MI MI - Cindy Moore, 28, Troy, 23 May 1985

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
It has now been 35 years since Cindy disappeared. I think the last time I visited the Abbey Theater (where Cindy's car was found) was in 1999, when I saw Stir of Echoes, which, ironically, was about a missing girl! Cindy had already been missing for 14 years then, which seemed like a long time—and now it's been 2 1/2 times that long. It's difficult to fathom, really.

One thing that bugs me slightly about this case is Cindy's route the night that she disappeared. Cindy worked at the USPS Sectional Center at 2351 Bellingham in Troy, near 15 Mile and John R.

Her husband apparently lived on Mound Road near 10 Mile in Warren. Mound Road is east of John R,, and the entrance to 1-75 is southwest of Cindy's work location. If I were to drive from Cindy's work to the estranged husband's house, my first thought would be to take 15 Mile east to Mound Road. Today I could take I-75 to I-696, which would be a longer but possibly faster route. However, I-696 did not exist in 1985—it didn't open for traffic until late 1989—and the speed limit on I-75 would have only been 55 mph back then. (Even today Google Maps doesn't suggest that route.)

In her podcast, Nina suggests that perhaps Cindy intended to meet her husband in front of the Abbey theater for a hand off of her infant son; that would make perfect sense. Cindy may have intended to get Nicholas and then hop onto I-75 north towards her parents' house in Clarkston. If Cindy called her husband at 10:00, it may have been to arrange the pick up, not to say that she was running late.

Another suggestion from Nina is that Cindy may have intended to meet someone who lived in the apartment complex adjacent to the Abbey Theater; I suppose that's possible as well.

Cindy Louise Moore
cindy_louise_moore_1.jpg

Moore, circa 1985
  • Missing Since 05/23/1985
  • Missing From Troy, Michigan
  • Classification Endangered Missing
  • Sex Female
  • Race White
  • Age 28 years old
  • Height and Weight 5'7, 115 pounds
  • Associated Vehicle(s) Silver and black 1984 Ford Tempo (accounted for)
  • Distinguishing Characteristics Caucasian female. Brown hair, green eyes.
Details of Disappearance

Moore was last seen after she left the post office where she worked in Troy, Michigan at 11:00 p.m. on May 23, 1985. She was supposed to arrive at her estranged husband's home to pick up their two-year-old son.

A coworker saw her driving her silver and black 1984 Ford Tempo near the intersection of 14 Mile Road and Interstate 75 at 11:15 p.m. that night. She never arrived to get her son and has never been heard from again.

A week after Moore's disappearance, her car was found abandoned in the parking lot of the Abbey Theater at Interstate 75 and 14 Mile Road. Authorities determined it had been at that location since the day after she was last seen. It was locked, the keys were missing and there was no evidence of a struggle.

Moore was living with her parents at the time of her disappearance, but she had made a down payment on a mobile home in Auburn Hills, Michigan and planned to move there with her son. She left behind all her clothes, and since her disappearance her bank account hasn't been touched.

Her husband was considered a suspect in her disappearance; Moore had claimed he had previously assaulted during arguments and had once grabbed her by the throat. He covered over his swimming pool shortly after Moore disappeared, and in 1992 police dug up his pool and backyard in search of her body. The search turned up nothing.

Foul play is suspected in Moore's case, which remains unsolved.

Investigating Agency
  • Oakland County Sheriff's Office 248-858-4950
Source Information

As soon as I read that it seemed quite alarming.
One thing I can't get past is the fact that WM had his pool filled in not long after Cindy's disappearance.

I don't know whether Cindy made it to her estranged husband's house and was killed there (in which case the car must have been staged) or a hand off of Nicholas did occur in the Abbey parking lot and domestic violence ensued. (Perhaps WM was angry about having to deliver Nicholas instead of having him picked up.)

Either way, if you have an in-ground pool in your yard, then you already have a hole that's eight feet deep. It would be difficult to dig a sixteen foot hole, but if you take a sledgehammer and break a hole in the bottom of your pool, then it might not be that hard to dig down another eight feet. Then you end up with a hole that's sixteen feet below ground level.

Even though LE dug up WM's backyard several times, I'll bet that they didn't think to look underneath the pool.

This is just a guess, but if someone held my feet to an open fire and forced me take a guess as to where Cindy is, I would say that she's buried in WM's backyard, about 16 feet deep, below the bottom of the old swimming pool.

It's possible that WM wasn't involved, and it's possible that he paid one of the ex-cons at Sterling Axle to get rid of Cindy for him—there were plenty of guys there who would have done it for a hundred bucks—but domestic violence (pre-planned or otherwise) seems like the most likely explanation for Cindy's disappearance.

I hope I live to see the case solved and to see Cindy's remains recovered.

I have been wondering whether Cindy's two-year-old son Nicholas could have witnessed Cindy's murder. Maybe hypnosis regression therapy could help him remember something.

TROY, Mich. – The Oakland County Sheriff’s Office is asking for the public’s help in the case of a Troy woman who disappeared nearly 40 years ago.

According to authorities, Cindy Louise Moore was last seen at about 11 p.m. May 23, 1985 when she left work in the Clarkston area. A coworker said she saw her driving her silver Ford Tempo near the intersection of 14 Mile Road and I-75.

The Sheriff’s Office said Moore was headed to Warren, where her estranged husband William Moore lived, to pick up their 2-year-old son. She was reportedly going to take their son to Independence Township, where she was staying with her parents. Moore never arrived in Warren and hasn’t been seen since.

She was 28 years old at the time...

May 23 '24 rbbm
1716468078245.png
''Murder is suspected, but Moore’s case is officially classified as “Endangered Missing.” She was last seen by a coworker, who saw Moore driving her silver 1984 Ford Tempo near the intersection of 14 Mile Road and I-75. That was roughly 15 minutes after Moore left work on that spring night in 1985, when a hit song on the radio was "Don't You Forget About Me" by the Scottish band Simple Minds.

Exactly a week after Moore went missing, her car was found on May 30, 1985, backed into a parking space in front of room number 153 of the Red Roof Inn, at 14 Mile Road and John R in Madison Heights. Police determined that the car had been there since the day after she was last seen. The car was locked, the keys were missing, and there was no evidence of a struggle.''
''The car's location initially was reported as being at a nearby movie theater. That incorrect location was reported in some news stories at the time, and it has been cited through the years in online comments about the case. That incorrect location also appears in the online registry for missing persons called the Charley Project''.

The difference in the car being at a movie theater versus at a hotel changes things A LOT, imo. Now it feels much more like it was obviously staged there.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Clue Keeper
Back