MI MI - Julia Niswender, 23, EMU student, Ypsilanti, 10 Dec 2012 - #2

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't put much into the apartment being in disarray because for a 19-year-old college student that's not unusual. Perhaps it was for Julia. I don't know, but disarray is a relative term. Was furniture knocked over? Drawers pulled open? Broken objects on the floor? Or do they mean clothes were strewn about and used dishes were left out on the counters? In other words, did the condition of the apartment indicate a struggle, a frantic search, or was it simply unkempt?

As for the body being in an "unnatural position", that's another vague term that I tend to disregard because it tells me nothing. Do they mean it was intentional, or the result of the body being in water for an extended period of time?

One thing I did find odd was the bedroom door being locked from the inside. I'll have to look for that again, but I'm pretty sure that's what I read. Why would someone do that?

She was on the first floor, haven't seen anything about the state of her windows.

Appreciate your regard on this very much, bessie.

Found this lil piece of family history from Julia's grandmother @2:21 on the video here, that this isn't the first twin the family lost, slightly O/T

How do you think final exam week would impact how one could get in and out of her room? Checking back on the weather reports, there hadn't been rain or snow from the 9th through the 11th, in the upper 30's avg temps. Maybe disguised as a jogger in the door out the window, at a time where one wouldn't be seen in the common area or hallways for certain, nor outside, probably by back entrances since getting in may not have been an issue with keys (no forced entry reported), maybe?

Police were called when Julia hadn't been seen by her suite-mate

"for two days and the alarm clock in Julia's bedroom kept going off."

"mom and dad say when they realized she hadn't been seen and she had not been to work since Sunday, they started to really worry."

[...Mom] "I called her cell phone and it was dead, then I called my husband and then the panic set in, " says Julia's mom, Kim."

from here

Actually, I deleted the part about the locked bedroom door because obviously that was done to prevent a suitemate from wandering in to find her. It's still a little odd, though, because it was inevitable that her body would be discovered. So did the killer want to buy time, or was that to spare the suitemates from the horror?

I believe she knew the person and let him/her in. But certainly wearing a hooded jacket would have served as something of a disguise to neighbors who might've caught a glimpse of the killer coming and going. Wonder where the suitemates were that day. Who would know their routines or their cars to determine if they were home.

ETA: Julia Niswender was last seen around 5 p.m. Dec. 9, 2012, as she left work at Wal-Mart in Saline. Her roommates called police after not hearing from her for two days. She had two female roommates, and one had gone home for the weekend and the other was "in and out," Jennifer Niswender said.

http://www.detroitnews.com/story/ne...tepfather-slain-emu-student-custody/24377593/

In light of recent events, this statement stands out.

"Our worst fear is that when we find out who did it that it's someone that we know," said Jim.

http://www.fox4news.com/story/20808203/emu-student-julia-niswender-murdered-medical-examiner-rules

Actually, I deleted the part about the locked bedroom door because obviously that was done to prevent a suitemate from wandering in to find her. It's still a little odd, though, because it was inevitable that her body would be discovered. So did the killer want to buy time, or was that to spare the suitemate from the horror?

I believe she knew the person and let him/her in. But certainly wearing a hooded jacket would have served as something of a disguise to neighbors who might've caught a glimpse if the killer coming and going. Wonder where the suitemates were that day. Who would know their routines or their cars to determine if they were home.

In light of recent events, this statement stands out.

"Our worst fear is that when we find out who did it that it's someone that we know," said Jim.

http://www.fox4news.com/story/20808203/emu-student-julia-niswender-murdered-medical-examiner-rules

Just about everything he has said now, in retrospect, but you're right most of what he says is about himself, in a venal way, as Spellbound previously pointed out. Then there's a, I don't know how to put it, fatalism, inevitability, to his statements, not exactly outrage or pleading. I'd never seen any of his interviews before yesterday. In quite a few the impression left is of skepticism toward the detectives and wistful guffaws of frustration at that.

The locked door was probably to confuse the time of death, alibi-wise, I agree. She hadn't been seen by her suite mates or others since she was reported to have had lunch with sister on the 9th, and I think one text with friends otherwise, IIRC. She may have been killed anytime during those two days, but it seems to me probably closer to the 9th, perhaps? To know how to get in and out unseen around a college campus alone without a look out if you're not a student? It would take some considerable effort planning it, not done on a lark, it seems to me.

"According to a statement from Ypsilanti police, the final toxicology report on Niswender’s body by the Washtenaw County Medical Examiner’s Office was inconclusive." from here

From your link
Jim's smirk as he considers what detectives tell him.jpgJim's smirk as he considers what detectives tell him.jpgSmirk hidden under band.jpgWhen he says someone we know.jpgScreenshot 2015-03-07 at 5.26.11 AM.jpg

"Okay. Anything else? No. They said the information that we have is very, very good and we're just going to continue on as we have been doing. I don't know how to feel," said Jim Turnquist, Julia's father.

