MI MI - Julia Niswender, 23, EMU student, Ypsilanti, 10 Dec 2012 - #6

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
We need more transparency in why Julia's case was rejected by MSP.
*Who specifically rejected it, and why?
*How are these cases ranked, chosen, rejected? How does Julia's case "rank" against the others?
*How often are the cases reviewed and what is that process?
*What is the process for case appeal, and who is the ultimate adjudicator?
*Who monitors and reviews the decisions made by the MSP cold case team to insure fairness?
*How many cold cases has MSP solved in the past five years? Who were they?
*Do the Cold Case decisions get reviewed an approved by the MSP Director Colonel Joseph Gasper?
*Govenor Whitmer highlights record $1B investment to fund police, fire

Transparency is needed to explain why Julia's cold case is being ignored by MSP. How do you ignore a brutal murder knowing that the person responsible is still roaming about free threatening the safety of the citizens? Why haven't the local authorities taken a more vigorous approach to teaming with the media to plea for leads, info?

There are many questions that need to be answered.

Amateur opinion and speculation
I have emailed the MSP website and will be awaiting their answer. Julia's case was not added to the other cold cases being investigated by the MSP Brighton Post as they are currently investigating 63 other cold cases and their resources are limited with that many cases. This is understandable but I don't know how they determine which cases get priority.

I have emailed the MSP website and will be awaiting their answer. Julia's case was not added to the other cold cases being investigated by the MSP Brighton Post as they are currently investigating 63 other cold cases and their resources are limited with that many cases. This is understandable but I don't know how they determine which cases get priority.
Well now they have the resources. No more excuses!

This is a long shot, but you never know.
This miscreant is now being investigated as a possible serial killer, above and beyond the Idaho murders. His educational background fits my profile of someone possessing crime scene knowledge, beyond the general populace. He lived near De Salle in PA, and would have been around 18 when Julia was murdered. Did he ever travel to EMU? Worth looking in to. A long shot, but worthy of investigation.

Is the step-dad a named POI? I need to know that before I say anything else.

“The 12-page search warrant affidavit, written by Ypsilanti Police Detective Annette Coppock, was later given to the Free Press through a Freedom of Information Act request after the department initially refused to release it. The affidavit shed new light on Ypsilanti's investigation into Turnquist, why they believe he's a person of interest and previously unreleased details on Niswender's homicide. Allegations of sexual abuse, an FBI behavioral assessment and a vasectomy are among the evidence that led police to name him a person of interest.”

This seems to indicate that he was, but is from 2015.

https://www.freep.com/story/news/lo...ty-child-*advertiser censored*-case/72559494/

*initial link not working.
Another,

Is the step-dad a named POI? I need to know that before I say anything else.
The Ypsilanti Police Department does not seem to be too cooperative with the media and to my knowledge have never released a statement to say that James Turnquist is no longer a person of interest. Basically, the YPD does not communicate well with anyone!

This is a long shot, but you never know.
This miscreant is now being investigated as a possible serial killer, above and beyond the Idaho murders. His educational background fits my profile of someone possessing crime scene knowledge, beyond the general populace. He lived near De Salle in PA, and would have been around 18 when Julia was murdered. Did he ever travel to EMU? Worth looking in to. A long shot, but worthy of investigation.

His DNA is in CODIS and to my knowledge, it does not match the DNA from Julia's case.

Short update...... Julia's mom, Kim, had a meeting scheduled with the Chirf of Police and the lead detective. The day of the meeting, Ypsilanti cancelled it! Why? I have no idea. Again, YPD is not very cooperative with anyone!

Short update...... Julia's mom, Kim, had a meeting scheduled with the Chirf of Police and the lead detective. The day of the meeting, Ypsilanti cancelled it! Why? I have no idea. Again, YPD is not very cooperative with anyone!
I really think you need to meet with the mayor and the DA. You have plenty of history (10 years of it) to tell you the Ypsi PD route isn’t producing an arrest. See what the Mayor and DA are willing to do.

Well yeah. Because they think JT did it.
Then they need to have discussions with pro’s like Othram or Parabon on a testing path , while not compromising whatever evidence they have. Test it, cuff him, or move on. Sitting on the evidence, however fragile it is, will not solve the case.

Bring in Othram or Parabon to see if they can move this case along.

I have a question for all of you….who knew Julia was going to be alone? Someone knew her schedule very well, and that of her roomies. Who is the person that would know that? Has to be a very small list, IWT.

In a little over a week, I will be in Michigan for a short visit. No one at YPD has responded to my request for a meeting. I am meeting with the Washtenaw County Prosecutor. He has been the only person that has sat down with me to discuss Julia's case. I am so grateful for him taking time to meet with me.

