MI MI - Cindy Moore, 28, Troy, 23 May 1985

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
I lived in Troy for 19 years (mid-70s to mid-90s) and don't recall having heard or read about this missing woman.

Same here. Grew up in Troy: 1972-1984, moved back in 2006 and am still there/here. I have never heard of this disappearance.

Just saw a tweet from that podcast, 2 months and nothing on her FOIA request. :notgood:

I don't know much about FOIA requests. Aren't they legally required to reply in a certain amount of time? Is there any way to elevate the request?

They've emailed her back saying "equipment issues"

I think the equipment might wear a uniform and can't find the file :(
You may be right. Have you heard any more during the past month?

GOOD NEWS. I talked with the OCSD officer who entered her in to NAMUS. Her case, while quiet, is not forgotten.

I sort of wish they would ask the public for help. Someone involved in Cindy's disappearance might have blabbed at some point, and news coverage might bring a reluctant witness out of the woodwork.

I have always wondered about how Cindy's car ended up at the Abbey Theater. It would have been difficult (though not necessarily impossible) for her abductor to have gotten it there without help unless Cindy had been abducted close to that location. I do not think it likely that she was abducted there, so I think there's a good chance that her abductor had help, at least after the fact.

I sort of wish they would ask the public for help. Someone involved in Cindy's disappearance might have blabbed at some point, and news coverage might bring a reluctant witness out of the woodwork.

I have always wondered about how Cindy's car ended up at the Abbey Theater. It would have been difficult (though not necessarily impossible) for her abductor to have gotten it there without help unless Cindy had been abducted close to that location. I do not think it likely that she was abducted there, so I think there's a good chance that her abductor had help, at least after the fact.
A couple of years after her car was located at the Abbey 4, I worked weekend nights at a motel up the street. It was a relatively busy little area, surrounded by restaraunts and apartments, with a large shopping mall directly across 14 Mile Road, and not known as particularly dangerous.

The idea that she parked at the theater herself is based mainly on the fact that the last person to see her alive saw her driving nearby on her way home from work.

It never got much local media coverage, although this was back before 24-hour cable and tabloid TV. Also, suburban Detroit crime very seldom got any national media attention.

As has been mentioned, it would be great if there were more photos of her.

A couple of years after her car was located at the Abbey 4, I worked weekend nights at a motel up the street. It was a relatively busy little area, surrounded by restaraunts and apartments, with a large shopping mall directly across 14 Mile Road, and not known as particularly dangerous.

The idea that she parked at the theater herself is based mainly on the fact that the last person to see her alive saw her driving nearby on her way home from work.

It never got much local media coverage, although this was back before 24-hour cable and tabloid TV. Also, suburban Detroit crime very seldom got any national media attention.

As has been mentioned, it would be great if there were more photos of her.

Unfortunately we don't know when the car was left there. It wasn't found right away, so it may have been moved there after word got around that a co-worker had seen Cindy driving in that area. It may well have been somewhere else for a couple of days.

Cindy's friend Rick once commented that he thought Cindy had been kept alive for a period of time after her disappearance. Rick died of cancer before I got the chance to discuss the case with him, so I don't know whether he had any evidence for that or whether it was just a hunch.

I would love to talk to Rick, shame.

Cindy's parents are alive and still looking. Cindy's son is in his mid 30's, she vanished just before he turned 3.

Someone sent me a message about Cindy. I placed a call to the Oakland County Sheriff today, we've spoken about her case previously, hoping he has some news.

I can tell you that Cindy's mother is still alive and follows up with the Sheriff every few months about her case. :heartbeat:

I assume from various records that this is Cindy Louise Moore (nee Hicks) who was married to William Truman Moore (b1950), as said records list a Clarkston address for Mr Moore in 1985 and a dob for Cindy in 1957 (which would be correct). Can anyone confirm this is right?

I assume from various records that this is Cindy Louise Moore (nee Hicks) who was married to William Truman Moore (b1950), as said records list a Clarkston address for Mr Moore in 1985 and a dob for Cindy in 1957 (which would be correct). Can anyone confirm this is right?
That is her; I can't confirm all of the details you mentioned, though. For instance, I thought the newspaper article said that her husband lived in Warren; I thought Clarkston was the location of her parents' house, where she was living at the time of her disappearance.

Cindy lived with her parents in Clarkston at the time of her disappearance. She'd recently purchased a mobile home to live in with her toddler son, but hadn't taken possession yet.

My understanding from speaking with coworkers of Cindy is that she and her husband had a home near Mound Rd in Warren. He remained in the home after they separated, Cindy moved back home with her parents.

