MI MI - Jessica Heeringa, 25, Norton Shores, 26 April 2013 #9 (J. Willis GUILTY)

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Roselvr: Let me clarify a few things, because I feel like you may be perceiving me as not only unfamiliar with the case, but hostile to JH's alleged drug use.

First off, I AM new to Websleuths, yes, so new in fact that I'm still learning the ins and outs of the community. That said, I am *not* new to the Jessica Heeringa case, am local to the area and am extremely familiar with the details of the case by research, the specifics of the information by geography, and the rumor mill by proximity. Understand that when i say "rumor mill" I'm referring to Facebook and locally, not Websleuths. I credit rumor as something for merit-based consideration but not on the same level as objective facts. There is *always* reason for rumors, but that doesn't always make them true. As with anything, there are degrees of truth, a kernel, a sliver, a vein, a streak, a nugget, a shadow, something more. There may be beef between them, it may be that she had a problem with JH dumping her brother, or that she never liked her to begin with, or she is hostile to drug users, or something, but it's ultimately inconsequential to the case other than something for an attorney to construct a flimsy defense from. I don't see how Dakotah benefits from discussing the fact that he and JH were heroin users and had fights over it. The biggest problem with the drug use is that it turned others into suspects and diverted suspicion from the serial freak who is really responsible.

Second, I don't have a real problem with heroin ab/use. I consider it a personal issue, unfortunate to the point of tragedy, because I know that it has not only an expense, but a personal cost, and can be terribly destructive. It may even be that she was stealing to support a habit. There's nothing to support that, but that's the sort of two-sides-to-the-story element that makes rumors far less substantial. Ultimately, I consider it a flimsy defense and the best the attorney can offer with what he's given.

All that said, we are dealing with public defenders in Hosticka and Mathis here. They are not high-powered highly paid attorneys, but just public defenders. It is their job, their requirement under law to ensure that Willis gets the fairest trial he can get. To my understanding, there is nothing in that job description that *requires* destroying the credibility of victims or other witnesses. They already have a tall order given the evidence against him, for the child *advertiser censored*, MJN and RBK.. It may be that there's not enough to get him for JH, but it's not going to fail because she may or may not have used heroin, or because a coworker thought she was stealing.

Essex: "There may be beef between them, it may be that she had a problem with JH dumping her brother, or that she never liked her to begin with, or she is hostile to drug users, or something, ..........."

I have heard above initially along with the heavy drug use. An old article states that Jessica was supposed to move in with Susan Follet's cousin, sometime around the time of the kidnapping; seems she told him the day of the kidnapping that she had changed her mind. Susan had various suspicions when she saw the van parked in back of the store. Drugs, embezzlement and affairs...., so the police had different theories to investigate. I think the LAST thing the police thought in the beginning that had happened was a kidnapping by a rapist/murderer. I do feel they thought it was a more personal incident involving drugs or a relationship issue. In fact, imo, they were surprised when it turned out to be Willis.

If needed I can try to find the older article detailing Jessica's personal relationships besides Dakota. Seems I did post it in one of my earlier postings.

Thank you so much for these video links!

I watched all the videos of the 3 days (so far) of the preliminary examination; this is a very quick summary:
The prosecution called many witnesses, including the minor abductee (the first day). A few witnesses were the same as called during the RB preliminary, including computer forensics, state and local officers and detectives, MS. KB was NOT called. Some new evidence was presented, including DNA reports on the gun found in JW's van and the panties found wrapped in foil in the shed. The computer forensics included a discussion of the external hard drives and the videos found in JW's home, as well as 2 password files JW kept for his bank accounts. Defense made several attempts to object to the evidence as prejudicial and irrelevant; all objections were overruled.

The judge called a sidebar (shown at the end of yesterday's last video 12/12) and as far as I could tell the defense basically asked for the prosecution to stop presenting evidence from the final prosecution witness as there was already an abundance. This was right as the prosecution asked the witness for more detail about the videos. Maybe someone else understands this legal process better?

There will be another afternoon in court (12/13) for the defense to call witness(es). I don't know if the judge is will make a decision to bind JW over for trial today. I hope so.

The judge called a sidebar (shown at the end of yesterday's last video 12/12) and as far as I could tell the defense basically asked for the prosecution to stop presenting evidence from the final prosecution witness as there was already an abundance. This was right as the prosecution asked the witness for more detail about the videos. Maybe someone else understands this legal process better?

My understanding from what was presented in the video is that the defense was looking to prevent the content of the hard drives in their abundant entirety from being presented as they would be unduly prejudicial to the case ... i.e. there was a terrabyte of space with a *lot* of gory horror movies the sound of it. The judge decided it should be kept to the point, and the witness was instructed to keep things relevant by referring to the second hard-drive which had the toolbox-related snuff/ sexual assault themed videos on them.

Just finished watching the live feed of the final day of JW's preliminary hearing. I know links will be along shortly, because you are all just that good.

JW has been bound over for trial.

