MI - Timesha Beauchamp, 20, found alive at funeral home after being declared dead, Detroit, Aug 2020

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Timesha Beauchamp found alive at funeral home: Could be rare syndrome

Southfield Fire Chief Johnny Menifee called a news conference to set the record straight on what happened. He also suggested Beauchamp's revival may have been a case of Lazarus syndrome.

The rare — but hard to scientifically explain — phenomenon has been described in research papers as a delayed return of spontaneous circulation after CPR. The name alludes to the Biblical story of Lazarus, who was brought back to life by Jesus.

Over and over again, the chief responded to reporters seeking answers by saying the situation was "under investigation," eventually ending his own news conference by turning and walking out of the room as a reporter shouted a question at him.

At 7:27 a.m., Menifee said, the fire department responded to a 911 call about a woman who was not breathing. Paramedics, he said, offered help. They arrived at the home at 7:34 a.m. and a minute later started performing lifesaving procedures for about 30 minutes to try to save her.

Southfield police, Menifee said, then arrived at 8:07 a.m.

Two minutes later, the fire department reported its findings to a physician, who the chief said determined Beauchamp had died, based on the information paramedics relayed.

But then, Menifee said, between 8:09 a.m. and 8:38 a.m., a family member told fire officials Beauchamp appeared to be breathing and reassessed her. They ended up with the same result and conclusion: No life signs.

When paramedics went to their vehicle, Menifee said, a family member told a police officer Beauchamp had a heartbeat. They evaluated Beauchamp a third time, and, the chief said, they still detected no life signs.

At about 11:30 a.m., the James H. Cole Funeral Home picked up Beauchamp's body.

By Fieger's account, when the Detroit funeral home checked on Beauchamp her eyes were open — and she was breathing. From the funeral home, she was rushed to Sinai-Grace Hospital, where she has been on a respirator, clinging to life.

Timesha Beauchamp found alive at funeral home: Could be rare syndrome

Once the Southfield Police Chief "corrected" some of Geoffrey Fieger's sensational claims about the incident, there hasn't been any further mention of the lawsuit. In typical Fieger fashion, the bombastic ambulance chaser spouted off information that was inaccurate and not based on facts. Nice work, Geoff :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Nope. If all their testing showed she was no longer alive, I don't thing they did anything wrong.

Since she was obviously not dead- she was actually alive- it is clearer than the nose on your face that somebody or several somebodies along the way used extremely poor judgement and/or did not follow proper protocol to determine if somebody is actually dead. There is going to be money paid on this case due to negligence whether you recognize it or you don't. Whether Feiger is exaggerating or not, it is clear there are issues with this case.

I appreciate your opinion but have not seen extremely poor judgement or failure to follow proper protocol. I will agree with you that the family will get paid.
I appreciate your opinion but have not seen extremely poor judgement or failure to follow proper protocol. I will agree with you that the family will get paid.

I hope we find out exactly how this occurred but i imagine once it moves off the front page we will never really know.

I hope we find out exactly how this occurred but i imagine once it moves off the front page we will never really know.

Patient privacy laws (HIPAA) will preclude health information about Ms. Beauchamp being released to the public. We know that the young woman has health issues that may or may not have contributed to this unfortunate incident.

HIPAA Privacy
Featured snippet from the web
The HIPAA Privacy Rule establishes national standards to protect individuals' medical records and other personal health information and applies to health plans, health care clearinghouses, and those health care providers that conduct certain health care transactions electronically.

HIPAA Privacy - HHS.gov

It is good to see that there is oversight and investigations happening. I am sure that it is cold comfort to this family though.

I am unclear as to why they didn't transport her when she was having issues originally. Why not take her in? Covid? Or, were they encouraged to not transport people who seemed like they would not have a good quality of life in the Covid era? We know that doctors in TX were looking to set up panels to determine who received care. Is this a MI take on that? Just wondering.

I can’t wrap my head around how we are to believe EMT’s, firefighters, emergency room Dr, and the medical equipment are all wrong.
This has to be incredibly upsetting for the family. That aside, I have very strong doubts all those people were negligent. It just doesn’t make sense. What about the medical equipment?
IMO, this has to be Lazarus syndrome.

We see gross negligence all the time around here. Why is it so shocking? We'd rather believe what is little different than a miracle than that the EMT's failed to truly ascertain her death? I have $20 pulse ox. I'm pretty sure it would tell if someone was dead or alive since there would be pulse if they were dead. I'd like to know HOW they determined she was dead? Did someone literally rely on a finger on the wrist or neck? Why would they suspend these EMT's if they believed they'd done the right thing?

"Appearing dead" is not a reason to believe someone is dead with all the equipment to be found in an ambulance. But we already know the ER doctor was negligent since he declared someone dead without actually ascertaining the situation themselves. If the EMT and the ER doctor would do this why not something else slip shod? They were both caught doing something they shouldn't have done by asking and going along with determining death this way. There is no reason to believe they weren't lazy and negligent in other ways.

And I sure as heck wouldn't just be "grateful" my family member was alive if they suffered and failed to get proper medical care due to someone's negligence. I don't believe for one minute the people who say these ridiculous things would feel the same way if it was actually them loaded up in a body bag and shipped to the funeral home. :rolleyes:

We see gross negligence all the time around here. Why is it so shocking? We'd rather believe what is little different than a miracle than that the EMT's failed to truly ascertain her death? I have $20 pulse ox. I'm pretty sure it would tell if someone was dead or alive since there would be pulse if they were dead. I'd like to know HOW they determined she was dead? Did someone literally rely on a finger on the wrist or neck? Why would they suspend these EMT's if they believed they'd done the right thing?

"Appearing dead" is not a reason to believe someone is dead with all the equipment to be found in an ambulance. But we already know the ER doctor was negligent since he declared someone dead without actually ascertaining the situation themselves. If the EMT and the ER doctor would do this why not something else slip shod? They were both caught doing something they shouldn't have done by asking and going along with determining death this way. There is no reason to believe they weren't lazy and negligent in other ways.

And I sure as heck wouldn't just be "grateful" my family member was alive if they suffered and failed to get proper medical care due to someone's negligence. I don't believe for one minute the people who say these ridiculous things would feel the same way if it was actually them loaded up in a body bag and shipped to the funeral home. :rolleyes:

I wholeheartedly agree and especially with the bolded part.

It makes me really wonder if other people have died while sitting on a morgue's table or in one of those chutes where they store people until they get to them.

Years ago, this sort of thing did happen a lot more often than we want to admit. With today's technology and the equipment available to the first responders, there is no excuse for it. None.
JMO

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lbmeadows98
Back