Found Deceased MI - Dr. Teleka Patrick, 30, Kalamazoo, 5 Dec 2013 - #14

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
BTW I do not believe and am not stating that I think Teleka died by suicide.

I just want to be clear on that. I just felt the statement was excessive in that regard. It did not need to be said in the article.

Sleep well, beautiful Teleka. I hope your soul is finally at peace.

Ok...I'm teary-eyed, but I had to laugh! Talk about the most awkward debt collection EVER...

Well, like my grandfather always said: cry or laugh, your choice.

Speaking of debt... I've never gone to college; does anyone know what happens with student loans when the student passes away?

Sent from my Lite-Brite modded to run Free BSD.

O/T; Your sig is really funny. See so many "Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk"... BSD - Blue screen of death? lol

I personally found the hospital's released statement quite sterile, and terse, other than saying 'their prayers are with her family.' (paraphrasing)

They didn't say what a wonderful doctor she had been or how deeply the hospital staff would miss her. I thought that odd, but maybe not, maybe they knew more about Teleka than we think they did.

I disagree:

Laura Eller, a spokeswoman for Western Michigan University's medical school, said the first-year psychiatry resident was talented and well-liked by fellow residents and colleagues.

"She was highly intelligent," Eller said. "Outwardly, all signs pointed to her being a very, very good resident. We have a process for selecting residents for training and ... she met or exceeded those standards."

and

Borgess Hospital, where Patrick worked, released a statement Thursday reading, “We are heartbroken to hear of the death of Teleka Patrick. Our thoughts and prayers are with her family and loved ones. May she rest in peace.”

Read more: http://fox17online.com/news/stories/missing-kalamazoo-woman-teleka-patrick/#ixzz2yPkVWy7T

Speaking of debt... I've never gone to college; does anyone know what happens with student loans when the student passes away?

O/T; Your sig is really funny. See so many "Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk"... BSD - Blue screen of death? lol
When you die your debt is gone:fence:

If it's a federal loan, it would be discharged.

If it's a private loan (bank offered student loan), they would try to collect from the estate. If there's no estate, they would look to a co-signer and/or spouse. If you have none of those things, it looks like they would again, be forced to discharge the debt.

http://abcnews.go.com/Business/student-loans-die/story?id=19460467

I disagree:

Laura Eller, a spokeswoman for Western Michigan University's medical school, said the first-year psychiatry resident was talented and well-liked by fellow residents and colleagues.

"She was highly intelligent," Eller said. "Outwardly, all signs pointed to her being a very, very good resident. We have a process for selecting residents for training and ... she met or exceeded those standards."

and

Borgess Hospital, where Patrick worked, released a statement Thursday reading, “We are heartbroken to hear of the death of Teleka Patrick. Our thoughts and prayers are with her family and loved ones. May she rest in peace.”

Read more: http://fox17online.com/news/stories/missing-kalamazoo-woman-teleka-patrick/#ixzz2yPkVWy7T

Did a search with my browser; it's not picking any of the words up on the link. Do you remember which story it was in?

If it's a federal loan, it would be discharged.

If it's a private loan (bank offered student loan), they would try to collect from the estate. If there's no estate, they would look to a co-signer and/or spouse. If you have none of those things, it looks like they would again, be forced to discharge the debt.

http://abcnews.go.com/Business/student-loans-die/story?id=19460467

Thank you. I know it's pretty hard to get rid of student loans. They take it out of any government assistance people have too. I know it can't be claimed on bankruptcy.

The FB detectives on the unofficial Teleka pages are further off the deep end than they have ever been.

Are you suggesting that the hospital should have been checking her social media for mental illness? It seems to me, that she hid her issues from people in real like and exposed them on the internet. I don't think it's the hospital's responsibility to stalk social media. I do think anyone calling themselves her friend and seeing everything she posting, seriously failed her.
I believe she was successful in giving the appearance at work. She discussed this topic in her tweets numerous times, talked about keeping to herself at work, and not revealing her "voices" to anyone. I think that was the reason for all the twitter accounts, it was her attempt to keep it private. She often referred to deleting facebook messages and tweets because she didn't want them to be revealed. She knew she was taking risks but sadly she just couldn't stop herself.

This is sad but I expected it to end this way. My heart goes out to her family and friends. The whole world searched for Taleka.

