MI - Timesha Beauchamp, 20, found alive at funeral home after being declared dead, Detroit, Aug 2020

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Once the Southfield Police Chief "corrected" some of Geoffrey Fieger's sensational claims about the incident, there hasn't been any further mention of the lawsuit. In typical Fieger fashion, the bombastic ambulance chaser spouted off information that was inaccurate and not based on facts. Nice work, Geoff :rolleyes:

Isn't Geoffrey Fieger that old William Kunsler wanna be?

According to the license suspension from the health department:

— Storms stopped resuscitation efforts six minutes before getting permission from a doctor who was contacted by phone. “At no point did (Storms) attempt to verify circulation or respiration” with a device such as a stethoscope.

“The vital signs and description depicted to the physician were inaccurate.”

— Minutes later, Storms went back into the home when family members said Beauchamp appeared to be breathing and had a pulse. He placed her on a monitor, which “clearly showed” electrical activity and revealed she “was not deceased.” Apparently no action was taken.

— Storms went inside again when relatives noticed signs of life. “Both times (Storms) failed to recognize the patient was still alive” and indicated that chest movement was normal due to her medication.

The state said Storms changed his report when it was uploaded a second time to an incident database the next day.

Beauchamp wasn’t taken to a hospital until Cole Funeral Home in Detroit called 911 hours later. Funeral home staff actually saw her chest moving earlier when they picked up the body at the Southfield home, the state said, but Beauchamp’s family said they were assured by the medical crew that she was dead.

An Oakland County agency that oversees local emergency medical services had access to Storms’ report and other information and shared its conclusions with the Michigan Division of EMS and Trauma.

Menifee told the AP that the state’s version of events is “very alarming and very concerning.” But at the same time, he said it’s “not how we understand what happened.”

State: Detroit-area paramedic misled doc about ‘dead’ woman

Beauchamp, meanwhile, remains in critical condition at a hospital. The family’s attorney, Geoffrey Fieger, said only her brain stem is functioning.

Every now and then you hear of horrific cases like this and you wonder how the system broke down that resulted in such a horror-- I saw the headline but didn't read the articles yet, but i will. Good ol' Jeff Feiger-- -- he gets all these types of cases----- Can't even imagine the horror that poor woman experienced--- that horror is worth a lot of
money!!!

Oh yes. I tapped a bus in Detroit 5 years ago on the way to the Tigers game. - My fault in my blind spot - going 5mph and ruined my passenger mirror. The next day, I had a fed ex from an attorney (and it was my fault, no ticket or damage to the bus lol- my boys tease me)

I’m still trying to figure out where the state got their info?
Other emergency workers on scene? Her family? Who are they relying on for honest information?

4 who treated woman wrongly declared dead sue over license suspensions

The federal lawsuit, filed on behalf of Southfield paramedic-firefighters Michael Storms and Scott Rickard, and EMT-firefighters Phillip Mulligan and Jake Kroll, seeks an injunction against the state license suspensions of all four stemming from their involvement.

Reports indicate emergency responders failed to recognize that when Beauchamp was placed on a monitor 13 minutes after they discontinued CPR, it indicated she was not deceased.

The lawsuit alleges the state and county agencies did not follow due process in suspending the employees' licenses and names them as defendants, as well as four MDHHS medical directors responsible for emergency medical trauma and preparedness.

A formal hearing on the status of each employee's license, initially set for earlier this week before an administrative law judge, was adjourned to a new date still to be determined.

Copies of the letters said the first responders discontinued CPR and were calling Beauchamp deceased for at least six minutes “prior to contacting the ER for permission to discontinue efforts.”

‘She’s still breathing': Hear 911 call from moment workers realized Southfield woman declared dead was alive

“I picked a deceased patient up from the house -- the mother told me she was deceased," a worker from the Cole Funeral Home in Detroit told the dispatcher. "She’s still breathing.”

The man told officials the girl’s eyes were open and she was clearly still alive.

“The person’s supposed to be deceased," he said. "(She’s) still breathing out of her mouth and her stomach.

“I’ve been doing this 32 years, and I’ve never had a situation like this before.”

