GUILTY MI - Connor Verkerke, 9, dies in playground stabbing, Kentwood, 4 Aug 2014

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
I can't help but think back to the awful incident that took place back in 1993 involving red-haired, freckled Eric M. Smith, 13. (I'm sure many here will remember it.) He enticed Derrick Robie, 4, into the woods, strangled him, dropped stones on his head, and sodomized him with a stick. At some time, Eric was diagnosed with "intermittent explosive disorder," a mental disorder causing individuals to act out violently and unpredictably. He went to trial (I couldn't find a reference to being charged as an adult or a child) and was found guilty and given a 9-years-to-life sentence. He was denied parole in 2014, and is eligible again in 2016.

A couple of articles about Eric and about juveniles who commit murders:

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/why-did-eric-kill-10-12-2004/

https://krazykillers.wordpress.com/2012/06/16/growing-up-in-prison-the-eric-smith-story/

http://www.democratandchronicle.com...smith-calls-crime-horrendous-violent/7816421/

I can't help but think back to the awful incident that took place back in 1993 involving red-haired, freckled Eric M. Smith, 13. (I'm sure many here will remember it.) He enticed Derrick Robie, 4, into the woods, strangled him, dropped stones on his head, and sodomized him with a stick. At some time, Eric was diagnosed with "intermittent explosive disorder," a mental disorder causing individuals to act out violently and unpredictably. He went to trial (I couldn't find a reference to being charged as an adult or a child) and was found guilty and given a 9-years-to-life sentence. He was denied parole in 2014, and is eligible again in 2016.

A couple of articles about Eric and about juveniles who commit murders:

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/why-did-eric-kill-10-12-2004/

https://krazykillers.wordpress.com/2012/06/16/growing-up-in-prison-the-eric-smith-story/

http://www.democratandchronicle.com...smith-calls-crime-horrendous-violent/7816421/

That was so sad. My sister and I had a conversation about child killers--her position treat them according to age. I disagreed because I feel depends on crime and the child. My feeling also is some things you can attribute to mental illness,but also feel there are truly evil horrid people--and I don't think evil can be cured.

So, another big surprise [sarcasm intended] -- this boy was abused by his mom and his stepdad. That's a tuff way to grow up -- it certainly does NOT excuse the violence he inflicted on his victim, but it certainly could be an episode of conflict and rage that he put upon the younger boy. As a child, it is so difficult sometimes to seemingly not be in control of anything in one's life, and it is very hard when both parents are dishing out hurt. Please know that I am not trying to mitigate anything this young man did -- he showed no mercy, and he essentially did what had been done to him in his own way. I am just trying to think through it and understand it. And IMO, unless this young man has effective therapy, he may very well do it again. It must be hard to get up in the morning -- every morning -- and be afraid that it may be a bad day.

Many kids who are in bad home situations decide not to ever make anyone feel what they feel when they are subjects of parental abuse -- there are probably people on this thread who have been there. (I have "met" a couple of WS'ers who have stated just that -- something like, "I promised myself that I would never, ever do this to my children -- I am gonna try to make them happy all the time." One path vs. the other path. SMH.

From November:

http://www.mlive.com/news/grand-rapids/index.ssf/2015/11/kent_countys_youngest_murderer.html

Judge Paul Denenfeld decided to impose a so-called blended sentence for the boy found guilty this summer of first-degree murder. "I believe in redemption. I'm not willing to give that up on a 13-year-old boy at this point," Denenfeld said.

That means Jamarion will spend the next six to eight years in the Muskegon River Youth Home, a juvenile detention center in Evart. If Jamarion lives up to expectations and does not get into trouble, he could avoid an adult sentence, according to Assistant Kent County Prosecutor Vicki Seidl.

But the prosecution has the option to seek an adult sentence that could include life in prison without the possibility of parole.

http://woodtv.com/2015/11/18/judge-young-killers-siblings-should-stay-with-mom/

The goal remains to reunite the mother of Kent County’s youngest convicted killer with her other children, a judge said...

Harrold has been drug-free for a year, his attorney told the court, something the judge said was commendable. A caseworker said she hasn’t had any concern about drug or alcohol use in Lawhorn’s home.

Denenfeld said he thinks reunifying Jamarion’s siblings with his mom and step father is the best option — but the case isn’t closed...

http://www.wzzm13.com/story/news/2015/11/24/child-abuse-sentencing/76345080/

Sullivan ordered Lawhorn and Harrold to serve a year in the Kent County Jail followed by five years on probation.

The sentences are unique in one regard – Lawhorn, 39, will initially serve 150 days and be released. Two weeks later, it will be Harrold's turn to serve a five-month term. That way, one of the parents will be able to care for the three children still at home.

I just came across this case today. (How did I not hear about it before???)

I definitely believe that juveniles, particularly those under 16, should be tried in the juvenile system. Their brains and emotional maturity are simply not fully developed. The key to this though is that the juvenile must be given adequate therapeutic treatment. Without that we are only kidding ourselves that this system will work.

