MI MI - Danielle Stislicki, 28, Southfield, 2 Dec 2016 #1

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't have a read on this case at all. How can there be so few leads? I mean, we rarely see someone actually "disappear," without some clues or suspects or video.

well, with the possibility of DS's disappearance being connected to drug activity, it's not too surprising that there's so little info on it. Drug dealers by nature and habit fly under the radar as much as possible.

And it sounds like DS, if she were a smoker, mostly kept it to herself. I think she worked for an insurance company? Probably not a good move for current/future employment prospects to let too many people know you smoke.

So you have both ends of a transaction working overtime to keep that transaction private.

Someone up thread mentioned how they themselves bought pot from a friend and hung out with all their high school(?) friends who were also pot smokers.

Some people would rather not have everyone know they smoke and, for better or worse, tag them with the "stoner" label. So buying from a friend or smoking with your old friends becomes problematic. So you find a more arms-length hook-up; who doesn't know you from back home and hopefully doesn't know any of your current/previous close friends/family/co-workers. Not that difficult to do, especially around Detroit. And if you're a twenty-something attractive female, very easy.

Maggie Daniels...Guidance Counselor in NC

missed that one. I was thinking of the Lauren Giddings case down in Macon:

http://abovethelaw.com/2011/08/a-cl...daniel-lauren-giddings-and-mercer-law-school/

Women living alone in these apartment complexes seems insanely dangerous. Esp if they are on the more attractive, or, more professional, maybe? end of the scale. I guess higher profile people = more likely to be targets--whatever the reason that they stand out from the crowd.

But then having a roommate or roommates isn't even sufficient to insure safety, as the Julia Niswender case at EMU in Ypsi demonstrated.

I've been a member here for years and this is the first time I have ever had any connection to a case. I work for the same company in a different city and a lot of people I know have known DS's mom for years and some know DS. I was on a year-end call yesterday where, at the end, one of the big bosses, a very business-y and professional-type man, mentioned DS and AS and his voice broke when he explained it. He could barely wish everyone happy holidays before ending the call, it was heartbreaking.

I don't have a read on this case at all. How can there be so few leads? I mean, we rarely see someone actually "disappear," without some clues or suspects or video. I really hope the police have more info than they are releasing. Praying for DS and her family and thinking about them every day.

Thank you for stepping forward with you comments Emil. My condolences to everyone who either knows Danielle or has a connection to her in some way at work.

So often people trash large companies for being uncaring, but I don't think that's fair. MetLife is a respectable organization and, let's face it, made up of people....people who care about their business and, even more importantly, care about the people that work there.

During my career I have worked for a large life insurance company (in Canada). I know that if something had happened to one of their employees they would have been devastated. (The company I worked for had an employee die in a tragic air balloon accident and they were all over it.) Think about it....the nature of their business is to cover basic expenses at the worst times in people's lives. They make a difference.

Having said that, there is one area of the business that is highly risky. The people who deal with disability payments. These people put their lives at risk. Someone who is dependent on getting their disability claim approved is often desperate. They've lost their income. They are in pain (if not physically, likely emotionally). Quite often the plan that their employer has paid for doesn't cover their particular circumstance and they will blame that on the insurance company. As a result, insurance companies often locate their disability claims personnel in a locked environment for their own protection.

This is likely off topic, however there is an off chance that a claimant was determined to "hurt" an employee of the company. This is definitely a long shot, but should not be ignored.

I wonder what the local employees of MetLife are thinking now.

No matter what, I extend my condolences to everyone who knows DS through work.

Does anyone have an idea why the apartment complex is offering $50,000? Seems odd to me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Does anyone have an idea why the apartment complex is offering $50,000? Seems odd to me.

My guess is that they are concerned that no one will move there with this terrible case hanging over their heads. What female would move to that apartment complex now?

Having said that, $50,000 is a very significant amount!

:welcome: No idea but in my opinion that money could have been spent prior to this on proper lighting and cameras.

I too, was thinking of the NC case.

When LE first made their statement that the issue of her missing was not the case, her safety was, (not a word for word quote), it seemed like a peculiar statement. As time goes on with so many agencies involved in this case and little to any information given out, I truly believe that LE knows exactly what was planned to happen, however, something went wrong and Danielle has disappeared.

