GUILTY MI - Connor Verkerke, 9, dies in playground stabbing, Kentwood, 4 Aug 2014

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
For whom do you think it's harder to try to have understanding and some compassion, you or the family of this beautiful little boy who was stabbed to death?

Without a doubt Connor's family. I just have to concede that they are better people than me. I cannot force my mind or heart to feel what it doesn't. But, I tried. I've read every article I could find on Jamarion and what he suffered at the hands of his family and it's awful. As awful as the hundreds of cases of child abuse victims that I have cried for on this very forum. But the fact that he killed someone as loving and kind as Connor, just did something to me.

I've openly posted about my struggle in the beginning of this thread. Just trying to keep it real with everyone, even at the risk of being judged. Maybe one day I'll evolve, maybe not. But I will never stop trying to understand.

It's true that many children are abused horribly and do not go out and kill. But enough of them do, that it's a real concern - you only need to examine the background of the majority of serial killers to see the pattern, there. We cannot know what hell, exactly, Jamirion was put through to make him feel so desperate that he believed killing an innocent bystander was his 'way out' of it all but as someone who lived through a violent, abusive childhood I can tell you it is *devastating* beyond belief to have time away from the abuse, only to be put right back in it again, and you're powerless, utterly powerless, to do anything about it, let alone make anyone listen to you. It is a kind of pain that is very hard to let go of, even more so than any memory of physical abuse.. because bodily pain passes, but that sense of being crushed as a person never leaves you entirely.

I was one of those children who did not kill. But I did put myself in an unbelievably scary situation (though to me at the time, it didn't seem so), in my bid to leave my family home for my own safety and sanity. I chose to leave my home and never set foot in it again - the authorities, when they finally caught me, were told very clearly what lengths I would go to, were I forced to return to that horrendous situation -- again.

I was lucky, in that I had a relatively sane family member to take me in. I can't say what I may have done, if they'd made me go home again. Probably something desperate.

It's very possible for abusive parents (and the various factions which enable their abuse) to drive a perfectly sane kid insane, that way. I have NO trouble seeing how that can happen, at all.

I must also add -- it makes me sick, the way his mother pimped out the idea that Jamirion was reacting to schoolyard bullying, all over the media... NOT for her son's sake, but to cover her own sorry, abusive *advertiser censored*.

I truly wish SHE could be charged with some responsibility. I hope at the least she's never allowed access to any more kids..

Thanks for sharing, Ausgirl :blowkiss: I'm glad you made it through such a dangerous time in your life.

Without a doubt Connor's family. I just have to concede that they are better people than me. I cannot force my mind or heart to feel what it doesn't. But, I tried. I've read every article I could find on Jamarion and what he suffered at the hands of his family and it's awful. As awful as the hundreds of cases of child abuse victims that I have cried for on this very forum. But the fact that he killed someone as loving and kind as Connor, just did something to me.

I've openly posted about my struggle in the beginning of this thread. Just trying to keep it real with everyone, even at the risk of being judged. Maybe one day I'll evolve, maybe not. But I will never stop trying to understand.

Well you know what? I really appreciate your honesty. And you seem very self aware. All of us should try to be as honest. Kudos, Lovejac.

It's true that many children are abused horribly and do not go out and kill. But enough of them do, that it's a real concern - you only need to examine the background of the majority of serial killers to see the pattern, there. We cannot know what hell, exactly, Jamirion was put through to make him feel so desperate that he believed killing an innocent bystander was his 'way out' of it all but as someone who lived through a violent, abusive childhood I can tell you it is *devastating* beyond belief to have time away from the abuse, only to be put right back in it again, and you're powerless, utterly powerless, to do anything about it, let alone make anyone listen to you. It is a kind of pain that is very hard to let go of, even more so than any memory of physical abuse.. because bodily pain passes, but that sense of being crushed as a person never leaves you entirely.

I was one of those children who did not kill. But I did put myself in an unbelievably scary situation (though to me at the time, it didn't seem so), in my bid to leave my family home for my own safety and sanity. I chose to leave my home and never set foot in it again - the authorities, when they finally caught me, were told very clearly what lengths I would go to, were I forced to return to that horrendous situation -- again.

I was lucky, in that I had a relatively sane family member to take me in. I can't say what I may have done, if they'd made me go home again. Probably something desperate.

It's very possible for abusive parents (and the various factions which enable their abuse) to drive a perfectly sane kid insane, that way. I have NO trouble seeing how that can happen, at all.

