MI MI - Julia Niswender, 23, EMU student, Ypsilanti, 10 Dec 2012 - #6

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Julia's murder occurred off-campus (Peninsular Place Apartments), thus the Ypsilanti Police Department has the responsibility to do the investigation. I'm not sure where the EMU Police station is located but I believe it is relatively close to the apartment complex.
The EMU police station is basically right on the northwest corner of the campus, about half a mile from Penninsular Place if you're driving but more like a quarter of a mile as the crow flies.

Julia's murder occurred off-campus (Peninsular Place Apartments), thus the Ypsilanti Police Department has the responsibility to do the investigation. I'm not sure where the EMU Police station is located but I believe it is relatively close to the apartment complex.
Gotcha.

An old news article stated it as being across the street which made me curious about the proximity of their cameras in relation to the apartment complex. That is assuming they even had any.

“… at the Peninsular Place Apartments on Huron River Drive, located across the street from the campus police station.”

I tried to confirm using Google Maps but it only shows a street view of the apartment complex from the back parking lot and there definitely isn’t a campus police across the way of that lot. Not in present day anyway. I can only assume CBS was wrong in their reporting or things have changed/moved in the years since, thus figuring it was worth the shot of asking here just in case any locals/former students or tenants/etc. still have eyes in this thread and may be able to recall whether or not the station had ever actually been across the street.

Last edited:
Gotcha.

An old news article stated it as being across the street which made me curious about the proximity of their cameras in relation to the apartment complex. That is assuming they even had any.

“… at the Peninsular Place Apartments on Huron River Drive, located across the street from the campus police station.”

I tried to confirm using Google Maps but it only shows a street view of the apartment complex from the back parking lot and there definitely isn’t a campus police across the way of that lot. Not in present day anyway. I can only assume CBS was wrong in their reporting or things have changed/moved in the years since, thus figuring it was worth the shot of asking here just in case any locals/former students or tenants/etc. still have eyes in this thread and may be able to recall whether or not the station had ever actually been across the street.
I see what you do. The EMU public safety building is 0.6 miles from Peninsular Apartments; a 3 min car drive via N Huron River Drive.

Amateur opinion and speculation

I was going through my "Julia" files today and came across an old news clip shortly after Julia's tragic murder.
I hope that the new Ypsi police chief and detective are reviewing all these old news clips. In one, the family is still in shock. Listening to the youngest sister is absolutely heart breaking, and I hope Ypsi P.D., the D.A., and the Mayor hear her anguish and take vigorous action. The deviant that brutalized and slayed Julia is still walking free amongst society; likely hiding in plain sight amongst the citizenry in a respected position, perhaps with authority. Enough authority to get Julia to open her door that night.

It is my amateur opinion and speculation that Julia's murder, and who perpetrated it, is known to the significant other of the Perp. They haven't come forward knowing the price that will be paid in doing so, but their failure to act will result in a total loss in the end. And no, I'm not referring to Julia's mom. I think the Perp is close to the family though, someone Julia knew.

Julia's case will be solved. I hope anyone who has knowledge will come forth prior to the ultimate discovery that is coming. I'm sure the last ten years have been filled with sleepless nights.

This is just amateur opinion and speculation

<respectfully snipped>

Besides Julia's untimely death, the fact that her mother has refused to provide a formal statement to YPD is, for me, the most troubling aspect of this case. I simply cannot fathom a mother not wanting to do everything possible to cooperate with LE to find out who murdered her daughter and the motive behind the heinous crime. Why is Kim refusing to make a formal statement to YPD? Those who have nothing to hide - hide nothing...

This. It doesn't make sense to me either. I also can't shake the feeling that there was something wrong with the dynamic in the Turnquist household. Having said that, Jim Turnquist may or may not have been involved in Julia's murder. I've noticed that some people claim that he has been exonerated, but I haven't seen anything to indicate that. The male DNA that was too weak to test could possibly belong to him or someone else, and as Julia's granddad said, there's no word that he's no longer considered a person of interest, although that could be chalked up to LE's unwillingness to give updates or share information (they must have messed up the investigation, otherwise why are they being so tight-lipped, not taking outside help, not giving the family updates, etc). It's hard to know about this latest detail of a possible lead since the CTV footage was erased, it could be a long shot. Such a frustrating case!

Last edited:
This. It doesn't make sense to me either. I also can't shake the feeling that there was something wrong with the dynamic in the Turnquist household. Having said that, Jim Turnquist may or may not have been involved in Julia's murder. I've noticed that some people claim that he has been exonerated, but I haven't seen anything to indicate that. The male DNA that was too weak to test could possibly belong to him or someone else, and as Julia's granddad said, there's no word that he's no longer considered a person of interest, although that could be chalked up to LE's unwillingness to give updates or share information (they must have messed up the investigation, otherwise why are they being so tight-lipped, not taking outside help, not giving the family updates, etc). It's hard to know about this latest detail of a possible lead since the CTV footage was erased, it could be a long shot. Such a frustrating case!
You are right, we haven't heard any updates from LE to the public on the status of the EMU coed murderer still on the loose. The last insight came from the step-fathers CP trial, where we learned he was a POI in Julia's murder. Nothing since then, which was 2015. The complacency of the citizenry has me baffled. An EMU coed was brutally murdered and the Perp hasn't been caught. Why aren't the citizens of Ypsilanti and EMU up in arms demanding action from the Police Chief and Mayor?

