MI MI - Julia Niswender, 23, EMU student, Ypsilanti, 10 Dec 2012 - #5

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Here are the FBI stats for crimes in Michigan 2012, the year Julia was murdered:
Table 8 - Michigan

The data I am looking at in particular is:

Distance from Ypsilanti
Detroit - 386/441 *(35 miles)*
Flint - 63/108 *(57 miles)*
Grand Rapids - 16/46 (124 miles)
Inkster - 10/32 *(21 miles)*
Lansing - 13/92 (122 miles)
Livonia - 3/19 *(24 miles)*
Saginaw - 27/65 (157 miles)
Sterling Heights - 4/16 (86 miles)

Detroit
2012 Murders/Rapes: 386/441
Population 625K
Avg. age 34
2016 Avg. income $28K, significantly below state avg. of $52K
78.7% African American
10% Caucasian
7.0% Hispanic

Flint
2012 Murders/Rapes: 63/108
Population 97K
Avg. age 34
2015 Avg. Income $25K
52% African American
37% Caucasian
4% Hispanic

Inkster
2012 Murder/Rapes: 10/32
Population 24K
Avg age 34
Avg Income $32K
70% African American
19% Caucasian
3% Hispanic

Livonia
2012 Murder/Rapes: 3/19
Population 94K
Avg age 44
Avg Income $71K
89% caucasian
4% African American
2% Hispanic

Murder/Rapes/Distance of all cities I looked at:
Detroit - 386/441 (35 miles)
Flint - 63/108 (57 miles)
Grand Rapids - 16/46 (124 miles)
Inkster - 10/32 (21 miles)
Lansing - 13/92 (122 miles)
Livonia - 3/19 (24 miles)
Saginaw - 27/65 (157 miles)
Sterling Heights - 4/16 (86 miles)

Please post any thoughts you have from looking at this data. I will after I dwell on this data a bit more. At minimum, I would hope LE is looking very closely at the cases from the two closest towns of Inkster and Livonia.

Last edited:
Ypsilanti is home to a middle-sized university, Eastern Michigan University. I suspect that all college towns have more rapes per capita than ordinary cities.
Many college football players and frat boys make a career out of rape--granted, universities usually cover for the football players--and then you have the non-student lowlifes (why don't people say lowlives?) in the surrounding neighborhoods who think of the coeds as easy pickings.

Ypsilanti is home to a middle-sized university, Eastern Michigan University. I suspect that all college towns have more rapes per capita than ordinary cities.
Many college football players and frat boys make a career out of rape--granted, universities usually cover for the football players--and then you have the non-student lowlifes (why don't people say lowlives?) in the surrounding neighborhoods who think of the coeds as easy pickings.

I think you make an important point here. Sadly, there are many rapes on campus. There is a culture in high school and college athletics where rape is often tolerated and athletes are protected from prosecution. Although the sexual predators form a minority, they can often make many, many victims. (For example, The sports doctor Larry Nasser at Michigan State molested at least 250 girls!)

Eastern Michigan University is no exception. In fact, they recruited several athletes that had been accused of sexual misconduct in the past.

Also bear in mind that Julia liked to date and hang out with athletes. I know she dated/went out with at least 1 basketball player and several football players. One football player she dated had been accused by a female student of sexual misconduct, but the woman didn't show up in court and later left EMU. However, I believe that police have cleared this person. There was also a basketball player (not the one Julia dated) who also lived at peninsular place who was accused of choking his girlfriend. Also in this case, the GF did not go through with the trial.

Anyway, it is now my gut feeling the Julia's killer may have been an athlete or a coach or something like that, or perhaps a person that lived close to her (at Peninsular Place or one of the nearby apartment complexes). Or perhaps both.

In my opinion, her killer may have moved out of the area, perhaps out of michigan. This is why I am still looking for murders or rapes that have a similar MO anywhere in the United States. Although most students are from Michigan and Ohio, particularly the athletes may come from further away because
they have been recruited because of their athletic ability.

