GUILTY MI - Paul DeWolf, 25, fatally shot in Ann Arbor frat house, 23 July 2013

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Police don't normally care all that much about property crimes.
Especially in more high crime areas. These crimes are barely investigated. There will be one detective for many of these cases. Which is why perps don't worry all that much about being caught. Which is why they can steal a credit card then go to stores that have cameras and buy multiple things.
Unless, of course, somebody gets killed during this crime against property.
It would be very stupid to kill someone then take their things, but what do I know?

Was Paul's neighborhood a high crime area?

Was Paul's neighborhood a high crime area?

It's all relative. Urban areas where students live usually are higher for property crimes. When my wallet was stolen, no one investigated. When I called in they told mere there is one detective assigned to hundreds of cases. So, basically, nobody looked into it at all, despite perps (or their friends) purchasing many things using my credit card.

It's all relative. Urban areas where students live usually are higher for property crimes. When my wallet was stolen, no one investigated. When I called in they told mere there is one detective assigned to hundreds of cases. So, basically, nobody looked into it at all, despite perps (or their friends) purchasing many things using my credit card.

Sorry to hear you got pickpocketed.

I think home invasions/burglaries are investigated with more seriousness than pickpockets in streets because the chances of identifying/catching a perp on the streets is a lot harder than lifting prints/DNA from the home.

IDK about U MI but when I was at the universities and they were college towns, the crime rate was very very low.

Sorry to hear you got pickpocketed.

I think home invasions/burglaries are investigated with more seriousness than pickpockets in streets because the chances of identifying/catching a perp on the streets is a lot harder than lifting prints/DNA from the home.

IDK about U MI but when I was at the universities and they were college towns, the crime rate was very very low.

If the perp goes into the store (that has cameras) and buys bunch of things, then it's not hard to find them if somebody actually was looking. Maybe crime is low in college towns, but many universities are located withing urban areas with high crime rates.

If the perp goes into the store (that has cameras) and buys bunch of things, then it's not hard to find them if somebody actually was looking. Maybe crime is low in college towns, but many universities are located withing urban areas with high crime rates.

I'm not in law enforcement so it was my educated opinion about why pickpocketings are not investigated as extensively as home invasions/burglaries.

All I know is that one of our homes was burglarized and the sheriff and his team came immediately and installed surveillance cameras in our house and up and down our streets and lo and behold, the perps were caught within two weeks! We were jumping for joy and the perps got prosecuted and are now sitting in prison. :loveyou:

I think usually someone breaking into a home knows the residence or has scoped out the residence. I don't think it is a spur of the moment decision to rob a place. Not that it doesn't happen, but probably not as often. And how often do thieves go house to house while occupied? Maybe after successfully robbing the first house (which was unoccupied) gave them the idea to go next door. I wonder how they got into either house and how no one heard or saw anything.

Ann Arbor is not a high crime area. There are really no urban neighborhoods.
There are sometimes Robberies on campus, usually around 2 or 3am.

The sister texted paul my impression was that it was in the evening or night
because DeWolf family said that he planned togo to bed.
The other burglary was reported at 8:30, so it must
have happened while it was stll light outside. Paul was probably shot while it was dark
because otherwise there would have been more witnesses, I think.

We dont know if all 3 suspects were in the fraternity. I think police bekieves that they are
connected to the crime, but perhaps not all of them were at the crime scene.
I do think that if Paul was shot in a panic, that the perps would leave ASAP without
taking anything.

Thefts are usually not investigated extensively, but the burglary in the neighborhood was
investigated because of the possible connection to the murder.

I wonder why the suspects would be in this particular area. It is not the best, nor the worst neighborhood.
Did the live nearby?

formal charges of open murder and home invasion levied against Shaquille Jones at his arraignment. Two female students also listed as victims, though unclear whether a nursing student was with DeWolf or living in the same building. It appears that something was taken from either the building or DeWolf's apartment, and according to the County Assistant Prosecutor, he is a significant danger to the community and "there is a high liklihood of conviction" No bond set, which is protocol in a murder case.

http://www.mlive.com/news/ann-arbor...wolf_homicide_south_car.html#cmpid=nwsltrhead
-----
previously SJ was arraigned on receiving and concealing stolen property over $1,000 – a laptop computer -- on the same night and in the same 200 block of North Ingalls Street as the homicide. (police responded to a home invasion at 8:30 p.m. July 23 in that area of North Ingalls, which is very close to the Med fraternity home) $500,000 cash bond

http://www.mlive.com/news/ann-arbor/index.ssf/2013/11/suspect_extradited_from_south.html

----
Suspect Franklin supposedly lives in Pittsfield Township, which is very close to the Ann Arbor area. accused of being a lookout during a break-in at a home in the 700 block of Arch Street in Ann Arbor on May 4, White said. Franklin later allegedly used a credit card stolen from the residence at a gas station

http://www.mlive.com/news/ann-arbor/index.ssf/2013/11/attorney_suspect_in_paul_dewol.html
---
Considerable additional info on Franklin's history at: http://www.mlive.com/news/ann-arbor/index.ssf/2013/11/criminal_histories_for_suspect.html

Agreed. No murder for hire shooter is going to settle for a single neck shot. Two in the head, one in the heart is the standard formula for guns for hire. The neck shot is way too risky.

