Found Deceased MI - Danielle Marie Steiner, 34, & Aubrey Nisan Hall, 5, Lansing, Aug 2018

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Were the bodies actually buried or were their remains tossed behind the house (or wherever they were found) or were they killed elsewhere and then the remains were taken to the 800 location?

LANSING, Mich. (AP) -- Human remains found at a vacant Lansing house have been identified as a woman and her 5-year-old son who disappeared last summer, police said Friday.

The deaths of Danielle Steiner, 34, and Aubrey Hall are being investigated as homicides. The discovery of bones Monday by a construction crew led police to dig in a backyard.

Remains found in Lansing backyard are woman, son who disappeared last year

BBM. It hasn't been stated outright but the above implies they were buried. MOO.

Wonder if this was the friends house they had been living in? Appears it was occupied (by owner or renters) prior to the sale?

Or maybe the house was empty, and Danielle (and Aubrey :() were squatting there ....

According to realtor.com, the home was sold as part of an estate:
“Property Overview - Estate Sale - Property sold As-Is . Property has updated siding, windows, roof shingles, furnace and A/C.”
800 Loa St, Lansing, MI 48910 - realtor.com®

From the tax assessment record for the property, I was able to find the previous owners’ names.
https://bsaonline.com/Home/Index?uid=384

I then found the obituary for one of them. It lists the other owner as one of the decedent’s children. It also indicates that the other owner lives out of state.
Recent Obituaries | Palmer, Bush & Jensen Family Funeral Homes

Next I was able to find the probate record for the estate of the decedent.
Ingham County Court Services

Apparently, the owner passed away on April 7, 2017, and the probate was completed on June 11, 2018.

And this is probably a coincidence, but the timing is interesting, IMO:
“A CPS investigator said Steiner had moved to a neighbor's home just before he spoke to her June 14 because she could not afford rent, according to court records. Shortly after, she moved out of that house. When the investigator tried to contact her again, he could not find her.” (BBM)

Or perhaps the house was being rented, and Danielle knew the tenant(s).

Posted: Fri 4:47 PM, Jul 05, 2019 |
Updated: Fri 6:35 PM, Jul 05, 2019
“LANSING, MI (WILX) -- A neighbor of the woman whose bones were found in Lansing this week said she was in a relationship that she described as ‘abusive.’

Danielle Steiner and her son Aubrey Hall lived in two homes on Loa Street.

‘She had to take care of her son she had two or three jobs. It seemed like all the pressure was on her, she was always changing clothes, going to another job, and the boyfriend sat on the stoop and that was it,’ Darlene Nicklosovich, a neighbor of Steiner's, said.

Nicklosovich said that since Steiner worked all the time and her boyfriend didn't, it caused problems in their relationship.

‘I don't know about their personal life but from what I saw it was abusive. I don't know if it was physical, but it was always words exchanged. They would argue a lot,’ Nicklosovich said.

After not seeing Steiner or Hall for weeks, Nicklosovich's husband asked Steiner's boyfriend if he knew where they went.

‘She went away' but that was it, he didn't go into it,’ Nicklosovich said.

[SBM]”
Neighbor speaks about found bones

“Lansing police provided a time line of last known contact with Steiner, stating that she had a meeting with Child Protective Services on June 14. And her last known contact was a text message sent to a family member on June 17.”
Bones identified as missing mother and son

I’d really like to know how many times in total the CPS investigator interviewed Danielle, and what, other than allegations made by Aubrey’s father, lead him to recommend that the father be awarded full legal and physical custody.

How thoroughly was he vetted (not very, IMO )?
Offender Tracking Information System (OTIS)
(Make sure to change the “Offender Status” to “All” first.)

LANSING, MI (WILX) - Lansing Police held a press conference on Friday morning to report on a found bones investigation.

They reported that after an autopsy and multiple tests, they were able to determine that the bones belonged to missing persons Danielle Marie Steiner, 34 of Lansing, and her 5-year-old son, Aubrey Nisan Hall. (Those are their ages when they went missing.)

On July 1, bones were found at a home in 800 block of Loa Street, near Atlas Street in south Lansing.

A construction crew that was rehabbing the home discovered the bones outside.

Federal, State, and county law enforcement agencies worked with the Lansing police to determine what the bones were.

Once it was confirmed that they were indeed human, search warrants were issued for the home and property.

On July 2 an autopsy was performed on the bones but the cause of death was not conclusive.

July 3 more tests were done and they were able to identify the bones as Steiner and Hall, who lived on the 700 block of Loa.

The two had been missing since June 2018, but not reported missing to the police until August 2018. That's when Lansing Police opened up a missing person investigation.

There wasn't any evidence that this was a homicide investigation, only a missing persons until Friday.

Court records show that the boy's father was granted full custody of Aubrey in June 2018.

Lansing police provided a time line of last known contact with Steiner, stating that she had a meeting with Child Protective Services on June 14. And her last known contact was a text message sent to a family member on June 17.

It wasn't until August 13 that police were made aware that they were missing, and at that time they opened the missing persons case.

It has now been re-classified as a homicide.

Anyone with any information, needs to contact the detectives in charge of this case - they can remain anonymous.

