GUILTY MI - Renisha McBride, 19, shot while trying to get help, Detroit, Nov 2013

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
https://twitter.com/idabeewells

idabwellsinstitute @idabeewells · 19m
Court in session; Judge Hathaway hearing another case. Wafer jurors not yet in courtroom.
#RenishaMcBride

idabwellsinstitute @idabeewells · 43m
Good Morning.

Renisha McBride would have needed to consume 10 to 11 shots of vodka in an hour to get her blood-alcohol level to where it was when she was fatally shot on a Dearborn Heights porch, according to testimony in Theodore Wafer’s trial today.
http://www.freep.com/article/20140730/NEWS02/307300044/dearborn-heights-porch-shooting-wafer-trial

idabwellsinstitute @idabeewells · 22s
PROS now wants to also enter photos of hands of #RenishaMcBride and one of her on porch. So ordered. Jury being seated.
ReplyReplied to 0 times RetweetRetweeted 0 times FavoriteFavorited 0 times
More
idabwellsinstitute @idabeewells · 1m
closeup photos of boots and legs of #RenishaMcBride by screen door of, her face, and her hands. So ordered. PROS now wants to also enter
ReplyReplied to 0 times RetweetRetweeted 1 time1 FavoriteFavorited 0 times
More
idabwellsinstitute @idabeewells · 13s
Wafer case being called now. DEF putting on record stipulation for DEFN exhibits
#RenishaMcBride

