GUILTY MI - Jane Bashara, 56, dies in contract killing, Grosse Pointe Park, 25 Jan 2012 #2

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Alleged Bashara Witness speaks

May 4, 2012

Supposed Bashara witness “Steve” gives his story of what went down in the murder of Jane Bashara. Charlie asks tough questions to “Steve” about his substantial claims.

---- podcast (Audio) (20:56) ---- Steve Virgona (Joe Gentz friend) speaks to Charlie Langton

Listen at the Source: http://detroit.cbslocal.com/?podcas...+Langton&station_id=57&tag=pages&dcid=CBS.DET (It's Good!)

Friend: Gentz Confessed Bashara Murder, Last Words Were ‘Please Don’t Do That’

May 4, 2012 12:01 PM

By Christy Strawser

DETROIT (Talk Radio 1270) The man who allegedly drove Joe Gentz to the police station to confess the murder of Jane Bashara called Charlie Langton’s Talk Radio 1270 morning show Friday to say Gentz wasn’t the only one involved.

Steve Virgona, who says he’s a longtime friend of Gentz’s, also reported Jane Bashara’s last words.

“Let’s put it this way, he (Gentz) said Bashara pointed a gun at him and said ‘Do it now’” Virgona said, adding, “Her last words were ‘please don’t do that, ‘please don’t do that.’”

Gentz, a tenant of Bob Bashara’s and reported handyman, is charged with murder and conspiracy to murder, though no conspirator has been charged with him. Police have named Bashara a person of interest in his wife’s death.

Virgona said he gave his own statements to police after Gentz told him his version of the story — and he’s upset that so much of what he told officers and prosecutors has already turned up in the media. Grosse Pointe Park police did not respond to calls seeking comment on Virgona’s story.

The case has captivated metro Detroit and the country — with accusations of infidelity and sadomasochism in tony Grosse Pointe, one of the state’s most affluent communities. Bob Bashara, a building manager and owner, had been married to Jane, a marketing executive, for decades, and they have two children in college.

Jane Bashara was found strangled in her own Mercedes in an alley in Detroit earlier this year, after her husband reported her missing. What happened?

“Joe had physical evidence on his face, he had other evidence that was on him,” Virgona said.

Were there more people involved in the crime? Langton asked.

“I know there is,” Virgona said, later adding, “Joe’s told me for sure that Bob Bashara offered some other people (money for murder), third parties.”

He added his account of what Gentz told him about the murder, saying Bashara told Gentz “you’re going to do the job or you’re going to die with her.”

“He’s very easy to manipulate,” Virgona added. “If there’s anything involved with money or something … he’ll jump right into it.”

A competency hearing for Gentz this week was adjourned until June 11. Verona said Gentz had a “brain aneurysm” at one point, but he’s competent and has passed his competency tests “with flying colors.”

Virgona got involved in the case, he said, after he was watching coverage of the Bashara funeral on TV and realized he recognized people in the footage. The next thing he knew, he said Gentz was knocking on his door.

“Joe got scared, he wanted to take off, but he decided to do the right thing,” Virgona said, adding that he and a pastor friend decided to drive him to police to confess. “He went upstairs, took a shower, put a nice suit on, gave me his jacket, wallet and his watch and all that stuff (and then went to police.)”

What did he tell police? ”I want to confess the murder of Jane Bashara, conspiracy to it,” Verona reported Gentz told police, adding, “The police department got video tape.”

Police held Gentz while the media staked out the Grosse Pointe Park department. But after a few days, Gentz was released — before he was arrested again and officially charged.

“That’s something I never understood … I was shocked,” Virgona said. “I can say this if you want to come and arrest me, go ahead. I was shocked because here I am … I’m a main witness to put Bob Bashara and Joe Gentz away and here they give Joe Gentz back to me and I feel like I was a babysitter for a week.”

Virgona also spoke to officers, saying they “kicked him out” of the station three times when he tried to tell his tale, before eventually taking him seriously. He said he was the one who told them to look for DNA evidence in the Bashara garage.

How did he know? “Because Joe Gentz told me,” Virgona said, later adding that’s where Gentz told him the murder happened.

Source: http://detroit.cbslocal.com/2012/05...a-murder-last-words-were-please-dont-do-that/

Attorneys address competency hearing for Joe Gentz

Posted: 11:59 AM
By: Kim Russell

(WXYZ) - Friday morning a hearing was held in the Jane Bashara murder case. She is the Grosse Pointe Park mom killed in January.
Judge Ronald Giles decided to delay a competency hearing for accused murderer Joe Gentz until June 11 th...

