MI - Lauren Johansen, 22, body found ‘mutilated,’ wrapped in sheets at cemetery, Harrison County, 2 July 2024 *Arrest*

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
“I sat in the courtroom in Nashville and told the judge that if they let him out, he was going to kill her,” the slain student’s father, Lance Johansen, told WLOX. “He had assaulted her — this was probably the fifth or sixth time where they would get into a fight and he would beat her.”

Lauren Johansen

I'm following reporter Karen Aguilar of Fox Nashville on Twitter/X--she seems to be taking the lead in investigating the mistakes:

I'm following reporter Karen Aguilar of Fox Nashville on Twitter/X--she seems to be taking the lead in investigating the mistakes:

She’s doing a great job reporting, grateful she’s exposing how this went so wrong. This monumental mistake resulted in a violent death. The details are very painful to read, I feel deeply for her family.

“They’re distraught,” Sloss said of the employee who made the error and his supervisor. “There have been tears.”

Release paperwork dated June 24 specified none of those conditions.

That paperwork “should have contained any bond conditions,” Sloss said. “The employee did not do that.”

“Our release order from the courts was a standard ‘bond-out’ and did not specify GPS was a condition of release,” said Jon Adams, communications director at the Davidson County Sheriff’s Office. Rivers, Adams said, “was released to himself, and was responsible for contacting his bonding agent.”

I’m so angry this happened. And that it’s only a recent occurrence, definitely not the first and likely not even the most recent.

Dr. Johansen, PLEASE keep raising hell and demanding accountability for your daughter’s life. I’m so sorry for your loss. Maybe your actions today will prevent future loss of life.

For a person as kind-hearted and caring as Lauren is said to have been — and family members that seem to share that outlook — perhaps that provides a sliver of comfort in this tragedy.

Rest in peace, Lauren. You matter.

Additional/slightly different information in this article from today in a conversation with Lauren's father:

"Although he received the voicemail notifying him of Rivers' release on June 28, Robert Johansen didn't have a chance to listen to it right away, he said, noting that the news came as a shock on July 1.

'I called Lauren immediately and she was still alive when I called her and told her ... she already heard,' he said. 'She was told he was getting an ankle monitor, and it turned into a real mess.'

Lauren was terrified when he talked to her about Rivers being released, Robert Johansen said. He and his family don't know what happened to Lauren Johansen or how she ended up in the trunk of a car on July 3.

Last they knew, she was in her home with her sister and a friend on July 1."

All the other previous articles I've read made it sound like Lauren did not know Rivers was released, and that when the dad tried calling her on July 1 he couldn't get in touch with her--except for a text he got from her which was phrased oddly.

Additional/slightly different information in this article from today in a conversation with Lauren's father:

"Although he received the voicemail notifying him of Rivers' release on June 28, Robert Johansen didn't have a chance to listen to it right away, he said, noting that the news came as a shock on July 1.

'I called Lauren immediately and she was still alive when I called her and told her ... she already heard,' he said. 'She was told he was getting an ankle monitor, and it turned into a real mess.'

Lauren was terrified when he talked to her about Rivers being released, Robert Johansen said. He and his family don't know what happened to Lauren Johansen or how she ended up in the trunk of a car on July 3.

Last they knew, she was in her home with her sister and a friend on July 1."

All the other previous articles I've read made it sound like Lauren did not know Rivers was released, and that when the dad tried calling her on July 1 he couldn't get in touch with her--except for a text he got from her which was phrased oddly.
I still feel like we’re missing details. I want to see a complete timeline of the 24 hours before and after Lauren died.

If she was home with her sister and a friend on July 1, at what point did he abduct her? The security camera at their front door was destroyed. Was that on the way into the home? I would think everyone in that house would have been on high alert, knowing he had been released? She should have went into hiding at that point.

Yet another avoidable death of a woman at the hands of a violent man that she knows.
It's an old and tired story at the point.
My heart bleeds for Lauren's family, friends and community. They didn't deserve this.

Reporters were allowed to listen to the recording Lauren made of her being beaten back in Dec and see her hospital photos.

"Rivers can also be heard describing her condition, saying at one point that she looks like she’s “hemorrhaging tonight” and later telling her that her “head’s swollen up like a bowling ball.” He also makes it clear that this assault was not the first. "

"I suggest you cooperate and calm down. I literally scheduled marriage counseling for us. Do you realize that?" Rivers told Johansen to the noises of her trying to breathe. "Bite me , I dare you."

He literally told her if she moved, she wouldn't wake up tomorrow.
Hospital photos Lauren showed her hair stained with dried blood, lips bruised and battered, and one eye swollen shut while the other was barely able to open.

Days after the incident, he called her from jail (recorded) and told her what to say to investigators. He told her to tell them that he wanted to join the military and any charges would ruin his chances.

AND THE JUDGE LISTENED TO THESE RIGHT BEFORE SHE MADE THE DECISION TO LOWER HIS BAIL.

The Daily Mail has the hospital photos of her injuries and photos of inside the rental car where she was beaten in Dec 2023.

They are.....horrible. Really upsetting. You can't unsee them or not think about then what must have happened when he murdered her.

They only drive it home harder how insane it is that the judge looked at these photos, listened to that recording, and went ahead and reduced his bond.

“She was basically beaten to death. Her face was smashed in, her head was smashed in, she was brutally beaten to the point she couldn’t see out of either eye when she finally died and there was multiple holes in her head,” he said. “I helped the coroner lift her body out of the car. It was just mutilated.”

Murder victim’s father alleges years of abuse by boyfriend, claims judicial system failed daughter

BBM

I know this is a minor thing in this horrific story, but does anyone else find it weird that the coroner would let a family member help handling the body after a crime scene has been established?
Is this allowed? I wouldn't think so but would be interesting to hear from insiders.

Regardless, this is another tragedy resulting from IPV and it's appalling how helpless these victims seem to be.
Sad on all fronts.
Agree. I've found myself a little baffled at the coroner's decision. It seems pretty odd for me as well.

Some clever subterfuge by the police involved in his capture. I guess the boy ain’t all that bright,

“‘'We realized early on that the subject still had his cell phone on him,' Harrison County Sheriff Matt Haley said.

'So undercover officers were able to, through text message, have Rivers believe that he was corresponding with a friend, and we were able to lure him out of the woods.’”

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jackojohnnie
Back