I think there are 3 key types of circumstances for children who commit violent crimes:

1) Some are simply born with a biological defect leaving them with no empathy or remorse right from birth. Nothing we do for these people will solve that. I'm not sure what we should do in these circumstances other than keep them segregated from society if they show any signs of violence.

2) Some people are born with diminished capacity to deal with life (e.g. Fetal Alcohol Syndrome) and who are then dealt the double blow of growing up in a family who is erratic, abusive and incapable of nurturing. I think this is where I would place Jamarion. He wasn't born with the mental tools (his mother was likely alcoholic and on drugs when he was born) to even have a hope of dealing with the abuse he suffered with. (This is completely my opinion/best guess based on what little I know about the case through the media.)

3) Some are born with "normal" mental/emotional capacity but grow up in an abusive environment or suffer a terrible traumatic event. These people may suffer with PTSD or simply may not be quite resilient enough to respond well to the abusive environment. They may lash out in frustration due to their lack of control and bitterness at their situation.

I think that those in group #2 are difficult to make whole again...but we have to try. We also must be on guard that they may never be restored enough to be safely included back into society. I think we have to TRY with Jamarion, but remain vigilant.

Those in group #3 are likely to benefit significantly from therapy and loving support.

These are just my uneducated thoughts. These cases are so devastating to me. How have we let so many children down?

Very belated condolences to Connor's family.
Rest in peace Connor.

:rose:

conner-verkerke-file-photo.jpg

Something is just not adding up with this kids story. I don't think he "wanted to die". I think he wanted to take a life, but not his own. He planned this for a year and then coldly, and in calculated manor, asks a nine yr old to be his friend then stabs him in the back in front of his little brother.

This just doesn't scream suicidal. It screams homicidal attention seeking to me. If he had just snapped it would not have been a year before he did this. Not to mention, this kid is twelve, he was not retarded, as far we know, quite possibly he was aware that kids his age don't get the DP. He also didn't bother to ask the cops to check on his victim, quite to the contrary, he was upset that they didn't immediately focus on him. I have heard nothing about any pills being found in his system, so that was most likely a lie he may have used to AVOID responsibility and NOT get an adult sentence...

After he stabbed Connor, he chillingly call it in and waits for the attention.

When asked if he was concerned for his victim he said no, but later changed that to yes... I wouldn't be a bit surprised if he was never suicidal but planned the whole thing for the notoriety and attention.

For a YEAR, he contemplated murder. Not suicide. He's twelve, not eight, no alternative method of suicide occurred to him in all that time?

I am having a hard time mustering up any sympathy for this kid. But I know that a lot of people will, and I badly hope it's not misplaced.

I haven't felt this much gut revulsion, since the two kids who murdered baby James, the toddler they abducted from a mall.

Thinking about this kid -- it sounds like he had had a pretty lousy life thus far -- why didn't he just run away or go to the police or a church? Maybe he thought that they wouldn't care -- apparently not many, if any, adults had cared about him. Was he told at home that he was stupid or lazy or worthless, etc.? What he did could have been triggered by rage against his mother and boyfriend (was he a boyfriend?) for what they were doing to him. Did he ask for help at school? Was he afraid of everything or angry at everything? We need more info. What this kid did was absolutely horrible. SMH.

Something is just not adding up with this kids story. I don't think he "wanted to die". I think he wanted to take a life, but not his own. He planned this for a year and then coldly, and in calculated manor, asks a nine yr old to be his friend then stabs him in the back in front of his little brother.

This just doesn't scream suicidal. It screams homicidal attention seeking to me. If he had just snapped it would not have been a year before he did this. Not to mention, this kid is twelve, he was not retarded, as far we know, quite possibly he was aware that kids his age don't get the DP. He also didn't bother to ask the cops to check on his victim, quite to the contrary, he was upset that they didn't immediately focus on him. I have heard nothing about any pills being found in his system, so that was most likely a lie he may have used to AVOID responsibility and NOT get an adult sentence...

After he stabbed Connor, he chillingly call it in and waits for the attention.

When asked if he was concerned for his victim he said no, but later changed that to yes... I wouldn't be a bit surprised if he was never suicidal but planned the whole thing for the notoriety and attention.

For a YEAR, he contemplated murder. Not suicide. He's twelve, not eight, no alternative method of suicide occurred to him in all that time?

I am having a hard time mustering up any sympathy for this kid. But I know that a lot of people will, and I badly hope it's not misplaced.

I haven't felt this much gut revulsion, since the two kids who murdered baby James, the toddler they abducted from a mall.

Good points. One year is a long time to plan to kill someone else. I might have to revise my opinion and say that Jamarion was "between" my category #1 and #2. The question is whether being abused and never nurtured can drive to have absolutely no empathy.

I've noticed that Jamarion has absolutely no "affect" in his voice. It's as if he is simply a body and his soul has deserted him.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
world1971
Back