MI MI - Julia Niswender, 23, EMU student, Ypsilanti, 10 Dec 2012 - #6

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Here's a bit of info as an update..... I went to Michigan and met with the Washtenaw County Prosecutor on April 13th. We met for almost an hour. He mentioned that he has not been approached by YPD concerning Julia's case. He does not get involved until LE seeks an arrest warrant. Then he would review the evidence and make a decision as to whether or not there is adequate evidence that he could use to convince a jury beyond a reasonable doubt in a trial. If the evidence is adequate, an arrest warrant will be sought. If not, then he would tell YPD that more substantial evidence is needed. So far, this has not happened. He was very well aware of my feelings and said he could understand where I was coming from. He said that hopefully in the future, YPD will have a "new" permanent Chief of Police as he believes Ypsilanti has started the interview process. He said that with a "new" Chief, he may be more "open" to communicate not only with me but with the news media to bring Julia's murder to the public's attention. A new Chief may welcome outside organizations willing to assist YPD. This is our hope for the future!
thank you so much for this update. I hope that you and the family know there are many people invested in her case hoping that long awaited justice will finally be served

Here's a bit of info as an update..... I went to Michigan and met with the Washtenaw County Prosecutor on April 13th. We met for almost an hour. He mentioned that he has not been approached by YPD concerning Julia's case. He does not get involved until LE seeks an arrest warrant. Then he would review the evidence and make a decision as to whether or not there is adequate evidence that he could use to convince a jury beyond a reasonable doubt in a trial. If the evidence is adequate, an arrest warrant will be sought. If not, then he would tell YPD that more substantial evidence is needed. So far, this has not happened. He was very well aware of my feelings and said he could understand where I was coming from. He said that hopefully in the future, YPD will have a "new" permanent Chief of Police as he believes Ypsilanti has started the interview process. He said that with a "new" Chief, he may be more "open" to communicate not only with me but with the news media to bring Julia's murder to the public's attention. A new Chief may welcome outside organizations willing to assist YPD. This is our hope for the future!
I respect and applaud the County Prosecutor for his transparent, and human approach to Julia’s case. I think he will ultimately bring Julia’s horrific murder to Justice. Let’s count on it.

Now, an appeal. I believe the Perp is known to others. Holding this knowledge must be a terrible, terrible weight. It might even be very frightening. Coming forth, even anonymously, requires bravery. But it’s freeing, and will give you the peace you are missing. I am praying for your courage to do the right thing, and forever be a hero.

Amateur opinion and speculation

Great news !!!!! Ypsilanti Police Department now has a new Chief of Police. He is from the Henderson, Nevada Police Department with many years of experience.... he is Kirk Moore. He was hired 4 days ago. He may be our hope to have something done on Julia's case. I'll give him a week to settle in, then I'll start emailing him. Let's all pray that he will be more willing to work with an "outside" agency on Julia's case.

Great news !!!!! Ypsilanti Police Department now has a new Chief of Police. He is from the Henderson, Nevada Police Department with many years of experience.... he is Kirk Moore. He was hired 4 days ago. He may be our hope to have something done on Julia's case. I'll give him a week to settle in, then I'll start emailing him. Let's all pray that he will be more willing to work with an "outside" agency on Julia's case.
So happy to hear this Trojan!
Let's hope that there is finally justice for Julia!

Julia’s mom needs to give a formal statement and take a poly to once and for all clear her ex as a POI. This will compel LE to look elsewhere and move the case forward.

I don’t see this case moving forward until that happens.

This is good news. Hopefully police will be able (and willing) to do more with the DNA evidence they have, perhaps with help from outside agencies. If Ypsi police really wanted, I think they could convince state police to take up the case.

This is good news. Hopefully police will be able (and willing) to do more with the DNA evidence they have, perhaps with help from outside agencies. If Ypsi police really wanted, I think they could convince state police to take up the case.
Yes, I’m sure they could. They seem to be entrenched with one focus. That’s why I’d like to see Julia’s mom clear the existing POI. She provided his alibi; she is the only one who can help formally clear him and move the case forward.

ADMIN REMINDER:

Please remember it is against our Terms of Service to start a petition, letter writing campaign or to suggest posters should call someone to get action.

In other words no type of organizing members for a cause is allowed unless it is first approved by Websleuths management.

If you have any questions please send me a private message or email websleuthscomments@gmail.com

Thank you,
Tricia

Well hopefully we will see Julia’s cold case possibly get some attention now. Truly sounds like YPSI aren’t on the ball

More good news. According to Ypsilanti Police facebook, Lead detective Coppock is retiring.

City of Ypsilanti - Police Department

Yes, Detective Annette Coppock retired on Friday (28th). She was the lead detective on Julia's case, so now I'll have to wait to see who is put in-charge by the new Chief. I'm letting him get "settled in" before I start emailing him. He sounds like someone with lots of experience and wants to have transparency for the police department. Time will tell. He may be more receptive to some "outside" assistance too.

Julia’s mom needs to give a formal statement and take a poly to once and for all clear her ex as a POI. This will compel LE to look elsewhere and move the case forward.

I don’t see this case moving forward until that happens.

I am confused, Julia’s ex? Or the moms ex? I didn’t have any inkling the mom was involved in any way. Can you help me understand? Thank you in advance! I am local to this case and it has haunted me for years!!

I am confused, Julia’s ex? Or the moms ex? I didn’t have any inkling the mom was involved in any way. Can you help me understand? Thank you in advance! I am local to this case and it has haunted me for years!!
Julia’s mom was married to a man who is named a POI in Julia’s case. Julia’s mom is now divorced from this man; he is now her ex. Julia’s mom adamantly maintains his innocence, despite their divorce.

Julia’s mom, and her entire family are innocent victims of this horrific act. I pray they find Justice.

Last edited:
I just finished going through this thread for the first time; This has been my first time hearing about Julia's case. I hope that this new change brings about peace, truth, and justice for Julia. Trojan, you are in my thoughts.

Murdered over 10 years ago...

Pin on In our heartsPolice: Stepfather of slain EMU student in custodyJulia Niswender Murder: How Did She Die? Who Killed Julia Niswender? UpdateEMU detective to assist Ypsilanti police in Julia Niswender homicide ...Julia Niswender's family speaks out: 'Don't be a coward; speak up ...
Julia Niswender, age 23, murdered 10 December 2012

LINKS:

Julia's murder occurred off-campus (Peninsular Place Apartments), thus the Ypsilanti Police Department has the responsibility to do the investigation. I'm not sure where the EMU Police station is located but I believe it is relatively close to the apartment complex.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AngelikaBor
Back