MI MI - Eric Franks, 40, Buena Vista Twp, 21 March 2011 - #1

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.

Here is the entire text of the article since it is a subscription site. We were generally pleased with the article.

Franks Feared Dead By Police, Family

Eric Franks, son of Joann Franks, Archbold, has been missing and is feared dead by police and family members.

Reports say he was last seen in March of 2011 at Miller’s Motel in Bridgeport, Mich.

Since then, there has been no contact with friends or family, and the car he was driving has disappeared as well.

Lived In Archbold

Joann Franks said her son moved to Archbold in 2008. He left in late 2010 to be near a former girlfriend who lives in Buena Vista Township in the Saginaw, Mich., area.

While there, he lived at the motel while working odd jobs in the area.

J. Franks said while Eric was living at the motel, he kept in touch with family by phone calls, email messages, and photos sent home.

She said March 10, 2011, was the last time any of his family or friends heard from him.

Greg Klecker, Buena Vista Township police sergeant, said the last reported sighting of Eric was on March 21, 2011. The girlfriend told police he was with her at the motel on that date, but J. Franks said another witness disputed her claim.

J. Franks owns the car Eric was driving at the time of his disappearance. She officially filed a stolen car report on Thursday, Sept. 13, over a year after the car went missing.

She had filed a request for a check of her son’s welfare in November 2011. Archbold police only recently released the report.

Klecker said E. Franks and the car are now listed on the National Crime Information Center computer system. If a law enforcement officer stops Eric or the car, the Buena Vista Township police request for information will come up.

Active, But...

Klecker said the Buena Vista Township police are still treating the Franks case as an active investigation, but there is no tangible evidence to link the disappearance to any suspect.

“We’ve interviewed the girlfriend,” he said.

“We can’t tie (the disappearance) to anyone, because there’s no physical evidence.”

Klecker said the culture of Saginaw is different from that of Archbold.

“We’re in a high-crime area. There’s nothing to rule out that he got hooked up with some local people” and was killed, he said.

The township police department has been investigating the case.

“I’m looking at the file right now,” Klecker said. “It’s two or three inches thick.”–David Pugh

BBM

searchingfamily,

Have you asked the BVPD to request the MSP to "get involved?" If not, you have nothing to lose by asking them (except more time and an even colder trail).

We've asked via email. They ignore the question in responses.

Hey guys,
Great news! The reporter emailed me back and here is his reply...

Hi *advertiser censored*,
Thanks so much for the information. I was hasty in writing the story and should have checked a little more with the detectives on how he left the motel. My apologies. Could you please keep in touch with me on this. I would really like to know more. If any of Eric’s family comes up here, I would like to talk to them.
Thanks so much,
Terry

Terry left me his cell number. Searching Family, If you would like it please let me know and I will get it to you!!

Yes, please PM his contact info to us.

We are planning a trip there - keep putting it off in hopes of being able to get an appt. with BVPD detective, but no luck with that after repeated requests. We know he's busy with a murder trial of a former BVPD officer, but..we'd really like a meeting.

I am thinking that Mr. Police Chief, is beginning to hear the squeaky wheel, which has been needing oil for some time now. I am wondering if since the posters are now up, and there is a reporter who has written a new article, and is interested, if perhaps now someone on that police department may take a real interest in what happened to Eric and how did it happen??

My thought is to keep the pressure on; both the police and the egf.

DO keep in mind that, as much as we wish we could get a greater amount of their time/ attention, that BVPD is't even technically the department that should be running the investigation. They took it on after Bridgeport Twp. PD did a cursory "investigation" (i.e. one visit to the motel) and declared "case closed." Anything BVPD does is actually a huge help, given that they only reason they got involved is because Bridgeport Twp. blew it off, and because the eGF lived in BV.

We are frustrated that we can't get an appointment, but at the same time we know that they don't HAVE to be doing anything, and if we didn't have them......

The reason another article was finally ran is because BVPD put out the PR again with a request to have hunters BOLO as they take to the woods this year.

Don't give up! Keep it in the news and online. Let everyone know you are still after answers. Have you considered posting in Archbold at all? You never know who might know something. Wishing you the best in finding Eric and information about him.

We've looked into reporting it stolen, but Archbold PD won't do it - not stolen from there. Buena Vista won't do it - they say no evidence it was stolen - just in the possession of someone who had permission. Police also say BOLO and stolen will both result in finding the car if it's in the road - only difference is in how Eric is treated when they find him.

