Found Deceased MI - Dr. Teleka Patrick, 30, Kalamazoo, 5 Dec 2013 - #14

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
I'm thinking about Dr. Patrick and I know that if nothing else, she knows that A LOT of people cared about her. I can only believe that when you go from here to there and all of the mortal stuff goes away that her mind is clear and that she is free.

I hope that her family can find peace and I believe that she is safe now and well and whole. The world will miss everything she would have given it.

RIP Dr. Patrick :rose: :rose: :rose:

This makes me so mad. Why didn't the people she was around help her?

I wish they would have given us info about what was said at the reception desk at the Radisson.

This case has been sad from the beginning, and unfortunately had the worse outcome.

So many around her saw and knew things weren't right. No close loved ones to help guide, and encourage treatment. The signs were there, and very possible TP would NOT have voluntarily accepted treatment. Yet working in the area where there were experts, I'm sure some had concerns. Especially when the drug screen was negative. They had to realize 'something' was off. I wonder how closely her work was monitored? She hadn't been there long, yet symptoms were showing in the short time those working with her, and being around her noticed. I hope it's used as a growing and learning experience and in the future, more psychological testing will be done before allowing a person that should have been a patient herself to treat others.

It's amazing Teleka was able to accomplish what she had in life. That's a difficult task for those without a mental illness. It bothers me that even though family knew things weren't right, and didn't believe Teleka's perception, the focus was placed on an innocent victim instead of stating the obvious that may have led to her being discovered sooner. Well maybe not, as LE knew the car was dangerous to drive from almost the onset, and knew the circumstances, and views from others. They had to think she was in that pond.

The entire case is just sad. It's one I won't soon forget.

This case has been sad from the beginning, and unfortunately had the worse outcome.

So many around her saw and knew things weren't right. No close loved ones to help guide, and encourage treatment. The signs were there, and very possible TP would NOT have voluntarily accepted treatment. Yet working in the area where there were experts, I'm sure some had concerns. Especially when the drug screen was negative. They had to realize 'something' was off. I wonder how closely her work was monitored? She hadn't been there long, yet symptoms were showing in the short time those working with her, and being around her noticed. I hope it's used as a growing and learning experience and in the future, more psychological testing will be done before allowing a person that should have been a patient herself to treat others.

It's amazing Teleka was able to accomplish what she had in life. That's a difficult task for those without a mental illness. It bothers me that even though family knew things weren't right, and didn't believe Teleka's perception, the focus was placed on an innocent victim instead of stating the obvious that may have led to her being discovered sooner. Well maybe not, as LE knew the car was dangerous to drive from almost the onset, and knew the circumstances, and views from others. They had to think she was in that pond.

The entire case is just sad. It's one I won't soon forget.

It truly is sad. I'm not sure what is required in Michigan to do an involuntary commitment but it usually is a danger to self or others. She obviously was to herself. JMO.

I don't think she would have been a involuntary commitment. She would have talked her way out of that, she was just that smart. Besides, she wasn't out to kill herself that night. What happened was an accident in my opinion.

Probably because you can't force people who are mentally ill to accept help when they are in denial.

And I think she was very good at hiding her illness to a large degree. They (school officials) likely knew about a couple of incidents and we're watching her but they probably didn't know about a lot of stuff. If Rev. Sapp, her family and friends, other residents and the administrators of the program all shared info, I think this would be a different story.

And I think she was very good at hiding her illness to a large degree. They (school officials) likely knew about a couple of incidents and we're watching her but they probably didn't know about a lot of stuff. If Rev. Sapp, her family and friends, other residents and the administrators of the program all shared info, I think this would be a different story.

Very true. I'm sure she was being watched closely at work.

I don't think she would have been a involuntary commitment. She would have talked her way out of that, she was just that smart. Besides, she wasn't out to kill herself that night. What happened was an accident in my opinion.

I know she didn't intend to do that but as it turned out she was a risk to her own safety.