----------------

Read more: http://www.wxyz.com/dpp/home/attorneys-address-competency-hearing-for-joe-gentz

May 4, 2012 at 2:22 pm
Friend says Gentz told him Bashara tried to hire second hitman

By George Hunter
The Detroit News

Grosse Pointe Park— A handyman charged with murdering Jane Bashara allegedly told a friend that the victim's husband tried to hire a second man to carry out the hit.

Joe Gentz, who is charged with strangling Jane Bashara on Jan. 24, said Robert Bashara paid him less than $2,000 and the promise of a used Cadillac to commit the slaying, according to police sources. Gentz's longtime friend, Steve Virgona, told The Detroit News that Gentz tried in vain to subcontract the murder to him.

"He said Bob wanted to make it look like a hit-and-run accident," Virgona said Friday. "She was supposed to be hit by a car, and it would've looked like an accident. I never said yes, and I never said no, but I obviously didn't do it. Joe also told me there was another guy Bob tried to hire to kill Jane, but he turned it down."

Maria Miller, a spokeswoman for the Wayne County Prosecutor's Office, declined to comment Friday on Virgona's statements, citing the ongoing investigation.

Virgona lives in Warren and has known Gentz since they attended Lincoln High School together. When Gentz was charged March 1 in the slaying, Virgona said Gentz had approached him about helping to kill someone.

It was unclear whether police interviewed the alleged second man.

Virgona also said Gentz described in detail what happened the day of the murder.

"Joe said Bob pulled a gun out on him and said, 'Do it … you better do it now.' Then Jane says, 'Please don't do that.' Those were her last words."...

-----------

From The Detroit News: http://www.detroitnews.com/article/...-told-him-Bashara-tried-to-hire-second-hitman

More at the Source.

DETROIT
May 4, 2012

Competency hearing rescheduled for Bashara murder suspect

By K. Michelle Moran
C & G Staff Writer

A competency hearing for murder suspect Joseph John Gentz, 48, of Grosse Pointe Park was adjourned the morning of May 4 in 36th District Court Judge Ronald Giles’ courtroom.

Gentz was arraigned March 5 on charges of first-degree murder and conspiracy to commit murder in the Jan. 25 slaying of Jane Bashara, 56, of Grosse Pointe Park. He reportedly confessed his involvement to police, but he is said to have told them that he killed Jane Bashara at the behest of her husband, Bob Bashara. Bob Bashara has insisted he had no involvement in his wife’s killing, and although police have called him a “person of interest” in the case, neither he nor anyone else besides Gentz had been charged in the crime at press time.

Gentz wasn’t present for the hearing, but his court-appointed attorney, Susan Reed, was in the courtroom, along with attorney Paul Sinutko from the Wayne County Prosecutor’s Office. Reed said they were still awaiting records from several sources, including hospitals, before the competency hearing process and report could be completed. She told the judge they needed at least another four weeks to finish all of the needed exams...

At press time, Gentz’s competency hearing was rescheduled for 1:30 p.m. June 11 to give the Forensic Center time to come up with their findings. Reed said her client remains in custody at the William Dickerson Detention Facility in Hamtramck. She said Gentz is doing “as well as could be expected for being incarcerated.”

As to whether her client might be seeking a plea deal, Reed told reporters she wasn’t able to discuss that prospect.

----

More at the Source: http://www.candgnews.com/news/competency-hearing-rescheduled-bashara-murder-suspect

Sources say Joe Gentz is getting into trouble in jail

Published On: May 04 2012 05:43:35 PM EDT

The man who admitted to killing Grosse Pointe Park mother Jane Bashara has been in jail and sources say he isn't exactly cooperating.

Gentz causes trouble inside Dickerson jail by refusing to take meds, starting screaming match

---- Watch the VIDEO & read the TEXT ----

Looks like Joe Gentz behaving bad in jail ... - he is violent, picked a fight with another inmate once (shouting match over TV ... didn't like what was on tv ... said "want the channel changed or shut the tv off"), "off his meds" (often refuses his meds), once pointed with his finger as if he had a gun and was shooting...

Tod Flood, legal expert, said if Gentz keeps on behaving this way it could be an advantage to Bob Bashara (if Bashara is ever charged and goes to trial) .. or, he said, it could work for the prosecution, him acting out etc ... because it shows that he's not stable and can be easily manipulated to do "very bad" things...

-----

More at the Source: http://www.clickondetroit.com/news/...il/-/1719418/12568164/-/15l244pz/-/index.html

--

Gentz causes trouble inside Dickerson jail by refusing to take meds, starting screaming match

----------

More at the Source: http://www.clickondetroit.com/news/...il/-/1719418/12568164/-/15l244pz/-/index.html
Local 4 Defenders learn Joe Gentz hasn't been on best behavior behind bars

Published On: May 04 2012 06:04:10 PM EDT

The Local 4 Defenders have learned that Joe Gentz has been causing problems behind bars, been put on lock down and has been written up nearly a dozen times.