Just about everything he has said now, in retrospect, but you're right most of what he says is about himself, in a venal way, as Spellbound previously pointed out. Then there's a, I don't know how to put it, fatalism, inevitability, to his statements, not exactly outrage or pleading. I'd never seen any of his interviews before yesterday. In quite a few the impression left is of skepticism toward the detectives and wistful guffaws of frustration at that.

The locked door was probably to confuse the time of death, alibi-wise, I agree. She hadn't been seen by her suite mates or others since she was reported to have had lunch with sister on the 9th, and I think one text with friends otherwise, IIRC. She may have been killed anytime during those two days, but it seems to me probably closer to the 9th, perhaps? To know how to get in and out unseen around a college campus alone without a look out if you're not a student? It would take some considerable effort planning it, not done on a lark, it seems to me.

"According to a statement from Ypsilanti police, the final toxicology report on Niswender’s body by the Washtenaw County Medical Examiner’s Office was inconclusive." from here

From your link
View attachment 70696View attachment 70696View attachment 70697View attachment 70698View attachment 70699

"Okay. Anything else? No. They said the information that we have is very, very good and we're just going to continue on as we have been doing. I don't know how to feel," said Jim Turnquist, Julia's father.

BBM

This is statement chills me:

http://www.fox4news.com/story/208082...examiner-rules

I just don't feel I have seen a true depth of emotional loss from this man. Superficially he appears calm and says the "right words". I know nothing about martial arts, but have questions. How would MA or karate affect a person's outward appearance during a "match" ? (is that the right word?) Is there any training to keep "calmness", outer appearance of peace, etc. I don't even know how to express what I am asking..... maybe, what is projected on the outside by a person using karate or MA?

Also up-thread it was asked whether stepfather had another job besides as a karate trainer. I believe it was stated he had a company that cleaned businesses? Would he have vehicles with a logo for the company? It would make it easy to park by campus apartment and not appear unusual. Knock on door, she lets him (whoever it is) in because she knows him, and then ends up dead. Whether our POI or someone who learned of JN from him........

Gotta leave for for a while now. No time to speculate further. sorry

According to Jennifer, the last contact with Julia was approx. 10:30 p.m. Sunday night. They talked and texted.
According to roommate, Julia's car hadn't move from spot Monday or Tuesday.
According to the police, Julia did not attend her Monday class.
According to roommate, Julia's alarm clock continued to go off Monday and Tuesday.
According to police, Julia may have been murdered in the evening....Sunday evening?

Crime scene: Julia was found in bathtub with water in it. Police are not revealing whether she was partially or fully clothed. Did Julia intend to take a bath and filled the tub when the perp. arrived? Or did the perp. fill the tub to make it look like an accidental drowning?

Whether she was murdered late Sunday or early Monday, my feeling is that the perp. had knowledge that Julia was alone in the apartment. I think he/she had contact with Julia through a call or text in advance. LE would know this through her cell phone.

According to immediate family, LE focused on Jim from the beginning. His lawyer was involved from the beginning.
Obtaining a search warrant on the home...Jim fleeing to the martial arts studio...this shows guilt of something.

My only question is....why has it taken over two years for all of this to unfold? I'm scratching my head on that one...or...could it be that his lawyer has prevented LE from getting to this point?

That is a beautiful tribute video, tarabull. Just what I needed tonight. I will be able to go to bed with happy faces from Julia. Racing thoughts have plagued me too much today.

If anyone knows, where is Julia's real father now? Has he passed, or was he still in her life in any way? I have never read of him or how he feels about losing a daughter.

Biological father is alive and "well" just not active in the twins life.

Someone has asked if JT's cleaning company had clearly labeled vehicles - the answer is no.

There are so many other details to this case that just can not and should not be discussed here that add other dynamics to the case.

Here's my brain wandering - I know that there were things in the apartment that were DNA tested - these things did not point to anyone in the family - there was also additional things that could identify the individual that did not include DNA.

Julia's body did not show physical signs of a fight or struggle - which added to the question of what really happened and was part of why it took so long to call it a homicide.

At one point I know they had turned towards outside of the United States looking for clues....

So many questions left unanswered...

Here's my brain wandering - I know that there were things in the apartment that were DNA tested - these things did not point to anyone in the family - there was also additional things that could identify the individual that did not include DNA.

Julia's body did not show physical signs of a fight or struggle - which added to the question of what really happened and was part of why it took so long to call it a homicide.

At one point I know they had turned towards outside of the United States looking for clues....

Yes MIMommy, so many things! It's interesting that they looked outside of the US.!

