MI MI - Julia Niswender, 23, EMU student, Ypsilanti, 10 Dec 2012 - #6

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
No new news or updates.... I continue to "dig" and do my research as I have always done. My prayers are that we will have some progress in the near future and possibly solve her murder to help our family finally get some "closure". We have lost an angel and I wonder what she could tell us if she could. Maybe more publicity will force the Ypsilanti Police Department to seek outside assistance. We have been told all along that this is a "very solvable case" by them but don't you think over eight years is more than enough time if it is truly solvable! I pray for Justice for Julia.

I have submitted three FOIA requests to the City of Ypsilanti. All three were denied because - direct quote from denial form :"All records within the City re Julia Niswender are currently exempt under Foia as the file is an ongoing open investigation and pursuant to MCL 15.243 Sec. 13(1)(b)(i) and (v)."
It looks like they will not say anything to anyone! The more this happens, one has to wonder if there is possibly some sort of "cover-up" by the YPD concerning their initial CSI and their investigation. Remember, it was about two years after the fact that they were looking for the "missing" purple rug which was in the crime scene photos but not in their evidence room! I will continue to pursue other avenues available to me. I have appealed the three denials but I'm sure those will not result in any information for me. Onward and upward...... Justice for Julia!

I have submitted three FOIA requests to the City of Ypsilanti. All three were denied because - direct quote from denial form :"All records within the City re Julia Niswender are currently exempt under Foia as the file is an ongoing open investigation and pursuant to MCL 15.243 Sec. 13(1)(b)(i) and (v)."
It looks like they will not say anything to anyone! The more this happens, one has to wonder if there is possibly some sort of "cover-up" by the YPD concerning their initial CSI and their investigation. Remember, it was about two years after the fact that they were looking for the "missing" purple rug which was in the crime scene photos but not in their evidence room! I will continue to pursue other avenues available to me. I have appealed the three denials but I'm sure those will not result in any information for me. Onward and upward...... Justice for Julia!

I submit FOIA regularly for work and it's common practice to deny FOIAs on investigations that are "open and active"

it's still incredibly frustrating.

I submit FOIA regularly for work and it's common practice to deny FOIAs on investigations that are "open and active"

it's still incredibly frustrating.
Thanks for this info Nina. It’s good to know this is SOP vs. some other potential roadblock. I know this must be extremely frustrating for the family since so much time has elapsed without answers.

I think the best thing that can be done is for family to lean in with LE and keep going over every little detail possible. Through their collaboration, they may shake loose some little detail of info that seems inconsequential on its own, but could be that one little piece of the puzzle that finally leads to an arrest.

amateur opinion and speculation

I am not sure how to post a link to something posted on YouTube but there is a group or site called "Explore With Us" that has started posting information about Julia's case. These include interviews with many family members. I did an interview as did Kim Julia's mom), Jennifer (Julia's twin) and Barbra (Julia's cousin). They recently aired Part 1 and seem to indicate there may be two more parts in the future. If you go there, read all the comments posted by other people.
Check later for the two parts that will be posted. Not sure if this will work but try using this address to your browser:

A reminder of the people, the family behind this unfathomable loss. This thread is for them, and for Justice for Julia!

Amateur opinion and speculation
Julia was a very pretty girl, seemed to be pretty responsible & hard worker too. I pray that the family get answers, has to be so frustrating for them.

When I submitted the FOIA requests to the City of Ypsilanti, I asked for copies of the press releases from the Police Department. The Police Department said that they did not have copies and that those records are unavailable! Their exact answer was "Record does not exist. There is no record of the requested press release located within the City of Ypsilanti." This information was cited in a MLive article on September 2, 2015 by Darcie Moran. Here's what was in the article said :" police named Turnquist a person of interest in the death in March." If they did this, why is there not a record of this? Just one of many questions I have. The title of the article was " Documents detail suspicions of stepfather in Julia Niswender homicide"

When I submitted the FOIA requests to the City of Ypsilanti, I asked for copies of the press releases from the Police Department. The Police Department said that they did not have copies and that those records are unavailable! Their exact answer was "Record does not exist. There is no record of the requested press release located within the City of Ypsilanti." This information was cited in a MLive article on September 2, 2015 by Darcie Moran. Here's what was in the article said :" police named Turnquist a person of interest in the death in March." If they did this, why is there not a record of this? Just one of many questions I have. The title of the article was " Documents detail suspicions of stepfather in Julia Niswender homicide"
Yes, here is the article:
Documents detail suspicions of stepfather in Julia Niswender homicide

I watched the 3-part series of videos/interviews with the family that Trojan mentions upthread.

This family has been through the worse kind of hell that we can only imagine. It is very normal for a heinous murder like this to separate families and cause major strife. The outrage, the anger has no place to properly land until there is an arrest. But when families are divided, the Perp wins. I pray that the family can unite for the common cause of Justice for Julia, and engage a professional to help them heal and repair their family bond. They deserve our support and prayers. Peace to all.

I watched the 3-part series of videos/interviews with the family that Trojan mentions upthread.

This family has been through the worse kind of hell that we can only imagine. It is very normal for a heinous murder like this to separate families and cause major strife. The outrage, the anger has no place to properly land until there is an arrest. But when families are divided, the Perp wins. I pray that the family can unite for the common cause of Justice for Julia, and engage a professional to help them heal and repair their family bond. They deserve our support and prayers. Peace to all.

Well said Roses, such a sad life changing event, that seems to have torn this family apart. I to watched the 3 Explore for us videos on YouTube.

I submitted appeals on the three FOIA requests I submitted to Ypsilanti City Council. All three were denied. I guess I'll have to continue to find other avenues to persue!
I would ask a LE or legal professional who deals with criminal cases what this denial might mean. To me, it signals an active case with information in those reports that is very specific to the Perp. As such, (and if that is accurate), I can understand why they wouldn't release the data; even to bereaved family. You never want to tip your hand to the Perp and reveal what you know. That just gives them the opportunity to reframe things prior to trial. You don't want those reports with detail that will convict them out in the general public; it could impact a conviction.

As always, just an amateur opinion and speculation

One FOIA request was for a copy of their "press release" stating James Turnquist was identified as a person of interest. They said they don't have a copy or would not provide one!

One FOIA request was for a copy of their "press release" stating James Turnquist was identified as a person of interest. They said they don't have a copy or would not provide one!
Hmmm. That seems odd. Is that not public record easily found by googling? I know we have all seen that article, which references the impressions of the FBI as well.

amateur opinion and speculation

Yes, the identifiction of the POI is a public record but the YPD did not have a copy of their press release! Another example of their great record keeping of documentation. Where's the purple rug??

Yes, the identifiction of the POI is a public record but the YPD did not have a copy of their press release! Another example of their great record keeping of documentation. Where's the purple rug??

I recall you mentioning that both Julia’s Mom & step Dad, were allowed into Julia’s apartment very soon after Julia’s body was found.... supposedly to get an outfit for Julia to wear at the funeral. But instead, did you say they ended up taking ALL of Julia’s stuff out of her place that day. You mentioned before that Grandma Rose was there, and saw the step Dad come out of Julia’s room with big trash bags of stuff. I would suspect that the purple rug may have been in that bag.

11 women file lawsuit alleging EMU mishandled sexual assault claims

"...The 13-count lawsuit alleges the 11 women were raped by four different men, three of whom are facing criminal charges: Dustyn Durbin, Thomas Hernandez and D’Angelo McWilliams, a Washtenaw County Sheriff’s Deputy who is on unpaid administrative leave."

11 women file lawsuit alleging Eastern Michigan University mishandled sexual assault claims

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Onus
Back