GUILTY MI - Robert Cipriano, 52, beaten to death, Farmington Hills, 16 April 2012

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
I was running errands earlier today and was surprised to hear on WWJ that the Defense had rested. I expect a verdict by Friday. :moo:

Thanks Tiger, interesting read!

So Mitchell isn't new to fighting and being charged and booked in jail. I will say though what a horrible way to be brought up, with parents and DV. Not that it gives him any excuse.

Poor Mitchell just got drug into this according to his attorney. lol

I have to leave to go to my grandson's ballgame. Take good notes so I can read when I get home.

Thanks!

DEFENSE CLOSING ARGUMENT

milav9.png

READ FROM BOTTOM UP

McCarthy is wrapping up. The assistant prosecutor gets a rebuttal.
by Gina Damron 4:36 PM

McCarthy: Young is not guilty of first-degree felony murder or the assault with intent to murder charges.
by Gina Damron 4:33 PM

McCarthy: When the light went on in that kitchen, he thinks the mission in Tucker Cipriano's mind changed from thievery to murder.
by Gina Damron 4:30 PM

McCarthy: Young was in the house, but he didn't go over to murder or assault anyone.

McCarthy to jury: "I don't envy you this task."
by Gina Damron 4:28 PM

McCarthy: When the jurors go back into the jury room, the 12 who will deliberate, they have a lot to think about.
by Gina Damron 4:28 PM

McCarthy: "This was personal."
by Gina Damron 4:27 PM

McCarthy: "If I don't know you, I don't hate you. How can I?"
by Gina Damron 4:27 PM

McCarthy: In the little bit of information received into evidence to understand something about the Cipriano family. Tucker Cipriano had to go to a special school, so his parents sent him to a private school because they cared so much about him.
by Gina Damron 4:25 PM

McCarthy: "What would cause one human being to do that to another?" What would cause a son to do that to his family?
by Gina Damron 4:25 PM

McCarthy: The crimes occurred because Tucker Cipriano was filled with rage.
by Gina Damron 4:24 PM

McCarthy is having another image projected on the screen. It's a photo of the bats on the landing heading downstairs. McCarthy said he believes it is not a coincidence that Salvatore Cipriano was left on top of the two bats.
by Gina Damron 4:23 PM

McCarthy: Young acted under duress.
by Gina Damron 4:22 PM

McCarthy: "All he was there was to steal something."
by Gina Damron 4:21 PM

McCarthy: "He didn't go there to assault anybody."
by Gina Damron 4:21 PM

McCarthy: Young wasn't there to hurt anybody.
by Gina Damron 4:20 PM

McCarthy: "It is a confused, crazy scene."
by Gina Damron 4:16 PM

McCarthy: Young doesn't know where people are in the house. Young said Cipriano went upstairs and, when he came back down, Salvatore Cipriano did, as well.
by Gina Damron 4:16 PM

McCarthy is questioning whether Young was knocked down when Robert Cipriano was being attacked and if that is how the blood ended up on him.
by Gina Damron 4:14 PM

McCarthy: Cipriano was armed and had a bat. It wasn't until the second bat was available that Cipriano told him to hit Rose Cipriano. Young told the detective that he hit Rose one or two times.
by Gina Damron 4:10 PM

McCarthy: Isabella Cipriano brought the second bat into the room.
by Gina Damron 4:10 PM

McCarthy: Young said Cipriano went crazy, hit his dad, struck Young and handed him a bat and told him to deal with his mother, Rose.
by Gina Damron 4:08 PM

McCarthy claims doctor who testified wanted to minimize what was wrong with Young when he was at the hospital.
by Gina Damron 4:02 PM

McCarthy: Tucker Cipriano hit Young and dislocated his jaw.
by Gina Damron 4:01 PM

McCarthy: Tucker Cipriano is the one "with the rage."
by Gina Damron 4:00 PM

McCarthy: With those things in mind, it raises the question of what is it Young was actually going to do. He was there to do one thing and that was to get some money, personal property, wathever he can carry. "He didn't go there ot kill anybody."

McCarthy: Young told a detective that Cipriano brought gloves and gave him a pair.

Two other officers testified that Young was placed on a rug.
by Gina Damron 3:59 PM

McCarthy: That is an explanation as to why Young would have blood on his hands.