My opinions only.

I said the exact same thing to a friend of mine. I'm no stranger to missing persons cases and I've never heard of an apartment complex offering a reward like this. Heck, in other cases, I've seen apartment complexes want missing peoples belongings removed so they can turn the property over to a new renter. It's bizzare and odd, especially considering the amount of the reward. I hate to speculate but maybe their trying their best to avoid litigation. The place isn't well lit! The reviews are not good! There's even mention in reviews of management not warning tennant's of RSO's on the property.

I said the exact same thing to a friend of mine. I'm no stranger to missing persons cases and I've never heard of an apartment complex offering a reward like this. Heck, in other cases, I've seen apartment complexes want missing peoples belongings removed so they can turn the property over to a new renter. It's bizzare and odd, especially considering the amount of the reward. I hate to speculate but maybe their trying their best to avoid litigation. The place isn't well lit! The reviews are not good! There's even mention in reviews of management not warning tennant's of RSO's on the property.

But isn't this creating a "Streisand effect" of sorts? Suppose they are trying to avoid litigation, it doesn't make sense that they would want to get their name out there at all. Better to be quiet. This is drawing even more attention.

IANAL, but unless the apt complex is substantially certain that a crime has been committed on their property, they would have no reason to fear liability. No such thing as negligence in the air.

I suppose I'm just skeptical about this seemingly generous move.

my guess: they have an insurance policy with a rider--might not even be specific to a missing person, but a general $50K rider covering remuneration of victims of crime or other mishaps that occur on premises--in that amount for these situations. the amount strikes me as something an insurer might offer to a place like that.

In terms of a stalker, I was thinking that it could be another resident in the complex.
I would also like to know whether Danielle's friend had mentioned Danielle's plans to anyone. Someone several pages back suggested a possible link between Danielle's disappearance and the fact that the friend's boyfriend is facing murder charges related to the death of his infant son.

I'm the one who first suggested the possible link. I would never, ever in a million years assume that Danielle's friend, whose infant son's life was taken in such a tragic manner, would do anything to help the person who is accused of carrying out the deed (and sorry, I don't mean to say you are suggesting that I am, either, Ozoner; I just wanted to make this clear). And I believe it was a different friend that Daniele was going to have dinner with that evening, too. Nonetheless, generally speaking, people's plans and whereabouts are shared so easily and quickly via SM these days.

I also find it interesting that it appears a pre-trial hearing in the case was schedule for Dec. 6th, which has now been moved to the 13th. Another thing is that MI Department of Correction is one of the investigative agencies involved (the father of Danielle's friend's baby -who is also the one accused of the baby's murder- is currently in custody of Wayne County Sheriff, but he has served a total of about five years in the state prison system).

But isn't this creating a "Streisand effect" of sorts? Suppose they are trying to avoid litigation, it doesn't make sense that they would want to get their name out there at all. Better to be quiet. This is drawing even more attention.

IANAL, but unless the apt complex is substantially certain that a crime has been committed on their property, they would have no reason to fear liability. No such thing as negligence in the air.

I suppose I'm just skeptical about this seemingly generous move.

I'm skeptical of the reward as well. So then, what's the point of drawing more attention with the reward? I can't see that generating more clientel? A woman is missing afterall! Maybe I'd be more comfortable with 5 or 10 grand. But 50k.....that's unheard of, at least in my experience! Why 50k...and why so early on after Danielle went missing. It doesn't sit well with me! Okay, maybe it's related to insurance. Maybe they have something to gain by drawing on a policy. I also agree with others who have stated putting money back into the property would be more beneficial. It's a generous offer..I commend them for it, but it's not the norm!

I'm the one who first suggested the possible link. I would never, ever in a million years assume that Danielle's friend, whose infant son's life was taken in such a tragic manner, would do anything to help the person who is accused of carrying out the deed (and sorry, I don't mean to say you are suggesting that I am, either, Ozoner; I just wanted to make this clear). And I believe it was a different friend that Daniele was going to have dinner with that evening, too. Nonetheless, generally speaking, people's plans and whereabouts are shared so easily and quickly via SM these days.