I think you make an important point here. Sadly, there are many rapes on campus. There is a culture in high school and college athletics where rape is often tolerated and athletes are protected from prosecution. Although the sexual predators form a minority, they can often make many, many victims. (For example, The sports doctor Larry Nasser at Michigan State molested at least 250 girls!)

Eastern Michigan University is no exception. In fact, they recruited several athletes that had been accused of sexual misconduct in the past.

Also bear in mind that Julia liked to date and hang out with athletes. I know she dated/went out with at least 1 basketball player and several football players. One football player she dated had been accused by a female student of sexual misconduct, but the woman didn't show up in court and later left EMU. However, I believe that police have cleared this person. There was also a basketball player (not the one Julia dated) who also lived at peninsular place who was accused of choking his girlfriend. Also in this case, the GF did not go through with the trial.

Anyway, it is now my gut feeling the Julia's killer may have been an athlete or a coach or something like that, or perhaps a person that lived close to her (at Peninsular Place or one of the nearby apartment complexes). Or perhaps both.

In my opinion, her killer may have moved out of the area, perhaps out of michigan. This is why I am still looking for murders or rapes that have a similar MO anywhere in the United States. Although most students are from Michigan and Ohio, particularly the athletes may come from further away because
they have been recruited because of their athletic ability.
The vasectomy angle makes a coach or a professor more likely than a student, wouldn't you agree? I can't imagine that many college students have had vasectomies.

Do we know where the vasectomy semen was found? Maybe Julia bought a second-hand throw pillow from the Salvation Army, and the pillow had some old guy's semen stains on it. Maybe the semen is unrelated to the murder.

The vasectomy angle makes a coach or a professor more likely than a student, wouldn't you agree? I can't imagine that many college students have had vasectomies.

Do we know where the vasectomy semen was found? Maybe Julia bought a second-hand throw pillow from the Salvation Army, and the pillow had some old guy's semen stains on it. Maybe the semen is unrelated to the murder.
No, they can tell if it is fresh, and I am guessing it was taken from her body. Don’t know for sure.
I also agree it’s unlikely a college guy would have a vasectomy.

If I recall correctly, the semen was found on her thigh and other parts of her body. If sperm donor had a vasectomy, then I agree that the person is more likely to be in their thirties or older, so less likely to be a student. The findings were consistent with a person having vasectomy. I think this means that there was little or no sperm found in the semen. This can mean that the semen came from a person who had a vasectomy. But there could also be other causes of low sperm counts. These can be certain medical conditions, drug use -- legal and illegal and use of testosterone or anabolic steroids as some athletes do.

Hi All, Like you, I continue to "dig" and look at different "angles" on her case. So far, nothing "new" has been found. I do not have any updates from the Ypsilanti detective to report. I will keep digging to have Justice for Julia. Thanks for all that everyone has done and continues to do. We will solve this case.

Hi All, Like you, I continue to "dig" and look at different "angles" on her case. So far, nothing "new" has been found. I do not have any updates from the Ypsilanti detective to report. I will keep digging to have Justice for Julia. Thanks for all that everyone has done and continues to do. We will solve this case.

Absolutely! A Perp this vicious is not going to stop with one attack. Let's hope they are arrested before another beautiful young woman loses her life. I'm surprised the community isn't being more vocal about finding this vicious criminal roaming amongst them!

This is a question for the websleuthers who believe that Julia was murdered by James Turnquist:
-
Do you believe that there had been any sexual contact between James and Julia prior to that night?
-
I see two possible scenarios involving Turnquist:
1) Maybe James had been having sexual fantasies about Julia for many years but had never acted on them. If he and his wife were sleeping in separate beds and he felt deprived of sex, maybe he finally decided to act out his fantasies in order to both fukfil his desires and punish his wife for withholding sex.
2) Maybe he had been violating Julia for years, and she decided to put a stop to things or even said that she was going to tell her mother.
-
I don't know whether Turnquist is the perp, but he remains my prime suspect. I've never heard whether Daniel Clay had been completely ruled out. I doubt whether either DNA profile on the glove belongs to the perp. If the glove was planted, as LE believes, then it's a virtual certainty that the DNA is not the perp's, in which case the "vasectomy semen" may be the best way to eventually ID Julia's murderer.