Only 3 pages in, but my leading guess is that dude was the victim of a highly improbable but entirely possible (given the area) "accident". i.e., someone was firing a small caliber rifle in the area and a round accidentally ended up in Paul's neck and killed him.

Likely the shooter didn't even know he shot anyone at the time and for some time after--would guess that with all the media coverage of this, that the shooter has more than an inkling of what happened to Paul by now.

Sounds like this is what went down?

I've been trying to figure out the connection of these three to the Ann Arbor area. Franklin supposedly lives in Pittsfield Twp., which is very close. SJ apparently once lived in Washtenaw County (which is the county for Ann Arbor area, and encompasses a large area around it). I cannot figure out how Jordan is connected other than possibly knowing or being friends with SJ, since both of them lived in Sumter County, S Carolina.

This seems to be right according to this Free Press article:
http://www.freep.com/article/201311...igan-medical-student-homicide-Shaquille-Jones

formal charges of open murder and home invasion levied against Shaquille Jones at his arraignment. Two female students also listed as victims, though unclear whether a nursing student was with DeWolf or living in the same building. It appears that something was taken from either the building or DeWolf's apartment, and according to the County Assistant Prosecutor, he is a significant danger to the community and "there is a high liklihood of conviction" No bond set, which is protocol in a murder case.

http://www.mlive.com/news/ann-arbor...wolf_homicide_south_car.html#cmpid=nwsltrhead
-----
previously SJ was arraigned on receiving and concealing stolen property over $1,000 – a laptop computer -- on the same night and in the same 200 block of North Ingalls Street as the homicide. (police responded to a home invasion at 8:30 p.m. July 23 in that area of North Ingalls, which is very close to the Med fraternity home) $500,000 cash bond

http://www.mlive.com/news/ann-arbor/index.ssf/2013/11/suspect_extradited_from_south.html

----
Suspect Franklin supposedly lives in Pittsfield Township, which is very close to the Ann Arbor area. accused of being a lookout during a break-in at a home in the 700 block of Arch Street in Ann Arbor on May 4, White said. Franklin later allegedly used a credit card stolen from the residence at a gas station

