GUILTY MI - Charlie Bothuell, 12, Detroit, 16 June 2014

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Following is JMO, but I don't always buy that men act the way they do because they must always be strong and that it's societally unacceptable for them to be emotional. I've seen enough cases here where fathers fell to their knees at the loss of their child. Bawling their eyes out because their child was found. I believe deep in my heart, when it relates to familial issues, a man is just as capable as a woman to give in to those emotions.

Granted, it's not often one learns their child has been found via NG, there still something not quite right that I can't explain away with being a man, shock, being on TV. etc.

JMO & :twocents:

I wasn't trying to imply that all men are like that, or that they all believe they should act like that – I know and have known many who break the mold when it comes to that kind of stereotypical or presumed behavior from men. I just wanted to include that bit because we never know what is really going on inside the minds of others, or all the factors that go into how a person responds to extremely emotional or traumatizing experiences. Some men may have trouble showing or expressing emotion, especially if they have been raised to suppress those feelings.

I have also seen many a true crime show where people said their first reaction to a missing loved one being found, dead or alive, was shock and/or numbness. Sometimes information like that takes a few minutes to be fully absorbed, and sometimes people are so overwhelmed at that moment that they can't react with anything but shock or confusion. I have also seen people I know personally who respond to extreme emotion circumstances differently than I would or differently than I would expect from them. People express emotions in multitude of ways. I don't think it is fair to have an expected response from a person, and then judge them when they don't react how we expect they should or the way we personally would. In later interviews, he was seen becoming emotional or crying/breaking down, and people assumed that those emotions weren't "correct" or were false – it seems like no matter how he acts, someone is critical of it. Again, JMHO; I could be wrong.

I am very interested in the events surrounding the stepmother, the initial disappearance, more details about what happened before/during/after those first calls to police. I know reports from earlier mentioned Charlie went to the bathroom and disappeared from there, or something like that; was there a window in the bathroom he could have snuck out of? How long was he unsupervised or away from his stepmom before she realized he was gone? Etc., etc., etc. Also, this just sort of hit me now, but in divorce situations, aren't mothers usually given primary custody, given they are stable and able to care for their children? Was there a reason Charlie's father had custody instead of his biological mother, or was it just worked out that way because it was what was best/easiest for the family? I am starting to think WAY too into this...

Hopefully we get some answers soon. If you are right about the father being involved and manipulating this situation, then I do hope LE slap the cuffs on him and Charlie is given to family members who truly love and care for him, and will see that justice is carried out for him.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I wasn't trying to imply that all men are like that, or that they all believe they should act like that – I know and have known many who break the mold when it comes to that kind of stereotypical or presumed behavior from men. I just wanted to include that bit because we never know what is really going on inside the minds of others, or all the factors that go into how a person responds to extremely emotional or traumatizing experiences. Some men may have trouble showing or expressing emotion, especially if they have been raised to suppress those feelings.

I have also seen many a true crime show where people said their first reaction to a missing loved one being found, dead or alive, was shock and/or numbness. Sometimes information like that takes a few minutes to be fully absorbed, and sometimes people are so overwhelmed at that moment that they can't react with anything but shock or confusion. I have also seen people I know personally who respond to extreme emotion circumstances differently than I would or differently than I would expect from them. People express emotions in multitude of ways. I don't think it is fair to have an expected response from a person, and then judge them when they don't react how we expect they should or the way we personally would. In later interviews, he was seen becoming emotional or crying/breaking down, and people assumed that those emotions weren't "correct" or were false – it seems like no matter how he acts, someone is critical of it. Again, JMHO; I could be wrong.

I am very interested in the events surrounding the stepmother, the initial disappearance, more details about what happened before/during/after those first calls to police. I know reports from earlier mentioned Charlie went to the bathroom and disappeared from there, or something like that; was there a window in the bathroom he could have snuck out of? How long was he unsupervised or away from his stepmom before she realized he was gone? Etc., etc., etc. Also, this just sort of hit me now, but in divorce situations, aren't mothers usually given primary custody, given they are stable and able to care for their children? Was there a reason Charlie's father had custody instead of his biological mother, or was it just worked out that way because it was what was best/easiest for the family? I am starting to think WAY too into this...