You can listen to the full 911 call below.
Southfield 911 call

‘She’s still breathing': Hear 911 call from moment workers realized Southfield woman declared dead was alive

“I picked a deceased patient up from the house -- the mother told me she was deceased," a worker from the Cole Funeral Home in Detroit told the dispatcher. "She’s still breathing.”

The man told officials the girl’s eyes were open and she was clearly still alive.

“The person’s supposed to be deceased," he said. "(She’s) still breathing out of her mouth and her stomach.

“I’ve been doing this 32 years, and I’ve never had a situation like this before.”

You can listen to the full 911 call below.
Southfield 911 call

This was hard for me to understand. Do I have it right. The funeral home worker picked her up & her mother said she was deceased. He didn't notice her breathing at that time but noticed after he returned to the funeral home. tia

I listened to the 9-1-1 call twice and can't understand what is being said later in the call. It sounds like whoever made the call for emergency vehicle was in the front of the funeral home (in an office?) and returns to the (embalming?) room where he discovered earlier that Timesha was not deceased and that he could see and hear her breathing. There is some cross-talk in the background with another voice heard during the call. I suppose it could have been someone else at the funeral home. If anyone else listens to the 9-1-1 call and can "translate", I would greatly appreciate it.

Last edited:
I listened to the 9-1-1 call twice and can't understand what is being said later in the call. It sounds like whoever made the call for emergency vehicle was in the front of the funeral home (in an office?) and returns to the (embalming?) room where he discovered earlier that Timesha was not deceased and that he could see and hear her breathing. There is some cross-talk in the background with another voice heard during the call. I suppose it could have been someone else at the funeral home. If anyone else listens to the 9-1-1 call and can "translate", I would greatly appreciate it.

I just listened to it and yeah IMO I think there is another person with him when he was asked by the 911 operator to go back in near the patient and say "Now" every time he sees her breathing. When he is saying "Now" a bunch of times, another person also says "Now" and I think that was a person with him trying to help because they now have a live patient at the funeral home.

My understanding is this is at the funeral home when the funeral home discovered they have an alive person but were expecting a deceased one.
JMO

Last edited:
This was hard for me to understand. Do I have it right. The funeral home worker picked her up & her mother said she was deceased. He didn't notice her breathing at that time but noticed after he returned to the funeral home. tia

Yes that is my understanding as well. The poor worker(s) at the funeral home must have been flabbergasted when they realized she was still alive.

It is also possible that when he went to pick her up that she may have had a full sheet covering her up. It may have not been until he got back to the funeral home where they would roll back the sheet which would allow more observancy. Im pretty sure they never expect anything like this when picking up deceased individuals.
JMO

The 911 call a funeral home staffer placed was recorded at about 11:43 a.m., according to the tape.

The man told the dispatcher he had "picked a deceased patient up" but she was "still breathing out her mouth and ... stomach."

When the dispatcher asked if the woman was awake, the staffer said her eyes were open but stayed that way due to what the family described as a medical condition. Detroit officials edited out the details the man relayed.

The dispatcher told the worker, who had gone to the front of the funeral home building to wait for medics, to check how often the woman breathed.

The man said she was "breathing short breaths" and had been "constantly breathing. …her tongue is moving."

Listen: 911 call released of Detroit funeral home employee discovering woman alive

Geoffrey Fieger, a lawyer hired by the Beauchamp family said he believes after she was declared dead, police put Timesha in a body bag at her family’s home.

He said she was inside it, breathing, for about two and a half hours before she arrived at the James H Cole funeral home.

https://7news.com.au/news/world/timesha-beauchamp-found-alive-in-body-bag-at-funeral-home-c-1325783

Timesha remains in critical condition at a hospital.

Four medics who treated woman erroneously declared dead on leave amid probe

Fire Chief claims putting someone in a body bag is not part of their protocol and do not even carry them.

The circumstances surrounding the 9-1-1 call are strange, to be sure, but doesn't nearly six minutes seem an inordinate length of time for the dispatcher to determine that an ambulance needed to be sent to the funeral home? If this had been a true emergency situation - heart attack, stroke, serious injury, etc. - precious time would have been wasted in getting help to the location. I was not impressed by the 9-1-1 dispatcher and would not want to deal with him if I were calling for help in an urgent situation. Six minutes is a long time when someone's life is at stake. JMO

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kzrrz
Back