McCarthy: An officer testified Young was put on the floor, which was covered in blood.

McCarthy: Young ran up the stairs when police got there.
by Gina Damron 3:57 PM

McCarthy: Young had never been to that house before.
by Gina Damron 3:56 PM

McCarthy: Cipriano ran away from the home and left Young behind.
by Gina Damron 3:56 PM

McCarthy: Tucker Cipriano was able to discard clothing. If the neighbor is to be believed, Cipriano was wearing a hoodie.
by Gina Damron 3:52 PM

After the assault, Tucker Cipriano went to a home in Keego Harbor. Young was arrested at the home, taken to Botsford Hospital and his clothing was taken.
by Gina Damron 3:51 PM

McCarthy: Tucker Cipriano had time to clean himself up after the attack.
by Gina Damron 3:50 PM

McCarthy: A neighbor who saw Cipriano and Young before the attack testified Cipriano was wearing a hoodie. That hoodie was not examined.
by Gina Damron 3:50 PM

McCarthy: In a photo of the stairwell, where Rose and Salvatore were found injured, three rows of photographs from athletic teams can be seen. Tanner and Salvatore were athletes. McCarthy is asking whether Tucker Cipriano had resentment, rage. "He isn't a part of that family anymore. ... He's sore. He's got rage."
by Gina Damron 3:49 PM

McCarthy: Tucker Cipriano knows the house and knows his family. He says Cipriano planned to arm himself.
by Gina Damron 3:45 PM

McCarthy: When Young got entry into the house through a mud room, Tucker Cipriano walked in that room and picked up a bat. It was the Easton bat.
by Gina Damron 3:44 PM

McCarthy: "I submit to you there's no evidence in this record that anybody walked in with a weapon."

McCarthy: Young did agree to go back to the house to steal property.

McCarthy: Robert Cipriano was killed. Rose and Salvatore were injured. The question is what role did Young play?
by Gina Damron 3:43 PM

McCarthy: Can't engage in sympathy, in feeling sorry for Zinderman.
by Gina Damron 3:40 PM

McCarthy: Zinderman a useful witness to the prosecution. "He gives that key element of planning."
by Gina Damron 3:39 PM

McCarthy: Zinderman was given immunity. The only person who can tell you that Mitchell Young was involved in the commission of teh two B&Es, the only person who can say Tucker Cipriano was involved in the B&Es, is Zinderman.
by Gina Damron 3:38 PM

McCarthy said the jury needs to decide: "How am I going to believe this guy, Zinderman?"
by Gina Damron 3:37 PM

McCarthy: He said that Young could not be excluded from DNA found on a knife in the house, but it doesn't prove beyond a reasonable doubt that knife was brought in by Young.
by Gina Damron 3:36 PM

McCarthy: After the Visa was found to only have $2.65, they hatch a plan to kill the Cipriano family and decide who will kill who. But Tucker Cipriano loves Isabella, his 8 year old sister. Zinderman is the only person who says this.
by Gina Damron 3:35 PM

McCarthy: Cipriano and Zinderman go back to the house to break in again.
by Gina Damron 3:33 PM

McCarthy: The card is denied when they try to get $100 out of an ATM. That kind of money wouldn't get them to Mexico.
by Gina Damron 3:32 PM

McCarthy: They didn't go to Mexico, they went to by Spice.
by Gina Damron 3:31 PM

McCarthy is talking about the home invasions.
by Gina Damron 3:31 PM

McCarthy: Young didn't know Zinderman.
by Gina Damron 3:30 PM

McCarthy: Zinderman described Cipriano as his best friend, but also said he was fearful of Cipriano.
by Gina Damron 3:28 PM

McCarthy: In April 2012, Zinderman met Young for the first time. Zinderman testified that he had known Cipriano for years and met him at a special school for children with learning disabilities.
by Gina Damron 3:27 PM

McCarthy: He is going to asking for verdicts of not guilty. It all goes back to the plan, he said. It hinges on Zinderman, who was given immunity for his truthful testimony.
by Gina Damron 3:27 PM

McCarthy to jury: "A trial is a search for the truth and you all are the finders of fact."
by Gina Damron 3:25 PM

McCarthy giving his closing argument now.
by Gina Damron 3:25 PM

http://live.freep.com/Event/Live_blog_Mitchell_Young_trial_in_Cipriano_murder_case_3