Someone I know reported a truck and truck camper stolen to the local police, the guy parked it outside of work before midnight, and a cop said he'd driven past there about an hour later, and it wasn't there. Anyhow, years later, I think it was, the owners found out the police never entered it into NCIC or wherever or anywhere it should have been logged/reported.
Different case, same situation. Car was stolen, reported to local police and they just sat on their hands. After a few weeks, the wife was driving somewhere and lo and behold, there goes her car. She tried to follow it and lost them, called the local police there and they said, stolen? It's not reported stolen.
Sorry, one more. This guy was murdered and they took his truck. The killer was driving his truck all over town. The cops weren't even looking for the killer, so why should they concern themselves with his truck? Eventually, I think the military did something to get them to move their butts. But I do know the murder was committed in the house the guy lived in, and that's where they got his truck, and the cops were the ones that were supposed to investigate the killing.
So I don't have much faith in BOLOs sometimes.

I'm just trying to ferret out a motive (if there is one). The common denominator is the child. I'm assuming other than the child and the mother, he didn't really know anyone in Michigan.

The only way an insurance policy would pay out is if he was named the father on the birth certificate.

That's not true. I don't know if this is something where the laws vary from state to state, but the person applying for the policy doesn't even have to be the person that's insured. Business partners apparently are known to take out insurance policies on each other.
In the one case I can quote all the particulars on, the husband and wife were separated. There was a child. The child saw the mail come in with mom's name on it at Dad's house, so child put it in pocket and took it home to mom. Dad had applied for an insurance policy on mom's life, naming him (the husband/Dad) the beneficiary. She called the insurance company and told them to skip the policy. It's bothered me ever since.
Anyone can take an insurance policy out on anyone and name themselves as beneficiary, and the insured doesn't even have to know there's an insurance policy there. To me, that's scary. The insured should be notified the insurance policy or application exists and who did it. I guess an exception could be when the parents take out a policy on a minor child. These things don't usually raise a red flag, but this should.
Another thing. Does anyone remember the TV docudrama 'A Matter of Justice'? A young Marine married a young woman, and they had a child. The Marine was murdered, I believe by the wife's bf. The wife somehow escaped charges, but the child was declared the beneficiary of the million dollar policy, by default or something, and there was some tug of war over custody of the child. In the movie, they inferred the mother only wanted the child because the child was the one with the money. The grandparents loved the child, but their son had been an only child, so the baby was their only grandchild. They loved the child and wanted the child independent of the money. Patty Duke played the grandmother.
If you don't believe me, and hey, who am I as far as you know? Call up an insurance salesman and ask them about life insurance, but get someone that knows what they're talking about.
Find out what the laws are in your area.

I'm just trying to ferret out a motive (if there is one). The common denominator is the child. I'm assuming other than the child and the mother, he didn't really know anyone in Michigan.

The only way an insurance policy would pay out is if he was named the father on the birth certificate.

I think you hit on a great angle with the insurance policy. For all anyone knows, the exGF may have had a policy on him for years with the child as beneficiary, and she may have lured him there.
SF, do you think he'd go there thinking he and the mom and the child were going to be a family unless she gave him reason to think that was going to happen? She was married. Did he know she was married? Things just don't add up.

Searchingfamily, I'm wondering if this ex gf got preggers by accident due to an open relationship she had with her hubby and maybe kept it secret from Eric bc she didn't want to share their child... Is it possible that maybe she didn't expect Eric to move there, but he did, so she got mad? Just wondering if it's possible Eric wanted to be a part of his child's life but the ex gf wasn't prepared for it happening so quickly.

I'm still stuck on why she had to tell Eric about the child, like really she didn't have to...unless she's dying or their child has a debilitating disease such as something in his blood or serious illness. I wonder what the reason would be. Is it possible that the child could have something inherited from his father that maybe his father wasn't aware of even having it himself yet, so a doctor told the ex gf to contact the child's dad? Or at least contact him to obtain med history?

Pure speculation with no malicious intent. :hug:

I'm way back here again, and I haven't caught up yet, but I wanted to say I think this is another great possibility. Some things just seem to fit, and this line of thinking seems to fit the pieces we know.

Maybe she thought the child was her husband's but as the child got older, the resemblance to Eric was evident and she confronted him for $$$$$.

This case could go one of two ways.

1) He found out about the child and child support was too much for him to handle so he took off.

2) Foul play.

From what has been revealed so far, what would the motive be for the ex or her husband to harm Eric? He refused to give her child support? I just don't see any motive at all. Yes, perhaps we are missing many more pieces of this puzzle but as of right now, there really isn't anything to go on as far as foul play goes, imo.

BBM
I think the insurance angle and the medical problem with the child are two good possibilities. But the foul play would be a possibility if the exgf and her husband didn't want Eric hanging around, and he didn't want to leave.

We're not talking the Hilton here. It's a motel. Owner told police he paid in advance for the week he was there, then says eGF was there alone checking him out a few days later...

So, to clarify, SF, are you saying he paid for past the time the exGF came and got his stuff?

In the area - only motel owner and housekeeper as far as we know, and police have talked to both. He had a few friends from other places - he dropped out of contact with them same time as everything else stopped. They are worried too.

