MI MI - James 'Jimmy' Hoffa, 62, Bloomfield Hills, 30 July 1975

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
One fine spring morning, many years ago, the alarm clock radio awakened us to an story about how Pepsi would be projecting their logo onto the moon. It was a serious report, and it went into detail about the technology. All day long, I told people about the moon. That evening, watching the moon rise with a heavy heart, I cheered with joy when I saw the bright clear moon without a Pepsi logo!

Needless to say, it was April 1st.:crazy: They got me good!:clap:

The Hoffa story didn't get me as bad, because everyone knows Hoffa is buried under The Meadowlands...and that's in Jersey.:crazy:

Am I the only 1 who thinks this prank should not have been done? Jimmy Hoffa had family and people who cared very much about him, can you imagine being one of his loved ones and seeing this today.

VB

Didn't you mean to say Family?

Just kidding, Vegas Bride, sometimes ya gotta just laugh.

(I'll tell you how I really feel about the mob perhaps in a serious thread one day..)

*Sigh*

This should explain it:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rickroll

Come on, true crime folks, look at other parts of the Internet every now and then!

Ah. I still loves ya. :)
I rarely venture elsewhere on the internet, lol. I don't claim to be a sleuth, that's for sure!! The wiki article explains it a little for me - so that video was really the original singer of that song? I've heard it before, but would've thought it was an older man singing, not some young geeky kid. Too funny that all YouTube links went to that video, per your wikipedia link:
On April 1, 2008 (April Fools' Day), all YouTube Featured Videos hyperlinked to the Rickroll. The prank began with international YouTube portals before affecting the main site.

Didn't you mean to say Family?

Just kidding, Vegas Bride, sometimes ya gotta just laugh.

(I'll tell you how I really feel about the mob perhaps in a serious thread one day..)

Nothing wrong with laughing, I enjoyed a really good laugh earlier watching Dancing With The Stars when Steve G. danced a tango with another man. :)

But can you imagine if this prank was done only instead of saying Hoffa, it was that Natalie Holloways body was found? I doubt that Beth would find it very amusing just like I doubt any of Mr Hoffas family did.

VB

Nothing wrong with laughing, I enjoyed a really good laugh earlier watching Dancing With The Stars when Steve G. danced a tango with another man. :)

But can you imagine if this prank was done only instead of saying Hoffa, it was that Natalie Holloways body was found? I doubt that Beth would find it very amusing just like I doubt any of Mr Hoffas family did.

VB

Jimmy Hoffa and his whole entire Family can rot in hell. And I can laugh about it. Got it?

Truly, this sounds like a story waiting to be told. If you want to of course. If not, I understand.

The Hoffa disappearance is pop culture fair game, Vegas Bride. Hoffa's disappearance has been subject to jokes since it happened. Late night monologues, you name it. I can personally recall hearing Jimmy Hoffa jokes on Saturday Night Live in the late 70s and on the Tonight Show when Johnny Carson was still the host. (Wow. Sometimes I realize I'm older now.)

As a result, you can't take the writer of the article, Ms. Casey, to task about it without taking a few thousand other writers and comedians to task for about 33 years worth of writing and jokes. She was following a long tradition of using the Hoffa disappearance in a humorous way. I wish I'd thought of it -- it was pretty cleverly done.

And I probably should reference you to Truly above, as well as a movie made about Hoffa starring Jack Nicholson. Jimmy Hoffa wasn't a good guy, and I think his family knew it. In short, we just aren't talking about anyone here. If the story had been about Natalee Holloway or been a long joke about JonBenet, I would have felt as you do. But it wasn't.

Sorry if you knew this already, but the tone of your posts about this made me think you might not really know who Hoffa was or the history behind his vanishing.

Steve

VB

I kind of said this in a post above, then I re-read what you wrote here. Comparing Hoffa to Natalee Holloway isn't just apples to oranges, it's like apples to rusty barbed wire. There's no comparing the two, save that both disappeared under mysterious circumstances.

A joke post about the Holloway disappearance would have been the height of tastelessness. Right or wrong, a joke post about Hoffa is just part of a 3-decades-long tradition.

And he was a VERY different person in radically different circumstances from Natalee. We're talking one of the Olson twins vs. Tony Soprano here.

Steve

I rarely venture elsewhere on the internet, lol. I don't claim to be a sleuth, that's for sure!! The wiki article explains it a little for me - so that video was really the original singer of that song? I've heard it before, but would've thought it was an older man singing, not some young geeky kid. Too funny that all YouTube links went to that video, per your wikipedia link:

That's the original singer. A lot of people thought he was a black guy in his 40s, but Rick really sounds like that. A pretty gifted voice for a pop singer.

I kind of resembled Rick Astley (especially the hair) when I entered college to major in classical voice (opera). My nickname was Opie Domingo for a while because I sounded one way if you just heard my voice coming from a practice room, but I looked very different from what people expected. I find that people rarely look the way they sound. No medium proves that as well as radio, let me tell ya that.

