Found Deceased MI - Dr. Teleka Patrick, 30, Kalamazoo, 5 Dec 2013 - #14

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
http://www.wxyz.com/news/local-news...ricks-family-could-learn-bodys-identity-today

“Even with the winter, if you went over that fence you’re going to tear some fabric on your jacket or your clothes. That fence was clean,” said Carlin. “If you thought you were in water or mud, you’re at least going to turn around and go in the other direction.”

Snipped and bolded for focus:

It's frustrating to see a private investigator who knows about all her illogical/odd behaviors on the evening of Dec 5th try to apply logical presumptive actions to what he believes Teleka did when possibly confronted by mud.

She refused to go to her own apartment out of fear....but didn't call police with her fears, which is would be logical.

She left her phone at work, borrowed money, said she needed a ride....even though her car was right there at work.

She 'acted' like she wanted a room....but didn't actually specifically ask for one. She acted oddly enough the guy asked if she was OK.

She drove erratically. (speed up, slow down, weaving to median, etc.)

But once out of her car, after all this, he knows if Teleka had confronted mud or water, normal behaviors would kick in. At last.

Also. Sometimes when one 'confronts' water suddenly, in the dark, it is because they have fallen in it, and it is to late to avoid! :banghead:

In fishing lakes debris like old Christmas trees is sometimes added to the lake to make fish habitat.

old tires are also thrown in. I wondered if maybe she was already floating right under the ice? Not sure if it's possible

I have two questions:

1. Did LE and Jim Carlin both visually inspect every inch of the entire fence line? Every single inch?

2. When people go fishing in/on that lake, how do they get in?

http://www.wxyz.com/news/local-news...ricks-family-could-learn-bodys-identity-today

Perhaps she didn't climb over the fence. Perhaps she was running and tumbled over it. We all saw the camera shot of that section that was sagging/pushed down. Teleka is 5'7". If the 4' fence is 3'6"-3"-8" in that pushed down (and covered with cushioning dried vines) section....that hits at my bottom ribs, and I'm only 5'3". That would hit at waist or below on Teleka.

(Yes, I took out a tape measure for this....)

48" hits at my chest, and again, I'm four inches shorter than Teleka. Running/stumbling....flip over fence at hips/waist height section. Jacket looked like sturdy, thick fabric, covers torso to upper thigh. Barbs on top may have punctured/torn coat but not left much of anything behind. Even if there was a fluff of coat stuffing, they didn't start looking for her for six days. No weather to wash/blow some coat fluff away in 6 days?

Lands on other side (don't know how close to water the section of fence where she went over is) and could have rolled directly in after falling, or, stunned from her fall, wobbled back up to standing, started running in the dark again, right into lake, coat and shoes become anchors, water ice cold. Low that night: 22 degrees. Not exactly a pool ladder on the edge of that pond...

I went back to the FB photos; #12 was linked in the article I linked to before; I think photo 11 shows the fence better. Looks like a 4ft stake; the fence is 1/2 way down due to the vine; so you figure 2 to 2 1/2ft tall.

Going to what Carlin said; you would think she would turn around when she realized she was in water; why didn't she?

“Even with the winter, if you went over that fence you’re going to tear some fabric on your jacket or your clothes. That fence was clean,” said Carlin. “If you thought you were in water or mud, you’re at least going to turn around and go in the other direction.”

According to this there was no ice; LE also got to the scene within minutes of her pulling over. It says they looked for her. I wonder if she actually ran from LE thinking someone followed her?

Teleka Patrick search hindered by brutal winter
...last seen on Dec. 5, a day where the high temperature reached the 50s, ending the last stretch of balmy weather of 2013 in southern Michigan and northern Indiana....

Drivers on westbound I-94 reported seeing Patrick driving erratically on westbound I-94 near Portage, Ind., about 10 p.m. Dec. 5, and then called to say the car was in a ditch. Indiana State Police arrived at the scene within minutes and found the car, but there was no sign of Patrick.

Police searched the area that night for the car's driver, but assumed she had gotten a ride. "They thought it was just a motorist-assist call," Matyas said

If by chance she was running she could have thought she could swim to the other side. Looking at what she was wearing that night and reading that she appeared to have on the same clothes I would imagine when they got wet they became very heavy.

I have a friend who's nephew filled his pockets (cargo pants)with rocks when he walked in a lake to drown.

Sorry if I wasn't supposed to post those facebook photos. They were originally posted here by the FB account holder, so I thought it was ok

One of the mlive stories this morning had comments (think it was the search on hold) where someone posted the FB pics of the fence showing it was broken & that she could have easily gotten over the fence. Someone from Mlive commented that their reporter also went to check the fence but said it was too high to get over. Sounds like someone fixed it after the original pics were taken.

Comments are back on the story...
Teleka Patrick search on hold pending autopsy

How are you reading the post? I'm using firefox; everything is fine.

That reporter posted his story mid-Feb and the photos were taken end of Jan.