Why?

You are right, we haven't heard any updates from LE to the public on the status of the EMU coed murderer still on the loose. The last insight came from the step-fathers CP trial, where we learned he was a POI in Julia's murder. Nothing since then, which was 2015. The complacency of the citizenry has me baffled. An EMU coed was brutally murdered and the Perp hasn't been caught. Why aren't the citizens of Ypsilanti and EMU up in arms demanding action from the Police Chief and Mayor?

Why?

There are two possible reasons, in my opinion:
1) There is quite a bit of turnover in the student population each year. Very few of the students on campus now were there in 2012. There could be a few grad students who were there way back then as undergrads, but that would be about it.
2) The EMU campus is fairly safe, as is the Depot Town area adjacent to campus, but Ypsilanti overall is not. It is a poverty-stricken, crime-ridden area. The people there couldn't care less about one murder that happened more than a decade ago. There have been countless murders, rapes, assaults, robberies, and overdose deaths in Ypsilanti in the years since then. Life there is "nasty, brutish, and short."

All of the above in IMHO.

Family of slain EMU student divided by suspicions​

From March 2015

Two years ago, a family gathered — consumed with grief.

A mother, a grandmother and two sisters shared their memories of Julia Niswender, an outgoing 23-year-old Eastern Michigan student who was found dead in her bathtub in 2012.

Today, that family is divided.

At issue: James Turnquist, Niswender's stepfather.

The 47-year-old Monroe man has been called a "person of interest" by Ypsilanti police investigating Niswender's death. That revelation came days after he was arrested by deputies with the Monroe County Sheriff's Office and charged with a felony count of possessing child sexually abusive material. No one has been charged in Niswender's death.

Niswender's mother Kim Turnquist — along with Niswender's two sisters and her aunt — are all standing with Turnquist.

"We have no doubts that my dad is innocent," said Jennifer Niswender, Julia's twin. "So we're going to keep going with that positive attitude and move forward."

But some of the family, including Julia's maternal grandmother, Rose Niswender, have their doubts.

"I'm saddened that my daughter and granddaughter cannot see the real truth," she said in a text message.

The grandmother said she hasn't spoken with her daughter — who's married to Turnquist — since December. She said she believes Turnquist should be a person of interest and that other family members also don't support him, but declined to say more before two hearings today in Monroe County.

Turnquist is to be in 1st District Court in Monroe at 8:30 a.m. for a probable cause conference in his criminal case, which is unrelated to the homicide investigation.

Officials have released very few details about the allegations in that case since his Feb. 26 arrest, but said there was more than one photo found.

Turnquist pleaded not guilty and remains behind bars on a $100,000 cash or surety bond. Turnquist's attorney, Paul Stablein, said he plans to ask the court to reduce the bond today.

Stablein told the Free Press he doesn't have all the information in the case yet, but said there are seven photographs that the Prosecutor's Office contends are "possibly" images of women under the age of 18. He hasn't seen any of them, he said.

Later this morning, a pretrial conference is scheduled in another case involving James and Kim Turnquist's 12-year-old daughter in Monroe County. A petition filed by the Department of Human Services late last month sought to remove her from their home.

Children's Protective Services believes the girl is "at a serious risk of harm" if left in the care of her mother, according to the document. Turnquist plans on "standing by her husband" and doesn't believe he poses any risk of harm to their daughter, the petition said.

Kim Turnquist declined to comment for the story at the advice of her attorney. Her 12-year-old daughter is in her custody, but her husband's visitation with the child has been suspended, a court document shows.

The arrest

On Feb. 25, the Monroe County Sheriff's Office executed a search warrant at Turnquist's Monroe home.

Authorities seized a family video camera, a digital camera, old cell phones, current cell phones, another laptop computer that was there, thumb drives and DVDs, some of which is being forensically examined, Stablein said.

Shortly after the search, James Turnquist left the home. Not long later, Kim Turnquist went into an insurance office in Monroe and a woman there called 911 around 11:15 a.m.

"Her husband's going to kill himself," the woman told a dispatcher on the call obtained by the Free Press where a frantic woman can be heard in the background. "His wife is here. I don't know where he went."

Michigan State Police found Turnquist at the martial arts center on North Telegraph where he works.

"He was taken into protective custody by us," 1st Lt. Tony Cuevas of the Michigan State Police Monroe Post said, adding they didn't have any reason to arrest him at the time.

Turnquist was taken to ProMedica Monroe Regional Hospital for a psychological evaluation.