Steve

That's the original singer. A lot of people thought he was a black guy in his 40s, but Rick really sounds like that. A pretty gifted voice for a pop singer.
<snipped>
Steve

Thanks, Steve. I remember the song well, but really had no idea who the singer was. Looking at the video now, it's sooooo cheesey, but back in the 80's was probably pretty hip. I wasn't allowed to watch MTV growing up. LOL.

There have been quite a few books and TV programs about Jimmy Hoffa's disappearance. This year will mark 35 years since this unsolved mystery began.

I fear he'll be the Judge Crater of his generation.

There have been quite a few books and TV programs about Jimmy Hoffa's disappearance. This year will mark 35 years since this unsolved mystery began.

It has now been 35 years since Jimmy Hoffa was last seen.

Some remains were found this week in the Lower Peninsula, MI, and identified as having been from a few decades ago. When I checked the Doe Network for potential matches, lo and behold, up popped Jimmy Hoffa. While I don't believe that this recent discovery up in Oscada is JH, it caused me to do a search on WS. I couldn't find a thread for Jimmy! Say what?

I suppose that this thread belongs in the cold case threads, but I thought it made sense to start if off here. So, WS'ers, let's kick it off.

First, here is JH's Doe Network page:
http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/2106dmmi.html

From Wikipedia:
Jimmy Hoffa - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Hoffa was last seen in late July 1975, outside the Machus Red Fox, a suburban Detroit restaurant.

From the Wikipedia link above:

Hoffa disappeared at, or sometime after, 2:45 pm on July 30, 1975, from the parking lot of the Machus Red Fox Restaurant in Bloomfield Township, an affluent suburb of Detroit. According to what he had told others, he believed he was to meet there with two Mafia leaders—Anthony Giacalone and Anthony Provenzano.[19] Provenzano was also a union leader with the Teamsters in New Jersey, and had earlier been quite close to Hoffa. Provenzano was a national vice-president with IBT from 1961, Hoffa's second term as Teamsters' president.[14]

When Hoffa did not return home that evening, his wife reported him missing. Police found Hoffa's car at the restaurant but no sign of Hoffa himself or any indication of what happened to him. Extensive investigations into the disappearance began immediately, and continued over the next several years by several law enforcement groups, including the FBI. However, the investigations did not conclusively determine Hoffa's fate. For their part, Giacalone and Provenzano were found not to have been near the restaurant that afternoon, and each denied they had scheduled a meeting with Hoffa.[20]

Hoffa was declared legally dead in 1982, on the seventh anniversary of his disappearance, when he would have been aged 69

If I had a dollar for every different place I remember hearing that Hoffa was buried or disposed of over the years, I'd at least probably have $25-30. While it's not much money, that is lots of different places!

Good thread, rich in possibilities for discussion.

If I had a dollar for every different place I remember hearing that Hoffa was buried or disposed of over the years, I'd at least probably have $25-30. While it's not much money, that is lots of different places!

Good thread, rich in possibilities of discussion.

Well, for one of those dollars, wfgodot, I'll go straight to one of your 'favorite' sources...the Daily Mail.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2078470/Teamsters-boss-Jimmy-Hoffa-buried-cement-General-Motors-HQ.html

But now, nearly four decades after Hoffa vanished, his driver has claimed he knows where he is buried &#8211; and how he got there.

Marvin Elkind said Hoffa was killed by a mob enforcer and buried in the foundations of the towering General Motors&#8217; HQ in Detroit, Michigan. <snip>

Tony Jack nodded toward the tower&#8217;s base and said, &#8216;Say good morning to Jimmy Hoffa, boys&#8217;, Mr Elkind alleges in The Weasel: A Double Life in the Mob by Adrian Humphreys.

He also describes the rush to build the Renaissance Center following the disappearance of Hoffa &#8211; and claims the body was buried in wet cement.

Should we start digging?? (no offense meant to JH's family, BTW.)

I had a job that required interaction/negotiations with Teamster's U. in Detroit. This was a longggggggg time ago. Jimmy's disappearance was brought up and the response was "He'll never be found." End of discussion and nobody ever talked about it again. I'll be surprised if he is ever found. Would be interesting though.

Well, for one of those dollars, wfgodot, I'll go straight to one of your 'favorite' sources...the Daily Mail.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2078470/Teamsters-boss-Jimmy-Hoffa-buried-cement-General-Motors-HQ.html

Should we start digging?? (no offense meant to JH's family, BTW.)

Yes! "If it's in the Daily Mail, it MUST be true!" lolol.

I think the favorite place - heard this repeated often - was that Hoffa had been buried in a concrete abutment of some sort in New Jersey at the Meadowlands, where the NY Giants played many seasons - can't remember the corner of which end zone he was supposed to be.

I think it's been torn down now as they've moved to a new place. I guess Jimmy didn't pop up out of the rubble and make himself known while the wrecking ball was tearing the place apart.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Clue Keeper
Back