MI - Updates On Stanley Case-2008

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Yes. I believe this case should go into archives. They do not wish to retry it and I don't think more will be investigated.

One last quick thought for those had things to say and did not> My son had printed on his t-shirt when he was on the track team. "If you can't run with the big dogs...stay on the porch" For those who wouldn't stop beating up on the defendant that no longer sits in the Wayne County jail: "Some people are just hammers and to them everyone else is a nail" In this country (Thank God) it is not enough to believe someone guilty...you must prove it ways that are considered ethical within the law.
That was not done hear. God Bless and thanks again for those who understand the rules of law and chose to comment within the boundaries of descency. Take Care

One last quick thought for those had things to say and did not> My son had printed on his t-shirt when he was on the track team. "If you can't run with the big dogs...stay on the porch" For those who wouldn't stop beating up on the defendant that no longer sits in the Wayne County jail: "Some people are just hammers and to them everyone else is a nail" In this country (Thank God) it is not enough to believe someone guilty...you must prove it ways that are considered ethical within the law.
That was not done hear. God Bless and thanks again for those who understand the rules of law and chose to comment within the boundaries of descency. Take Care

Beautifuly said BB- You are one in a million, and please KIT. :blowkiss:

Chico- YES- With the negativity starting on this, I think you SHOULD archive this case. James and Alexis both deserve it. IMHO. :)

Chicogirl36
I expect to take a break from the forum circuit for a while as I have started on a book that has been my dream for sometime. Although I can't go into my background in detail I can say that I teach intelligence analysis for a very large university and have extensive experience as an investigator. Hopefully, this experience coupled with some persistence will carry me through to publication. Chicogirl36 and some others thanks for your objectivity and for knowing that justice is more than just pointing a finger. In the history of this earth, many great men (and women) were killed without one shred of meaningful evidence. May real justice prevail and may all of us love one another.

Bumblebug,
Best of luck in your endeavors. It was great to read your input throughout, informing the people of information the media would not disclose. I think you have helped many people understand so much about this case. It was a pleasure talking with you at the jail a while back.

First post here, but have been watching and reading from nearly the very beginning of this case.

Hello Everyone..
I remember this case when it first happened but have not heard anything of it really since then .But this is what i think i know the one sister had a boyfreind and he is the one that killed her forgive me i dont know the names and the story very well what iam wondering is what happened to the other sister was it homicide or no could someone give me an update about what actually happened to these nice girls and what happened to them...thanks if anyone can help..

MCDRAW
I too hope James can get his life back after spending nearly 16 months in the Wayne County jail. I can assure you that it was not pleasant seeing this case taking its toll on him each and every time I visited. I will visit him tomorrow and hope to pick him up after he takes a short trip to another county to tell them exactly why he was not able to pay child support during that time. Right after that I exprect to pick him up and bring him to my home for a few days and then sernd him on his way to visit his sister. After that I expect him to find a job and try to forget most of this mess. He told me he just wants out so he can rest a little before starting a job search.

I wish him the best!

I honestly believe that some Americans forget Innocent until proven guilty. Our justice system is broken and in need of fixing but it is what it is. We are innocent until proven guilty. Good Luck with your dream of writing your book.

CanManuh
The second sister's death (Kelly) was ruled as by natural causes - seizure. If go back through all the threads of this case you will get the whole story. Charges were dismissed on the first girl (Erin) after 16 month. The dismissal came when it was determined that her cause of death was not absolute because of contamination of the autopsy by an organ and tissue collection process.

wow thanks bumblebug, thats some crazy coincedences being only days apart the familly must feel like they did something pretty bad to piss god off to do this to them..

Chicogirl36
I expect to take a break from the forum circuit for a while as I have started on a book that has been my dream for sometime. Although I can't go into my background in detail I can say that I teach intelligence analysis for a very large university and have extensive experience as an investigator. Hopefully, this experience coupled with some persistence will carry me through to publication. Chicogirl36 and some others thanks for your objectivity and for knowing that justice is more than just pointing a finger. In the history of this earth, many great men (and women) were killed without one shred of meaningful evidence. May real justice prevail and may all of us love one another.

