Midwest States - IL, IN, IA, KS, MI, MN, MO, SD, ND, NE, WI, OH - Weather Discussion

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Pretty intense Convection outlook for the states of Illinois, Ohio, Indiana area.

http://www.spc.noaa.gov/products/outlook/day1otlk.html

TorCon Index for the area

Wednesday, June 12

Scattered severe thunderstorms along a stationary front, probably initially as a storm cluster and possibly derecho (widespread damaging thunderstorm windstorm associated with a large bow echo on radar) in IA, south WI, north IL, south MI, north IN, north OH, west PA, WV, then likely followed in afternoon and evening by a mixture of supercell thunderstorms and smaller bow echoes in north and central IL, north and central IN, OH, east-central MO. TOR:CON - 5 central IL; 4 central IN; 3 south OH, WV; 2 to 3 rest of above area.

Isolated severe thunderstorms in central MT, northwest and north-central WY. TOR:CON - 2 to 3

BBM

We just had one of these 2 years ago...man did it cause a lot of damage...hope it doesn't happen again...

Eep! When I left work this afternoon (just before 5) it looked like my boyfriend's softball game might still be on. As I walked into my front door, downpour. I'm glued to the TV, because I hate storms, and there have been a few very loud cracks of thunder.

I'm in Madison, WI--the worst of it is passing us by. Whew. I've got my cellphone charged up, though, and a headlamp at the ready if I need to dash to the basement tonight.

now tornado warning for Holmes County, Ohio (millersburg - amish country)

Derecho?? Whaaaaat??

a widespread, long-lived, straight-line windstorm that is associated with a fast-moving band of severe thunderstorms. Generally, derechos are convection-induced and take on a bow echo(backward "C") form of squall line, forming in an area of wind divergence in the upper levels of the troposphere, within a region of low-level warm air advection and rich low-level moisture. They travel quickly in the direction of movement of their associated storms, similar to an outflow boundary (gust front), except that the wind is sustained and increases in strength behind the front, generally exceeding hurricane-force. A warm-weather phenomenon, derechos occur mostly in summer, especially during June and July in the Northern Hemisphere, within areas of moderately strong instability and moderately strong vertical wind shear. They may occur at any time of the year and occur as frequently at night as during the daylight hours.

Derecho - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Eep! When I left work this afternoon (just before 5) it looked like my boyfriend's softball game might still be on. As I walked into my front door, downpour. I'm glued to the TV, because I hate storms, and there have been a few very loud cracks of thunder.

I'm in Madison, WI--the worst of it is passing us by. Whew. I've got my cellphone charged up, though, and a headlamp at the ready if I need to dash to the basement tonight.

Let's hope it passes you by.

I'm thinking it may not be as bad as predicted....I hope I hope I hope.

I live in Kankakee county, IL. We had some good sized hail. I ran out and grabbed a couple after it stopped, and tried to rush them in before they melted. The best thing I had nearby for size ref was a potato.

Attachments

• 007.jpg
    007.jpg
    152.8 KB · Views: 35
Stay safe all......coming our way tomorrow with more flooding.

:please:

Let's hope it passes you by.

I'm thinking it may not be as bad as predicted....I hope I hope I hope.

Thank you, my Missouri friend! All the watches for my seem to have expired, other than a flood advisory, so all should be good the rest of the night.

Last night, we had some light storms/rain come through. This morning, they were saying the likely severity of tonight's weather, to some degree, depended on whether or not we would stay cloud-covered during the day. We did, with only a brief bit of sunshine (maybe a half hour or so?) this afternoon. That kept the atmosphere from heating up more, which kept things a *bit* calmer tonight.

The farmers around here are really taking a hit this spring, though. We had such a hot, dry summer last year, but this has been one of the coldest, wettest springs on record. It's been so wet that they can't get into the field to plant corn, or to harvest the first hay crop. We've gotten quite a bit of rain tonight, and while it's slowing down, it's still coming.

http://host.madison.com/news/local/...cle_5772c547-58ef-554c-abfb-31f5333231f9.html

Four trips to the basement - we have a tornado warning till midnight! No sleep tonight. Hope everyone is safe!

Thank you, my Missouri friend! All the watches for my seem to have expired, other than a flood advisory, so all should be good the rest of the night.

Last night, we had some light storms/rain come through. This morning, they were saying the likely severity of tonight's weather, to some degree, depended on whether or not we would stay cloud-covered during the day. We did, with only a brief bit of sunshine (maybe a half hour or so?) this afternoon. That kept the atmosphere from heating up more, which kept things a *bit* calmer tonight.

The farmers around here are really taking a hit this spring, though. We had such a hot, dry summer last year, but this has been one of the coldest, wettest springs on record. It's been so wet that they can't get into the field to plant corn, or to harvest the first hay crop. We've gotten quite a bit of rain tonight, and while it's slowing down, it's still coming.

http://host.madison.com/news/local/...cle_5772c547-58ef-554c-abfb-31f5333231f9.html

My garden went in late this spring due mostly to snow. For us it's like the last year's drought is getting it's due water with a vengeance. We are happy to have the water but good grief can't Mother Nature give it to us a little at a time instead of all at once?

You sure you don't want to sleep in the basement tonight? lol Might save some time.

Keep safe my friend.

Fifth trip! I wish I could! Small icky basement. If it comes down to it, I will find a way.

Air Quality Alert

Air Quality Alert For Friday June 21St The Michigan Department Of Environmental Quality Has Declared Friday...June 21St...To Be An Action Day For Elevated Levels Of Ozone. Pollutants Are Expected To Be In The Unhealthy For Sensitive Groups Range. The Action Day Is In Effect For The Following Michigan Counties... Macomb...Monroe...Oakland...St Clair...Washtenaw...And Wayne Counties. People And Businesses Are Urged To Avoid Activities Which Lead To Ozone Formation. These Activities Include...Refueling Vehicles Or Topping Off When Refueling...Using Gasoline Powered Lawn Equipment...And Using Charcoal Lighter Fluid. Positive Activities Include...Car Pooling...Delaying Or Combining Errands...And Using Water Based Paints. It Is Recommended That Active Children And Adults...And Persons With Respiratory Diseases Such As Asthma...Limit Prolonged Outdoor Exertion.

http://detroit.justweather.com/severe/

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member