GUILTY MI - Gabby Barrett, 4, dies of burns, Sumpter Twp, 1 Jan 2018 *B. Fields GUILTY*

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Don't they need to get them stablized first to exhibit that they are of sound mind and therefore able to stand trial?

That's what I was thinking as well.

Next hearing is Probable Cause on Jan. 31st @ 9am CT.

State: End parental rights of Sumpter couple
http://www.detroitnews.com/story/ne...r-killing-parental-rights-children/109802262/

The Sumpter Township couple charged in the death of the woman’s 4-year-old daughter will go to trial on a state’s petition to have their parental rights severed for a younger child the couple share.
[.....]
A trial date was scheduled for April 24 through May 4 and is expected to last at least two weeks. Another pre-trial hearing is scheduled for 9 a.m. April 23. About a dozen witnesses are expected to be called to testify, an attorney for the state of Michigan told the judge Thursday.

more at link

How likely is it that we will ever be able to sterilize people like this? That's what I thought of instantly when I saw the case. No one deserves to be born to a parent like this. No one.

How likely is it that we will ever be able to sterilize people like this? That's what I thought of instantly when I saw the case. No one deserves to be born to a parent like this. No one.

As a free nation, we can't consider sterilization but I do hope a creative and forward thinking someone will come up with a way to monitor children more closely. When parents prove they aren't fit to have little ones in their care, second chances shouldn't be an option.

:bump: up for today's hearing:

*Probable Cause Hearing (@ 9am CT) - MI - Gabrielle "Gabby" Barrett (4) (Jan. 1, 2018 died due to severe burns) - Candice Renea Diaz (24) "mom" & Brad Edward Fields (28) BF - charged with 4 counts: felony murder, 2nd degree murder, 1st degree child abuse & torture. Held without bond. Prelim hearing on Feb. 7th @ 10am
State officials have begun legal proceedings to sever the couple's parental rights to Diaz's other daughter and Gabrielle's half-sister. A hearing on the state's petition is scheduled for Jan. 25 in Wayne County Circuit Court.
A trial date to sever parental rights was scheduled for April 24 through May 4 and is expected to last at least two weeks. Another pre-trial hearing is scheduled for 9 a.m. April 23. About a dozen witnesses are expected to be called to testify, an attorney for the state of Michigan told the judge Thursday
The state's court petition also said both Diaz and Fields have criminal histories. Diaz is on probation for 2016 convictions for carrying a concealed weapon and possession of prescription forms. Fields has convictions for interfering with a police investigation, third-degree retail fraud and carrying a concealed weapon.

Magistrate DiSanto entered not guilty pleas for them and marked their files as mental health so they can receive mental health services in custody on Jan. 20th.

Couple to get competency exam in girl’s torture death
http://www.detroitnews.com/story/ne...township-couple-girl-death-hearing/109971984/

Romulus — A Sumpter Township couple accused of torturing, burning and killing the woman’s 4-year-old daughter will be evaluated by doctors to determine if they are competent to stand trial.
[.....]
During both hearings, Diaz’s attorney, Sarah Krause, and Fields’ attorney Timothy Wrather, requested 90-day stays so their clients can be examined by doctors to determine if they are mentally competent to stand trial.

The attorneys also asked for forensic reviews to determine if they were competent to waive their Miranda rights — an unusual request, according to the judge.
[.....]
Both defendants will be referred to the Michigan Department of Human Services Center for Forensic Psychiatry in Saline for the evaluations.
[.....]
After Diaz’s hearing, Jerry Barrett, Gabrielle’s grandfather, said he was angry about the order to put the case on hold.

“It’s ridiculous,” he said. “They know they did it. They fled, got caught — and now they can’t stand a trial?”

During an earlier hearing, Wrather asked for mental treatment for both defendants. His requests for a $100,000 bonds were denied. Wrather said Fields suffers from mental illness.

Parrott on Wednesday continued the order for no bond.
[.....]
A preliminary examination is scheduled for Feb. 7.

re bold - I totally agree with the grandfather!