Ozoner - You have mentioned possibilities that many have suggested. A long time ago, it was mentioned to the YPSI detective. So far, nothing has been mentioned by them concerning these possibilities. Thanks for "digging" and as you have probably read on this thread , we will have "Justice for Julia".

So good to see activity and some great thinking on the thread again. We are soon coming up on the sixth year since Julia was brutally murdered.

I bet the Perp is counting on time diminishing the commitment for justice. Given the lack of updates from law enforcement or the media, they must think they are home free.

I think they underestimate the resolve and determination of Julia’s loved ones, and the rapid and astonishing advancements in DNA forensics.

The day is coming, on that we can count on. Justice for Julia!

No news or updates I do know the detective has contacted Jennifer but don't know what it was about. At least this means that YPSI is still working the case. I am truly amazed at the successes that Parabon Labs has had with the new DNA testing they are doing. I hope and pray that this type of testing will help LE find Julia's killer. Justice for Julia!!!

No news or updates I do know the detective has contacted Jennifer but don't know what it was about. At least this means that YPSI is still working the case. I am truly amazed at the successes that Parabon Labs has had with the new DNA testing they are doing. I hope and pray that this type of testing will help LE find Julia's killer. Justice for Julia!!!
Thank you for the update Trojan. The Detective contacting Jennifer is a very good sign. I have always believed her contributions will be crucial in solving this case. Justice for Julia!

I've been reviewing Michigan cold cases as well as open missing persons cases. Additionally, I've been studying notable arrests such as John Norman Collins, "The Ypsilanti Ripper", and Ed Kemper who many believe to be the real "Co-ed killer". I watched interviews of both of these men who are still alive and incarcerated. I have several thoughts after spending hours reviewing all this data.

First, I'd like to see the "Innocence Project" review the case of John Norman Collins. I really have some reasonable doubt about his conviction, and I think it merits a second look.

Ed Kemper - is an incredibly invaluable look in to the mind of a mentally ill serial killer. Take some time to watch his interviews on YouTube; alot to learn from this, IMO.

As far as Julia is concerned, I actually think her killer could have been "inspired" by the Ypsilanti ripper/Co-ed murderer. Only LE would know if any of the "signature" looked copy cat. I wouldn't be surprised.

With regard to any connection to other cold cases or missing persons, I did look at all open cases and a few jumped out at me.

The first I have posted about many times before, and actually isn't a cold case; Chelsea Bruck. Jennifer Niswender and Kassandra Bruck were best friends. Kassandra's sister Chelsea is murdered and so is Jennifer's sister Julia. I know folks keep dismissing this, but I'm not letting it go. We know D.C. is in prison for Chelsea's murder. Is there a connection to Julia? Did D.C. act alone? Did one of his associates kill Julia? The connection is just too close. Crazy close. In my amateur opinion, this needs to be explored again.

Danielle Stislicki - 37 miles from Ypsilanti in Southfield. The person of interest in that unsolved case is a *security guard*. I want to know if he EVER worked at Peninsular Place, Walmart, or any of the buildings that J.T. and Julia cleaned. I would put this at the *top* of my list to investigate. I am *not* saying this person is guilty of anything, I am suggesting, in the spirit of thorough investigation, that he be ruled out. Oh, and I want to know if he had a vasectomy....

Other connections I would explore would be missing Jenna Verhille from South Rockwood (29 miles),Alicia Digna from Romulus (14 miles), and Amanda Bullock from Clarkston (46 miles).

That's what I've got ATM, and I have a strong hunch regarding one of these speculations. More to follow...

*Amateur opinion and speculation only*

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member