December 13, 2016

Jeffrey Willis to stand trial for open murder and kidnapping in Jessica Heeringa case
Read more/video: http://www.wzzm13.com/news/local/mu...kidnapping-in-jessica-heeringa-case/369586691

The judge explained his decision by saying "The totality of evidence convinces me, certainly for probably cause purposes, that Mr. Jeffery Thomas Willis should be bound over to circuit court, on the charges of open murder and on the charge of kidnapping. I'm finding that neither of those criminal offenses are cognizable in the district court, therefore this court is duty bound to bind the case over to trial in circuit court."

Willis remains in the Muskegon County Jail, after the judge denied bond.

Thinking of and praying for Jessica's family today I can't imagine what they are going through.

Just posting this here as it may have an impact on the timing of his case relating to Jessica.

Bletsch murder trial up to 9 months away from happening, if ever: attorney

http://www.mlive.com/news/muskegon/index.ssf/2016/12/bletsch_murder_trial_up_to_9_m.html

Watch the video, poor JW has no rights in jail.
All I have to say is they better not do anything illegal to him to throw out either case, he needs to fry

from your link

Willis' attorneys in the office of the Muskegon County Public Defender Dec. 16 filed a motion asking the court to throw out the Willis' murder charge for the June 2014 shooting death of Rebekah Bletsch. Their reasoning: Willis' constitutional rights were violated by seizures of his papers by law enforcement while in jail.

The defense is arguing the papers in each case were meant to be seen only by Willis' attorneys.

"This intrusion into defendant's attorney-client communications revealed the entire defense strategy, as surely as if the government had eavesdropped on defendant's meetings with counsel," Public Defender's Office Chief Research Attorney Thomas Oatmen wrote in the motion. "Regrettably, there is no way to conduct a fair trial in this case anymore."

At a Dec. 2 hearing on the Bletsch case, jail staff and Willis himself testified about three occasions when law enforcement members accessed his papers, first when Willis left papers in the pocket of a jail jumpsuit he put out for laundry, and on two later searches of his cell.

In the first case, investigators received scanned digital images of the papers found in the laundry, and in a second case made photocopies of writings a notebook they found in the cell. In the third case, a sergeant from the Muskegon County Sheriff's office rifled through contents of a folder in Willis' cell while searching for something else, but he testified he didn't contact investigators about what he saw.

Muskegon County Chief Public Defender Fred Johnson questioned the validity of the searches investigators made of Willis' cell.

Johnson said the case could simply be dismissed, as requested by the defense. Judge William C. Marietti can also grant relief to the defense by other means - by ordering the material from Willis' papers not be used at trial, or by ordering state attorney general's office prosecute the case, Johnson said.

But even if the case is not dismissed, Johnson said, it could be 9 months before the Bletsch case goes to trial

I have spent the last four days reading this long thread. I was familiar w/ Jessica's case since I am from MI, but hadn't read any recent details or breakthroughs--and wow. I am shocked and think there is so much to learn from this case. I've followed many on WS and there are soooooo many red herrings in this case, there was no way I thought it could truly be a stranger (or close to stranger) abduction. I thought for sure the manager/coworker had something to do with it. Truly goes to show that despite all of the various stories we can come up with and link together with speculation, sometimes it's just pure evil out there. Similar to Sierra in a different part of Michigan. Evil was lurking so close. <modsnip>

I also think it's so important to have the reminder to follow your gut instinct. Whether it was the lady who saw Willis and thought he was off when talking to Jessica the day before, or the manager/coworker--who could have called the police right away to follow the van if she thought something bad was going on. It's really better to be safe than sorry. Who knows what the police could have done if the customer would have called her feelings in--feelings aren't facts--but we'll never know if it would have led to a series of events that could have saved Jessica and the others.

Reading through new reports and documents, I am so saddened to hear that his van WAS looked at in the beginning and someone noted it smelled like cleaners and had been vacuumed. I can't believe nothing more was done with that--his face definitely has the look of the sketch (which months ago I would have said was totally bogus) AND his van is so close. It really seemed like Kashar was driven to solve this, so it's insane to me that that wasn't explored further. The van issue still confuses me, but I can't imagine that Willis is innocent--there must be something else we don't know.

This is so truly horrifying in every way. To think there are others out there planning and plotting and carrying out these same kinds of horrendous crimes right under our radar. I'm so heartbroken for Jessica's family as they have to sit through this monster and his defense attorney's ridiculous remarks about her personal life. I hope they are able to find some kind of peace.

Bumping for Jessica I continue to hope and pray she is found soon and brought back to her family to allow them to have a funeral and grieve.

I have the ID (Investigation Discovery) channel on while I work and heard "Jessica Heeringa" on the tv...her story is on this episode. I have read some of the threads here but never had a chance to watch the ID special on her.

Just saw you're beautiful face on TV, Jessica.
A bittersweet reminder of you.

They updated your Disappeared episode with the info about that monster.

:bump:

Bumping for Jessica - may you be brought home to rest in peace.

Just saw you're beautiful face on TV, Jessica.
A bittersweet reminder of you.

They updated your Disappeared episode with the info about that monster.

:bump:

I wondered if the show would be updated thank you for confirming it has been.

Bumping for Jessica - may you be brought home to rest in peace.

I hope so too I hope a breakthrough is made despite monster not talking.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member