In a little over a week, I will be in Michigan for a short visit. No one at YPD has responded to my request for a meeting. I am meeting with the Washtenaw County Prosecutor. He has been the only person that has sat down with me to discuss Julia's case. I am so grateful for him taking time to meet with me.
He sounds like a good, caring man.
Praying for action to move Julia’s case forward!

I have heard that some people are spreading unfounded facts concerning Julia's murder. I am disappointed by this as none of the things that have been said can be verified but are only someone's opinion. There have been some FaceBook and other video pod casts that seem to dwell upon unproven and unreliable sources. In the future if there are any true and reliable information, I will take it upon myself to post information. Most of what has been posted by others is pure theory of what they believe may have happened. My main contention is that YPD did a terrible job initially and some important information and in depth investigation was not done correctly. YPD botched this investigation up from the very start and now does not want anyone or any organization to become involved that may "find" all their "mistakes". This fact seems irrelevant as the ultimate goal should be to solve Julia's murder and possibly bring some closure to our entire family.
I welcome all the "help" members have brought forward and possible theories of what may have actually happened. These provide valuable assistance to us and provide possible areas to investigate. I am a firm believer in the fact that the more people involved is very beneficial to all concerned. A "different set of eyes" may see something that has been overlooked. Our ultimate goal is to find Justice for Julia!

I have heard that some people are spreading unfounded facts concerning Julia's murder. I am disappointed by this as none of the things that have been said can be verified but are only someone's opinion. There have been some FaceBook and other video pod casts that seem to dwell upon unproven and unreliable sources. In the future if there are any true and reliable information, I will take it upon myself to post information. Most of what has been posted by others is pure theory of what they believe may have happened. My main contention is that YPD did a terrible job initially and some important information and in depth investigation was not done correctly. YPD botched this investigation up from the very start and now does not want anyone or any organization to become involved that may "find" all their "mistakes". This fact seems irrelevant as the ultimate goal should be to solve Julia's murder and possibly bring some closure to our entire family.
I welcome all the "help" members have brought forward and possible theories of what may have actually happened. These provide valuable assistance to us and provide possible areas to investigate. I am a firm believer in the fact that the more people involved is very beneficial to all concerned. A "different set of eyes" may see something that has been overlooked. Our ultimate goal is to find Justice for Julia!
Trojan, Have you thought about contacting Mandy Matney (of the Murdaugh Murders Podcast)? She is interested in eventually having her team cover some additional cases outside of S. Carolina, and she's especially interested in the intersection of government corruption and crime (I don't know if Julia's case involved corruption or simple laziness, but it seems like your family has been ignored and gaslighted by law enforcement and the state.). I think she may especially be interested in Ypsi's reluctance or resistance to getting the state police involved, and potentially the angle of EMU in general having a rather nonchalant attitude about murder and sexual assault involving undergraduates. (MOO)

Last edited:
Trojan, Have you thought about contacting Mandy Matney (of the Murdaugh Murders Podcast)? She is interested in eventually having her team cover some additional cases outside of S. Carolina, and she's especially interested in the intersection of government corruption and crime (I don't know if Julia's case involved corruption or simple laziness, but it seems like your family has been ignored and gaslighted by law enforcement and the state.). I think she may especially be interested in Ypsi's reluctance or resistance to getting the state police involved, and potentially the angle of EMU in general having a rather nonchalant attitude about murder and sexual assault involving undergraduates. (MOO)
This would be a great idea, but the Ypsilanti Police Department continues to not accept any help from any "outside" agency, regardless of who it is. An outside agency would need access to all of the information YPD has in their files which is something they don't want to happen for whatever reason. Could this be a "coverup" because they have made so many "mistakes" from day one? One day the truth will come out!

Here's a bit of info as an update..... I went to Michigan and met with the Washtenaw County Prosecutor on April 13th. We met for almost an hour. He mentioned that he has not been approached by YPD concerning Julia's case. He does not get involved until LE seeks an arrest warrant. Then he would review the evidence and make a decision as to whether or not there is adequate evidence that he could use to convince a jury beyond a reasonable doubt in a trial. If the evidence is adequate, an arrest warrant will be sought. If not, then he would tell YPD that more substantial evidence is needed. So far, this has not happened. He was very well aware of my feelings and said he could understand where I was coming from. He said that hopefully in the future, YPD will have a "new" permanent Chief of Police as he believes Ypsilanti has started the interview process. He said that with a "new" Chief, he may be more "open" to communicate not only with me but with the news media to bring Julia's murder to the public's attention. A new Chief may welcome outside organizations willing to assist YPD. This is our hope for the future!

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AngelikaBor
Back