GUILTY MI - Jane Bashara, 56, dies in contract killing, Grosse Pointe Park, 25 Jan 2012 #3

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Bob Bashara Gets Up to 20 Years for Hiring Hitman for Wife's Alleged Killer

By COLLEEN CURRY

Dec. 10, 2012

Grosse Pointe Park, Mich., businessman Bob Bashara was sentenced today to six to 20 years in prison for hiring a hitman to kill his wife's alleged murderer, to keep the man from testifying against him.

Bashara, 54, pleaded guilty in October to solicitation of murder charges for hiring a man to kill his former handyman, who allegedly confessed to killing Bashara's wife but said the businessman paid him to do it.

"I know I absolutely did wrong, what I did was inexcusable, and I have no one to blame but myself," Bashara said through tears in court today, according to ABC News affiliate WXYZ-TV in Detroit.

"I understand that I must pay before what I've done," he said. "I absolutely stand before you and my family and the world to take responsibility for my actions."

Bashara's wife Jane was found strangled in her Mercedes SUV in January 2012, in Detroit.

Shortly after, Bashara's handyman, Joe Gentz, confessed to the murder and told police that Bob Bashara had paid him to murder Jane.

Bashara denied involvement in his wife's murder and passed a polygraph, but became the center of attention when multiple women stepped forward claiming that they had been with Bashara at S&M parties in a sex club in the basement of Bashara's bar.

Local realtor Rachel Gillet, 50, also told police that she was Bashara's girlfriend and that Jane Bashara had discovered their relationships just weeks before her murder.

Bashara's attorney told reporters at the time that Bob and Jane Bashara had an open marriage. David Griem, Bashara's lawyer, said that an "alternative lifestyle" did not incriminate Bashara in the murder.

Griem also acknowledged that Bashara and Gentz had talked the day before the murder, and that he could not account for Bashara's whereabouts in the hours leading up to Jane's killing. He denied, however, that Bashara was involved in Jane's death.

♦◊♦

Bashara will be credited 168 days for time already served.

-----

More at the Source: http://abcnews.go.com/US/bob-bashara-sentenced-hiring-hitman-involved-wifes-murder/story?id=17926817

Bashara sentenced to 80 to 240 months in prison for trying to have handyman killed

Bob Bashara pleaded guilty in October for trying to arrange the killing of Joe Gentz

Published On: Dec 10 2012 06:31:53 AM EST Updated On: Dec 10 2012 06:58:55 PM EST

---- TEXT & VIDEO (2:52) ----

DETROIT - Through tears, Bob Bashara on Monday said he was "truly and humbly sorry" for hiring a hit man to kill the man who is the suspect in his wife's slaying.

"What I did was inexcusable. I have no one to blame but myself," the Grosse Pointe Park man told the court. "But I understand fully what I did was a crime and something that I will regret for the rest of my life."

UNCUT: Bob Bashara sentenced for trying to have handyman killed (15:40)

♦◊♦

Wayne County Judge Bruce Morrow sentenced him Monday to a minimum of 80 months in prison and a maximum of 20 years. The state parole board will determine when to release him.

Watch: What's next for Bob Bashara? (2:53)

--------

More at the Source: http://www.clickondetroit.com/news/...led/-/1719418/17714694/-/13mhgrc/-/index.html

http://mdocweb.state.mi.us/OTIS2/otis2profile.aspx?mdocNumber=856261

Click on Spoiler below to view:

Bash.jpg

"Gentz was returned to jail after the court hearing. The case against him in Jane Bashara's death is pending.

Bob Bashara will be eligible for parole after he serves the minimum term of 7-and-a-half years in prison."

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-504083_...an-gets-prison-in-solicitation-of-murder-case

-------------

BBM ... lol

CBBM ... Media can't count by the looks of it .. it's not "7-and-a-half" years but 6 years and 8 months (It's 80 months minimum term) ... LESS almost "half" year credit for the time served (168 days) ... so it's around "6 years and 3 months" NET then...

Detroit
December 10, 2012

Bashara sentenced to up to 20 years in prison

By K. Michelle Moran
C & G Staff Writer

For attempting to hire someone to kill Joseph Gentz, Robert Bashara, 54, of Grosse Pointe Park, can expect to spend roughly the next six to 20 years behind bars.