Wow, Ausgirl. Powerful.

http://www.mlive.com/news/grand-rapids/index.ssf/2014/10/jamarion_working.html

Newly-released court documents are shedding light on what happened in the moments before 9-year-old Connor Verkerke was fatally stabbed by another child on a playground in August.

They show Connor allegedly was attacked by a 12-year-old after the younger boy fell off a slide. Detectives have said there did not appear to be any confrontation or argument between Jamarion Lawhorn, 12, and Connor before the Aug. 4 assault...

"Jamarion stated that he approached Connor from his rear," the detective said, according to court documents. "While (Connor) was on the ground, Jamarion took out a knife and stabbed Connor multiple times; including at least once in the back and once in the arm."

http://www.mlive.com/news/grand-rapids/index.ssf/2014/12/changes_to_be_made_after_kent.html

The Kent County Department of Human Services failed to comply with state policies and procedures when handling the case involving a Kentwood boy who was later accused of a fatally stabbing another child on a playground. Changes will be made to put a second set of eyes on investigations and add more accountability, according to a state oversight agency...

Court filing showed DHS workers in 2013 "substantiated" physical abuse of Jamarion — at the hands of his mother, Anita Lawhorn, and stepfather, Bernard Harrold. Still, he and three siblings remained in their care.

Anita Lawhorn had voluntarily terminated her parental rights to two other children years earlier, in 1996, amid allegations of severe physical abuse. Because of those previous terminations, state Child Protection Law requires DHS caseworkers who find a risk of harm to a child of the same parent to submit a petition for termination proceedings. Kent County DHS workers wrongly failed to submit that petition, the ombudsman's office says, in the report issued this week.

^ I have LIVED this. Aside from the murder, this was how I grew up. I am so, so glad that social services are being held accountable for their mistakes. As they damn well should be.

Now, if we can only see Jamirion's *despicable* parents put away for life. Likely won't happen, but they as surely killed Connor as if they weilded that knife themselves.

Jamirion may be too damaged to ever be a safe member of society. I truly hope not. The miserable thing is, he's unlikely to ever learn anything good from being in the corrections system.

This case never fails to upset me, quite deeply.

http://www.mlive.com/news/grand-rapids/index.ssf/2015/03/mother_of_12-year-old_murder_s.html

The mother of a 12-year-old boy accused of killing another child now is saying it was the young suspect's stepfather who abused him nearly a year before the slaying of a 9-year-old on a Kentwood playground...

Anita Lawhorn wants a trial separate from Harrold's because her defense will be "antagonistic against Mr. Harrold." Both are currently scheduled for trial on March 23... Lawhorn faces a maximum of two years in prison, if convicted as charged of second- and third-degree child abuse. Harrold faces a maximum of three years in prison if convicted, because of his previous criminal record...

In the meantime, the former couple is also seeking to regain custody of their 14-year-old son and two daughters, ages 2 and 7, who were taken from the home by Children's Protective Services investigators who found "deplorable conditions" there.

In the meantime, the former couple is also seeking to regain custody of their 14-year-old son and two daughters, ages 2 and 7, who were taken from the home by Children's Protective Services investigators who found "deplorable conditions" there.

Ummmm, I'm gonna vote a big fat NO on this one. NEVER should these children be back in these parents hands. And while I'm at it...mandatory sterilization wouldn't hurt. Jesus, Mary, and Joseph...NO WAY. :facepalm:

From last month:

http://woodtv.com/2015/07/31/jamarion-lawhorns-stepdad-pleads-guilty-to-child-abuse/

Bernard Harrold pleaded guilty to third-degree child abuse Thursday afternoon in a Kent County courtroom. In exchange, other charges against him will be dismissed...

[Anita Lawhorn's] child abuse trial is scheduled for September, just before Harrold is expected to be sentenced.

Jamarion is the youngest person ever charged with murder in Kent County. In May, a judge ruled he is competent to stand trial, which has been scheduled for late August.

When you have a child that has lived with sustained abuse, and they set their mother's bed on fire at 9, and she is aware he is being bullied and abused, and then this child, who has been acting out for years to get someone to listen to him, goes and murders another child the family background needs to be explored.

This 12 year old has done something unforgivable, he knows right from wrong, but he's gone ignored for 12 years while people who should be on his side have watched others wrong him. So he ends up thinking "no-one's interested in me" and so this act of violence is a way to get attention. The most wrong, horrific way, but to the 12 year old he's at the end of his rope.