I find it SO coincidental that JT was under investigation a month before Julia died.

My thoughts are of nothing good...

I don't put much into the apartment being in disarray because for a 19-year-old college student that's not unusual. Perhaps it was for Julia. I don't know, but disarray is a relative term. Was furniture knocked over? Drawers pulled open? Broken objects on the floor? Or do they mean clothes were strewn about and used dishes were left out on the counters? In other words, did the condition of the apartment indicate a struggle, a frantic search, or was it simply unkempt?

As for the body being in an "unnatural position", that's another vague term that I tend to disregard because it tells me nothing. Do they mean it was intentional, or the result of the body being in water for an extended period of time?

Maybe they were looking for her keys and her things were thrown around.

bbm

"Her cause of death is still under investigation but police are calling it an apparent homicide."

From Dec 12th, 2012

It seems to have been seen as a homicide from the beginning.

I'm sorry for how hard this is for you and very much appreciate your information and participation. I'm new to the thread so please forgive my ignorance if it troubles you. I'm curious about the tanning salon the girls worked at together. Was Julia still working there while she worked at Walmart?

I remember reading somewhere (early in the investigation) that the Peninsular Place apartments are rather cheaply constructed, so the walls might not be soundproof. I don't recall anyone having reported hearing a struggle, but I think only one of the people with whom Julia shared the apartment was there that weekend; the other roommate had apparently gone home for the weekend. If LE reports indicate that Julia's body showed no signs of trauma, there must not have been a struggle that anyone else heard.

Just speculating, but since Julia was a communication/journalism major, maybe she discovered something about her stepfather while doing research.

I remember reading somewhere (early in the investigation) that the Peninsular Place apartments are rather cheaply constructed, so the walls might not be soundproof. I don't recall anyone having reported hearing a struggle, but I think only one of the people with whom Julia shared the apartment was there that weekend; the other roommate had apparently gone home for the weekend. If LE reports indicate that Julia's body showed no signs of trauma, there must not have been a struggle that anyone else heard.

Just speculating, but since Julia was a communication/journalism major, maybe she discovered something about her stepfather while doing research.

Thinking out loud and speculating here, so please don't take this as statements of what occurred. The timing of her murder, the estrangement from her stepdad her grandmother spoke of, the suspicions he may have raised in Julia, whatever action she may have taken to set him into action, if he is the perp, besides being a named POI in her death, it all seems to me, after having watched some of his interviews the theme of his comments, that he was a very insistent man who hassled the investigation for information. He's not shy at going at LE for the information they won't give him in many of his public comments. So he seems to like controlling situations. If he is brazen enough to question LE's investigation in public time after time on MSM, how brazen may he have been against Julia if she knew things that would upset his applecart? Maybe Julia, who avoided him, was out his grasp and that unsettled him. Right now, in jail, awaiting his hearing, I hope those he's fond of controlling have the space and freedom of mind to go over things for themselves.

Did toxicology show anything? Date rape drug? Was she given something to render her unconscious?

These items found in the apartment that had DNA that was not from any family member, could they have been planted?

That's the part that's disturbing to me...no signs of struggle which, IMO, means she didn't feel threatened by the person she encountered before death. Who did she let into her apartment and bedroom before she was strangled? If her roommates were home late Sunday night, say after 11:00 p.m., were they in their bedroom sleeping when Julia's perp. arrived? And...does LE know for a fact that she was murdered Sunday night? Could she have been murdered Monday morning before her alarm went off? Whoever murdered her caught her off guard...she initially didn't feel threatened by this person. Knowing what I have heard through what I have read about Julia's character and personality she would have fought back...but it sounds like she didn't. I would expect that the police know who did it and they are crossing their t's and dotting their i's....so very sad for all who love Julia!

I suppose some of the items may have been planted - others NO!

That's the part that's disturbing to me...no signs of struggle which, IMO, means she didn't feel threatened by the person she encountered before death. Who did she let into her apartment and bedroom before she was strangled? If her roommates were home late Sunday night, say after 11:00 p.m., were they in their bedroom sleeping when Julia's perp. arrived? And...does LE know for a fact that she was murdered Sunday night? Could she have been murdered Monday morning before her alarm went off? Whoever murdered her caught her off guard...she initially didn't feel threatened by this person. Knowing what I have heard through what I have read about Julia's character and personality she would have fought back...but it sounds like she didn't. I would expect that the police know who did it and they are crossing their t's and dotting their i's....so very sad for all who love Julia!

Julia taken by surprise from the back, "asphyxiated", passed out, and drowned is within the realm of scenarios if somebody could get in and out with a key when they knew she would return to an empty place.

Wouldn't her step dad have been the last person she'd want in her apartment, given she avoided him by living with her grandmom for three years prior to living off campus?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lockett