For pleading guilty to a charge of solicitation to commit murder, 3rd Circuit Court Judge Bruce U. Morrow ruled Dec. 10 that Bashara should spend the next 80-240 months in a state prison. Bashara will receive credit for the 168 days he’s already spent in the Wayne County Jail.

The sentence left Bashara visibly shaken as he dropped his head into his hands at one point and quietly repeated, “I can’t believe it. I can’t believe it.”

Bashara’s attorney, Mark Kriger, had been seeking less prison time, citing his client’s charitable work in the community, among other considerations. Kriger said Bashara’s volunteer work for organizations like the Rotary included the 3 million challenge, during which Bashara led a collection of 1 million pounds of food, 1 million pounds of clothing and 1 million pounds of books for the less fortunate.

“By any measure, this man has touched a lot of lives in the community. … There’s no question that what he did is extremely serious and extremely bad,” Kriger said. “But does what he did in his life count for nothing?”

Bashara’s decision to plead guilty, rather than going to trial, should also weigh in his favor, Kriger said.

“He could have gone to trial and he would have faced the same sentencing guidelines,” Kriger said. “He pled straight up to the crime. … He came to the decision that that was the right thing to do.”

Bashara does still have his supporters — a small group that included his mother and aunt were in the courtroom for the sentencing — but prosecutors and Bashara himself said the defendant has lost much of the backing he once had.

Stopping periodically to wipe away tears, Bashara addressed the crime before the sentencing decision was rendered.

“I absolutely did wrong, and what I did was inexcusable and I have no one to blame but myself, and I understand fully that what I did was a crime and something I will regret for the rest of my life,” he said. “Pleading guilty was what I had to do.”

Bashara apologized to Gentz, the court, his family and his friends, many of whom have since cut ties with him.

“I made a promise to my grandfather that I would be there for my mother in her senior years,” said Bashara, just a few feet from his mother. “I ask that you offer me some leniency in my sentence.”

Moran was among those who weren’t moved by Bashara’s emotional appeal. He asked the judge to sentence Bashara on the high end of the guidelines, arguing that the crime he committed “is more serious than armed robbery, more serious than breaking and entering.”

In paperwork filed by the prosecutors before the sentencing, they said his actions were “premeditated and deliberate.”

“The evidence clearly shows that defendant Bashara was hell-bent on thwarting the investigation into his role in the cold-blooded murder of his wife, Jane Bashara,” the prosecutors’ sentencing memorandum read, in part. “The defendant’s ultimate goal was to silence Joseph Gentz in an effort not to avenge the murder of his wife, but to prevent Gentz from any future testimony against defendant Bashara.”

But Kriger disagreed with the picture prosecutors painted of Bashara.

“I do believe he’s remorseful,” Kriger said.

When asked if he was disappointed about the judge’s decision, Kriger said no, noting that the prosecutors had, at one point, been asking for a sentence of about 135 months.

“He’s holding up as well as one can expect. … He knew this day was coming,” Kriger said of his client after court.

Morrow said Bashara has the right to appeal his sentence...

----------

More at the Source: http://www.candgnews.com/news/bashara-sentenced-20-years-prison

Ok, so do I have this right? Bashara plead guilty and was offered the same deal for pleading guilty, than he would have gotten had he been found guilty from a trial? Really?

Interesting. Wonder what he didn't want let out or told or discovered, that would have during a trial?

:what:
fran

I don't think he was offered a deal .... ?

I think he and his attorney thought that if he plead guilty and claimed it was because he was so distraught over wife's death .. that it would go better for him

Fortunately, Bullcorn Bob isn't fooling anybody!

Tearful Bashara admits murder-for-hire plot, gets up to 20 years

10:46 PM, December 10, 2012

Wiping tears from his eyes, Grosse Pointe Park businessman Bob Bashara apologized and admitted his responsibility in a murder-for-hire plot on a handyman accused of killing Bashara’s wife.

But Bashara didn’t explain during his sentencing Monday why he wanted Joseph Gentz dead.

Prosecutors, however, say the motive was clear: Bashara was aiming to silence Gentz — a potential witness against him in his wife’s death.

Reed said Gentz remains in isolation at the William Dickerson Detention Facility in Hamtramck, where he has been held since being charged with first-degree murder and conspiracy in the death of Jane Bashara, who was found strangled in her SUV on Detroit’s east side.

