GUILTY MI - Charlie Bothuell, 12, Detroit, 16 June 2014

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
http://www.myfoxdetroit.com/story/25870992/missing-12-year-old-boy-found-alive

"Charlie's father and stepmother have been questioned by police and told Fox 2's Taryn Asher they were angered by how they were treated. Monique Bothuell, Charlie's stepmother, says she refused to take a polygraph test. The child apparently went missing in her care, upset she was going to tell his father he didn't finish his required workout."

Did anyone else read that last sentence and scratch your head? What the heck? What 12 year old has a required workout? The fact that he was "upset" because she was going to tell his dad he didn't finish his required workout speaks volumes to me if that's what really happen which of course, like everybody else, I'm doubting.

This story has been crazy since day one and the twists just keep on coming.

I'm so glad Charlie has been found alive and hopefully he feels comfortable enough to tell the police what actually happened.

The only thing I can think of is if the kid had some sort of behavior disorder like ADHD and they didn't want to treat with meds. Some people will try physical activities to try and keep it in check.

But, it would still be incredibly sad if he ran away because he was too scared to tell his dad he didn't finish.

I think a lot of people would expect a more emotional response, and are bothered by how he reacted. One thing to keep in mind is that most men are raised or conditioned to believe that strong emotional reactions, emotional outbursts, or other very obvious/powerful expressions of emotion are symbolic of "weakness". Many are taught by either family or society that men are supposed to be stoic; that men are supposed to suppress or hold in emotions, especially crying or anything that could be construed as "hysterical". He may be used to keeping his emotions in check, or he may be trying his hardest to be level-headed and some kind of stability or strength for his family. I am not saying this is an excuse, but rather, a perspective to consider.

Everyone reacts to extreme emotions, grief, etc., differently, and while I think it's only natural to seek answers or clues in the behaviors of the family, we have to also respect the fact that unless we have been in a situation like that, we really don't know how we would behave. It's easy to make assumptions about how someone SHOULD act, but like I said, we don't know all the factors that affect how a person behaves in such extremely emotional and traumatizing situations. His shock seemed genuine to me. He's been searching for his lost son, had just recently been told the investigation was moving into the realm of possible homicide, and was probably not only trying to digest all the emotions and thoughts that manifested from all of that, but also trying to be as calm and stable as he could be on national television so he's as effective/helpful as possible in raising awareness about his missing child. And then he's blindsided by NG on live television with the vague statement that they "found his son"? That's a lot to absorb in an instant, and I think his sort-of speechless and stunned was response wasn't shady or strange. Then again, JMO!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Following is JMO, but I don't always buy that men act the way they do because they must always be strong and that it's societally unacceptable for them to be emotional. I've seen enough cases here where fathers fell to their knees at the loss of their child. Bawling their eyes out because their child was found. I believe deep in my heart, when it relates to familial issues, a man is just as capable as a woman to give in to those emotions.

Granted, it's not often one learns their child has been found via NG, there still something not quite right that I can't explain away with being a man, shock, being on TV. etc.

JMO & :twocents:

Are you just being contrarian here? I feel like I'm being very clear with what I'm trying to get across. I get that you don't believe the father is innocent and I'm not trying to force you to agree with me, I'm trying to at least help you (and others) understand my point of view using examples that people experience in their everyday lives.

My point is simply that irrelevant examples of completely different situations that people experience in their every day lives don't really help to shed any light on what is going on here imo.

His father admits to discipline but maintains his son was never abused.

"It's only evidence if there was some crime committed. No crime committed here. That's not what happened," the father says.

Fox 2 has learned the father is expected to face child abuse charges in the next couple of days. Fox 2's Taryn Asher reports a warrant will be handed over to the prosecutor. Charlie's stepmother could also face a few charges.

Meanwhile, 12-year-old Charlie is being treated at Children's Hospital. The extent of his injuries, if he had any, is unclear at this point. He is said to be with his biological mother at the hospital.

http://www.myfoxdetroit.com/story/2...ges-after-missing-boy-found-alive-in-basement

Was stepmom hiding him from Daddy or was he hidden in order that injuries had time to heal?

http://www.myfoxdetroit.com/story/2...ges-after-missing-boy-found-alive-in-basement

Was stepmom hiding him from Daddy or was he hidden in order that injuries had time to heal?

Oh goodness...

Or was dad going to try to play the kidnappers must have harmed his son card?

From Donjeta's article above -- explains the possibility of homicide.

The boy, who was homeschooled and on a strict exercise routine, was often beat with a PVC pipe that has now been taken in as evidence.

In fact, sources say blood was found in the boy's room and on some of his clothes. That's why police widened the scope of the investigation and, at first, wouldn't rule homicide out.

http://www.myfoxdetroit.com/story/25870992/missing-12-year-old-boy-found-alive

"Charlie's father and stepmother have been questioned by police and told Fox 2's Taryn Asher they were angered by how they were treated. Monique Bothuell, Charlie's stepmother, says she refused to take a polygraph test. The child apparently went missing in her care, upset she was going to tell his father he didn't finish his required workout."

Did anyone else read that last sentence and scratch your head? What the heck? What 12 year old has a required workout?

If he is involved with a team sport at his school or in the community, a required work-out may be just part of his weekly schedule or a condition his parents set for him if he wanted to participate in said team sport. I don't think it's too outrageous for him to have "required work-outs" if he is involved in sports or perhaps wants to be in an upcoming school year. The work-out could be something as simple as running some laps or light weight training or some kind of exercise routine designed for him and/or the sport he is possibly involved in or wants to be involved in.

Knowing this makes me swing more toward this being some kind of runaway situation. A lot of children crack under the pressure (intentional or not) from family to succeed and do well in all they are involved in; maybe Charlie was just exasperated and wanted to "get away" from that pressure, considering he ran away before. IIRC, it was presumed that he was headed toward his mother's home when he ran away before – maybe he was hit hard by his parents’ divorce, maybe he is having problems adjusting to living with or listening to his stepmother as an authority figure, etc. Maybe the threat of his father learning about him not doing his work-out scared him and he ran to escape punishment; then once the police were involved, he was REALLY frightened and confused and didn't want to get in further or more serious trouble.

Also, I just wanted to add that I don't believe the child was being abused. I haven't seen any evidence to support that and won't make assumptions about that. His punishment didn't necessarily have to be severe or abusive for him to be scared enough to run away or hide to avoid it. I remember when I was that age, and I wasn't as upset at being "grounded" or something like that as I was at the thought of having to "have a talk" with my dad about what I did. Sometimes having to admit a mistake to your parents or getting a stern lecture is anxiety-inducing enough for a twelve year old kid; especially if you are already under pressure to always perform well. JMO, but I could definitely understand that.

What bothers me the most is: where did he hide this whole time? If he was not in the basement or house the duration of the disappearance, and I don't believe he was, then where was he? Kids can be pretty crafty and clever at that age, but I don't see how he could have done all this himself. Maybe at some point he reached out to a friend or younger member of his family, and instead of admitting he ran away, they tried to concoct a situation where he could be "found" safely without having to come out and tell everyone he just ran away and/or was scared.

IDK: these are just some of the random thoughts coming to mind. Kids do crazy stuff all the time to avoid problems that to us, as adults, don't seem like a big deal – just think of the new stories we hear about little kids stealing their parent's car for a joy ride or to "get away". No matter how intelligent or sensible a kid may be, they are still children; their brains aren't fully formed and rarely do they think out consequences or possible outcomes in advance. Hopefully we will all get some answers soon!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

@ Bear -- recent articles indicate Charlie was home schooled. His workouts seem to be parent lead at this point.

I dunno, I place expectations on my children. I expect they will do their best in school. I expect they will respect their elders etc. However, LE will never find a bloody pipe in my home.

I'm almost completely convinced Charlies previous runaway was related to being abused.

A bloody PVC pipe is without a doubt, abusive. I'm so sorry, Charlie. Praying you're safe from harm from this day forward.

OFGS! :rolleyes:

He's either the worst actor on the planet or I'm seeing things.

But Nancy face/look was "priceless". And when he was given a cell phone, he just looked at it and acted like he was going to call and never did. "Razzie" award for his acting.

I think step mom is trying to save her behind and that she and his dad hid Charlie because he had injuries

yep the story coming forth sounds about right smh..............he was working out my behind.

I think step mom is trying to save her behind and that she and his dad hid Charlie because he had injuries

The bloody pipe, clothes, and room would seem to indicate that. It's reported Charlie is currently hospitalized, but no injuries have been denied or confirmed. I'm hoping against hope that stepmom wasn't involved in the abuse and can testify against her husband.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SapphireGem
Back