I also find it interesting that it appears a pre-trial hearing in the case was schedule for Dec. 6th, which has now been moved to the 13th. Another thing is that MI Department of Correction is one of the investigative agencies involved.

Very interesting connection

well, with the possibility of DS's disappearance being connected to drug activity, it's not too surprising that there's so little info on it. Drug dealers by nature and habit fly under the radar as much as possible.

And it sounds like DS, if she were a smoker, mostly kept it to herself. I think she worked for an insurance company? Probably not a good move for current/future employment prospects to let too many people know you smoke.

So you have both ends of a transaction working overtime to keep that transaction private.

Someone up thread mentioned how they themselves bought pot from a friend and hung out with all their high school(?) friends who were also pot smokers.

Some people would rather not have everyone know they smoke and, for better or worse, tag them with the "stoner" label. So buying from a friend or smoking with your old friends becomes problematic. So you find a more arms-length hook-up; who doesn't know you from back home and hopefully doesn't know any of your current/previous close friends/family/co-workers. Not that difficult to do, especially around Detroit. And if you're a twenty-something attractive female, very easy.

My guess is one would be rather discreet about it, too. But then about her keychain: When the police chief showed a photo of it at the press cobference, I just thought to myself, "Cute. Looks like a Lego figure." I had never even heard of "The Smoke Buddy" (somewhat interestingly, I have smoked cigarettes for years -I know, gross ... :(-, but never smoked marijuana). But now if I see someone carrying a similar keychain, I will probably wonder, "Does this person have 'connections' if I ever want to try smoking marijuana?" I'm just wondering if that's kind of how it works among those who peruse pot on a regular basis, or are familiar with the Smoke Buddy product.

DEA and SONIC being included in the list of agencies investigating this case does lead me to believe there may be a drug-related-angle to Danielle's disappearance. Then there is her keychain. Would she have owed someone money? Provided info to LE?

My guess is one would be rather discreet about it, too. But then about her keychain: When the police chief showed a photo of it at the press cobference, I just thought to myself, "Cute. Looks like a Lego figure." I had never even heard of "The Smoke Buddy" (somewhat interestingly, I have smoked cigarettes for years -I know, gross ... :(-, but never smoked marijuana). But now if I see someone carrying a similar keychain, I will probably wonder, "Does this person have 'connections' if I ever want to try smoking marijuana?" I'm just wondering if that's kind of how it works among those who peruse pot on a regular basis, or are familiar with the Smoke Buddy product.

DEA and SONIC being included in the list of agencies investigating this case does lead me to believe there may be a drug-related-angle to Danielle's disappearance. Then there is her keychain. Would she have owed someone money? Provided info to LE?

lol I totally thought cute lego guy too

Could be a drug dealer DEA was watching that either lives or does business with in the complex...maybe they noticed he was missing around the same time?

Could be a drug dealer DEA was watching that either lives or does business with in the complex...maybe they noticed he was missing around the same time?

Maybe she witnessed something unknowingly?

I've lived in apartment complexes large and small over the years. It just seems to me so unlikely that someone didn't see her or someone park her car. Especially around 5pm. I know it was said she left a little early, but not everyone leaves at exactly 5pm. Someone should've been pulling in the parking lot or walking to a nearby unit at that time of day?

Do we know how long she'd lived there? And was she paying the extra fee for a designated spot?

Maybe she witnessed something unknowingly?

I've lived in apartment complexes large and small over the years. It just seems to me so unlikely that someone didn't see her or someone park her car. Especially around 5pm. I know it was said she left a little early, but not everyone leaves at exactly 5pm. Someone should've been pulling in the parking lot or walking to a nearby unit at that time of day?

Do we know how long she'd lived there? And was she paying the extra fee for a designated spot?

Good point about 5 pm on a Friday being a time when folks are coming home/leaving at that or any apt complex.

If DS has the assigned space thing, and no one has a confirmed time for when her Jeep was parked back at the apt complex in her spot....that leaves open any time btw 5 PM Friday and 6 PM Saturday when someone else could've returned her jeep to that spot.

Esp overnight, cover of darkness, kill the headlights, coast into her spot and quietly exit the scene.

Purely damage control because they certainly don't maintain the property other than very superficially and this case points out that they lack lighting and camera coverage outside.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ellerybeans