Found Deceased MI - Brendan Santo 18, visitor, Michigan State University campus, East Lansing, 29 Oct 2021

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Eventually, in Michigan, many waterways will develop a layer of ice depending on depth and currents. We're probably several weeks away from major freezing, but it's something that will come into play as the search for Brendan continues. If he is in the water, I hope and pray that he is found before winter really sets in here in Michigan.

I was just thinking this last night as I track my southern boy's first winter in East Lansing.

Often, I wish WS had reaction emojis like there are on other social media. Sad faces abound in this thread. :-(

Just looked at it on good ol' Google Maps -- it's not that far from Red Cedar, and it is indeed bigger/broader. Does the Red Cedar flow towards the Grand? It looks like it eventually does...Oh, my.
If he drifted down the Grand, who knows where he/his body is now? Have the searchers been searching the Grand? SMH.

I'm assuming that LE has calculated based on the flow rate, depth, weather conditions, wind, etc, including his weight and how bodies tend to flow when in water and have targeted the places he could be. There are probably LE who are knowledgeable about this kind of thing. But, that's only a starting point if visibility isn't good or there tends to be lots of shifting debris, etc. I guess. I would have thought that being able to use all the tools and science and math at our disposal would have led to a discovery. Doesn't sonar map things under water? (Thinking of watching things about Loch Ness haha) That's one thing that's incredibly heart-breaking -- all of of these things haven't been enough to bring him home. I'm sure the feeling of helplessness among the LE is overwhelming.

After reading he contacted a girl last but phone died ..anyone could have contacted the girl with his phone if it was indeed a text. I have not seen it discussed here, the possibility of foul play coming into play because of 1. the hatered some football or sports fans have for the "other team". I have seen fights and read of fights and even deaths occuring during these fights between rival fans. Espcially when booze involved. So the question begging to be asked to this sports fan from Rochester - is would a Michigan Fan visitor be welcome on a MSU campus the night befor 2 undefeated rivals were to play? Would a friend be able to enlighten us by revealing if he was a Michigan fan and/or was he advertising or talking about beating State in the big game? I can see a motive if he angered the wrong person . I see a double possible motive if a Michigan Fan was hitting on a MSU girl also making some drunk kid MSU guy double mad. Lastly I have to include the possiblity of a illegal substance or some type of craigslist ticket sale or something he may have fell for.. The key is the midnight trip purpose. I get the feeling something is not being revealed . We in the skilled trades , as cops do, work in teams--so I have to go straight to the person he teamed with going to some strange dorm with who would or did not leave when he left, violating the we walk on the job walk off the job together rule......So my thoughts on the possibilities other than falling or jumping in a cold frickin river to end it all. IMO.

Last edited:
After reading he contacted a girl last but phone died ..anyone could have contacted the girl with his phone if it was indeed a text. I have not seen it discussed here, the possibility of foul play coming into play because of 1. the hatered some football or sports fans have for the "other team". I have seen fights and read of fights and even deaths occuring during these fights between rival fans. Espcially when booze involved. So the question begging to be asked to this sports fan from Rochester - is would a Michigan Fan visitor be welcome on a MSU campus the night befor 2 undefeated rivals were to play? Would a friend be able to enlighten us by revealing if he was a Michigan fan and/or was he advertising or talking about beating State in the big game? I can see a motive if he angered the wrong person . I see a double possible motive if a Michigan Fan was hitting on a MSU girl also making some drunk kid MSU guy double mad. Lastly I have to include the possiblity of a illegal substance or some type of craigslist ticket sale or something he may have fell for.. The key is the midnight trip purpose. I get the feeling something is not being revealed . We in the skilled trades , as cops do, work in teams--so I have to go straight to the person he teamed with going to some strange dorm with who would or did not leave when he left, violating the we walk on the job walk off the job together rule......So my thoughts on the possibilities other than falling or jumping in a cold frickin river to end it all. IMO.

The LE have said at every turn that they don't have any reason to suspect foul play, so I think we leave it at that (IMO).

Second, he's not from Uof M. He's from Grand Valley state and was visiting friends at MSU. (I think they are high school friends, not sure.) I wasn't up there, but my kid is and I follow the parents FB page which had lots of (good-natured) trash talk before the game. I don't think this is a game that tpyically inspires fan-on-fan violence.

The LE have said at every turn that they don't have any reason to suspect foul play, so I think we leave it at that (IMO).