At one point I heard (but cannot confirm) that the husband worked at Ford's Sterling Axle Plant; a house near Mound Road would make sense.
Side note about the Sterling Axle Plant: Apparently William Clay Ford made a point of hiring ex-convicts in order to give them a second chance, so there were apparently a lot of very rough characters working at that plant. (I once heard about an employee getting his nose cut off because of a dispute over a parking space.)

I found a listing for an unidentified woman on the NAMUS site that did not come up during my initial search for Michigan decedents, despite fitting into the time frame of Cindy Moore's disappearance. Cindy has not been eliminated as being this decedent. My notes:

· NamUs entry for Cindy Moore (MP # 30894) https://www.findthemissing.org/en/cases/case_report_html/30894

· NamUs entry for the Unidentified White Female found 10/12/88 (UP #6653, hereinafter referred to as “Jane Doe”) https://identifyus.org/cases/full_report/6653

· Covert Township, Michigan (Van Buren County) is about a 188-mile drive from where Cindy Moore's car was found--mostly a straight shot across the state on I-94. The remains were found "adjacent to I-196" by a hunter.

· This unidentified woman was found on 10/12/88, 1,238 days (3 years, 4 months, 19 days) after Cindy Moore was last seen on 5/23/85. Probable year of death is estimated as 1985 to 1988.

· Jane Doe's remains were skeletal, and found without any clothing.

· Jane Doe's weight could not be determined.. Her height is estimated at five feet tall (60"). Cindy Moore is listed as 5'7" (67") tall and 115 lbs.

· Jane Doe's hair is listed as light brown to blond, long and possibly wavy. Cindy Moore's hair is described as brown.

· No dental remains are available, but a DNA sample has been submitted.

· Cindy Moore has NOT been ruled out as being this decedent. However, this particular Jane Doe did not pop up for me on NAMUS during my initial search for females found in Michigan during this timeframe--I found her via her Doe Network listing.

· What strikes me as much as anything is the reconstruction of her face--similar enough to Cindy's photo to where I was surprised that she had not yet been ruled out as being this Jane Doe.

· Doe Network entry (Case File 730UFMI) http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/730ufmi.html
attachment.php

Attachments

• CM-JD.jpg
    CM-JD.jpg
    57.8 KB · Views: 72
I found a listing for an unidentified woman on the NAMUS site that did not come up during my initial search for Michigan decedents, despite fitting into the time frame of Cindy Moore's disappearance. Cindy has not been eliminated as being this decedent. My notes:

· NamUs entry for Cindy Moore (MP # 30894) https://www.findthemissing.org/en/cases/case_report_html/30894

· NamUs entry for the Unidentified White Female found 10/12/88 (UP #6653, hereinafter referred to as “Jane Doe”) https://identifyus.org/cases/full_report/6653

· Covert Township, Michigan (Van Buren County) is about a 188-mile drive from where Cindy Moore's car was found--mostly a straight shot across the state on I-94. The remains were found "adjacent to I-196" by a hunter.

· This unidentified woman was found on 10/12/88, 1,238 days (3 years, 4 months, 19 days) after Cindy Moore was last seen on 5/23/85. Probable year of death is estimated as 1985 to 1988.

· Jane Doe's remains were skeletal, and found without any clothing.

· Jane Doe's weight could not be determined.. Her height is estimated at five feet tall (60"). Cindy Moore is listed as 5'7" (67") tall and 115 lbs.

· Jane Doe's hair is listed as light brown to blond, long and possibly wavy. Cindy Moore's hair is described as brown.

· No dental remains are available, but a DNA sample has been submitted.

· Cindy Moore has NOT been ruled out as being this decedent. However, this particular Jane Doe did not pop up for me on NAMUS during my initial search for females found in Michigan during this timeframe--I found her via her Doe Network listing.

· What strikes me as much as anything is the reconstruction of her face--similar enough to Cindy's photo to where I was surprised that she had not yet been ruled out as being this Jane Doe.

· Doe Network entry (Case File 730UFMI) http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/730ufmi.html
attachment.php

She could be an automatic rule out since they both have DNA available, but I would submit it, just to be sure (if you haven't already).

I sent an e-mail to Lori Bruski with NamUs, as hers was the only e-mail listed with either case. Not sure what else to do on the holiday. I got a robo-reply stating that her office was closed through January 1.

If Cindy were an automatic rule-out, wouldn't she be listed on the unidentified Jane Doe's page as having been eliminated?

She could be an automatic rule out since they both have DNA available, but I would submit it, just to be sure (if you haven't already).
The resemblance is striking, IMO. Definitely worth a look! I have seen the reconstruction come up again and again on our " Missing in Michigan " page. Great catch!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GibsonGirl
Back