MI MI - Jessica Heeringa, 25, Norton Shores, 26 April 2013 #9 (J. Willis GUILTY)

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Although I understand how they are trying to show a pattern and how this played out, I hope they start getting into some stuff on Jessica soon and jurors aren't getting lost.

Willis has certainly been taking lots of notes and interacting with his attorneys... IMO almost like he is pretending to be part of the legal team. Weird...after all, he is a convicted murderer serving a life sentence.

Tweets from the courtroom are in the comments section here:
By Lynn Moore |

Since the lunch break:

Court is back in session. Prosecutor Hilson has called Michigan State Police Lt. Jeff Crump as the next witness.

He's explaining how guns fire bullets and eject casings.

The serial number on the firearm had been "intentionally" scratched off, Crump says.

Crump tells Hilson he was able to restore the serial number that had been scratched. He also located a second "hidden" serial number on the gun, and the two matched, he says.

Crump says he determined that all three cartridge case were fired by the firearm he was provided.

Now Hilson is asking Crump about the two unfired cartridges from the teen's kidnapping that were recovered on Green Creek Road in 2016.

http://www.mlive.com/news/muskegon/index.ssf/2018/05/jeffrey_willis_trial_live_seco.html

Click the link above, then the comments to continue to follow along.

Heather Walker
@_HeatherWalker
·
18m
Dakotah, (Jessica’s boyfriend) is taking the stand next. #JeffreyWillis

Although I understand how they are trying to show a pattern and how this played out, I hope they start getting into some stuff on Jessica soon and jurors aren't getting lost.

Willis has certainly been taking lots of notes and interacting with his attorneys... IMO almost like he is pretending to be part of the legal team. Weird...after all, he is a convicted murderer serving a life sentence.

I don’t think I will ever be able to figure Willis out.

Thank you to all of you for posting and caring about Jessica and the case.

Given the direction of their questioning today, the defense is going to highlight any relationships in Jessica's life that were turbulent. Any of these people (other than Willis) had a motive -- the boyfriend, the heroin dealer, the step-daughter's mother. I think these complicated relationships may be why LE seemed to flounder back in 2013 instead of following up more seriously on the van, on the tips, on the theory of a stranger abduction. Also they are picking at the meager physical evidence collected at the gas station crime and of course faulted memories 5 years after the fact.

His defence will likely use this to attempt to claim a drug dealer kidnapped and murdered Jessica not Willis.

I’m sure . I don’t think anyone’s buying that ( hopefully ).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Given the direction of their questioning today, the defense is going to highlight any relationships in Jessica's life that were turbulent. Any of these people (other than Willis) had a motive -- the boyfriend, the heroin dealer, the step-daughter's mother. I think these complicated relationships may be why LE seemed to flounder back in 2013 instead of following up more seriously on the van, on the tips, on the theory of a stranger abduction. Also they are picking at the meager physical evidence collected at the gas station crime and of course faulted memories 5 years after the fact.

Sadly, I have to agree after watching the defense questioning yesterday afternoon.

Although it is the defense's job to defend their client, I can't help but feel such distaste when the victim gets victimized doing this.

Hopefully the jury can see through this.

Dana Chicklas
@DanaChicklas
·
2m
Muskegon Co. Prosecutor D.J. Hilson tells me best estimate is he may rest his case on Tuesday #JessicaHeeringa

Dana Chicklas
@DanaChicklas
·
4m
When Foster put the broken laser sight battery cover (found at the gas station 4/26/13) onto Schnotala's gun (the one found in Willis' van), the jury reacted: showing they were very intrigued, leaning forward #JessicaHeeringa

Hello friends --- I have been so busy it's crazy. Anywhere I can get updates/video archives of the trial so far?

Ok! Did I hear this right? anyone else watching the livestream understand that Willis's DNA was found on the laser-sight battery cover found at the crime/abduction scene? Or am I misunderstanding the DNA results? (Which is not unlikely)

And the defense is attempting to get the analyst to minimize these results as insignificant and below thresholds or tolerances for significance?

Ok! Did I hear this right? anyone else watching the livestream understand that Willis's DNA was found on the laser-sight battery cover found at the crime/abduction scene? Or am I misunderstanding the DNA results? (Which is not unlikely)

And the defense is attempting to get the analyst to minimize these results as insignificant and below thresholds or tolerances for significance?

Urghh, sorry but as important as DNA is in these cases, I have a hard time following it. I found this tweet, hope it helps...

Dana Chicklas
@DanaChicklas
·
10m
Schmitt: Tested DNA from Walther P22 handgun laser sight battery cover and found mixture from 2 people: Willis' DNA likely not positive, not excluded, but she found DNA was excluded for #JessicaHeeringa and Kevin Bluhm

________

On a good note...

Dana Chicklas
@DanaChicklas
·
1h
(Following the Mich. House, Mich. Senate passed #RebekahBletsch Law: which requires people convicted to be physically present for victims' impact statements at their sentencing)

FYI...

Dana Chicklas
@DanaChicklas
·
39m
Judge Marietti adjourned trial until 1:30p tomorrow #JessicaHeeringa

I will answer my own question since I had to listen several times to today's videos to even find and begin to understand this. This was not covered in any tweets and I have to wonder how much the jury is following along.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LmqrPpw4hF4
at about 1:24 onward

There are 2 different DNA analysis protocols/systems they used to analyze samples in this case, so these results come from the StarMix analysis tool that analyzes samples with multiple contributors and report in 'likelihood ratios.' The testimony of Michelle Schmitt this afternoon was on a report about finding a likelihood ratio of 36 times more likely that Jeffrey Willis's DNA is a contributor to the sample on the battery cover than that the contribution is from other unrelated individuals. (to paraphrase)

Under cross-examination, defense attorney Johnson does seem to fluster her. Generally findings that have a likelihood ratio of less than 99 are considered inconclusive, but the lab supervisor somehow authorized this one? And '36 times' is much less than the thousands or quintillions of times that are often spoken of in these likelihood reports.

watching today's testimony of JW's computer files. He kept video of his crime and abuse of Jessica, I am certain of it. It just hasn't been found. He has a secret hiding place that is protected from the elements that he kept his 'real' trophies.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
appleatcha