Reed has said Gentz would be willing to testify against Bashara if he is charged. She said Gentz, who is due back in court Friday for a pretrial hearing, has not settled a plea agreement with prosecutors.

“We’re still reviewing all the options,” she said.

In a series of phone calls from the Wayne County Jail in October, Bashara indicated he was left with few options but to plead guilty to the solicitation charge.

In one recorded call, Bashara said he would be on a “state paid vacation” because he was set up.

But he told Wayne Circuit Judge Bruce Morrow that his comments during the calls were a desperate attempt to keep more people from abandoning him.

In a dozen letters sent to Morrow (Click HERE to view 12 letters to the judge in support of Bob Bashara in PDF format), Bashara’s supporters said he was a pillar in the community, and some felt his actions were out of character.

"Please keep in mind that I don’t think anyone is perfect, including Bob", his cousin, Stephanie Samuel, wrote in a Nov. 28 letter. "I do not condone his gross error. However, in my humble opinion, Bob is a kind man, a peacemaker … and a loving person."

Marcella Wilson, president and CEO of Matrix Human Services, wrote that Bashara bridged the relationship between the Rotary Club of Grosse Pointe and her organization.

Bashara’s attorney Mark Kriger said his client has done good work in the community — a fact he wanted considered at sentencing.

“This man,” Kriger said, “has touched a lot of lives in this community.”

Prosecutors contend that Bashara, in asking for Wilson’s support, offered to gift a house to her. They also say Bashara had another side — an adulterer who purportedly maintained a sex dungeon at a commercial property on Mack Avenue.

Experts say the murder-for-hire plot on Gentz could aid prosecutors if they charge Bashara in his wife’s death.

“The conviction against Bashara could potentially be admissible as ‘other acts’ evidence against him if the Wayne County prosecutor believes there is sufficient evidence to bring charges against him in connection with his wife’s murder,” University of Detroit Mercy law professor Larry Dubin said.

Bashara was booked in the Michigan Department of Corrections reception center just hours after being sentenced. MDOC spokesman Russ Marlan said prisoners are given blue prison uniforms with orange stripes down the side, emblazoned with their MDOC number.

In Bashara’s case, that number is 856261.
(Click) or (Click)

During Monday’s hearing, Bashara was weepy at times when reading his statement.

“I understand,” he said, “that I must pay for what I have done.”

-------

Read more at the Source: http://www.freep.com/article/201212...ra-sentenced-80-240-months-plot-kill-handyman

*** P.S. In case the link for 12 letters to the judge in support of Bob Bashara in PDF format dies at the Detroit Free Press links provided above ... -- I uploaded that PDF ;) -- the alternative link to those those 12 letters is now HERE (Click)

December 10, 2012 at 5:50 pm

'Ashamed' Bashara sentenced up to 20 years in plot to kill handyman

By Christine Ferretti and George Hunter
The Detroit News

20121210210433_2012_1210_dc_bashara015_T.jpg

Bob Bashara was sentenced to 80-240 months in prison Dec. 10, 2012 for trying to arrange the jailhouse killing of Joseph Gentz, the man accused of murdering Bashara's wife. The sentencing is the latest development in a case that has captivated Metro Detroit. (David Coates / The Detroit News)

... Wayne County Assistant Prosecutor Robert Moran on Monday argued for a minimum prison term of 85 months and sought up to life for Bashara who he said isn't sorry.

"He's the one who decided to hire a hit man to kill someone," Moran told Morrow. "The first step to rehabilitation is to accept responsibility for one's actions. He hasn't gotten there yet."

But Kriger told the judge that his client has lost the support of many, adding recorded jailhouse calls reveal Bashara does have remorse.

"One of (Bashara's) friends says to him 'don't do anything stupid Bob,'" Kriger told Morrow of an "important call" between Bashara and the unnamed friend. "He says 'I already did."

Bashara's relatives declined to comment following the hearing Monday...