Hopefully we get some answers soon. If you are right about the father being involved and manipulating this situation, then I do hope LE slap the cuffs on him and Charlie is given to family members who truly love and care for him, and will see that justice is carried out for him.

I hear what you're saying, Bear. I truly do. With what has come out in the last few hours, I don't think this father deserves any of my compassion or understanding. Something was off from the beginning.

Whether wrong or right, I'm thankful that the step mother was protecting Charlie (assuming the most recent story true). She may not have felt able to expose abuse at the present time (due to fear?), but she was hiding and feeding the child to keep him safe. Praying for the little guy that he gets the help he needs and is able to lead a happy and safe life going forward.

This is what puzzles me the most: why report him missing if dad (maybe stepmom) was willingly hiding him? Did Charlie sneak out in the tunnels and they couldn't find him? Did they think reporting him missing would lead more credence to injury from an abductor than from his parents? This makes no darn sense.

Well the biomom would probably have asked questions I think so they had to.

Fox 2 has learned the father is expected to face child abuse charges in the next couple of days. Fox 2's Taryn Asher reports a warrant will be handed over to the prosecutor. Charlie's stepmother could also face a few charges.

Meanwhile, 12-year-old Charlie was treated at Children's Hospital and released. He is said to be in good physical health. He spent the night in teh hospital with his biological mother.

http://www.myfoxdetroit.com/story/2...ges-after-missing-boy-found-alive-in-basement

Charlie V was last seen June 14. His stepmother told police the boy didn't complete his daily exercise routine and she informed his father. Worried how his father would react, Charlie took off and never came back.

There was several searches for the boy, but there may be a reason Charlie did not want to be found. Police are investigating a serious case of child abuse we're told the father considered discipline.

The boy, who was home schooled and on a strict exercise routine, was often beat with a PVC pipe that has now been taken in as evidence.

In fact, sources say blood was found in the boy's room and on some of his clothes. That's why police widened the scope of the investigation and, at first, wouldn't rule homicide out.

Wow; I didn't see that until now – thank you to whomever above shared the link to that article. This definitely changes things for me. Perhaps the stepmother has also been abused; after Charlie ran away or hid from an expected punishment, he returned and she assisted him and/or tried to keep him safe until she thought of some way to help him. Maybe she staged the scene in the basement to keep Charlie safe from his father or to make it so LE got to Charlie before his father did. Perhaps she refused to take a polygraph because she knew she would fail; not because she had hurt Charlie, but because she was trying to help him stay hidden from his father or keep him "safe" the best way she knew how.

Or, worst of all outcomes in my mind, she worked in tandem with the father in abusing Charlie, and LE spoiled their "plans" for Charlie. I really, really hope that is not the case. I REALLY hope this is all a misunderstanding but knowing what I know now, I am finding it harder and harder to believe there wasn't some element of foul play here. I hope Charlie is safe now; and I really hope the truth is uncovered so these people can be punished for what they allegedly did to him. There is no lower scum IMO than someone who hurts a child, especially if that someone is family.

There are still a lot of questions I have, though: if his dad is abusive, then why does he have custody? Was his biological mother abusive as well, or was she a victim? Or did she not know at all? Was the stepmother abusing Charlie along with the father, or was she a victim too? Was all this an attempt for them to escape from the father and his home? Or was this part of some larger, darker plot that the abusers were planning? This whole case just gets stranger and more awful with each new thing we learn.

Also, I will accept my slice of humble pie and admit I was wrong in my initial reaction. To be fair, abusers are masters of manipulation, and frequently know exactly how to exploit those around them, pulling the puppet strings of everyone in order to maintain their absolute control. If all the allegations of abuse are true: throw the abusers into prison and toss away the key. No child deserves to be hurt emotionally, physically, or any other way by adults, ESPECIALLY ones they are supposed to trust and be cared for by! >:(

Really, really hoping that Charlie is kept safe now and will be taken care of by people who know how to love and nurture they way he deserves to be.