idabwellsinstitute @idabeewells · 35s
Now says no more questions will be entertained; does not think its fair now that all of PROS witnesses have testified and
#RenishaMcBride
More
a few good questions from jurors, after conferring with PROS and DEF, judge asked the questions to WIT referenced earlier
#RenishaMcBride
More
idabwellsinstitute @idabeewells · 42s
Jurors given 5 minute break. But first, judge explains she usually does not allow questions in her courtroom, but recv'd #RenishaMcBride
More
idabwellsinstitute @idabeewells · 29s
DEF ends its questioning of WIT Dr. Werner Spitz.
More
idabwellsinstitute @idabeewells · 58s
close range but can also occur in long range shot. #RenishaMcBride
More
DEF asks WIT about presence of "cup" which contains the ammo, present in #RenishaMcBride's brain. WIT says presence of "cup" can indicate
More
idabwellsinstitute @idabeewells · now
appears 2 be a discrepancy here. Thought Kesha said it was a close range shooting but from 3 feet or so. Will have 2 check
#RenishaMcBride
More
of close range shooting. #RenishaMcBride
More
idabwellsinstitute @idabeewells · 55s
WIT saying shot that killed #RenishaMcBride was from two feet away or less; says white powder present in her hair from blast, evidence
ReplyReplied to 0 times RetweetRetweeted 2 times2 FavoriteFavorited 0 times
More
Laptop freezing up ... prayers started ...
ReplyReplied to 0 times RetweetRetweeted 0 times FavoriteFavorited 1 time1
More
idabwellsinstitute @idabeewells · 58s
WIT NOT saying autopsy was incomplete; but would have done several things differently.
#RenishaMcBride
More
idabwellsinstitute @idabeewells · 5s
WIT says autopsy was incomplete; would have done several things differently.
#RenishaMcBride
More
idabwellsinstitute @idabeewells · 36s
WIT says 1st thing is had he been med examiner @ time of this case he would have insisted Kesha become board certified
#RenishaMcBride
More
idabwellsinstitute @idabeewells · 59s
examine screen doors of #TedWafer. DEF asking about his opinion of autopsy performed by Dr. Kesha.
#RenishaMcBride
More
idabwellsinstitute @idabeewells · 22s
WIT spent 45-50 hours on case; has been to Wafer's home, police station to examine #RenishaMcBride's clothes, and police station to
More
a lot of is time. WIT is 87 years old. Enjoys teaching. Wants to get knowledge out there.
#RenishaMcBride
More
idabwellsinstitute @idabeewells · 21s
usual rate is $400 pr hour. DEF asks why he does it, for the money? WIT says he doesn't need the money; what he doesn't have
#RenishaMcBride
More
WIT says he has received $8k; DEF asks if that is about $175 per hour; WIT asks if DEF is not paying enough; WIT says his
#RenishaMcBride
More
DEF asks how much time WIT has spent on case; asked that yesterday; asks how much she has paid him for his services. #RenishaMcBride
More
idabwellsinstitute @idabeewells · 48s
WIT says nothing in evidence supports that #RenishaMcBride's injuries to hand occurred during car accident.
More
WIT says because air bag being deployed would hit driver in chest/center, not sides, not hands/arms
#RenishaMcBride
More
idabwellsinstitute @idabeewells · 13s
DEF asks WIT about car crash of #RenishaMcBride and how that incident WOULD NOT have caused swelling of her hands
More
idabwellsinstitute @idabeewells · 52s
occurred due to banging on #TedWafer's doors. WIT concurs.
#RenishaMcBride
More
is an expert in photography. Judge sustains the objection. DEF asks, in WIT's expert opinion, if swelling to #RenishaMcBride's hands
More
idabwellsinstitute @idabeewells · 29s
on certain areas; WIT says in his opinion hand looks swollen; says fingers look like sausages; PROS objects, asks if WIT
#RenishaMcBride
More
idabwellsinstitute @idabeewells · 6s
DEF being asked about lacerations on right hand; WIT says he can't really tell, photo out of focus, dark spot, light
#RenishaMcBride
More
DEF asking WIT to explain how in photo right hand of #RenishaMcBride is distinguishable from left hand; DEF asking about lacerations
More
idabwellsinstitute @idabeewells · 35s
Photograph being shown on computer monitor in front of WIT; We cannot see it; possibly #RenishaMcBride's body on porch;
More
idabwellsinstitute @idabeewells · 24s
DEF sorting through photo exhibits.
#RenishaMcBride
More
idabwellsinstitute @idabeewells · 6s
Judge agrees.
#RenishaMcBride
More
idabwellsinstitute @idabeewells · 17s
DEF asks for PROS to be admonished; says PROS is objecting with long speeches; asks 2 please state objection and not talk
#RenishaMcBride
More
idabwellsinstitute @idabeewells · 23s
DEF asking about photos; PROS objects, saying that DEF is leading WIT, if he can't see photos.
#RenishaMcBride
More
idabwellsinstitute @idabeewells · 11s
to approach bench; DEF now referring to photos in front of witness, compare them with what is enlarged on overhead screen.
#RenishaMcBride
More
idabwellsinstitute @idabeewells · 11s
WIT now being shown close-up photo of #RenishaMcBride's left and right hands; PROS has request re exhibits of their own; Judge asks
More
idabwellsinstitute @idabeewells · 26s
caused by banging on something - such as #TedWafer's door? WIT concurs.
#RenishaMcBride
More
idabwellsinstitute @idabeewells · 20s
WIT says accident happened approx 3 hours earlier; DEF asks diff betw abrasions and injury; asks if injuries to #RenishaMcBride's hands
More
idabwellsinstitute @idabeewells · 9s
DEF now asking if abrasions on #RenishaMcBride's hands came from car accident.
#RenishaMcBride
More
idabwellsinstitute @idabeewells · 17s
content; how long would it take to clot; can rain "reactivate" blood found on body.
#RenishaMcBride
More
idabwellsinstitute @idabeewells · 30s
Judge Hathaway asking questions of Dr. Spitz re clotting of blood in someone w/ a high alcohol

Interesting video of testimony from an expert regarding the screen door. Andrew Branca said a long time ago that the screen door and the angle of the shot could be a defense, the door appears to have become disloged BEFORE she was shot and if it happened while Wafer was standing there that would be alarming.

Unfortuntely Wafer chose to talk to the police BEFORE he had an attorney and that is likely what will condemn him in this case.

http://www.clickondetroit.com/news/...g-case-talks-about-mcbrides-hand-cut/27246438

Interesting video of testimony from an expert regarding the screen door. Andrew Branca said a long time ago that the screen door and the angle of the shot could be a defense, the door appears to have become disloged BEFORE she was shot and if it happened while Wafer was standing there that would be alarming.

Unfortuntely Wafer chose to talk to the police BEFORE he had an attorney and that is likely what will condemn him in this case.

http://www.clickondetroit.com/news/...g-case-talks-about-mcbrides-hand-cut/27246438

Interesting, although it's not facts and i do not believe the so called hand injuries happened cause she was incredible hulk trying to break down the door lol. Anyhow, is this man going to get on that stand? Has he made any apologies to the family of any kind? Regardless of what he said she was trying to do, does he have compassion about taking a young girls life. Very weird, not seen no emotion from him before the trial of any remorse.