So sad to hear this news. I've followed this case since early December; and like most of us have after reading Teleka's tweets, I grew to appreciate her dedication to her career & her great sense of humor.

I knew since the beginning of her disappearance that she would be found within the immediate area of where her car was.

Sending all my thoughts to the Patrick family :)

RIP Dr. Teleka Patrick. I wish there could've been a different outcome for you. Your dedication to your career and religious-ness is inspiring all of us. You've taught mostly all of us the importance of the stigma on mental illnesses. I hope we can do our best to stress the fact illness stigma is inappropriate.

RIP Dr. Teleka Patrick, you'll be missed by so many of us :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hmmmm. This seems strange to me. News articles indicate that due to the level of decomposition they couldn't confirm body's identity until autopsy performed and dental records and fingerprints are used.....yet this man was magically able to recognize her that easily such that he looked her up on the internet? Seems a little far-fetched to me, IMO.

It said he recognized the black jacket as being the same (type). It didn't say he saw her face at all. The article said she was faced down.

Is there a photo of Dr. Patrick's car resting up against the fence?

I wouldn't think so because by the time they 'found' her car, it was a week later, and it was at an impound lot.

I don't think the police took a picture of the abandoned car in situ the week before. They had no idea at the time it would be linked to a missing persons case. :waitasec:

ETA: In other words, when it was in the ditch, it wasn't known to be Teleka's car. It was just a generic abandoned car. They had it towed. When it was realized it was Teleka's, it was at an impound lot.

Here are two pictures that show the area her car was found "in the ditch near mile marker 23".

http://s296.photobucket.com/user/cr...eFence-ditch-LakeCharles.jpg.html?sort=6&o=72

http://s296.photobucket.com/user/cr...atrick -MI-/021514exit1.jpg.html?sort=6&o=82

Car was about 30 feet off the highway, according to this Rex Hall article. Which sounds way closer to the fence than the road.

http://s296.photobucket.com/user/cr...SP-DetSgt-DoneAllWeCanDo.jpg.html?sort=6&o=69

Hat tip to websleuther Amanda Reckonwith for the photos/documents. :seeya:

ETA: Rex Hall article

You think someone saw them here and decided to fix it?

I think more like the county (or whoever is in charge of the area) saw the pics & sent workers to fix it before someone ended up in the lake & they got sued. Will be watching to see if her family presses charges.

Yes. I don't know what I was thinking. Of course there was no photo taken by LE of the car. :facepalm:

I think that if I got a flat and pulled off the roadway, my first thought would be to get assistance. If I can see the lights in the distance of a service station or something I would head towards it. Cutting through the park would be much shorter than going all the way down the road to the exit and coming around. The park was covered in snow and the lake frozen. In fact, when it's covered with snow you can't really tell its a lake. Walking out on it 20 to 30 feet and falling though would certainly kill someone without immediate rescue. The ice simply refroze, covering the hole making it difficult to locate her.

3441740-600704-a-frozen-lake-covered-by-snow-with-ski-track.jpg

The lake was not frozen on Dec. 5th.

I think that if I got a flat and pulled off the roadway, my first thought would be to get assistance. If I can see the lights in the distance of a service station or something I would head towards it. Cutting through the park would be much shorter than going all the way down the road to the exit and coming around. The park was covered in snow and the lake frozen. In fact, when it's covered with snow you can't really tell its a lake. Walking out on it 20 to 30 feet and falling though would certainly kill someone without immediate rescue. The ice simply refroze, covering the hole making it difficult to locate her.

It wasn't covered in snow and the lake hadn't frozen yet. I'm not sure what park you're referring to? Do you mean that truck stop/parking lot?

She was in a paranoid state and driving erratically. She was more afraid of everything else than the dark evidently. On a dark night, she could not see the lake over the berm. She probably fell into the water before she ever had a chance to realize it was there.

There was no ice or snow the night Dr. Patrick went missing. It was in the 40s earlier in the day, but dropped below freezing that night and didn't recover much before diving into the deep freeze. Snow and ice were not part of the scenario at all. Several of us posted the complete list of 24 hour temperatures for November and December.

I wrote this a few posts up-

According to this there was no ice; LE also got to the scene within minutes of her pulling over. It says they looked for her. I wonder if she actually ran from LE thinking someone followed her?

Teleka Patrick search hindered by brutal winter
...last seen on Dec. 5, a day where the high temperature reached the 50s, ending the last stretch of balmy weather of 2013 in southern Michigan and northern Indiana....

Drivers on westbound I-94 reported seeing Patrick driving erratically on westbound I-94 near Portage, Ind., about 10 p.m. Dec. 5, and then called to say the car was in a ditch. Indiana State Police arrived at the scene within minutes and found the car, but there was no sign of Patrick.

Police searched the area that night for the car's driver, but assumed she had gotten a ride. "They thought it was just a motorist-assist call," Matyas said

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jusslikeme
Back