I'm not excusing his actions, but like the James Bulger case in the UK, when you look at the murderers' backgrounds and the abuse they suffered them you can see that the problem isn't just the child, it goes far deeper.

When you have a child that has lived with sustained abuse, and they set their mother's bed on fire at 9, and she is aware he is being bullied and abused, and then this child, who has been acting out for years to get someone to listen to him, goes and murders another child the family background needs to be explored.

This 12 year old has done something unforgivable, he knows right from wrong, but he's gone ignored for 12 years while people who should be on his side have watched others wrong him. So he ends up thinking "no-one's interested in me" and so this act of violence is a way to get attention. The most wrong, horrific way, but to the 12 year old he's at the end of his rope.

I'm not excusing his actions, but like the James Bulger case in the UK, when you look at the murderers' backgrounds and the abuse they suffered them you can see that the problem isn't just the child, it goes far deeper.

I hear you. This is one of those no win situations. :(

Jury selection to start in murder trial of boy, 13

Associated Press 7:20 a.m. EDT August 31, 2015

Grand Rapids — Jury selection is scheduled to start in western Michigan in the trial of a 13-year-old boy accused of killing a 9-year-old boy at a playground.

The boy, who was 12 at the time, is charged with fatally stabbing Michael Verkerke a year ago in Kentwood, near Grand Rapids. His trial starts Monday in Kent County court...

http://www.detroitnews.com/story/ne...ry-selection-start-murder-trial-boy/71447340/

http://www.clickondetroit.com/news/jury-selection-to-start-in-murder-trial-of-13yearold-boy/35011890

quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by Supernovae

I disagree with the concept of trying children as adults full stop . Whatever they may have done they're not adults, on point of fact, and should be treated correspondingly in whatever the appropriate way is for a child or young person who may well have committed a heinous crime. Particularly very young children who have committed extremely violent crime tend to be more psychologically underdeveloped compared to normal children, not less.

I think murdering someone by stabbing them in the back...with intent...requires far more than a "time out"

I agree with both posts -- If this were a 17 year-old, I would view things differently. Twelve years old is very young. The problem I have seen with young youths being tried as children is that what we usually see is the youth being set free when s/he is eighteen -- and in a lot of cases, I don't think that is enuff for many youths to really be adult enuff to stay out of trouble. I also wonder what the criteria is for deciding that the 18-year-old who has been tried as a child for murder or rape, etc. And what kind of preparation and guidance do they receive while they are in juvenile prison, and where do they go when they walk out of prison? Parents? Group home? College? Employment? Continued therapy/counseling, etc.? Maybe someone here knows how it works.

I would like to see this whole thing -- children tried as children or as adults and how to handle when they reach majority -- really looked at closely. Maybe it is/has been. And certainly it must vary to some degree in each state. And we seem to be seeing more youths committing murders and rapes --but maybe I'm wrong on that.

I see this as a big problem for society and the individual being released.

Me either.

But I love blended sentencing, especially if it includes intensive "treatment" by qualified professionals. If the child is still deemed a danger he/she can be moved over to adult prison
Society needs to be protected, the kid gets a shot a rehabilitation and if that's not successful...further incarceration.

Win-win IMO

Yes, yes, and yes.

They really can be sociopaths, I agree. But I think the vast majority of kids who kill are suffering other issues which might resolve once they're removed from whatever environment caused them to want to lash out at another human being violently, and are responding to treatment. And there's just no way of knowing which they are, or how likely they may be to reoffend, without extensive observation while they're doing appropriate time for their actions.

But yes, then there's people like Ed Kemper - killed both his grandparents with a shotgun as a teen, was charged as a juvenile and released as a young adult -- and the rest is sickening history.

Kemper -- the stuff of nightmares. <shiver> He and his horribleness (my word, I think) did happen a while back. Surely, Shirley, we are more advanced with therapy, meds, testing, counseling, etc., etc., now. Hope so. Yep, they let that one out a bit early. And he and his 140 IQ eluded LE until he called 'em & said come get me. Were there no signs that he was not ready to walk on the sidewalks again? None?

Yeah, you look at a youth like Jamarion or any young killers/rapists and wonder, "Is he another Kemper?" (or Bundy or Dahmer, or, or, or). Again, surely we have gotten better at therapy and at diagnosis. I hope, I hope. SMH.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
world1971
Back