If I thought someone was breaking in and clearly I am telling the truth and the evidence supports me. I would be very distraught that I took a life, over that. Very guilty I would feel, no????

Sent from my GT-N5110 using Tapatalk now Free

IIRC, defendants are legally not allowed to contact family members. Plus, apologizing might be interpreted as an admission of guilt. Right, wrong or indifferent, I hope if he is convicted, that he will apologize during sentencing. The family needs to hear that....

IIRC, defendants are legally not allowed to contact family members. Plus, apologizing might be interpreted as an admission of guilt. Right, wrong or indifferent, I hope if he is convicted, that he will apologize during sentencing. The family needs to hear that....

I understand what you mean, i was talking more about the police tapes, questioning footage. No emotion showed at all for her life. He was not attacked by her, he said she was trying to break in, so he kills her and no emotion. Very weird and shows he is dead guilty.

I do get what you mean thoe, he has to act like he had the right, the nerve!!!!

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Tapatalk 2

True. But even without an apology, you can tell when someone is remorseful by the demeanor and actions. I agree with islandmixed that if this was some sort of accident or self-defense gone wrong, I think he'd behave differently.

If I thought someone was breaking in and clearly I am telling the truth and the evidence supports me. I would be very distraught that I took a life, over that. Very guilty I would feel, no????

Well we aren't seeing lengthy video of him. Fact is still photographs are often CHOSEN by the media to portray what they want to portray, if the man only smiled weakly to his attorney ONE time and a photographer caught it they may decide to use THAT as the main photo in an attempt to prejudice the public against the defendant.

Also let's be honest, if he DID look sad and remorseful then his critics would say "See he knows he is guilty".

Drunks get shot at least once or twice a year in Georgia while they try to break into the wrong house thinking they live there, if I shot one under similar circumstances I sure wouldn't be sobbing about it, fact is the mistake was theirs and my life would be seriously messed up by their actions if I had to go to court and pay a FORTUNE to a defense lawyer (possibly many years of debt, seeing as how I have to pay my own bills and can't get a public defender) to stay out of prison (or worse, end up in prison). Now if it were an elderly person with alzheimers or an autistic individual that was lost and confused I would feel bad about the incident, but someone that CHOSE to get so wasted they didn't know what they were doing? Different situation entirely.

Well we aren't seeing lengthy video of him. Fact is still photographs are often CHOSEN by the media to portray what they want to portray, if the man only smiled weakly to his attorney ONE time and a photographer caught it they may decide to use THAT as the main photo in an attempt to prejudice the public against the defendant.

Also let's be honest, if he DID look sad and remorseful then his critics would say "See he knows he is guilty".

Drunks get shot at least once or twice a year in Georgia while they try to break into the wrong house thinking they live there, if I shot one under similar circumstances I sure wouldn't be sobbing about it, fact is the mistake was theirs and my life would be seriously messed up by their actions if I had to go to court and pay a FORTUNE to a defense lawyer (possibly many years of debt, seeing as how I have to pay my own bills and can't get a public defender) to stay out of prison (or worse, end up in prison). Now if it were an elderly person with alzheimers or an autistic individual that was lost and confused I would feel bad about the incident, but someone that CHOSE to get so wasted they didn't know what they were doing? Different situation entirely.

I get what your saying and understand your point entirely. Still, if you had to change your story from it was an accident, too i was defending myself, clearly he is hiding something. No reason for nobody to change a story if you felt like your life would be taken by someone trying to break in. I still feel like shooting someone dead in the face, meaning he could have shot down at a leg or something, tells me he wanted to kill the person and had no feeling about it.

As for the totally wasted behavior, according to whom, that test? I can drink half a bottle of white rum straight and i am good lol not saying she was a light weight, but we do not know if she was falling to the ground wasted, can't go by there legal opinion on Alcohol consumption. Just my views, can't even understand why these cases even go to court but that's just me. A social worker from the UK *shruggs*

"Murad told the court he was awake and in his home office on the night of the killing when he heard noise outside his window. It sounded like "rain and trees banging" against his car, he said.. Murad looked out his window but saw nothing.