Find Teleka FB 5 hrs -
“Through the Lord’s mercies we are not consumed, because His compassions fail not. They are new every morning; Great is Your faithfulness.”Lamentations 3:22-23

Over the past several months, you have gotten to know Teleka Cassandra Patrick. You’ve gotten to know her how we knew her and you’ve seen her bright and caring smile. She was beautiful, intelligent, and God-fearing. You’ve prayed for Teleka, cried for Teleka, and worked to find Teleka and we thank you. We thank you for walking this difficult journey with our family.

Teleka’s death is not the ending we had hoped for, however, the journey does not end here. As we mourn Teleka, we must also honor her; honor the life she led, honor her kind spirit and honor her devotion to God and others. Teleka had a passion and zest for life and no matter the circumstances that led up to her death, we are certain that she would not have taken her own life. Many questions remain, but what is certain is that we will love her forever and her legacy will continue to live on in the love we show to others.

Thank you for your prayers. Please respect our privacy in this difficult time.

The Patrick Family

Wonder if Jim Carlin's post will get removed...
Thank you to all who prayed and supported us over these last four difficult months. It was not the resolution we had hoped for, but at least the Patrick family will be able to go to their beloved daughter's final resting place to grieve and talk to her. Too many other families in these tragic circumstances often never know where their loved ones may have gone. I know that the faith that helped the Patrick will continue, and the Lord will comfort them going forth

It depends on several factors. Was the spouse a co-signer? Do you live in what is called a "community property" state? Also what kind of loan you have (private vs. Federal) is also a factor.

So in short, it can be complicated if you are married.

As a licensed psychologist, I believe it is entirely possible to hide mental illness from superiors. I know that for a fact, as I know folks who have done that and been successful. There is a difference between being quirky, having unusual gestures, etc., vs being delusional and out of touch with reality.

If everyone that seemed 'odd' was pegged for a mental illness, then we'd be labeling a good chunk of the population.

BUT - even if they had known that she had a mental illness - what could they have done? If her patients were cared for, if she were performing well on the job, if there was no concern for her safety or that of others, then taking action would be discrimination. I have worked with and gone to grad school with people who were actively seeking treatment - even being hospitalized intermittently. They were still allowed to continue. Anything otherwise would be violating their rights (which can only be taken away if their safety or someone else's is at risk).

In a hospital? They would have placed her on medical leave while she was evaluated. Lawsuits are real and hospitals CANNOT allow individuals who are acting erratically (not saying she was but IF she was) work among those who are infirm.

Borgess is in a very delicate position.

BTW I do not believe and am not stating that I think Teleka died by suicide.

I just want to be clear on that. I just felt the statement was excessive in that regard. It did not need to be said in the article.

I'm sorry if their statement hurt and offended you. I really am.

But don't take it personally because I get the impression that those closest to TP were all about keeping appearances and are very worried about what their community of friends, family, church members, etc. will think and say about this whole situation.

That statement was odd and in the depth of grief, your average family would have not even bothered to even mention it but I also found the statement to almost allude to foul play--which is also quite sad, especially for MS.

But what can you say?

This is going off topic, but I have student loans from law school - mine are all federal. My husband has some from undergrad. When I consolidated my own loans about 9 years ago, I had just gotten married. At the time, I asked if my husband and I should combine our student loans together into one "consolidation", so we just have one payment. I was advised against it in case one of us died before the loans were paid off. Apparently, if we had combined our loans, the surviving spouse would remain responsible for the deceased spouse's student loan debt. If we didn't combine the loans, than the deceased's federal loans would be discharged. Needless to say, we are still making two payments to this day. This info applies to federal loans, private loans are a whole 'nother matter altogether, and I don't know anything about it. Hope I never do.

The more you know...

Teleka's family has probably experienced great difficulty accepting that their daughter/sister was mentally ill. Any hint of the possibility that Dr. Patrick could have taken her own life is likely to cause extreme discomfort. I hope and :please: that Teleka's family will eventually come to terms with the reality of her mental illness and the role that it might have played in her untimely death. :rose:

I wonder if we will ever find out the exact words that were spoken between the male concierge at the Radisson Hotel and Dr. Patrick that evening?. I've often wondered if that small piece of paper (?) Teleka produced from her pocket was just a blank piece of paper...empty of words. In her delusional state, the item appeared to have some relevance to her though in reality it was just a worn out scrap piece of paper left over in her coat pocket.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DeeKay
Back