Are any of LE biased? Related to the husband or wife? Friends with them? Friends with the dad or mom of one or the other? Neighbors? Old high school friends?

I was just guessing that jealously could have existed if he and the mother were reconnecting. It was just a guess

Jealousy still could be motive if they had no children together, the eGF and her husband. Are there other children or is it possible he wasn't able to make babies, too? And it could be motive if it was just that here's this bio father from before their marriage coming back and wants in the child's life, and maybe he was jealous and afraid the child and the eGF were preferring Eric over him.
Several people have made comments about Eric's lack of steady employment, what makes everyone so sure the husband is any better in the long run than Eric?
Also, how was Eric's personality? An all around nice guy? What if the husband of eGF isn't such a catch compared to Eric? What if the guy was jealous and things came to a head and the guy did hit Eric and he got hurt worse than the guy intended? The eGF is married to him, is she going to give him up for someone he killed?
I think jealousy is another reasonable theory. That makes three of them.

If I ever catch up am I going to be so mortified over my comments from 15 pages ago?

Yes, please PM his contact info to us.

We are planning a trip there - keep putting it off in hopes of being able to get an appt. with BVPD detective, but no luck with that after repeated requests. We know he's busy with a murder trial of a former BVPD officer, but..we'd really like a meeting.

He's busy with a murder trial of a former BVPD officer, okay. But if you're willing and wanting to drive 4.5 hrs to see him, shouldn't he be able to find an hour or so to meet with you? Maybe your distance is more of a deterrent than you realize. If you lived in the area, how often would you be 'dropping by' the police station to find out if 'they have anything new'?

He's busy with a murder trial of a former BVPD officer, okay. But if you're willing and wanting to drive 4.5 hrs to see him, shouldn't he be able to find an hour or so to meet with you? Maybe your distance is more of a deterrent than you realize. If you lived in the area, how often would you be 'dropping by' the police station to find out if 'they have anything new'?

BBM

I have thought, for as long as I've been reading Eric's thread, that Eric's family needs an advocate, and it would be best if that advocate was local to his last known whereabouts. I believe I have suggested that before, but it's been a long day, and I am not going to have a chance now to look through my earlier posts.

As my late mother used to say, "the wheel that squeaks the loudest gets the most grease." Perhaps it may be a better idea for searching family to telephone, rather than email as they have been doing, the BVPD. Can't hurt, and it may help.....

That's not true. I don't know if this is something where the laws vary from state to state, but the person applying for the policy doesn't even have to be the person that's insured. Business partners apparently are known to take out insurance policies on each other.
In the one case I can quote all the particulars on, the husband and wife were separated. There was a child. The child saw the mail come in with mom's name on it at Dad's house, so child put it in pocket and took it home to mom. Dad had applied for an insurance policy on mom's life, naming him (the husband/Dad) the beneficiary. She called the insurance company and told them to skip the policy. It's bothered me ever since.
Anyone can take an insurance policy out on anyone and name themselves as beneficiary, and the insured doesn't even have to know there's an insurance policy there. To me, that's scary. The insured should be notified the insurance policy or application exists and who did it. I guess an exception could be when the parents take out a policy on a minor child. These things don't usually raise a red flag, but this should.
Another thing. Does anyone remember the TV docudrama 'A Matter of Justice'? A young Marine married a young woman, and they had a child. The Marine was murdered, I believe by the wife's bf. The wife somehow escaped charges, but the child was declared the beneficiary of the million dollar policy, by default or something, and there was some tug of war over custody of the child. In the movie, they inferred the mother only wanted the child because the child was the one with the money. The grandparents loved the child, but their son had been an only child, so the baby was their only grandchild. They loved the child and wanted the child independent of the money. Patty Duke played the grandmother.
If you don't believe me, and hey, who am I as far as you know? Call up an insurance salesman and ask them about life insurance, but get someone that knows what they're talking about.
Find out what the laws are in your area.

You are correct about the insurance policy. I work in HR and our principals have life insurance policies on each other. In our case, the each others know about it, but you do not have to let someone know that you have a life insurane policy on them. Stupid, I agree.

Now, in order to CLAIM benefits, i.e. the policy payout, you MUST produce a certified death certificate, OR court papers showing the person has been declared legally deceased.

With that said, my opinion is that something went wrong, something sinister happened and they ran.

more thoughts on the child:

Eric was there five months. From what you have said, Searchingfamily, he wanted to meet his child, was excited, etc. That being said what would cause he to up and leave when he planned on relocating there. After five months I would think he would have started a relationship with his child.

As for the exgf's story about California: has the bolo been extended to California to include where he used to live? (fwiw I do not believe her story)

BBM
Everyone that agrees with nursebeeme raise your hand.

:aktion::aktion::aktion::aktion::aktion::aktion:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member