It truly is sad. I'm not sure what is required in Michigan to do an involuntary commitment but it usually is a danger to self or others. She obviously was to herself. JMO.

No, I do not think she would have been...the danger she posed was NOT that obvious and she clearly was good at masking it or making up stories that seemed somewhat credible...the co-worker that dropped her off knew something was up but she says "I'm meeting someone there" and he didn't question it even tho in retrospect once she didn't show up for work I'll bet then he put two and two together and went to the supervisor and then maybe that is when the hospital decided they had to get ahold of family and the police based on maybe signs of being a little "off" they had seen in-house/program but were trying to address internally within the program....that would account for the rapidity of them letting the family know that they were planning on filing the missing report by 6pm that night if she had not shown up.

Very true. I'm sure she was being watched closely at work.
And that has always made me curious if anything "unusual" happened while she was at work that last day. If she was in such a state that evening where she believed demons were following her and she had to get out of there, I doubt that occurred only after she left the hospital and arrived at the hotel. I have believed from the onset she was fearful of going home, and that was part of the reason she went to the hotel to begin with. Driving the distance she did also, it seems very unlikely she intended to return to work the following day. She was running away, trying to outrun those demons, and sadly only drowning in the pond took them away.

:(

MOO

No, I do not think she would have been...the danger she posed was NOT that obvious and she clearly was good at masking it or making up stories that seemed somewhat credible...the co-worker that dropped her off knew something was up but she says "I'm meeting someone there" and he didn't question it even tho in retrospect once she didn't show up for work I'll bet then he put two and two together and went to the supervisor and then maybe that is when the hospital decided they had to get ahold of family and the police based on maybe signs of being a little "off" they had seen in-house/program but were trying to address internally within the program....that would account for the rapidity of them letting the family know that they were planning on filing the missing report by 6pm that night if she had not shown up.

I'm sure all that is true. But she still was a risk to herself.

You have to prove that someone is a risk to themselves or someone else in order to petition for treatment. Not a professional or in the same state but I do work in the field in a crisis psych clinic. Our law states someone must be a danger to themselves, someone else, or both. And it is all in the wording. I have seen petitions get dropped because a doc felt there was no explicit threat stated in the petition. Pretty much someone has to say they want to kill themselves or someone else or both. And that gets beyond frustrating for obvious reasons. That's why its so difficult.

You have to prove that someone is a risk to themselves or someone else in order to petition for treatment. Not a professional or in the same state but I do work in the field in a crisis psych clinic. Our law states someone must be a danger to themselves, someone else, or both. And it is all in the wording. I have seen petitions get dropped because a doc felt there was no explicit threat stated in the petition. Pretty much someone has to say they want to kill themselves or someone else or both. And that gets beyond frustrating for obvious reasons. That's why its so difficult.
I know all that as I am a retired certified psychiatric nurse. I know she did not meet criteria, but she still was her own worst enemy. JMO

When out to dinner earlier, I saw a beautiful woman with an amazing smile who was sitting alone. She reminded me so much of Dr. Patrick. I caught myself staring in awe and contemplating how Dr. Patrick could have done the same thing many times with others silently admiring her from afar. How elegant and stylish she appeared. A woman you could feel had depth and dimension. It left me saddened at the outcome of this case and yet it gave me a moment to reflect on the woman she had become in spite of such adversities.

RIP Dr. Patrick. You are not forgotten.

I wish they would have given us info about what was said at the reception desk at the Radisson.

I am curious about that information, too. However, IIRC, Dr. TP scarcely said a word to the front desk clerk. She simply stood there and stood there and stood there. In the CC video, you can watch the Radisson clerks carrying on with business as usual with her just standing there because Dr. Patrick was not speaking nor asking a bunch of questions. Then, it does show her exiting the lobby to approach the shuttle.

[video=youtube;ibVUTj-Y0tM]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ibVUTj-Y0tM[/video]

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jamiestews06
Back