MI MI - Jessica Heeringa, 25, Norton Shores, 26 April 2013 #9 (J. Willis GUILTY)

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Five years ago on April 20, a gas station employee named Jessica Heeringa disappeared from work. She was never seen again, and her body has never been found.

Prosecutors eventually charged Jefferey Willis with Heeringa's kidnapping and murder.

The trial is set to start on Tuesday, May 1 with jury selection.

http://www.wzzm13.com/article/news/...ce-jury-selection-starts-tuesday/69-546208949

Jeffrey Willis goes on trial for Jessica Heeringa's murder, abduction. An estimated 300 people will be on standby to serve as jurors in the upcoming trial. Pre-trial publicity of the Heeringa case could make it difficult to seat an impartial jury. Jury selection begins Tuesday, and is expected to last several days.

http://www.mlive.com/expo/erry-2018/04/d946ad94d47505/jeffrey_willis_goes_on_trial_f.html

Thanks for the updates!!

The other piece of legislation passed would require convicted defendants to be present for witness victim impact statements.

The bill arises from the sentencing last year of Jeffrey Willis for the 2014 murder of Rebekah Bletsch in Muskegon County. Willis said he didn’t want to be present for the victim impact statements from Bletsch’s family and the judge said there was nothing he could do to make Willis witness the statements.

As he left the courtroom, Willis blew a kiss to Bletsch’s family and flipped them the bird.

“We want to make sure that others don’t have to go through what Rebecca Bletsch’s family had to go through,” said Rep. Holly Hughes, R-White River Township, the sponsor of the legislation. “We want to make sure that murderers’ rights do not supercede or overshadow the victims or the victims' families rights.”

Willis is also awaiting trial on charges of the kidnapping and murder of Jessica Heeringa, a 25-year-old woman.

https://www.freep.com/story/news/20...lls-house-representatives-michigan/408182002/

I'm so glad this legislation passed on the 8th of March. No victim's family should have to endured the
disgusting behaviour Willis displayed at Rebekah's trial.

I still hope and pray Jessica is found everyday and I pray for her family too. Willis's trial is due to start in May but I am keeping an eye out for any news just in case it is delayed again.

"As he left the courtroom, Willis blew a kiss to Bletsch’s family and flipped them the bird."

Ughhhhh

JW is an awful person. I hope he doesn't pull anymore theatrics in Jessica's trial. He sat there with tears holding a bible in Rebekah's trial...but it didn't work and the jury convicted him!. When he refused to sit through his sentencing and blew that kiss and flipped them the bird as he left the courtroom so he didn't have to hear the victim impact statements, the sheriff got him back...he recorded those victim impact statements and had the deputies play them over and over and over as they transported him to prison 145 miles away.

http://www.oxygen.com/crime-time/ki...impact-statements-forced-to-listen-to-them-on

JW is an awful person. I hope he doesn't pull anymore theatrics in Jessica's trial. He sat there with tears holding a bible in Rebekah's trial...but it didn't work and the jury convicted him!. When he refused to sit through his sentencing and blew that kiss and flipped them the bird as he left the courtroom so he didn't have to hear the victim impact statements, the sheriff got him back...he recorded those victim impact statements and had the deputies play them over and over and over as they transported him to prison 145 miles away.

http://www.oxygen.com/crime-time/ki...impact-statements-forced-to-listen-to-them-on

It is wonderful what the sheriff did he should be forced to hear them on loop in his jail cell for the rest of his life.

Post made in the last hour by Jessica’s mum on the Find Jessica Heeringa Facebook Page

“Hi, everyone I just wanted to thank everyone who shared my daughters flyer, if I'm going to find my daughter, I need the help of all of you, by Law Enforcement doing what they did, that tells me they are no longer looking for my daughter. Thank you so much. Jes is out there, she is alive, I pray for guidance from God and everytime I'm shown that she is still alive. I know there are people out there that just haven't followed my daughters case, but who have actively looked or looked into people, if your one of those people you must see like me that this farce of a trial does not make any sense. NO JES NO JUSTICE”

Is there any way his defence could use these posts by Jessica’s family to try and attempt to help him?

I would just like to say I still pray Jessica is found each day and I can’t imagine what her family are going through.

Post made in the last hour by Jessica’s mum on the Find Jessica Heeringa Facebook Page

“Hi, everyone I just wanted to thank everyone who shared my daughters flyer, if I'm going to find my daughter, I need the help of all of you, by Law Enforcement doing what they did, that tells me they are no longer looking for my daughter. Thank you so much. Jes is out there, she is alive, I pray for guidance from God and everytime I'm shown that she is still alive. I know there are people out there that just haven't followed my daughters case, but who have actively looked or looked into people, if your one of those people you must see like me that this farce of a trial does not make any sense. NO JES NO JUSTICE”

Is there any way his defence could use these posts by Jessica’s family to try and attempt to help him?
I have also been following Jessica's mom's Facebook posts and it is heartbreaking to read them. I personally believe LE has the right guy and that Willis murdered Jessica shortly after he abducted her, but I just cannot criticize or fault her family for keeping their hope alive. JW needs to admit to his crimes and tell LE where Jessica's body is buried so that her family can lay her to rest and begin to grieve her death.

