Found Deceased MI - Brendan Santo 18, visitor, Michigan State University campus, East Lansing, 29 Oct 2021

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
I’m sorry for your loss. GO GREEN!

^^ Above is pretty solid example of the type of ribbing between MSU fans (such as myself) and U of M fans, such as @Skigirl.

I fully agree with her in this case - this rivalry is very Midwestern, IMHO. Lots of ribbing, lots of passive aggressive jabs, no violence over baseline level in these communities.

Also, you’ll see folk in UM gear searching for Brendan 100%

bbm
Very good points, @minneolo, and it shows a wonderful type of team spirit. We all want our schools to win The Big Game, but goodwill, caring, and doing the right thing should rise above, as these students are doing.
There will be another game, but our priority now is Brendan. Warms my heart.

Still searching for any of these items.

Bring Brendan Santo Home

Admin
Kj0-l_-Oy9X.png

· u11g832a h46mof01rsd ·

BBH Warriors
These are the items that we were looking for during the searches. We are pinning this post to the Featured section for future reference.

NOV 18, 2021
Brendan Santo, GVSU student, still missing after nearly 3 weeks (fox17online.com)
[...]

Michigan State University Police say they are investigating all possibilities. Anyone with information is asked to use this tip-line. ...

MSUPD is getting help from all types of surrounding agencies. ... They're asking any volunteers helping to avoid the Red Cedar.

[...]

The hardest part about searching the river is its quick current and ever-changing conditions. The Red Cedar moves at about 6 miles per hour. The portion of the river being searched, the area north of the Spartan Statue and west towards Harrison is particularly difficult because of its curves and location in perspective to the dam behind Wells hall.

Family is searching for Santo daily, with search groups on campus. Santo's school, Grand Valley State University has been donating lunch for all those trying to find him.

[...]

I’m sorry for your loss. GO GREEN!

^^ Above is pretty solid example of the type of ribbing between MSU fans (such as myself) and U of M fans, such as @Skigirl.

I fully agree with her in this case - this rivalry is very Midwestern, IMHO. Lots of ribbing, lots of passive aggressive jabs, no violence over baseline level in these communities.

Also, you’ll see folk in UM gear searching for Brendan 100%
So true. I had never thought of it as "midwestern" but that's exactly right. Half the state walks around in MSU sweatshirts and the other half in U of M sweatshirts, and it makes me chuckle to even think of these people (middle aged-men, grannies, babies, college-aged students) beating on each other because they're fans of one or the other.

Agree that there are almost certainly plenty of wolverines praying that he is found.

So true. I had never thought of it as "midwestern" but that's exactly right. Half the state walks around in MSU sweatshirts and the other half in U of M sweatshirts, and it makes me chuckle to even think of these people (middle aged-men, grannies, babies, college-aged students) beating on each other because they're fans of one or the other.

Agree that there are almost certainly plenty of wolverines praying that he is found.

This University of Michigan alum is praying that he is found.

NOV 19, 2021
Brendan Santo search continues as MSU reassures on public safety (lansingstatejournal.com)
This weekend marks three weeks since Brendan Santo went missing while visiting friends at Michigan State University.

True-crime app releases 3D augmented reality poster of Brendan Santo (fox17online.com)
[...]

The poster comes as courtesy of CrimeDoor, an award-winning true-crime app. They say the poster, which displays all relevant information regarding Santo’s disappearance, can be viewed by clicking this link while on a mobile device.

“Over the last few decades, there has been very little innovation in terms of the traditional missing person flyers, amber alerts, or similar ways of alerting the public and requesting help,” says Co-Founder Lauren Mandt. “This innovation speaks to the current mobile user by creating an interactive and immediate way of creating awareness while delivering detailed information to the public.”

[...]

NOV 19, 2021
Brendan Santo search continues as MSU reassures on public safety (lansingstatejournal.com)
This weekend marks three weeks since Brendan Santo went missing while visiting friends at Michigan State University.

True-crime app releases 3D augmented reality poster of Brendan Santo (fox17online.com)
[...]