Then he heard the gunshot. He could not see the porch where the shooting took place from his vantage. Murad didn't call 911 himself but said police showed within three minutes."
http://www.mlive.com/news/detroit/index.ssf/2014/07/theodore_wafer_neighbor_heard.html

"Murad told the court he was awake and in his home office on the night of the killing when he heard noise outside his window. It sounded like "rain and trees banging" against his car, he said.. Murad looked out his window but saw nothing.

Then he heard the gunshot. He could not see the porch where the shooting took place from his vantage. Murad didn't call 911 himself but said police showed within three minutes."
http://www.mlive.com/news/detroit/index.ssf/2014/07/theodore_wafer_neighbor_heard.html

He also went outside….

"The person investigators talked with, Ray Murad, testified Monday that he heard a sound — like a tree hitting his car — early Nov. 2 and went outside on the windy, raining morning to check it out, then heard a shot 10-15 minutes after returning inside "I didn't see anything," Murad said Monday. "I went outside but not all the way to the street."
http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...ha-mcbride-porch-shooting-witnesses/13329965/

He also went outside….

"The person investigators talked with, Ray Murad, testified Monday that he heard a sound — like a tree hitting his car — early Nov. 2 and went outside on the windy, raining morning to check it out, then heard a shot 10-15 minutes after returning inside "I didn't see anything," Murad said Monday. "I went outside but not all the way to the street."
http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...ha-mcbride-porch-shooting-witnesses/13329965/

From the article you linked:

Both sides cited case law supporting their arguments — the defense that they should be able to see the investigator's hand-written notes, prosecutors that the defense shouldn't get access to those notes. Wayne County Circuit Judge Dana Hathaway ruled those notes don't have to be turned over.

I ain't no lawyer but why on earth would the State REFUSE to allow the defense attorney access to the hand written notes from a state official? At the very least I see appeals in the future if he is convicted. Not a big surprise considered the judge.

does someone have a specific example of him changing his story? something more than just him calling it an accident and then saying he acted in self defense?

those two things could both be true and do not mean he changed his explanation of how things happened - is there an example of him changing his description of how things happened?

thanx for posting it if there is, i have not seen it yet.

those two things could both be true and do not mean he changed his explanation of how things happened - is there an example of him changing his description of how things happened?

thanx for posting it if there is, i have not seen it yet.

Yes they could both be true. Example -- if a teenager snuck out of the house and then was shot upon returning because a parent thought it was an intruder it would be BOTH self-defense and an accident.

The initial shooting could easily have been in self defense as they thought a dangerous intruder was entering the house however when it turned out it was a member of the household then they would say it was an accident because while they meant to shoot an "intruder" and not their own kid.

(I am using the example of a shooters offspring because whenever I hear a case of someone "accidentally shooting their spouse" I always think that it probably was NOT an accident).

We all know Damn well, she never broke into his house. Meaning her foot was not in his home when he fired those shots. If that was the case, his story would have been that only, that would only make me understand a tiny bit of why he would have got his shot gun, but not to fire at her Damn head!!!! Very extreme

Instead he heard bashing on my door and thought someone was breaking in, so I shot through the screen. Not good enough, no matter how loud she was behaving. He was not scarred, cause if he was, he would have backed off, shouted something on the lines of, i have my gun and i am calling the police if you continue. He went right up to that door, saw who it was and fired and of course as always claims self defense!!!

Thank you Sonya. Home invasions are rampant in the Detroit area. Google "Detroit home invasions" and it pulls up page after page of recent home invasions. Detroit residents are fighting back. In fact so many home invaders have been shot and killed that one misguided pastor pleaded for homeowners to stop shooting/killing the criminals who were in the act of robbing people in their homes. Unbelievable!! This pastor seriously criticized the homeowners for shooting the criminals who were there to rob and/or kill them.

So I completely get the mindset of Detroit residents. They live in fear and police response is none too swift. My sympathies lie with Mr Wafer. He was a law abiding citizen, bothering no-one, sleeping peacefully in his own home. I can only imagine the panicked state he was in as he awoke to someone aggressively trying to get in his house. I do not believe that Renisha was there to get help. She actively rejected help at the accident scene. I think she was at his house, because in her inebriated state, thought it was hers. She made quite a few tragic errors on that night and it ended badly. I see no motive or malice on the part of Mr Wafer.