http://www.mlive.com/news/ann-arbor/index.ssf/2013/11/attorney_suspect_in_paul_dewol.html
---
Considerable additional info on Franklin's history at: http://www.mlive.com/news/ann-arbor/index.ssf/2013/11/criminal_histories_for_suspect.html

~~~~~
From the first cited article, it looks like the perps were committing *serial burglary* -- going from one bedroom to another in search of valuables at Paul's fraternity. That would then make sense why they took nothing from Paul's room. Their hands were already filled with other burglary items. Then this would lend credence to why they shot Paul as well while simultaneously not stealing anything from his room specifically.

So thanks for citing this article! Case solved and closure...at least for me and I hope DeWolf's family. I still find it reprehensible and disgusting that these perps would shoot an innocent guy like Paul for apparently no reason except to steal a few items. Such a senseless crime.

November 22, 2013 at 3:54 pm

South Carolina man charged in killing of U-M medical student

Serena Maria Daniels /The Detroit News

A South Carolina man has been charged in connection with the killing of a University of Michigan medical student this summer.

Shaquille Jones, 21, of North Charlston, S.C., was arraigned on Friday for the July 24 homicide of Paul DeWolf in 14A-1 District Court in Pittsfield Township and was not given bond, said Steve Hiller, the Washtenaw County chief assistant prosecutor. On Thursday, Jones was charged with receiving and concealing stolen property of more than $1,000 but less than $20,000, court records show, and held on a $500,000 cash bond. That charge is expected to be dropped...

From The Detroit News: http://www.detroitnews.com/article/2...#ixzz2lPsnZNly

Man charged with murder of University of Michigan medical student

Man charged with July murder of 25-year-old Paul DeWolf

Author: Dave Bartkowiak Jr. , Online News Editor, dbartkowiak@wdiv.com

Published On: Nov 22 2013 03:56:49 PM EST Updated On: Nov 22 2013 04:05:45 PM EST

http://www.clickondetroit.com/news/...dent/-/1719418/23111080/-/jjcbxx/-/index.html

I've been trying to figure out the connection of these three to the Ann Arbor area. Franklin supposedly lives in Pittsfield Twp., which is very close. SJ apparently once lived in Washtenaw County (which is the county for Ann Arbor area, and encompasses a large area around it). I cannot figure out how Jordan is connected other than possibly knowing or being friends with SJ, since both of them lived in Sumter County, S Carolina.

This seems to be right according to this Free Press article:
http://www.freep.com/article/201311...igan-medical-student-homicide-Shaquille-Jones

found my answer. Jordan is connected due to an Ann Arbor arson charge when he was only 9 yrs old: (near the bottom of this article)
http://www.mlive.com/news/ann-arbor/index.ssf/2013/11/criminal_histories_for_suspect.html

I think usually someone breaking into a home knows the residence or has scoped out the residence. I don't think it is a spur of the moment decision to rob a place. Not that it doesn't happen, but probably not as often. And how often do thieves go house to house while occupied? Maybe after successfully robbing the first house (which was unoccupied) gave them the idea to go next door. I wonder how they got into either house and how no one heard or saw anything.

Doesn't sound like the first house was unoccupied. There was apparently a female in there.

"Jones is charged in a second break-in the same time frame at a neighboring residence in the 200 block of North Ingalls Street. A female U-M engineering student was home at the time, according to court proceedings, but again it wasn't made clear if she was aware of the break-in as it was happening."

The suspects MO appears to be to go into an occupied house and take things such as a laptop or a credit card. There was a female student in the neighboring house that was robbed. There was also a female student at the same house as Paul.
Maybe Paul caught the suspects or tried to stop them.

The suspects MO appears to be to go into an occupied house and take things such as a laptop or a credit card. There was a female student in the neighboring house that was robbed. There was also a female student at the same house as Paul.
Maybe Paul caught the suspects or tried to stop them.

Hmm, if the MO is true, that the perps were intentionally targeting *occupied* homes to invade and burglarize while carrying a loaded gun, then eventually they knew they would be confronted by a homeowner/tenant and that they would have to use the gun to shoot and kill the homeowner/tenant.

The two female tenants who were burglarized were lucky they did not encounter the perps that night. Sounds like there was definite premeditation on part of the perps to shoot and kill whomever came in their way of their burglaries since they specifically chose *occupied* homes to invade...

So then the perps committed their burglary crimes with a *depraved callous indifference to human life* and that their murdering Paul was a *thrill kill* secondary to their burglaries. I hope that the heinous aforethoughts of their intent to kill innocent home dwellers while in the process of committing burglaries are brought out in court so they are punished maximally.

Justice for Paul DeWolf and all other victims of these perps.

I think the MO seems to be the following.

fraternities often have many residents and those residents have many friends. So for a
resident to see a stranger does not necessarily breed suspicion. Also, doors are often unlocked.
So the MO is to check for open front or back doors, look for valuable items that can easily
be taken such as laptops, cell phone, purses, wallets, and leave quickly.
Laptop computers are often stolen from university offices with unlocked doors, but
I think fraternities and sorrorities are targets as well.

Yeah, I think they must have chosen the area because students are good targets for burglaries. They have credit cards, electronics, and they tend to leave their doors unlocked for their roommates, etc. Strangers aren't eyed with suspicion in a place with lots of folks who have friends, no.

And med students are typically wealthier than regular students, in my experience. I know a lot of folks who are doctors now whose dad (usually) was a doctor and granddads and the works sometimes. Since doctors can make some good $$$, the kids as students usually have more displays of wealth than a poor student like I was, lol. I bet their cars were fancy, etc. If they are anything like my friends, anyway (and more power to them :) ).

I think I'm convinced it was random. That's very good, in a way. I'm glad none of Paul's housemates' friends even did it. I was afraid of who some of the other students might have known and invited over before, however tangentially.

I guess the police did know that entry was way more possible than the media made out. I take it they didn't knock! Yeah, that's a different set of suspects right there.

It is a like the case I mentioned whose perp came in via the attic! That guy got in a weird way (the point I had then), but he intruded on the resident purely in order to rob the place, and he killed him, too. He didn't steal anything either after that, just got the h*** out of there after the murder.

"A second suspect in the fatal shooting of University of Michigan student Paul DeWolf has been arraigned on charges including open murder.

Police say Joei Alexander Jordan, a 20-year-old man from Sumpter, S.C., is now facing the same charges as Shaquille Alexander Keiley Jones, a 21-year-old resident of North Charleston, S.C., who was arraigned Friday.

Both are now being held without bond in the Washtenaw County Jail, according to a press release from the Ann Arbor Police Department and Washtenaw County prosecutor's office. The defendants face a maximum sentence of up to life in prison if they are convicted of a murder charge."

"A third person police were able to identify as a suspect has not yet been charged in this case.

A hearing for a preliminary examination of the evidence against Jones has been scheduled for 8:30 a.m. Dec. 5 at 14A District Court and a hearing for Jordan is scheduled for 8:30 a.m. Dec. 12, according to the statements police released."

http://www.thenewsherald.com/articl...529511784bf6d074854171.txt?viewmode=fullstory

I think the MO seems to be the following.

fraternities often have many residents and those residents have many friends. So for a
resident to see a stranger does not necessarily breed suspicion. Also, doors are often unlocked.
So the MO is to check for open front or back doors, look for valuable items that can easily
be taken such as laptops, cell phone, purses, wallets, and leave quickly.
Laptop computers are often stolen from university offices with unlocked doors, but
I think fraternities and sorrorities are targets as well.

That's what it sounds like to me as well.
If they had a loaded gun then it appears they were ready to kill whoever would get in their way.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SassyGirlDawn70
Back