The poster comes as courtesy of CrimeDoor, an award-winning true-crime app. They say the poster, which displays all relevant information regarding Santo’s disappearance, can be viewed by clicking this link while on a mobile device.

“Over the last few decades, there has been very little innovation in terms of the traditional missing person flyers, amber alerts, or similar ways of alerting the public and requesting help,” says Co-Founder Lauren Mandt. “This innovation speaks to the current mobile user by creating an interactive and immediate way of creating awareness while delivering detailed information to the public.”

[...]

This is likely a great thing, but I am not tech savvy and I do try to be cautious with my security. I hope someone here can help me understand.
In order to use this new invention you have to give access to your camera, etc. Is this a good idea? Is is secure? Thanks to whoever can clear that up for me!

Attachments

• F18C87BF-D815-4798-9365-BC8647480F48.png
    F18C87BF-D815-4798-9365-BC8647480F48.png
    238.3 KB · Views: 35
  • 38EB2246-FB0E-4BEF-BBA3-6F6373246484.png
    38EB2246-FB0E-4BEF-BBA3-6F6373246484.png
    257.9 KB · Views: 27
Still searching for any of these items.

Bring Brendan Santo Home

Admin
Kj0-l_-Oy9X.png

· u11g832a h46mof01rsd ·

BBH Warriors
These are the items that we were looking for during the searches. We are pinning this post to the Featured section for future reference.
Those shoes are pretty pricey and hard to get (they are a limited edition collab shoe) and the necklace and phone seem to be of value as well. I wonder if there's a possibility of theft leading to foul play here.

Sorry I've been MIA on this thread for a couple weeks - I've had some other cases that have been super time consuming.

The water thing is mystifying.
If you fell forward, you’d be right at the edge where it’s not deep? You wouldn’t be knee deep in the water trying to relieve yourself?
Stand far enough away to not get your shoes wet?
Back in High School I was walking around a lake at night with a group of people. It was very dark and no one had flashlights (or cell phones) so I was judging where to walk by following the person in front of me. The path turned a corner but I didn’t see the turn, cut the corner and slipped, hitting the back of my head on a rock which briefly knocked me out. It was only a short slope but it was muddy, and unconscious me slipped feet first into the water. I woke up with my head on the slope and the rest of me on my back with water lapping against my chin.

It was in the middle of a group and everyone was completely sober yet only the person immediately behind me had any idea I’d fallen since I didn’t yelp or make a splash. I foggily came to hearing my friend yell my name while a bunch of arms were dragging me out of the water. Up to now it’s just been a funny “remember when” story, but this case reminds me had no-one noticed and/or had there been a current I may well have drowned. It’s not hard to imagine Brendan taking a similar fall.

ETA if this had happened today and I’d fallen unnoticed and drowned, no doubt you-tubers would be accusing my friends of cult murder and the whole world would know I’m sloppy, can’t cook, hated my last boss and have a history of driving faster than the law allows.

Last edited:
Wow, @Colorado303, what a night you had. And thank goodness there was someone who saw what happened. Knocked out -- how dangerous. Scary, scary, scary.
You made some good points. Bad things can and do, as we WS'ers know, happen. What a mess you probably were -- all that mud, etc., and realizing what happened to you. SMH. Wow. So glad you were with a group...
Poor Brendan wasn't, as far as we know.
In spite of the personal flaws that you listed in your post :eek:..:confused:, I always look forward to what you have to say. ;)

To enhance their search efforts, MSU Police have called on Michigan State Police and the Ingham County Sheriff’s Office to aid in their search on foot, be helicopter, by drone and boat. Extensive efforts were made to locate Santo in the Red Cedar river, but high water levels have made that difficult.
Now, with the water level lower by three feet, police are hopeful that search will go easier

Brendan Santo: Growing reward, lowering water levels give new hope in search

Have they done a complete search in the woods where he may have gone missing?He may not be in the river but somewhere under the leaves in the woods. I'd do an arm in arm (people chain) search through that area a mile in each direction.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CWM227
Back