I get what you are saying, Bear. That's why I posted that for me, personally, how I would react. People do express feeling differently. I just imagine that there would be a lot of pinned up emotions, and that at some point after hearing the news, although some may have the stoicism to wait until off the air (which was awful, in my opinion) at some point fairly quickly after hearing the news, I would expect a catharsis of sorts. A breaking open of the floodgates. Humans can only handle so much. When we don't see that, it could be because they are holding it together until alone, or it could be that there are less stacked up emotions.... All my opinion of course :)
So glad he is ok and will have lots of people looking out for his best interests! Yay Charlie!

His phone is not going to charge in the car unless its running. IMO

Thats not true. I have two spots in my console to charge things. One only works while the car is running the other one works even if the car is off.

If stepmom was protecting Charlie, then that's prob the reason she wouldn't submit to a polygraph. Also cadaver dogs won't alert on a living child. Just so thankful that Charlie is alive. Too often we discover the opposite

No need to apologize, Bear. You've brought some wonderful ideas to the conversation. I've always said, this would be a pretty boring site if everyone always agreed. :grouphug:

Very interesting case. Brought me out of hiding! lol Hi ya'll :seeya: long time.....

Anyway, after reading and catching up - here's my thoughts. Charlie was only reported missing AFTER biomom tried to contact him and dad had to tell her - she prob said "If you don't call the police I will" type of thing.

Stepmom cracked. She might have been talking to LE for a while now. Either way dad was outta the house for NG - so that was the perfect time to "find him" and LE played it beatifully! Even got dad on tape with NG.

Sux to be him.

But IMHO this was never a missing child case - more of an abused child case. Very glad Charlie is ok and biomom is in the picture. He's going to need lots of love and understanding to get over this.

Knowing what we know now -- watch this again.

Dad on NG
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3AyyKJ18y0g

Wow! My goodness! I don't know what to think now! I didn't think the father was hiding Charlie. I thought he seemed to be doing everything that we say a parent of a missing child is supposed to do... looking for the child, talking to LE and the media, not believing the child is not going to come home or dead. I have always heard that an innocent parent won't give up the idea of the child being o.k. and eventually coming home! Then, to me, he came across as a hard-working dad who was trying to teach his son to "be somebody" in the midst of an urban environment where so many boys go into crime or worse. Yes, maybe a lot of pressure on the child but good intentions on the part of the father.

But now... ugh! It looks here as if he was petrified that Charlie was found!! Maybe he did not make Charlie "missing" but it seems to me he wanted something hidden. Maybe injuries or maybe Charlie's story. Poor Charlie!!

Like bearfossils, I will also admit having a wrong idea of what happened if the father does end up being guilty. I realize that everyone should be taken into consideration when looking for a perp but there's always more to the story than what's reported via news outlets. I want to believe that when a parent calls 911 about a missing child that they're not trying to cover their own tracks.

At least we've learned that Charlie is healthy and safe with his mother. That's what matters to me.

This is what puzzles me the most: why report him missing if dad (maybe stepmom) was willingly hiding him? Did Charlie sneak out in the tunnels and they couldn't find him? Did they think reporting him missing would lead more credence to injury from an abductor than from his parents? This makes no darn sense.

I think that it's as simple as that Mom and Dad needed to hide the injury and they had to make an excuse for why he was not available like maybe his mom wanted to see him and they couldn't let that happen

I am extremely grateful that Charliewas not killed to hide the abuse we've had several of those cases over the years

http://www.myfoxdetroit.com/story/2...ges-after-missing-boy-found-alive-in-basement

In the basement where Charlie was found, a tunnel leads from apartment to apartment and to the outside.

Is anybody familiar with such a setup? I've lived in several apartments, never heard of a tunnel "leading from apartment to apartment". According to the article, they live in a townhouse...does the tunnel connect to other townhouses? Doesn't sound safe to me, in fact it sounds downright creepy, imo! Having trouble wrapping my head around the tunnel. :confused:

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Clm79
Back