He’s currently locked up in the Dickerson jail in Hamtramck, awaiting a preliminary hearing that is set for June.

The Defenders have learned that in one incident, Gentz made hand motions like he was holding a gun and pretended to fire several rounds at a corporal.

On several occasions, he’s refused to take his medication and has acted out to the point where jail nurses don’t feel safe giving medications to other inmates while Gentz is in the common area.

In another episode, Gentz, allegedly angry that he was told his cigarettes were thrown away, goes into a screaming tirade laced with expletives.

------

More at the Source: http://www.clickondetroit.com/news/...ars/-/1719314/12568430/-/38g6mxz/-/index.html

Bashara’s attorney responds to Gentz’s friend

By Jameson Cook
jamie.cook@macombdaily.com

Posted: 05/04/12 06:46 pm

Bob Bashara’s attorney on Friday disputed comments by Joe Gentz’s friend that repeated allegations that Bashara forced Gentz to murder Jane Bashara.

“How incredible is it to hear one story after another?” attorney David Griem told The Macomb Daily on Friday. “We’ve heard seven or eight stories from Joe Gentz, and most of them have been repeated by his friend.”

Steve Virgona, Gentz’s longtime friend, reportedly called a Detroit radio show Friday morning and said Gentz told him Bashara ordered Gentz to kill Jane Bashara at gunpoint. Gentz also revealed Jane Bashara’s last words, Virgona said, a published report said.

“Let’s put it this way, he (Gentz) said Bashara pointed a gun at him and said ‘Do it now,’” Virgona said, adding, “Her last words were ‘please don’t do that, ‘please don’t do that.’”
Bashara told Gentz, “You’re going to do the job or you’re going to die with her,” according to a published report.

Griem incredulously retorted, “How bizarre is it that someone would point a gun at someone’s head and order him to kill someone else?”

Virgona said on the radio, “Joe’s told me for sure that Bob Bashara offered some other people (money for murder), third parties.”

Griem responded: “There’s a theory in football and life, the best defense is offense.”

Griem contended that Gentz invented his version despite his reported mental drawbacks.

“How smart do you have to be to come up with a story like that?” he said. “You don’t have to be a genius to think up a story like that.”

Virgona said Gentz is “very easy to manipulate.”

“If there’s anything involved with money or something … he’ll jump right into it,” Virgona said.

Griem threw suspicion onto Virgona, saying he could be among other “persons of interest” connected to the case. Griem noted that Virgona owns a parcel near where Bashara’s body was found.

-----------

More at the Source: http://www.macombdaily.com/article/...y-responds-to-gentz-s-friend&pager=full_story

Bashara told Gentz, “You’re going to do the job or you’re going to die with her,” according to a published report.
If Bob Bashara would, indeed, killed Joe Gentz, after Gentz killed Jane Bashara .... i guess, then Bob Bashara could have said that he heard something suspicious in garage and he went there and saw that Joe Gentz strangled Jane, so he shot Gentz ... right there on the spot.

Pete Waldmeir, GP Woods

Dylan's on the move?

Bashara case fallout could claim another victim

Posted on May 4, 2012 at 9:34 pm

Dylan's Raw Bar and Grille is looking for a new address. But co-owner Rocco Cinqueranelli promises that if and when any switch comes to pass, the popular Mack Avenue sea food dining spot and jazz music bar will stay in Grosse Pointe Park.

"Yes, we've been looking around," acknowledged Rocco, whose business partner is John Montgomery. "Sometimes things happen that you can't control and you have to adjust. We love this business. People have been marvelous to us. We have a lot of loyal customers.

"We have made a lot of great friends here. We want to stay in the neighborhood."

Dylan's owners have been checking out recently vacated buildings a few blocks to the east, on Kercheval Avenue just north of another popular eatery, Antonio's in the Park.

"What about The Hill or the Village?" I asked. " They're nice," Rocco responded. "but Kercheval in the Park would make more sense for us."

Why move at all? Cincueranelli and Montgomery have owned and operated Dylan's for five years. Grosse Pointers will recall that it once was badged as Tom's Oyster Bar.

Unfortunately, Dylan's may be an innocent spinoff victim of the bizarre Bashara murder case. It happens to be located in a building owned by Robert Bashara, who has been named as a "person of interest" in his wife's murder.

And Dylan's next-door tenant in the same building on Mack (whose signs since have been removed) was the since pad-locked Hard Luck Lounge, which was widely publicized in connection with the Bashara case.