20121210210612_2012_1210_dc_bashara003_T.jpg

Joseph Gentz sits in court Dec. 10, 2012 as Bob Bashara is sentenced for trying to arrange his killing. Before he was ordered to prison for up to 20 years, Bashara tearfully told a judge Monday that he's "ashamed" and "regretful" over a plot he hatched to kill the former handyman accused of murdering his wife, Jane Bashara. (David Coates / The Detroit News)

bilde.jpg

“I stand before you. These words are true and these words are sincere,” Bashara told Morrow in his bid for “leniency.” “What I did is inexcusable. I have no one to blame but myself. What I did was a crime and something I will regret for the rest of my life. Pleading guilty is what I had to do.” (David Coates / The Detroit News)

----------

Read more from The Detroit News: http://www.detroitnews.com/article/20121210/METRO01/212100365

Bashara: Up to 20 years

Kathy Ryan, Staff Writer

December 13, 2012

c1BFB5WhQ2B43843.med.jpg

DETROIT — Bob Bashara was sentenced Monday to 80 months to 20 years in prison for attempting to hire a hit man to kill Joseph Gentz.

Wayne County Circuit Judge Bruce Morrow handed down the sentence, apparently unmoved by Bashara's tearful plea that he was "ashamed" by his actions in trying to kill Gentz, the man charged with the January murder of Bob's wife, Jane Bashara.

"These words are true and sincere," Bashara told the court, his voice breaking. "I know what I did was wrong. I have no one to blame but myself. I understand this was a crime and I will regret it for the rest of my life. I am ashamed of what I did and I can't tell you how regretful I am of my actions."

Bashara broke down several times while reading his statement, his voice shaking as he spoke of being abandoned by his friends and of his concerns for his family.

"I made a promise to my grandfather to be there for my mother in her senior years," he said. "I ask that you offer me some leniency."

♦◊♦

Bashara, who has been held since his arrest in the Wayne County jail, was transferred Monday afternoon to the custody of the Michigan Department of Corrections. He will be held at the MDOC reception facility in Jackson for about 30 days where he will be evaluated before being assigned a facility where he will serve out his term.

Bashara's mother was in the courtroom for the sentencing, and she was allowed to visit privately with him. The family declined comment.

-----

More at the Source: http://www.grossepointenews.com/Articles-News-i-2012-12-13-248628.114135-Bashara-Up-to-20-years.html

December 13, 2012 at 4:05 pm

Bashara gets new address: state prison in Jackson

By George Hunter
The Detroit News

Jackson — The man once known as the Mayor of Middlesex is now prisoner No. 856261.

bilde.jpg
Robert Bashara spent his 55th birthday in the Charles Egeler Reception And Guidance Center in Jackson on Tuesday after being sentenced a day earlier by Wayne Circuit Judge Bruce Morrow to 6 to 20 years in prison for trying to hire a hit man to kill his former handyman, Joseph Gentz.

Bashara pleaded guilty to the solicitation of murder charge, saying during his sentencing Monday he was "ashamed" and "regretful" for hatching the plot.

Gentz is due in court Friday for a final pre-trial conference on charges he fatally strangled Bashara's wife, 56-year-old marketing executive Jane Bashara, in the couple's garage the night of Jan. 24. Prosecutors say Gentz then loaded her body into her Mercedes SUV and dropped the vehicle off in an alley on Detroit's east side, where it was found the next morning by a tow truck driver.

Bashara once lived in a stately brick home on Middlesex in Grosse Pointe Park, and, after being charged with solicitation in June, had occupied one of the Wayne County Jail's two "habeas cells" — private quarters away from the general population

But state corrections officials say the former real estate entrepreneur may not be isolated from other prisoners after he goes through a month-long intake and assessment process at the Egeler Center, where all male prisoners in Michigan first report after sentencing.

"I don't anticipate that he would not be placed in general population, but if through the intake and screening process they determine that he might be at risk, then they could put him into protective custody," Michigan Department of Corrections spokesman Russ Marlan said.

"But just because someone may have been involved in a noteworthy case, that doesn't automatically necessitate separate placement," Marlan said.

Stephen Grant, who strangled and dismembered his wife Tara in a 2006 case that garnered national attention, remains in protective custody at the Bellamy Creek Correctional Facility in Ionia.

"It's something that's determined on a case-by-case basis," Marlan said. "In Grant's case, (prison officials) obviously think there's still a danger."

During his stay at the Egeler Center, Bashara will undergo physical and mental health screenings, and prison officials will determine his level of security.

"That will determine which facility he's sent to," Marlan said.

Although the solicitation case is now closed, there are still several loose ends dangling in Jane Bashara's murder case.

