased our interest level in the river.”

MSU police have explored multiple options to enhance the search around the river, Rozman said. One of the ideas at one point was damming the river to make things easier for Michigan State Police divers, he said, but that option was quickly ruled out due to potential flooding damage that would occur across the MSU campus.

The challenges in finding Santo in the water include the river’s fast current, depth and lack of visibility, Rozman said. Most challenging, he said, has been the debris and obstacles underwater that are “entanglement hazards” for divers, and possibly Santo if he did indeed fall in the river. “There’s concrete piled upon concrete,” Rozman said. “Bikes and barricades and all kinds of stuff. Trees and limbs and just this big heap of mess that the divers consider entanglement hazards.”

Rozman also warned that if Santo did fall in the river, the recovery of a body may takes months. He pointed to the New Year’s Eve 1997 disappearance of 21-year-old Ryan Getz. It took three and a half months to find Getz’s body attached to a fallen tree in the Red Cedar River (Footprints at The River's Edge: 12/31/97: Ryan Getz, 21, East Lansing, MI)
That's too bad. I was hoping they could dam the river so they could get a better look.

I wonder if the organization Adventures with Purpose has been contacted to aid in the search for Brendan? They located the car and body of a missing 84-year-old woman who drove into the water in Marine City, Michigan. The case was discussed on Websleuths.

Body of missing 84-year-old woman recovered from St. Clair River, family says (clickondetroit.com)

...“They’re missing their mom, their grandmother, sister for five months now and knowing nothing,” said Doug Bishop, with Adventures with Purpose.

Bishop said he wanted to help.

“We specialize in Underwater Searches Sonar,” Bishop said. “We have an uncanny ability to detect vehicles under water using our advanced sonar systems.”...

Found Deceased - MI - Nadine Vera Moses, 84, @2:30am tidied up & left home in '11 Ford Edge, Casco, 4 May 2021 (websleuths.com)

Last edited:
While the shooting at Oxford High School has become the focus of local news, I don't want people to forget that Brendan Santo is still missing. Prayers for the young man's family and friends as searchers continue to look for Brendan.

NOV 30, 2021
Oakland County PD conducts boat searches on Red Cedar River in Brendan Santo investigation - The State News
[...]

“The water search operation continues,” MSUPD inspector Chris Rozman said. ...

[...]

“Today the Oakland County Sheriff’s Office is actually here with a couple of their boats that are a little bit different style boats than we’ve used in the past,” Rozman said Tuesday. “Today we are conducting, I would say, boat search operations on the river, and I believe we had a couple dogs — couple canines — out earlier as well working with the river search team.”

Rozman said the search on Nov. 30 did not include any divers and was solely a boat search operation, but a dive operation will take place Thursday, Dec. 2.

“We’re going to have multiple dive teams on-site assigned to different sections of the river,” Rozman said. “So, they’re preparing for that as well.”

[...]

DEC 1, 2021
MSU Police: Authorities Have Not Found Brendan Santo (witl.com)
Some false rumors are making their way through East Lansing today.

It has been heavily rumored that Michigan State Police have found missing 18-year-old, Brendan Santo. These rumors are false.

[...]

MSU Police Say Divers Continue to Search for Brendan Santo’s Body | East Lansing Info
Michigan State University’s Police Department told ELi at 2:45 pm today that investigators have not found Brendan Santo’s body on campus and that the search continues for the missing 18-year-old Grand Valley State student, contrary to circulating rumors of a body being found.

For some reason this makes me so sad, I have been thinking of Brendan and his family so much over Thanksgiving. I keep hoping for a miracle. Whenever I am visiting my daughter on campus I can't help looking at every boy I see hoping it is him, even though I know it is unlikely he would just be walking about.
bbm
It's that "parenting" gene you have, @abeaman02! You got it when your first child was born!
It's happened to me before -- you hear someone speak, or you see a flash of hair, and you immediately look around, and then you kind of come back to the real world. In a split second...

Tim Miller, founder of Texas EquuSearch is an expert in finding remains in rivers using side scan sonar. Has has found remains missed by numerous other searches. He would be my "go to" in this situation.

"As of Thursday evening, police said they have not found anything belonging to Santo.

Authorities said they will continue to search the Red Cedar River during the winter."
--------------------
"Officials with Michigan State University Police and Public Safety said they’ve worked with the university’s tree experts to further clear parts of the river.

“We had a couple of log jams and a couple areas that we couldn’t access previously,” said Chris Rozman, with MSU Police. “We’ve actually worked this week with our Arborists at MSU that have actually been on the boats with the teams and actually worked with equipment and chainsaws to clear some of those areas to allow the boats to get farther to the west and divers to get in the water in different areas that we’ve been unable to check before.”
---------------------
Agencies from across Michigan join expanded search for Brendan Santo
------------------------------

Ack, nothing new. :-(

I can't imagine what more can be done -- I'm not saying to stop, I'm just amazed and very impressed with the effort, expertise, and the not-giving-up attitude by everyone involved.
Such a tragedy. Somehow I guess his family got through the Thanksgiving holiday -- I just cannot imagine what their lives are like now.
That sweet-looking young man...

Are they looking anywhere besides the river? As an MSU grad, my instinct is the river. However, if he is not located in the river, do they have other ideas?

When I attended MSU in the early 2000s, a student noticed a person floating in the Red Cedar in the heart of campus. That person called LE immediately and a search ensued. It took about a week, if memory serves, before the person was located not too far down stream. He got caught up on debris under the water. It took that long to search the river with a known location. With no starting point I can't imagine how long the search could take.

DEC 2, 2021
Search continues for Brendan Santo | wzzm13.com
A larger search effort began Thursday morning in an attempt to find Brendan Santo, who has been missing since Oct. 29.

[...]

The river has been divided into segments by dive teams, with 35 divers spanning the river.

[...]

An additional team of 50 FBI personnel have continued a ground search away from the river. Police have confirmed that no evidence or personal property belonging to Santo has been located at this time.

[...]

Large law enforcement presence on MSU campus for Brendan Santo search - The State News
[...]

On Dec. 2, an enhanced search operation was conducted east and north of the Red Cedar River located at the Jenison Fieldhouse. There is a similar search site west of Harrison Road, closer to Brody.

[...]

During the search, the river has been divided into sections each team was assigned to search. Of particular interest has been the area of the river on campus from the Kalamazoo Street Bridge west to Harrison Road.

[...]

“This doesn't wrap up our river search operation,” he said. “This is just an enhanced operation we did today to clear a section of the river we really were interested in. We can, then, push west from here, west of Harrison closer as the Red Cedar River goes towards Grand River.”

[...]

DEC 2, 2021
Search for missing Brendan Santo remains focused on river with more dive operations (ourmidland.com)
In preparation for the Dec. 2. dive operations, investigators have consulted with experts on topics, including how a river flows and what water levels should be in certain environments, according to reporting by WLNS. Officials also spent Wednesday, Dec. 1, preparing the area for a thorough search by removing wood and debris from the river.

The challenges in finding Santo in the water include the river’s fast current, depth and lack of visibility, according to reporting by MLive.

"There’s concrete piled upon concrete," MSU Police Inspector Chris Rozman told MLive. "Bikes and barricades and all kinds of stuff. Trees and limbs and just this big heap of mess that the divers consider entanglement hazards."

Rescue divers search for 18-year-old Brendan Santo, last seen at Michigan State University (clickondetroit.com)
[...]

Michigan State Police officer Chris Rozman said there are 35 rescue divers from Oakland, Macomb, Wayne and Washtenaw county sheriff’s department’s searching the Red Cedar River for any trace of the missing teen.

[...]

Teams have been using sonar equipment and dark vision goggles to search for clues.

“The depth of the river is 8-12 feet at some points. The visibility is 0-2 feet and there’s about a 5 to 6 mile per hour current,” Rozman said.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AR Sleuth
Back