STATES REBUTTAL CLOSING

hs5734.png

READ FROM BOTTOM UP

Thanks, everyone, for reading. We're going to end the blog for the day. Court will resume at 8:30 a.m. and the jury will be given instructions. Go to freep.com for more on this story.
by Gina Damron 5:09 PM

Young looked at his grandmother as he left the courtroom.
by Gina Damron 5:06 PM

Hi, everyone, the jury has been excused. The jury will return tomorrow morning for jury instructions.
by Gina Damron 5:05 PM

"He's guilty," Skrzynski said.
Young seemed to lightly shake his head.
by Gina Damron 5:04 PM

Skrzynski: Young is sitting there in the light of the evidence "for exaclty what he is."
by Gina Damron 5:04 PM

Skrzynski: Young's intent was to kill.
by Gina Damron 5:02 PM

"He's not crying because of his pain," Skrzynski said.
by Gina Damron 5:00 PM

Skrzynski: He cried because he was caught.

Skrzynski: Young was not under duress.

Skrzynski: If you look at the evidence, the job is easy, he said to the jury.
by Gina Damron 4:58 PM

Skrzynski said there are other explanations for Young's dislocated jaw. "Rose's broken finger is probably the best," he said.
by Gina Damron 4:54 PM

"He was not hit in the face with a bat," Skrzynski said.
by Gina Damron 4:53 PM

Skrzynski: A DNA expert said there was no DNA foreign to Young on his face. "No transfer, no hit."
by Gina Damron 4:53 PM

Skrzynski: Salvatore's blood was on Young's hands. If Young fell into blood, he wouldn't have had impact spatter on his clothing.
by Gina Damron 4:52 PM

Skrzynski: Young was not hit in the face with a bat.
by Gina Damron 4:51 PM

Skrzynski: Rose had a boxer's fracture on her pinky finger. "Rose Cipriano was fighting for her life."
by Gina Damron 4:50 PM

Skrzynski: Bob Cipriano was fighting for his life.
by Gina Damron 4:49 PM

"He's aiding and abetting everything," Skrzynski said, noting that Young helped Cipriano break into the house.
by Gina Damron 4:47 PM

Skrzynski: "Mitchell Young beat Robert Cipriano to death."
by Gina Damron 4:47 PM

Skrzynski: Who knows what a rage Young has, in response to McCarthy's claim that Tucker Cipriano was enraged.
by Gina Damron 4:46 PM

Skrzynski: Rose's DNA was on Tucker Cipriano's pants. His father's DNA is not there.
by Gina Damron 4:45 PM

Skrzynski: When Tucker went back to the house in Keego Harbor, his pants were ripped.
by Gina Damron 4:43 PM

Skrzynski: Maybe Tucker Cipriano and Young intended to use the knives, but the dog starts to bark and wakes everyone up. Robert Cipriano appeared. Somebody grabs that bat. Skrzynski said Young beat Robert Cipriano.
by Gina Damron 4:42 PM

Skrzynski: They were going there to carry out a plan to kill.
by Gina Damron 4:41 PM

Skrzynski: Zinderman didn't want to be part of that plan.
by Gina Damron 4:41 PM

Skrzynski is giving a rebuttal He said: Tucker Cipriano may be full of rage, but Young was covered in Robert Cipriano's blood.
by Gina Damron 4:38 PM

Judge Kumar excusing the jury for the evening

2rw49l4.png

Members of the Cipriano family

o70its.png

dzx94i.png

14ti5d.png

2li9z6e.png

So, did the DT's closing sway anyone over to the lesser charges?

It just didn't do it for me.

So, did the DT's closing sway anyone over to the lesser charges?

It just didn't do it for me.

I was only able to hear part of it and no it didn't.

Local 4 WDIV Detroit ‏@Local4News 1m

BREAKING: A verdict has been reached in the trial of Mitchell Young, who is charged with murder for the attacks on the Cipriano family.

https://twitter.com/Local4news

Mitchell Young found GUILTY on all five counts

Barely caught that on the live feed Guilty on all charges!

Local 4 WDIV Detroit ‏@Local4News 6m
BREAKING: Jury finds Mitchell Young guilty on all counts. #Local4
Retweeted by Sandra Ali
Expand

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members