Please don't take this as victim bashing of Renisha, this is simply what I see as a reasonable scenario based upon the facts. I do believe that Mr Wafer in many ways, is also a victim, a victim of some very tragic circumstances. I see that many posters here disagree with me and that is fine. I respect their right to see it differently. But I stand firm in my beliefs and I thank God that I live in a place where I don't have to live in fear of home invasions, rampant crime and violence.

I have followed this trial and I would not want to be on this jury.

While we can speculate that Renisha was at Wafer's door wanting help and assistance we have no proof that is really the case nor does the jury. It really flies in the face of her previous actions that morning after the car wreck where she refused help from anyone.

It makes no sense to me that Renisha would want the police called after telling everyone she wanted to go home. She knew if she asked anyone for assistance they were going to call 911 and she would be in serious trouble. She had been avoiding that help when offered. This wasn't her first accident iirc so she knew the drill, imo.

I still think it is more likely that she got confused and thought this was her mom's home and that is why she was going back and forth from door to door banging thinking she was waking up her mom to let her in. JMO

I have read articles before when someone was highly intoxicated they tried to gain entry to someone else's home thinking it was their own or was banging on the door because they thought their family lived there. They have even tried to climb through windows of homes that didn't belong to them or who they thought the home belonged to and were still there trying to get in when the homeowner called police. There have also been other cases where this has happened and the person was shot when the homeowner thought the person who was drunk trying to gain access was a home invader.

And another thing that may give the jury pause is all that was known afterwards to us or to the jury about Renisha wasn't known at all at the time to Mr. Wafer.. He knew nothing about Renisha or what had transpired that morning. From what I understand they are suppose to put themselves into Mr. Wafer's mind that morning to see if what he did seemed reasonable at the time based on what he knew at the time and based on all the things that Renisha was doing at the time he shot her including it being 4:30 am in the morning. He had no way of knowing all the things we now know.

I have believed the self defense explanation and the gun going off by accident is not counter opposing. . He had the gun because he had a right to defend himself and I believe when she suddenly came in view from the side when he opened the door it startled him and he jumped causing his hand/trigger finger to flinch/reflex and the gun went off. If he was fearful and apprehensive as to who would be on the porch (and I believe he was) he would already have his finger on the trigger just incase. One thing that has been lacking during this entire trial is the proof of malice and intent imo

While he should have called 911 first I am sure his lawyer will tell the jury that it isn't a law that someone has to call 911 first if they think they hear an intruder.

If Renisha had truly wound up being an intruder (and females can be just as dangerous as males nowadays and are also doing home invasions) by the time police got there he could have been dead.

While the police did get there quickly it only takes a few seconds, not a minute, to shoot a homeowner.

It reminds me of another case that I read recently where two different homeowners opened up their door when someone knocked on it and both individuals were shot and the suspect was gone by the time police arrived.

I have also seen the photograph shown in court of Renisha laying on the porch and if I had not known who it was already at first glance I would have thought it was a heavyset male laying there. I am not in any way trying to disparage Renisha but just being honest. I can see Mr. Wafer really not knowing the gender of the person on the porch banging on his doors.

We all know Damn well, she never broke into his house. Meaning her foot was not in his home when he fired those shots. If that was the case, his story would have been that only, that would only make me understand a tiny bit of why he would have got his shot gun, but not to fire at her Damn head!!!! Very extreme

Instead he heard bashing on my door and thought someone was breaking in, so I shot through the screen. Not good enough, no matter how loud she was behaving. He was not scarred, cause if he was, he would have backed off, shouted something on the lines of, i have my gun and i am calling the police if you continue. He went right up to that door, saw who it was and fired and of course as always claims self defense!!!

it is possible that that is what happened, but there is no evidence for almost all of what you say beyond the fact that she did not successfully break into his house (havent seen anyone claiming that anyway, he surely isnt).

there is virtually no critical evidence beyond his story to tell us what happened. there are also many possible, reasonable scenarios to explain what happened, and that is why the case is going to come down to whether or not they believe wafer's account, or his testimony if takes the stand.

this is one of those cases where if truth and justice is really what the system is all about then the defendant should have to take the stand.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mconnectseo
Back