I don't really foresee the Facebook posts playing a role in JW's defense, but I suppose they could attempt to put her mom on the stand. A mother of a kidnap/murder victim has strong emotional weight with a jury. But from the Facebook posts, I have seen no real evidence presented that Jessica is still alive. No attempts at contacting her son, mother, or other family or friends. No sightings.
Perhaps the use of her credit card at some point was alleged in a post, that her mother could testify to? Other than that strong feeling she has that her daughter is still alive, there is no evidence to support this claim. Willis without question would call Jessica's mother in as a defense witness but IMO his attorney has displayed greater integrity and will not stoop so low as to take advantage of a grieving mother's hope that her daughter lives.

I guess we'll soon see. I expect JW will take the stand again. I wonder if KB will be called to testify?

I can think of no other case we have had here on websleuths where I hope so fervently that I am absolutely wrong. My prayers are with Jessica's family and friends always, especially during this painful trial.

I don't even know what to say. Wow. I hope LE has shared with the family what proof they have of the abduction and murder, and maybe the family is in denial? I don't know.

I have also been following Jessica's mom's Facebook posts and it is heartbreaking to read them. I personally believe LE has the right guy and that Willis murdered Jessica shortly after he abducted her, but I just cannot criticize or fault her family for keeping their hope alive. JW needs to admit to his crimes and tell LE where Jessica's body is buried so that her family can lay her to rest and begin to grieve her death.

I don't really foresee the Facebook posts playing a role in JW's defense, but I suppose they could attempt to put her mom on the stand. A mother of a kidnap/murder victim has strong emotional weight with a jury. But from the Facebook posts, I have seen no real evidence presented that Jessica is still alive. No attempts at contacting her son, mother, or other family or friends. No sightings.
Perhaps the use of her credit card at some point was alleged in a post, that her mother could testify to? Other than that strong feeling she has that her daughter is still alive, there is no evidence to support this claim. Willis without question would call Jessica's mother in as a defense witness but IMO his attorney has displayed greater integrity and will not stoop so low as to take advantage of a grieving mother's hope that her daughter lives.

I guess we'll soon see. I expect JW will take the stand again. I wonder if KB will be called to testify?

I can think of no other case we have had here on websleuths where I hope so fervently that I am absolutely wrong. My prayers are with Jessica's family and friends always, especially during this painful trial.

I feel exactly the same way you do and agree with everything you have said. It would be absolutely horrendous if this piece of work used Jessica’s mum in some way to try and get away with Jessica’s kidnap and murder.

My heart breaks for Jessica’s mum and family I can understand them wanting to hold onto any hope Jessica is alive. It is likely that law enforcement will have to find Jessica’s remains before they accept she is no longer with us.

Man facing trial in disappearance of gas station clerk
Associated Press

Muskegon – Jury selection is expected to take about two days for the trial of a western Michigan man on murder and kidnapping charges in the 2013 disappearance of a western Michigan gas station clerk.

The trial for Jeffrey Willis is scheduled to last two weeks following Tuesday and Wednesday’s jury selection in Muskegon County Circuit Court...

https://www.detroitnews.com/story/n...-station-abduction-jessica-heeringa/34433677/

https://www.clickondetroit.com/news...ial-in-2013-disappearance-of-a-michigan-clerk

Man facing trial in disappearance of gas station clerk
Associated Press

Muskegon – Jury selection is expected to take about two days for the trial of a western Michigan man on murder and kidnapping charges in the 2013 disappearance of a western Michigan gas station clerk.

The trial for Jeffrey Willis is scheduled to last two weeks following Tuesday and Wednesday’s jury selection in Muskegon County Circuit Court...

https://www.detroitnews.com/story/n...-station-abduction-jessica-heeringa/34433677/

https://www.clickondetroit.com/news/...michigan-clerk

(404 error on second link)

I’m just grateful knowing this monster will never be released no matter what happens with his trial for Jessica’s kidnap and murder. I always feel uneasy about reasonable doubt felt by jurors in murder trials where no victims remains have been recovered.

I wonder how the young lady he tried to kidnap is doing. It must be very difficult to feel safe knowing a man like this tried to kidnap and would likely have killed you.

I’m just grateful knowing this monster will never be released no matter what happens with his trial for Jessica’s kidnap and murder. I always feel uneasy about reasonable doubt felt by jurors in murder trials where no victims remains have been recovered.

I wonder how the young lady he tried to kidnap is doing. It must be very difficult to feel safe knowing a man like this tried to kidnap and would likely have killed you.

She will always live in fear that Willis could get out and come after her. A death sentence would give her peace of mind, but it isn't an option in Michigan.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
knoop