Gentz was charged with first-degree murder and conspiracy to commit murder, meaning prosecutors believe he did not act alone. The developmentally delayed former handyman told police Robert Bashara paid him less than $2,000 and the promise of a used Cadillac to kill Jane Bashara.

Originally, the murder plot called for Gentz to run the victim down with a car and make it look like an accident, police sources told The News.

Shortly after the slaying, Gentz walked into the Grosse Pointe Park police station to confess to the murder.

Bashara, who admitted he tried to hire a furniture store owner to kill Gentz so he wouldn't testify against him, has also been named a suspect in his wife's murder, although he hasn't been charged.

Prior to the murder, Bashara was involved in numerous charities around the Pointes. But after news of the murder broke, along with revelations of his private life that included affairs with at least two women and ownership of a sex dungeon in the basement of a bar he owned, he was reportedly shunned.

According to briefs filed by prosecutors, Bashara was asked to leave a church function, and had his Rotary Club awards rescinded.

"It would seem that Bashara's charitable activities may not stem simply from the goodness of his heart," prosecutors wrote in a Dec. 7 sentencing memorandum. "Rather, Bashara's community involvement stems from his need to be the big man on campus, to be the center of attention, to be 'BIG BOB.'"

Bashara's earliest release date is Feb. 24, 2019, according to the Michigan Department of Corrections website.

ghunter@detroitnews.com

(313) 222-2134

--------

Read more from The Detroit News: http://www.detroitnews.com/article/20121213/METRO/212130482

December 14, 2012 at 1:00 am

Metro briefs

Bashara's alleged target due in court: Robert Bashara is now inmate No. 856261 — and the man he's accused of trying to kill is due in court today. Bashara spent his 55th birthday in Jackson prison on Tuesday, one day after being sentenced to 6-20 years for seeking a hit man to kill Gentz, his former handyman.

Gentz is set to be in Wayne County Circuit Court for a final conference on charges he killed Jane Bashara, 56, on Jan. 24. He told police Bashara hired him for less than $2,000 to kill her. State prison officials said they don't believe Bashara will be held in isolation.

-------

From The Detroit News: http://www.detroitnews.com/article/20121214/METRO/212140366#ixzz2F1Zp0zfq

BB will have drop the superior attitude if he plans to survive in GP... imo

I feel sorry for him ............... not

Hmmmm ... Another Murder in GP :rolleyes:

Grosse Pointe Woods resident murdered, police believe

---- Video is included at the link ----

Posted: Nov 28, 2012 6:06 AM CST | Updated: Nov 28, 2012 4:43 PM CST

By Amy Lange
Fox 2 News

GROSSE POINTE WOODS, Mich. (WJBK) -- 54-year-old Don DeWulf, a well-liked Grosse Pointe Woods man, was found dead this week inside his home. Police are investigating his death as a murder. No suspect is in custody.

DeWulf's brother, Mike, told us he stopped by the house on Hampton Monday morning and found Don dead on the bathroom floor. There was blood. He thought maybe his sibling had a heart attack, fell and hit his head. Then investigators discovered a bullet in Don's head that may have suggested suicide, but there was no gun. It has been ruled a homicide.

The victim's brother said earlier reports that Don was found hanging by an electrical cord in the bathroom are not true.

Don DeWulf's brother said he was the class clown. He sold life insurance and was very trusting. He always carried cash and it is feared someone may have targeted him because of that.

Anyone with information is asked contact police.

DeWulf's funeral will be held Thursday morning at A.H. Peters Funeral Home in Grosse Pointe Woods.

-----

Source: http://www.myfoxtwincities.com/stor...rosse-pointe-woods-man-classified-as-homicide

Other Sources:

http://www.detroitnews.com/article/20121129/METRO01/211290370
http://www.freep.com/article/201211...s-answers-in-death-of-Grosse-Pointe-Woods-man
http://www.clickondetroit.com/news/...583772/-/format/rss_2.0/-/xhe2o6/-/index.html

"Neighbors reported seeing DeWulf's girlfriend at the house earlier in the same day. However, police will not confirm those claims."

Were BB's kids in court? I don't remember seeing them. I'm wondering if they are realizing what BB's solution is to people who are in his way. I'm wondering if they are realizing that a wife could be in the way of living happily ever after with your two slave-mistresses......

Sad.

nope ... BB's kids weren't in court...

His mom, aunt and cousin were...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics