MI MI - Julia Niswender, 23, EMU student, Ypsilanti, 10 Dec 2012 - #5

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
If memory serves me right, I do not believe LE collected the rug, but later asked about where it was, and mom said she did not know but it should be in the storage area with Julia's other possessions.

No Find, I don't believe it was ever in possession of LE.... but I could be wrong.

found confirmation it was never taken as evidence (5th paragraph fro. The bottom of the article)

According to the affidavit, in 2014, investigators realized that a purple rug that was on the floor next to the tub where she was found was never collected as evidence. Police contacted Niswender's mother, who had collected her belongings from the apartment, and asked if they could obtain the rug. Kim Turnquist took the investigators to a storage unit where Niswender's belongings were housed but the rug was not among the items.

Kim Turnquist told police that it was her understanding that Ypsilanti police had collected the rug and was in possession of it. It's unclear what happened to the rug

http://www.freep.com/story/news/loc...sectomy-fbi-profiler-points-stepdad/71507420/

No Find, I don't believe it was ever in possession of LE.... but I could be wrong.

found confirmation it was never taken as evidence (5th paragraph fro. The bottom of the article)

According to the affidavit, in 2014, investigators realized that a purple rug that was on the floor next to the tub where she was found was never collected as evidence. Police contacted Niswender's mother, who had collected her belongings from the apartment, and asked if they could obtain the rug. Kim Turnquist took the investigators to a storage unit where Niswender's belongings were housed but the rug was not among the items.

Kim Turnquist told police that it was her understanding that Ypsilanti police had collected the rug and was in possession of it. It's unclear what happened to the rug

http://www.freep.com/story/news/loc...sectomy-fbi-profiler-points-stepdad/71507420/

Thank you Spellz, for this information. I'll try not to forget again and confuse things about the bathroom rug that went missing.

Thank you Spellz, for this information. I'll try not to forget again and confuse things about the bathroom rug that went missing.

Thanks Spells! I'm just surprised in a murder investigation anything from the bathroom (where Julia was found) would be returned to the family for safekeeping. It's just like giving the evidence away.

Maybe it had been so professional cleaned by the perp, the YPD investigators on the scene deemed it just useless as evidence and left it there.

Looking Glass 517, do you remember if it was ever collected as evidence, then somehow returned to Julia's mom, who was in touch with the detective at the time, IIRC?

FindHG, that's a good point. If the rug was very clean when checked at the crime scene. Maybe it gave YPD the confidence to let it go. Or maybe it was carefully moved out of the way before Julia was placed in the bathtub and returned to it original spot on the way out.

I've been following a missing case here on WS, in MI that reminds me of Julia's case in a few ways. It's the Danielle Steslicki case. Danielle is a 28 year old woman missing from her apartment complex in Farmington Hills MI since December 2nd. (Note the date: in December). She is missing from a large apartment complex that doesn't have camera surveillance. (Just like Julia's complex). There was a recent child *advertiser censored* bust of a male teacher in Berkley MI near an Ice rink that's near Danielle's apartment complex.

I've been following a missing case here on WS, in MI that reminds me of Julia's case in a few ways. It's the Danielle Steslicki case. Danielle is a 28 year old woman missing from her apartment complex in Farmington Hills MI since December 2nd. (Note the date: in December). She is missing from a large apartment complex that doesn't have camera surveillance. (Just like Julia's complex). There was a recent child *advertiser censored* bust of a male teacher in Berkley MI near an Ice rink that's near Danielle's apartment complex.

I heard about it on the news. So far I have not yet looked at the case until now. If I understand correctly,
her car with her credit cards etc inside was found at the place she lived and she was last seen at work.
Note: the correct spelling is : Danielle Stislicki (last name with 3 i's).

https://www.facebook.com/FindDanielleStislicki/

But for the fact that Julia and Danielle are female 20-somethings from Michigan, I see no similarities between the two cases.

Julia was never missing. She was found dead in the bathtub of an apartment that she shared with two roommates. While she worked part-time, Julia was a college student and lived near the campus of Eastern Michigan University. While the case remains unsolved, no arrests have been made or charges filed, Julia's family was able to lay her to rest.

Danielle lives alone and is primarily a working professional. She has been missing for two weeks and no one seems to know where she is or with whom. There is no crime scene, no body, and it's presumed that Danielle might have been abducted and is being held against her will.

Also, her keys and phone are missing, but her purse, credit cards and jeep were left behind. This reminded me of Julia's case were her keys were missing and her phone was found in the bathtub (as if to destroy it). This young woman was last seen leaving work (just like Julia).

This thread has been quiet for months, but I have continued to do my amateur research behind the scenes. While only LE knows the facts of the crime scene, what little the public does know suggests (to me, IMO), a strong "signature". And that signature will be revealed in other crimes, or even in the Perp's work or perhaps hobbies.

I've had several very bright people look at this case with fresh eyes, for a fresh perspective. Every single one of them asked me the same question. "What did she know?"

This thread has been quiet for months, but I have continued to do my amateur research behind the scenes. While only LE knows the facts of the crime scene, what little the public does know suggests (to me, IMO), a strong "signature". And that signature will be revealed in other crimes, or even in the Perp's work or perhaps hobbies.

I've had several very bright people look at this case with fresh eyes, for a fresh perspective. Every single one of them asked me the same question. "What did she know?"

I agree there is some kind of "signature". There are a lot of details that seem unusual to me. So far I have not seen any case that I believe may be connected. The perpetrator may have committed similar crimes before and after Julia's death, but perhaps in other states. For example, if the killer was a fellow student, he may have moved to another state after graduation.

Yes, that could very well be. I think the "signature" may show up in other ways besides another illegal murder. But what about hunting? Perhaps some similarities in style.

I often wonder if there is a connection to college athletes here. Even a friend of an athlete who may have known of a Julia through that person .....

That's a logical consideration Spellbound. Someone who knew the campus, knew how to move furtively. Someone who knew her schedule, was observing/watching. Someone who knew the roomies, and knew Julia would be alone. The timing seemed well planned, just before break when she was alone that night.
Someone who knew how to get in and out of there without detection.
And frankly, I'm not so sure someone didn't see something. It almost seems impossible that they didn't

Without getting too graphic, I am speculating this was either one large strong person, or it had to be two. I can't imagine moving someone around who was over a certain weight without a great deal of effort, and noise. But that bathroom would have been tight enough with two people in it vs. three. Someone very strong who maybe knew how to lift things. Fireman's carry or weight lifter, or.... (*Not* suggesting a firefighter btw, just referencing the lift). The reason I am hung up on this concept is because there was no mention (although I don't know) of signs that Julia wasn't handled "efficiently". Meaning bruising on the face, etc. from moving her around. (Apologies for the indelicate nature of that thought). Perhaps there were these signs and LE just hasn't released that info. But if there weren't signings of banging around or bruising, it means she was moved efficiently. This, to me, suggests a very strong person, adept at lifting and moving.

This is what I am dwelling on this morning over my coffee. This case remains on my mind. It will get solved, and I truly believe the Perp knows that and is looking over their shoulder.

This case is really pinging on me today; my gut is telling me something is up. Perhaps we are close to an arrest? I sure hope so, it's overdue.

Thank you, Roses. we need to keep focus on this one. I am getting impatient for an arrest.

I often wonder if there is a connection to college athletes here. Even a friend of an athlete who may have known of a Julia through that person .....

I think there is a good chance of that.

Julia was attracted to college athletes. She had relationships with several college athletes, and has gone out with several more. Needless to say, I guess, but these athletes are generally tall and strong.

College athletes have often been in negative news because of rape allegations. One athlete who lived at peninsular place was accused of choking his girlfriend. This case was dropped because the victim did not further pursue. Several EMU athletes had been accused of sexual misconduct / assault and similar offenses in high school. Eli Burdette,
former EMU athlete was convicted for criminal sexual conduct. And then there is Daniel Holtzclaw, an ex-EMU football player who raped women while being a police officer in Oklahoma City.

Not all allegations against college athletes may be true, but I do believe that there is a culture among college athletes (and perhaps college campuses in general) that puts women at risk.

You are so right on that Black_Squirrel. A recent and heinous example is Brock Turner from Stanford, convicted of rape, who received a six month sentence. The community was outraged, but this miscreant has moved on with his life fairly unscathed. Athletes do seem to get a hall pass for much of their bad or criminal behavior.

This being said, it seems as if many of these athletes were questioned; I wonder if they volunteered bucal swabs or other samples.
Frankly, while I think this angle should be considered, I am not convinced the Perp was a student

One other angle I think should be scrutinized are the warehouses/businesses within very close proximity to Julia's apartment. I think there is opportunity to delve deeper there. As usual, opinion and speculation only.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member