When the going gets tough, the tough get going.

------------

Source: http://grossepointe.patch.com/blog_posts/dylans-on-the-move

May 5, 2012 at 1:00 am

Friend says Gentz told him Bashara tried to hire second hitman

Job was supposed to make it look like a hit-and-run accident

By George Hunter
The Detroit News

bildezw.jpg

From The Detroit News: http://www.detroitnews.com/article/20120505/METRO/205050354

More at the Source.

Friend Of Jane Bashara Murder Suspect Joe Gentz Tells Wild Tale

joe-gentz.JPG

We don't yet know who is responsible for the death of Jane Bashara. Everyone is innocent until proven guilty. But regardless of who is culpable in that tragic crime, it's safe to say everyone involved in the case is really weird. Consider this report from the Macomb Daily:

• Steve Virgona, [Joe] Gentz’s longtime friend, reportedly called a Detroit radio show Friday morning and said Gentz told him [Bob] Bashara ordered Gentz to kill Jane Bashara at gunpoint. Gentz also revealed Jane Bashara’s last words, Virgona said, a published report said.

• “Let’s put it this way, he (Gentz) said Bashara pointed a gun at him and said ‘Do it now,’” Virgona said, adding, “Her last words were ‘please don’t do that, please don’t do that.’”

• Bashara told Gentz, “You’re going to do the job or you’re going to die with her,” according to a published report.

Virgona also claims Gentz, who wandered into a Grosse Pointe police station to confess to the crime in the middle of the night but was initially released without being charged, told him that Bashara had tried to hire other people to kill his wife in a hit-and-run car accident.

Bashara's lawyer, David Griem, called this latest story "bizarre."

If it all went down this way, then this is one of the most absurd and ham-fisted murder conspiracies ever. If Virgona's story is all just woo-woo, then some people seriously need to watch less Law&Order SVU. -- JW

---------

Source: http://www.deadlinedetroit.com/arti...hara_murder_suspect_joe_gentz_tells_wild_tale

I feel for Steve - he sticks his neck out by convincing JG to go to LE and then, he feels, nobody took him (Steve) seriously. That would be very frustrating indeed. :twocents:

I don't really feel that much for Steve.... as, reportedly, he was approached by Joe Gentz who told SV he was asked to "get rid of" some rich lady and asked Steve to "help" him.

Steve refused .... BUT didn't do anything with that information ... - as far as i am concerned he should have gone RIGHT AWAY and reported Gentz to LE ... - who knows, maybe Jane would have been still alive (as JG would, more likely, cracked under LE questioning)

UNLESS, of course Steve DID go to police RIGHT AWAY (which, somehow, i doubt), and told them what Joe "approached" him with ... and LE did NOTHING with it :rolleyes:

May 7, 2012 at 1:07 pm

Bashara attorney: Woman's request for protection a 'fabrication'

By Christine Ferretti
The Detroit News

Grosse Pointe Park— The attorney for Robert Bashara on Monday attacked a personal protection order filed by his client's former girlfriend, calling it a "fabrication" to shift attention away from claims she could be a person of interest in the January killing of Bashara's wife.

David Griem says he plans to file a response this week to the Wayne Circuit Court order requested by Rachel Gillett...

-----

In the order, Gillett said Bashara continually contacted her via email and letters, phone calls and unannounced visits to her home in Wayne County.

But Griem on Monday poked holes in Gillett's allegations, which he says were penned by her attorney, Doriad Elder.

Griem has said private investigators examining the case on behalf of Bashara have developed several persons of interest, including Gillett.

"It's obvious that Rachel Gillett's attorney himself drafted the one-and-a-half page attachment to the petition for a PPO," Griem said Monday. "In my humble opinion, it's a self-serving document that is chock-full of rhetoric. Instead of being in a position of a person of interest, let's put (Gillett) in the position of being a victim."

Elder on Monday said Gillett hasn't been questioned by authorities in any capacity other than as a witness. She could be called to testify at trial if Bashara is charged and without her testimony, Bashara would benefit, he said.

"This is no ploy. She fears for her life," Elder said, adding if Griem challenges the order he'll be "more than happy" to question Bashara at a court hearing. "If that's what he wants, that's what his client will get."

-----

Griem admitted Monday that Bashara did leave the crucifix.

"It was a gesture meant to comfort Rachel Gillett during a very difficult time in the lives of both of them," he said. "That's not the stuff a personal protection order should be made of."

Griem added Bashara has not contacted Gillett since the order was put in place.

-----

From The Detroit News: http://www.detroitnews.com/article/...orney-Woman-s-request-protection-fabrication-

More at the Source.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member