:bump: up for today's hearing:

Wednesday, February 7th:
*Prelim Hearing (@ 10am CT) - MI - Gabrielle "Gabby" Barrett (4) (Jan. 1, 2018 died due to severe burns) - Candice Renea Diaz (24) "mom" & Brad Edward Fields (28) BF - charged with 4 counts: felony murder, 2nd degree murder, 1st degree child abuse & torture. Held without bond.
State officials have begun legal proceedings to sever the couple's parental rights to Diaz's other daughter and Gabrielle's half-sister. A hearing on the state's petition was scheduled for Jan. 25 in Wayne County Circuit Court. A trial date to sever parental rights was scheduled for April 24 through May 4 and is expected to last at least two weeks. Another pre-trial hearing is scheduled for 9 a.m. April 23. About a dozen witnesses are expected to be called to testify, an attorney for the state of Michigan told the judge Thursday The state's court petition also said both Diaz and Fields have criminal histories. Diaz is on probation for 2016 convictions for carrying a concealed weapon and possession of prescription forms. Fields has convictions for interfering with a police investigation, third-degree retail fraud and carrying a concealed weapon.
Magistrate DiSanto entered not guilty pleas for them and marked their files as mental health so they can receive mental health services in custody on Jan. 20th.

Anyone "see" an updates on what happened yesterday??

TIA!

Nothing new, Niner. Thank you for keeping this updated as best you can.

:bump: up again to see if anyone has seen any updates for court dates....

:rose: Gabby :rose:

This one really gets to me... The "melted skin" in the drain. Shudder. I tried to research the temperature necessary to actually melt skin, and didn't find much. But scalding and burns I've heard of. Literally melted not so much. Like my ex's dad was scalded badly as a child from hot water and steam and fifty years later still had a melted look to him but not literally melted.

Would one's water heater even get up to a high enough temperature to do that? I'm thinking in order to do the damage we're hearing about they had to actually heat up water to get and maintain a temperature to do that kind of damage. It seems like it would have to have prolonged exposure to very hot water to cause actual melting? Enough that she lost a toe?

This case is so particularly horrific!

This one really gets to me... The "melted skin" in the drain. Shudder. I tried to research the temperature necessary to actually melt skin, and didn't find much. But scalding and burns I've heard of. Literally melted not so much. Like my ex's dad was scalded badly as a child from hot water and steam and fifty years later still had a melted look to him but not literally melted.

Would one's water heater even get up to a high enough temperature to do that? I'm thinking in order to do the damage we're hearing about they had to actually heat up water to get and maintain a temperature to do that kind of damage. It seems like it would have to have prolonged exposure to very hot water to cause actual melting? Enough that she lost a toe?

I think they had to boil water to get to a temperature to cause so much damage. I agree...absolutely horrific.

So no one has found a next court date yet?

TIA!

OT: I just wanted to say how much we all appreciate the updates you give us on so many cases, Niner. You are such a treasured asset for WS, and all of its posters whether they are guests or members.

If I want to get updates on pending cases all I have to do is search for your posts. Thank you so much for all you do my sweet longtime friend.

Well, this answers my question about LE not removing this sweet child after the 2016 domestic incident...

https://www.freep.com/story/news/lo...eath-4-year-old-waive-extradition/1024189001/

“ ...there were no children in the custody of Diaz and/or Fields at that time.” Gabrielle was with her grandmother at the time in another jurisdiction and “had reportedly been for a long time.” “Our current investigation has revealed that the victim just recently moved into the Greenmeadow Dr. residence (late summer 2017) to attend school in the area,”

Good lord, Gabby was only in that home about 4 months.
:tears::tears::tears:

Was this the same grandma who had HER parental rights removed??? If so, why would anyone leave a child with someone that couldn't raise their own child? Though, it must be said, the child was alive while with Grandma. But, were injuries sustained then too?

I did a little research and it appears that scalds are a function of water temperature and time. For example, water at 120F (the recommended setting for water heaters) can cause a serious burn within 10 minutes while 140F can cause a burn within 3 seconds! And children and old people have thinner skin and will be burned faster than those in between.

I couldn't find a specific time/temp that causes human skin to actually slough off but If I had to guess I'd say time is a big factor so IMO Gabby was immersed in water somewhere around 120F-140F for a prolonged period, only because even very old water heaters (1970's) were set at max 140F, down from 160F previously. And again, the time determines the severity of the burn.

http://www.burnfoundation.org/programs/resource.cfm?c=1&a=3
https://www.pmengineer.com/articles/92668-the-history-of-hot-water-temperatures
http://www.accuratebuilding.com/services/legal/charts/hot_water_burn_scalding_graph.pdf

:offtopic:

OT: I just wanted to say how much we all appreciate the updates you give us on so many cases, Niner. You are such a treasured asset for WS, and all of its posters whether they are guests or members.

If I want to get updates on pending cases all I have to do is search for your posts. Thank you so much for all you do my sweet longtime friend.

:wave: You are quite welcome! :)

Now that I'm retired, I need to do "something", so I've started lists for all the cases I'm following. If you are interested in any others that I'm not aware of please let me know, and I'll go and catch up on the case and add it to my list! :online:

So, no update on a court date??

TIA!

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
telecrushxx