BB-
You are awesome and thank you answering my questions so eloquently in a public forum- Im sure others were wondering as well. You are so articulate and intellegent, I KNOW many great endeavors will come your way- Please KIT some way and PM me when your book comes out! I will be waiting! :)

ps- YEAH FOR JAMES ONE LAST TIME :woohoo::woohoo:

Like I have said, You earned your wings :angel: (now fly away to the beach! and get off this board...lol)

The entire forum is now in the archives except for this thread. You're still welcome to comment on this thread for any updates etc. in this case.

James is now free and hopefully everyone will leave him alone for a while. Right now he is looking for employment but already had a good lead. HAWG James saw Ash's attorney on Monday but did not have a lot of time because he had other papers to be filled out before we could leave. If Ash needs more info she can give me a call and I can relay her concerns. I am in the phone book and she knows where I live. Take Care. For the Record: I don't know if he has any future plans other than to find work and get on with his life.

Bumblebug,

I hope James is able to find a job soon. I'm sure he will have to take one day at a time. My brother has spent time in prison, I know it can be a rough transition from prison to the free world. My brother couldn't make that transition but I have confidence that James can do it and will have a good life.

I certainly don't have any control over James but if I were deprived of my life, liberty and pursuit of happiness for 16 months I would consider calling a high end Indy law firm and see if someone is interested in pursuing a settlement. Let's see I know people at Baker and Daniels, Ice Miller and several others. Would anyone like to give me a figure as to what I should ask for? Knowing James as I do, I suspect he will just move on and try to forget this whole mess. I do know that Erin's death hurt him greatly and that he misses his daughter.

pooky 169
Thanks for the update. I was told he had crones disease but I do not know if that was the cause of death. I was noted in bond hearing testimony that he drank a case of beer a day and certainly I can think of some other causes of death that might be related to consuming that much alcohol. From an investigative standpoint, I wonder if his wife will now have more to say about Erin's or Kelly's death. Believe it or not, no one has even contacted James to let him know where his daughter is or who to contact to schedule some sort of visitation. In all honestly I find it really strange. I wonder if someone other than Mrs. Stanley is taking care of her. If so, there needs to be a lot more transparency regarding her location.

pooky 169
Thanks for the update. I was told he had crones disease but I do not know if that was the cause of death. I was noted in bond hearing testimony that he drank a case of beer a day and certainly I can think of some other causes of death that might be related to consuming that much alcohol. From an investigative standpoint, I wonder if his wife will now have more to say about Erin's or Kelly's death. Believe it or not, no one has even contacted James to let him know where his daughter is or who to contact to schedule some sort of visitation. In all honestly I find it really strange. I wonder if someone other than Mrs. Stanley is taking care of her. If so, there needs to be a lot more transparency regarding her location.

James probably needs to hire an attorney to get visitation or even custody of his daughter. Whoever has custody of her probably won't contact him for fear of losing custody. JMO.

TO McDraw, Pookie, Chicogirl and ohers:
Here is a press release that was issued by the defense in this case. It's a terrific release and as you all can see the local paper left out most of it. Enjoy:
Re: State of Indiana v. James McFarland
Charge: Murder, Wayne Circuit Court
Richmond, Indiana
Death of Centerville sister, Erin Stanley, on September 1, 2007

Today, James McFarland has been released from charges filed almost 16 months ago. The charge against James has been dismissed.

The charge had always puzzled James. James had a loving relationship with Erin. They had no known dispute. They had lived together in the Stanley home for almost a year with James exhibiting no violent or threatening behavior to Erin whatsoever according to Erin’s own parents.

Although, the allegation was a manual strangulation, there were no signs of defensive wounds on James and no visible wounds to Erin Stanley according to the First Responder, EMTs, and Emergency Room Physician, and Coroner.

There was no known disturbance in the Stanley home on the night of Erin’s passing. Dale Stanley was in the room across the hall, and Lonny Stanley was up the hall.