Second, he's not from Uof M. He's from Grand Valley state and was visiting friends at MSU. (I think they are high school friends, not sure.) I wasn't up there, but my kid is and I follow the parents FB page which had lots of (good-natured) trash talk before the game. I don't think this is a game that tpyically inspires fan-on-fan violence.
I'm a triple alum of U of M (bachelor's master's, ph.d.) and can confirm that there is very little (or maybe none) by the way of fan-on-fan violence between MSU and U of M. It's just not a thing.

JMO MOO While the river seems the simplest explanation, I have not thrown out foul play. From snooping around, so MOO, I think he knew the people he was visiting at the dorm - at least the girl he texted, and the guys he was with. I am assuming it was a text because his Missing FB Page says that the friend responded. Then his phone battery died of "natural causes" per LE. I definitely saw some mean and hateful remarks from some MSU idiots on the Missing page before they were deleted. Probably just some troll looking for his 15 minutes, but still, it speaks to the possibility. I definitely think some things are being held close to the vest. I have found nothing to suggest Brendan was a partier, but being young and out of his element, he could have come into contact with some partying drunk bullies... Again, just a theory...MOO JMO. I also don't discount the attention to the river, but my opinion is that if he is in the river, it was an accident. ETA: Not dissing MSU at all - I believe it to be a great school and this could have happened anywhere.

Last edited:
I'm a triple alum of U of M (bachelor's master's, ph.d.) and can confirm that there is very little (or maybe none) by the way of fan-on-fan violence between MSU and U of M. It's just not a thing.
exactly "very little"... thanks for "never ever"

Correction he just got to Grand Valley as a Incoming Freshman I believe , he is from my area Rochester Adams High and let me tell you about the U of M flags on the cars on game day and on flagpoles in Rochester Hills, Mi as well as State flags. . That said L.E. of course will say no foul play .....to keep possible perp off track maybe make a bo-bo . IMO

How long was the walk to the friend’s dorm? I wonder if he did pee, why he didn’t wait until he got back to his friend’s dorm? Did he not have a key or maybe lost it? Or was he just simply walking back to where his car was parked, and not the actual dorm?

Also, sorry if I missed it, but did they show an area where his phone last pinged?

I live in MI and so so many people are searching and helping out. He has a Facebook page Bring Brendan Santo Home. Praying for this family. Lots of info.
Same here
I live within 30-40 miles from MSU

I keep checking for updates,
but DARN IT-- Brendan still has not been found.

Praying for his family and friends.

NOV 17, 2021
Reward in missing persons case of Brendan Santo nearly doubled (fox2detroit.com)
The reward for information leading to the recovery of Brendan Santo, the missing 18-year-old from Rochester Hills, has been increased again to more than $20,000.

MSU police release photos of Brendan Santo's possessions as search continues (fox17online.com)
257321745_6675866102453888_8558844916361383635_n.jpg

Why wasn’t the dorm camera working the night Brendan Santo disappeared at Michigan State University? (clickondetroit.com)
... The university held a virtual town hall meeting on Wednesday night to discuss concerns about campus safety.

Officials said the chips in the cameras had to be removed per the federal government earlier in the summer because they were banned.

[IMG said:
https://scontent-sea1-1.xx.fbcdn.ne...cb4b79ff71266cb40d421174122&oe=619B1C9F[/IMG]

Why wasn’t the dorm camera working the night Brendan Santo disappeared at Michigan State University? (clickondetroit.com)
... The university held a virtual town hall meeting on Wednesday night to discuss concerns about campus safety.

Officials said the chips in the cameras had to be removed per the federal government earlier in the summer because they were banned.

Presumably this was because of people who get very silly about CCTC, saying they infringe their civil liberties, when we all know numerous cases where CCTV footage has enabled rapists and murderers to be caught and provided important information regarding previous locations of people who are missing.

I'm a triple alum of U of M (bachelor's master's, ph.d.)

I’m sorry for your loss. GO GREEN!

^^ Above is pretty solid example of the type of ribbing between MSU fans (such as myself) and U of M fans, such as @Skigirl.

I fully agree with her in this case - this rivalry is very Midwestern, IMHO. Lots of ribbing, lots of passive aggressive jabs, no violence over baseline level in these communities.

Also, you’ll see folk in UM gear searching for Brendan 100%

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rah1991
Back