Monroe County sheriff's deputies arrested him the next day, Detective Sgt. Jeff Pauli said. He was charged with possessing child sexually abusive material.

A day later, Julia's grandmother, Rose Niswender, filed a personal protection order alleging James Turnquist threatened to "take her out" in December 2012. She also accused him of entering her home without permission around that same time, according to the PPO, which was granted.

"He blames me for police investigating him," she wrote, saying she was fearful he will come after her.

Julia's twin sister, Jennifer Niswender, said her grandmother, who she is estranged from, hasn't spoken to James Turnquist in more than two years.

Julia's aunt, Carrie Niswender, said she is standing 100% behind her brother-in-law. She said she believes he is innocent of possessing child sexually abusive material and is being wrongly accused of being involved or having information related to Julia Niswender's death.

The investigation

Julia Niswender was found in her off-campus Ypsilanti apartment Dec. 11, 2012. Investigators have said her body was in an unnatural position in the bathtub and she died from asphyxiation by drowning.

A statement released by Ypsilanti police last week said James Turnquist has not "provided detectives with a formal statement as to his whereabouts the days prior to Julia's death."

Lt. Deric Gress did not answer any questions about this investigation when asked by the Free Press this week.

"Sorry, I (we) won't be giving interviews," he said in an e-mail. "And will provide updates as warranted."

James Turnquist's attorney and some family members say he has cooperated with the investigation, voluntarily turned over a computer in December 2014 and submitted to a polygraph test at the request of police in early 2013.

"Jim was extremely cooperative with the police for two years and has given them everything they needed," attorney Stablein said.

Stablein said he represented Turnquist when he first took the polygraph in 2013 and got involved again after police failed to return the computer in January.

The attorney called police about the computer and a detective told him she wanted Turnquist to give another statement. Her tone, Stablein said, made him think there was more to it.

Turnquist hasn't given any statements since.

Meanwhile, Jennifer Niswender said family was very important to her twin sister.

"This is very, very tough and a very hard time because of how the family is right now," she said. "If (Julia) was here she would not like it at all."

Last edited:
I don't know if JT had any involvement in Julia's death or not, but I don't think he's this "great guy" that some try to portray him as. IMO.
Daniel Clay would be the next person I'd want to look at. He isn't a match for the DNA that they have, but what if the DNA that they have doesn't belong to the killer? Every assumption must be challenged. I would hope that LE would have tried to clear Clay, but we're talking about the Ypsilanti P.D., so there's really no telling what they've done, if anything.

Ypsilanti has a new Chief of Police. I have emailed him twice and called YPD to talk to him. So far, I have not received any response to the emails or the calls. I called to see who the lead detective is for Julia's case and have yet to receive a name! Something is very wrong with this picture!

Ypsilanti has a new Chief of Police. I have emailed him twice and called YPD to talk to him. So far, I have not received any response to the emails or the calls. I called to see who the lead detective is for Julia's case and have yet to receive a name! Something is very wrong with this picture!
The FBI has jurisdiction over all corrupt local governments and police organizations. I recommend contacting the FBI and letting them know that you believe that you have a corrupt police department on your hands.

<modsnip>

Last edited by a moderator:
Are they working with any local family members? They might prefer that approach, but at minimum, you should get a courtesy response.

Again, I emailed the Administrative Lt. Brent Yuchasz on Friday morning at 7:37AM. He read it at 10:22AM. He has yet to respond.
The only thing I asked in the email was:
"I would like to know who is the lead detective on the Julia Niswender murder case? "
That was all I asked and he has not replied! I'm sure he is probably too busy to find out who is handling Julia's case!
I think I would be better off asking the Keystone Kops questions! The Keystone Cops (often spelled "Keystone Kops") are fictional, humorously incompetent policemen featured in silent film slapstick comedies from 1912-1917.
I will continue my efforts to get Justice for Julia. I will research Ozoner's suggestion to contact the FBI to see if they can be of any assistance.

Again, I emailed the Administrative Lt. Brent Yuchasz on Friday morning at 7:37AM. He read it at 10:22AM. He has yet to respond.
The only thing I asked in the email was:
"I would like to know who is the lead detective on the Julia Niswender murder case? "
That was all I asked and he has not replied! I'm sure he is probably too busy to find out who is handling Julia's case!
I think I would be better off asking the Keystone Kops questions! The Keystone Cops (often spelled "Keystone Kops") are fictional, humorously incompetent policemen featured in silent film slapstick comedies from 1912-1917.
I will continue my efforts to get Justice for Julia. I will research Ozoner's suggestion to contact the FBI to see if they can be of any assistance.
It is likely Detective Scott Donely. From the link it appears they only have *ONE* Detective?!?!

Until today, I had never heard of the cold case of Nicole Vargo in Ypsilanti, 20 years before Julia was murdered. Like Julia, 23 years old and like Julia, manner of death was ligature/strangulation. Both were beautiful young women with their whole lives ahead of them.

Interesting read - "The Case of the Vasectomized Rapist"

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member