You can reach them at these numbers:
Detective Looney @ 517-483-6869, Detective Trooper Mills
@ 517-483-6866, and Detective Sergeant Johnson @ 517-483-6867.

Danielle Steiner and her 5-year-old son Aubrey Hall had not been seen since Steiner took him out of school in June 2018. Police said the last contact with Steiner was June 17.

Prior to this, a Child Protective Services investigator said Steiner moved to a neighbor's home before speaking with her on June 14 because she could not afford rent. Shortly after, she reportedly moved out of that house. When the investigator tried to contact her again, he could not find her.

Police began investigating their disappearance on August 1, 2018, when a family friend reported them being missing

What was the relationship between father, mother and son like?
0d49ccc8-a12a-48e1-9fc5-154c0dee8fae-danielle_pic.png

Danielle Steiner (Photo: Courtesy of Lansing Police Department)

Steiner, Aubrey and Aubrey's father, Anthony Hall, lived together from the time Aubrey was born in 2012 through February 2018. At various times, Steiner and Aubrey lived in the 700 and 800 block of Loa Street, Lansing Police Chief Mike Yankowski said.

The remains of Steiner and her son were found outside a vacant home on that block.

Hall filed a request for a custody hearing in May 2018, and was granted custody in late June after Steiner did not come to a custody hearing June 26.
What we know about the case of a mother, son's bodies found in Lansing

I'm still trying to make sense of things.
  • Danielle, Anthony Hall & Aubrey lived together from 2012 to February 2018.
  • Danielle Steiner and her 5-year-old son Aubrey Hall had not been seen since Steiner took him out of school in June 2018.
  • At various times, Steiner and Aubrey lived in the 700 and 800 block of Loa Street
  • Hall filed a request for a custody hearing in May 2018, and was granted custody in late June after Steiner did not come to a custody hearing June 26.
  • Last known contact with Danielle, was a text she sent to a family member on June 17, 2018.
  • Child Protective Services investigator said Steiner moved to a neighbor's home before speaking with her on June 14 because she could not afford rent. Shortly after, she reportedly moved out of that house. When the investigator tried to contact her again, he could not find her.
  • Police began investigating their disappearance on August 1, 2018, when a family friend reported them being missing.
Something wonky going on here. Hall cared enough to file for a custody hearing and claimed Danielle was doing drugs. He was granted custody on June 26, 2018 when Steiner FTA at the hearing (likely because she was dead).

It says a family friend reported the two missing? If Hall appeared at the hearing and was granted custody, why didn't he report the two missing? He would have been looking for Aubrey to take custody of him right?

Yeah, I was thinking the same thing. Him getting full custody and then making no effort to gain custody, never reporting them missing etc is enough evidence for me. He knew where they were and was just hoping people would think they'd moved on. I bet he didn't expect the bodies to be dug up. I don't believe he got custody and then just didn't care that he never saw them again.

Lansing man charged in slayings of woman, 5-year-old son

A 55-year-old Lansing man faces two open murder counts and weapons charges in the slayings of a woman and her 5-year-old son whose remains were found buried at a vacant house.

Lansing police say Douglas Ross Hill was charged Friday and transported from Monroe County, where he was in police custody on an unrelated matter.

First and foremost, I need to apologize to Danielle’s fiancé and the dad of Aubrey for jumping to conclusions and suspecting him of such a heinous crime. I’m so sorry.

I am grateful for the hard work of the Lansing Police Department and the arrest of the suspect less than a month after the identification of the remains.

I have been trying to figure out the motive since hearing about the arrest. Why kill both? Did Hill murder Danielle first, and then Aubrey because he witnessed the crime? Another possibility I though of is maybe Hill had been abusing Aubrey and Danielle found out.

Or maybe the house was empty, and Danielle (and Aubrey :() were squatting there ....

According to realtor.com, the home was sold as part of an estate:
“Property Overview - Estate Sale - Property sold As-Is . Property has updated siding, windows, roof shingles, furnace and A/C.”
800 Loa St, Lansing, MI 48910 - realtor.com®

From the tax assessment record for the property, I was able to find the previous owners’ names.
https://bsaonline.com/Home/Index?uid=384

I then found the obituary for one of them. It lists the other owner as one of the decedent’s children. It also indicates that the other owner lives out of state.
Recent Obituaries | Palmer, Bush & Jensen Family Funeral Homes

Next I was able to find the probate record for the estate of the decedent.
Ingham County Court Services

Apparently, the owner passed away on April 7, 2017, and the probate was completed on June 11, 2018.

And this is probably a coincidence, but the timing is interesting, IMO:
“A CPS investigator said Steiner had moved to a neighbor's home just before he spoke to her June 14 because she could not afford rent, according to court records. Shortly after, she moved out of that house. When the investigator tried to contact her again, he could not find her.” (BBM)

Or perhaps the house was being rented, and Danielle knew the tenant(s).
My apologies for quoting one of my own posts.

I just did the reverse of what I did in the post above, and it appears that Douglas Hill is the son of the gentleman who passed away in April, 2017. His sibling was the executor of their father’s estate, which included the property at 800 Loa Street.

County real estate transfer records show
the father (or his estate) and the sibling were listed as the owners at the time of the property on June 4th.

So it sounds like Hill was basically renting the house from his sibling at the time of the murders.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AR Sleuth
Back