Before Organ Harvesting, there was no suspicion of Strangulation or foul play.

In an effort to help or save other lives, a tissue donation was authorized by the Stanley Family. This donation occurred by way of an organ harvesting which occurred prior to the autopsy. The harvesting procedures caused the specific physical damage to the neck of Erin Stanley precisely in the sole location where the strangulation-like damage was observed. Immediately after the organ harvesters were done, the damage to the neck was observed.

The organ harvester who caused the damage was inept and poorly trained in extracting blood. The location of the blood draw was not even a choice on his blood draw form. The place where he says he extracted blood had no syringe marks at all. He claimed only three syringe sticks in the subclavian. The photographs reveal at least six and maybe more syringe sticks in the jugular vein on the left and right side of Erin’s neck. The Autopsy Pathologist stated that it is almost impossible to draw blood from the neck of a deceased person in the area of the actual sticks. The Pathologist concluded that it was certain that in addition to the six, or more syringe sticks, it was unknown how much poking into the interior of the neck would be necessary to attempt to access the vein to extract the many vials of blood.

The Final Pathology opinion of Dr. Joseph T. Czaja is that the cause of death of Erin Stanley was “undetermined.” He cannot scientifically support a conclusion of Strangulation. He came to this conclusion not out of bias toward James McFarland but rather through his commitment to scientific truth.

Although well-intentioned police officers and investigators had believed that the cause of death of Ms. Stanley was the result of a strangulation, that was ultimately determined to be based on a scientific conclusion that was unsound.

The Government sought and obtained a Second Pathologist’s opinion. Upon his review, Dr. Pramod Carpenter concluded, “I am unable to confidently determine whether strangulation took place with any reasonable degree of certainty.”

In sum:

1) Expert Pathological Analysis did not result in a conclusion of Strangulation.
2) The scene of death investigation provided no evidence to support Strangulation.
3) Erin’s parents’ recollection of the events of the night preceding the death of Erin Stanley are inconsistent with any physical altercation.
4) James McFarland’s statement to the police revealed no incriminating evidence or admissions.

There is no reason to conclude that a crime occurred.

There is no reason to conclude that James McFarland committed a crime.

Although it took over a year, the legal process has come to an end consistent with the principles of our legal system.

The tragic loss of Erin weighs heavy on all who cared for her, including James. Those who cared for Erin can know that there is not evidence of Strangulation.

This case is over. It is not over for any reason other than the lack of proof of any crime whatsoever.

This lack of any crime is true and is supported by two separate pathologists.

Also, the government had two excellent and experienced prosecutors.

People who know Mike Shipman know him to be a remarkably capable and poised prosecutor who is tenacious in his quest for justice. Sheila Zwickey has a distinguished career of principled and professional service. Together, they worked countless hours. It cannot and should not be said that the Government did not try to make a case. The Prosecutors put the best case possible together. They did not give up.

This case is over but not on the basis of any technicality.

Some people say that it is impossible to prove a “Negative” a “Non-event”. That is the task that the defense embraced. That was our charge. We have done our best.

We leave this event with the sadness that surrounds the tragic loss of a wonderful young woman way too soon. A baby has lost her mother. A family has lost their treasured children. James McFarland has lost his mate.

This remains pure tragedy.

We hope healing and recovery will follow.

Isn't it strange that James was in no way responsible for the actions that led to the Stanley's have temporary guardianship of Alexis. With the passing of Dale Stanley (Erin's dad) I would have to suspect that James will have a much easier time getting visitation rights as a minimum. It's hard to deny him those rights when all charges were dropped. I would think the GAL would be somewhat obligated to check into the new situation (death of Erin's dad) to see if the other side of the family can offer a better alternative. I believe James' uncle and his wife have been trying to have children for some time and he is now in his mid 30s. Both have graduate degrees and very good jobs. Perhaps they might be interested although I don't know. I just think both sides of the family should have been consulted before placing Alexis with Erin's parents. Those who knew Dale and Lonnie probably know why I made that statement. I hope you found the press release interesting. I certainly did.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Painauchocolat2024
Back